The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the Highland Games. HM bought some moonstone jewelry. I got a new kilt (in U.S. Army tartan). Ate bangers, haggis, fish and chips. Drank Newcastle Brown. Yeah, a good day.

Oh, and found out what the wonderful sauce they put on the haggis was. HP Sauce. Look for it on the internet, your local grocer, British import shop, wherever. Definitely worth it.
 
Went to the Highland Games. HM bought some moonstone jewelry. I got a new kilt (in U.S. Army tartan). Ate bangers, haggis, fish and chips. Drank Newcastle Brown. Yeah, a good day.

Oh, and found out what the wonderful sauce they put on the haggis was. HP Sauce. Look for it on the internet, your local grocer, British import shop, wherever. Definitely worth it.

What is HP sauce?
 
It's the wondeful sauce you put on haggis. He already said that.

Too much BBQ make you deaf or sumthin??? :D

No. I think it was the large quantities of mojitos. Or it could have been the three bottles of wine. Not really sure.
 
Ah, I see. It's a condiment sauce, much like ketchup, steak or bbq sauce. Interesting.

Yes. Consider it the ketchup that the Scots (renowned chefs that they are) put on top of their sheep lung, oatmeal and lard puddings. (aka Haggis!).
 
"Yes. Consider it the ketchup that the Scots (renowned chefs that they are) put on top of their sheep lung, oatmeal and lard puddings. (aka Haggis!)."--Amy

Ever check what goes into salsiccia? :devil:
 
You got that right! I'd say the Scots have weird tastes, but then again they could say that about me liking my sauerkraut as part of a good Reuben sandwich. ;)

The Scots were adapted to eat the tough food available in their environment. I'm glad I don't live there.
 
Ireland and Scotland are on my bucket list.

What? Not Sicily?? Or at least Italy???

You can EAT there, unlike freakin Scotland and the weather is WAY better! ;)





This advertisement was sponsored by:

The Help Support Amy's Relatives in the Old Country so the Bastardos Don't Call Her for Money Association
 
Last edited:
What? Not Sicily?? Or at least Italy???

You can EAT there, unlike freakin Scotland and the weather is WAY better! ;)





This advertisement was sponsored by:

The Help Support Amy's Relatives in the Old Country so the Bastardos Don't Call Her for Money Association

Well, that depends on when. Never, I repeat never get south of Rome in July or August. You will die. The heat is intense and since it sticks out into the middle of the Med the humidity resembles N'Ahlins. However, you definitely can eat there. We visited the original Alfredo's in Rome. Yes, the pasta Alfredo is just as good as you think. I think I must have ordered al vongole in white sauce three or four times. And the lamb up in the mountains? I'm drooling all over my keyboard just remembering. Italian beer is terrible. But then, British wine is undrinkable. So pick your time and loosen your belt. urp!
 
What? Not Sicily?? Or at least Italy???

You can EAT there, unlike freakin Scotland and the weather is WAY better! ;)





This advertisement was sponsored by:

The Help Support Amy's Relatives in the Old Country so the Bastardos Don't Call Her for Money Association

Of course! I also want to see France, Spain and a multitude of other countries.
 
What is HP sauce?

There an interesting piece on it in Wiki. When Heinz took it over and moved production to Holland, there was uproar; to a connoisseur it is NOT the same stuff at all. And the stuff you get over in the 'states is also different:

"Varieties

HP Sauce is available in a range of formats and sizes, including the iconic 9oz or 255g glass bottle, squeezy plastic bottle, and TopDown bottle.

Also the ingredients vary markedly. In 2007 for example the varieties from USA and Canada were less concentrated and more fruity.[7] In addition, a number of other products exist under the HP brand.

HP Fruity is a milder version of the Original brown sauce, using a blend of fruits including oranges and mango to give a milder, tangier taste. This variety has been renamed "HP Chicken & Rib" in Canada and the US (though it can be found in some stores with the original name).
HP Bold is a spicier variant in Canada.
HP BBQ Sauce is a range of barbecue sauces, and is the UK's best selling barbecue sauce product.[8]
In March 2008, HP also announced the launch of HP Steak Sauce.
HP Guinness is a limited edition recipe which includes the famous Irish Stout.
In the summer of 2008 a version with less salt (25%) and sugar (30%) than the original HP Sauce was released.
Since 2011 HP sauce has been manufactured with a new reduced sodium recipe 0.8mg per 100ml, the traditional recipe was 1.2mg sodium per 100mls. This was a direct result of Government policy with regard to salt levels in food.

Consumers report that the taste is now more sour or even tastes "off", which has led to complaints to Heinz."


One thing is worthy of note; HP sauce never has been a Scottish product.


Yes. Consider it the ketchup that the Scots (renowned chefs that they are) put on top of their sheep lung, oatmeal and lard puddings. (aka Haggis!).

It might have been that way back in the dark days, but not so much now.

"Haggis is a kind of savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (offal); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally encased in the animal's stomach and simmered for approximately three hours. Most modern commercial haggis is prepared in a sausage casing rather than an actual stomach.

As the 2001 English edition of the Larousse Gastronomique puts it, "Although its description is not immediately appealing, haggis has an excellent nutty texture and delicious savoury flavour".
"

I agree; it is quite tasty and filling.

Of course! I also want to see France, Spain and a multitude of other countries.

We'd all like to do that, Molly.

One last gastronomic thought, Bear.
England had vines planted by the Romans. We do make wine of excellent quality (if we get the right weather, such as a few years ago). And it was universally reckoned to be better than most French Châteaux stuff.
But you DO have to look for it (there's a vineyard of good repute a few miles from me which is on my "to do" list.).
 
Most French wines are swill! Even the French won't drink them and the government has to buy the stuff up (on EU subsidy, of course). They store it in ginormous tank farms and then process it down into industrial ethanol at a huge loss. But it keeps the farmers from rioting . . .

Global warming may turn GB into the new Rhine Valley!
 
Most French wines are swill! Even the French won't drink them and the government has to buy the stuff up (on EU subsidy, of course). They store it in ginormous tank farms and then process it down into industrial ethanol at a huge loss. But it keeps the farmers from rioting . . .

Global warming may turn GB into the new Rhine Valley!

That might not be a bad thing. . . .
 
From what history tells us, global warming is always followed by an Ice Age. The Vikings didn't call "Greenland" for the ice, you know!
 
People are always predicting disaster, no matter what is foreseen. If the Ice Age returns, the sea levels will lower again by about 1-200 feet opening up vast areas of rich sea bottom farmland around Southern Europe, N. Africa, the East Coast of South America, etc. Yes, we'll have to move. No, civilization won't fall. And just think, SoCal will become a great place to wear tweeds!
 
Homemade Chicken and Sausage Gumbo for supper. I'm one happy camper. :D

It's spicy enough to break a sweat just eating it. :eek:

Anti-acids before bed for sure but it is delicious. :cool:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top