Love on the High Seas

TheKindMaster

Experienced
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Posts
96
Please PM interest. My writing style is described in the first post of my Sanctuary. The link is in my signature.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The cruiseship stood proudly in the harbour, waiting patiently for its passengers. As he unloaded my bags from the cab, Adrian took a moment to take in a breath of the atmosphere building on the docks.

He had won this trip on a local radio competition. At first, he wasn't sure whether he should go. Being a very successful stockbroker left him very little time to relax and enjoy life. But when he landed the Jefferson deal last week, he was told to take a holiday. It couldn't have come at a better time.*

Inside, the crusie ship was even more beautiful. The carpeted hallways were soft under each step, the crystal clear windows giving amazing views in each direction. His cabin had everything, including his own private deck with jacuzzi.

He collapsed on the bed, smiling to himself. Then again, he would be smiling a lot more once we returned.

He unpacked his bag, changed into a casual shirt and shorts, slipping on some flip flops. He then made his way to the top deck to watch the ship leave the harbour. He surveyed the city behind him, which had only been filled with work and no play for months. Now that he was on this cruise, he realised how much he needed this break. He ordered a cocktail, settled a table, and started people watching. It seemed to be mostly couples. In fact, he hadn't seen another lone traveller since he had set foot on the ship. He would just have to immerse himself in all the activities the ship had to offer.
 
Last edited:
As he sat at the bar on the top deck, he cast his eyes out to sea again. But he longer looked back at where they had come from, but forward to where this ship would sail. What adventure lay ahead was anyone's guess. He had no time to do any research on the ports they would be stopping at over the next twenty days. In a way, this kind of relaxed him. He was so used to having total control over his work projects, knowing every single detail. Not knowing what was ahead gave him some excitement, if not a little trepidation at the same time.

Tearing his eyes from the ocean view, he scanned the rest of the bar. Couples and more couples. But, just as he was about to turn back to the barman for another drinks, his eyes fell on her.

Beauty surrounded them. Beauty lay ahead. But beauty did not describe her well enough. He was awestruck. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Yet, if his eyes weren't lying to him, she was also alone. Probably just waiting for her partner to return.

"Let's wait and see", he said to himself, ordering another cocktail.
 
Adrian watched her a good twenty minutes. She seemed very at ease, conversing easily with the crew members that approached her. But there was no sign of a partner. She was alone, just like him.

It had been a while since Adrian had approached a woman. He couldn't even remember the last one, so his game was inevitably going to be a little rusty. But beauty of this kind only crossed his path once a blue moon. Being the only other single person on the cruise, or so it seemed, his chances had to be better. He picked up his cocktail, and made his way over to her.

Standing behind her, he smiled as he thought of a cheesy line, but seemed apt for the moment.

"Beautiful view".
 
Had this beautiful woman been watching him too? No, of course not. She had merely noticed him at a nearby table, and was surprised to see him so close.

"It tastes deadly too. Though I say its lighter than what's in your hand", smiling and nodding at the brandy.

"No, I'm travelling alone. A sort of bonus from my company for a good year. Now that I'm here, starting to realise I really needed it".

He debated whether or not to sit down. He didn't want to intrude. Ah hell, he went for it.

Sitting down,"So please tell me when to stand up so I don't piss off your husband or boyfriend", he said with a smile.
 
Last edited:
They made small talk for a few minutes, until Adrian had finished his second cocktail. The waiter reappeared almost instantly. He ordered two.

"If it looks deadly, you have to try it", he said with a smile.

Moments later, they were in hand. Sipping at his, he realised he didn't know her name. But the mystery was fun, so he let it run for a bit.

"So, mystery woman, what brings you aboard the elegant SS Eithne?"
 
Adrian noticed something was not right, but he did not know no where near well enough to probe.

"I was ordered by my boss to take a holiday. Work was running my life for months, and only coming on this cruise have I seen it".

He sipped more at the cocktail. For the first time that year, he felt relaxed. He was really looking forward to the next three weeks. More importantly, it looked like he might have some company for the activities.
 
"Oh ok", hoping he hadn't said anything to upset her. "Hopefully I'll see you around", he said as she left.

He sat, pondering what had just happened. He thought back to whether he had been right, whether there was something deeper. But he brushed it off, finished his cocktail, and made his way down to his cabin. He took a shower, and changed into something a little more formal for dinner. He headed for the Captain's Table restaurant, which offered spectacular views as the ship made its way to the Caribbean. He ordered the fillet steak and a good bottle of wine. He sat back and sighed. This was the life.
 
Adrian enjoyed the succulent cut of steak he had ever tasted, along with a good portion of very chunky chips. The bottle of red wine just topped off a great meal. He passed on the dessert, remembering seeing on the brochure that there was an ice cream parlour on a higher deck. Maybe after a slow walk and some fresh air, he'd have room for one.

Donning his jacket again, he stepped out onto the west side of the ship. The air was cool and crisp. He was glad of the jacket. Nights at sea could be very cold. Thinking about the king bed waiting for him in his cabin warmed him slightly.

He took the stairs to the second highest deck, and headed back inside. On this level was the aforementioned ice cream parlour, a bar, a coffee shop, and a stage where looked like it was about to start. He got his ice cream and settled down to watch the show. He enjoyed the ice cream while scanning his fellow passengers. All of a sudden, SHE walked past and into the coffee shop. His mind went back to the awkward ending of the afternoon conversation. He wanted to go ask if she was OK, but he didn't want to intrude. He decided to give her some space, but no way as he giving up on her yet.
 
He saw her come out of the coffee shop and sit at a table not far away. He had trouble keeping his eyes on the show, spectacular as it was. It was some sort of acrobatic show with a water them. Go figure.

It went on for another two hours, and at its conclusion, received a standing ovation. Adrian hoped all shows on board lived up to that standard.

He retired back to his cabin shortly after. It had been a long day. He had a quick shower, then got into bed.

The next morning, he was woken by the rays of sunlight through the window. He smiled as he thought they were worse places ways to be waking up.

He dressed in a light shirt and shorts, donning his favourite brown sandals. He had heard good things about the The Anchor breakfast bar, so he decided to go check it out. The rumours were true. He had a delicious breakfast of eggs, rashers, toast and as much coffee as he could drink.

Fed and watered, he contemplated his options in terms of activities. He fancied a massage at the onboard spa.
 
Last edited:
But on his way to the spa lounge, a flyer caught Adrian's eye. The entertainers that had put on such a good show the night before would be at the theater that morning teaching passengers on how to do the tricks! Now this sounded liked fun, he thought.

He made his way over, only to find the place practically deserted. Never mind, he thought, I'll give it a go. At first, he attempted juggling. He failed dramatically. Then it was the balancing act. Not much more success there either. After that, he said he would take a break and just observe for a while. Other passengers did far better than he did, but it was all good fun.

He was just about to leave, when who would walk in? Having been seated by a volunteer, he made his way over to her.

"Hello again", he said with a smile.
 
He laughed,

"Yeah had a go at the juggling and balancing thing. I sucked at both!"

He sat down beside her,

"You should give them a go. It's good fun."

Every fibre in his being was going into not staring at her gorgeous body. He wasn't a creep, but any red blooded male would struggle not to stare. But yet she was surprisingly approachable. Something did not add up.
 
He chuckled at her nervousness.

"Come on, I'll go back up there and embarrass myself again if you do with me".

She reluctantly agreed. They went back up on stage to the jugglers. They each grasped three skittles and listened to the instructions. Once they were over, it was their turn. Adrian went first, and sucked even more. But when Maxine attempted, she was surprisingly good.

"Wow ok! Now I feel completely useless!", he said with a laugh.
 
Adrian nodded, smiling,

"Sure. Don't think I could stand you upstaging me for a second time!", flashing a cheeky smile.

They made their way out into the sea air. The sun was shining, but there was a nice, cool breeze to offset some of the heat. It was the perfect combination. Somehow, they found themselves walking down the side of the ship, side by side.

"So, I've met you twice now, you have embarrassed me on stage. But I don't know your name", he said smiling. "There's something not right there.

I'm Adrian."
 
Back
Top