Illinois friends!

The village does send around a plow, but it's never done well, and we live with a layer of snow/ice on the road til it melts. Ad no salt, just sand.

If I can get to the highway, I'm good. But that's five miles of county road to get there.

I don't know which is worse, the salt or the sand. I feel like I am constantly washing the Jeep to keep the salt/sand off the car. I enjoy living in a smaller town though, even if I have to drive 30 minutes or more to get to a larger town. All we really have here is a few gas stations, an IGA, and a Dollar General.

I don't know which is worse, the salt or the sand. I feel like I am constantly washing the Jeep to keep the salt/sand off the car. I enjoy living in a smaller town though, even if I have to drive 30 minutes or more to get to a larger town. All we really have here is a few gas stations, an IGA, and a Dollar General.
A least the sand doesn't rust my car.

You have more than me! One gas station, no IGA, no Dollar General! Only place to shop is the little mom and pop grocery store. I think we're about twelve blocks by twelve blocks here, total.

You have more than me! One gas station, no IGA, no Dollar General! Only place to shop is the little mom and pop grocery store. I think we're about twelve blocks by twelve blocks here, total.

I think the only reason we have that much is that we're right off the interstate. We probably aren't much bigger, our population is under 3000. And, I hate shopping at IGA, they are so damn expensive. If I need one or two things, I'll go there. But, if I have major grocery shopping to do, I'll drive the 30 minutes into the nearest town to go to Krogers.

And true, sand doesn't rust the car, but tends to chip the clear coat. My Jeep may not be new (2003) but it is really good condition, with under 100k miles. I'd like to keep it pretty, haha! Sometimes I miss my Trailblazer, but it had over 100k miles, and was starting to need a lot of repairs. It had more cargo room, but ah well.

And you have more than me! Our small town has 2 churches in the village for a population of 364. Its a "dry" town so no gas stations or stores. Just a post office, a school.

Man, I'm feeling so lazy today. I don't feel like doing anything, and I have so much crap to do. It was supposed to be my "deep" cleaning day, where I scrub everything down really well to disinfect and yada yada. Yeah, I haven't done anything today.

And you have more than me! Our small town has 2 churches in the village for a population of 364. Its a "dry" town so no gas stations or stores. Just a post office, a school.
All right, got me beat. 800 here, and at least we have the bars...

Yikes! Dry towns suck. I couldn't imagine. I'm not a lush, but I do enjoy a few drinks now and then.

I love Sundays, it's the one day I cook a breakfast, today it's Bob Evans sausage, hash browns and a couple over easy with toast. Then 3 or 4 loads of laundry. I do not love laundry.

I love Sundays, it's the one day I cook a breakfast, today it's Bob Evans sausage, hash browns and a couple over easy with toast. Then 3 or 4 loads of laundry. I do not love laundry.

I hate laundry. Living in an apartment, I have to lug it down a flight of stairs, into my car, and then into the laundromat. Spend 2.5 hours at the laundromat washing/drying/folding, to lug it all home and back up the stairs. Ugh. I usually wait until it's 5-6 loads before going, otherwise the hassle seems pointless to me.

I'm making italian beef today, as cold as it is, it will be a nice, warm, fill you up kind of meal. And, since I make it in the crockpot, I don't have to stand in the kitchen all day, which is good, since I have a project to finish.

I'm originally from Chicago and still have family in Chicagoland. Good luck with the freezing rain today. I hope it doesn't turn the roads into a huge sheet of ice. Be careful out there!

The town just north of us in Illinois was about the same size and it had a couple churches, two bars, and the KC hall. Needless to say I spent quite a few Sundays up there and not for church..lol

So the town I live in still has a noon whistle. It's really just the tornado siren, but they set it off everyday around noon, and anytime there is an emergency. Today, it went off twice in 15 minutes, for a solid 2 minutes each time. And, since it was so close to noon, they didn't sound it at noon. I was trying to research why they sound it at noon everyday, couldn't find the answer, but I did find an interesting article about the town's history. The brick roads I mentioned, were put down in 1915. The building I live in was constructed in 1894. It's an old town full of history, which is interesting!

So the town I live in still has a noon whistle. It's really just the tornado siren, but they set it off everyday around noon, and anytime there is an emergency. Today, it went off twice in 15 minutes, for a solid 2 minutes each time. And, since it was so close to noon, they didn't sound it at noon. I was trying to research why they sound it at noon everyday, couldn't find the answer, but I did find an interesting article about the town's history. The brick roads I mentioned, were put down in 1915. The building I live in was constructed in 1894. It's an old town full of history, which is interesting!
The town I grew up in sounded the siren at noon, and still does. It goes back to the days when farmers spent all day in the fields and it was the alert that it was lunchtime. It also applied to workers in town, as well as the school. My family had a farm outside of Mazon from the turn of the century to the early '70's, I used to love hearing the stories of old-time things like that from my grandparents.

The town I grew up in sounded the siren at noon, and still does. It goes back to the days when farmers spent all day in the fields and it was the alert that it was lunchtime. It also applied to workers in town, as well as the school. My family had a farm outside of Mazon from the turn of the century to the early '70's, I used to love hearing the stories of old-time things like that from my grandparents.

You're going to laugh at this, but the first time I heard the siren go off here at noon, I freaked out, looked out the windows, and turned on the weather radio. Effingham didn't have a noon siren, and none of the other towns I've lived in have either. And I have lived all over Central Illinois. The next day, it went off again, and my husband explained to me that it does everyday at noon. My daughter goes to school at 12:20, so we use that as her get ready alarm.

You're going to laugh at this, but the first time I heard the siren go off here at noon, I freaked out, looked out the windows, and turned on the weather radio. Effingham didn't have a noon siren, and none of the other towns I've lived in have either. And I have lived all over Central Illinois. The next day, it went off again, and my husband explained to me that it does everyday at noon. My daughter goes to school at 12:20, so we use that as her get ready alarm.
Ours goes off every day at ten, and then again at noon. I think the ten o'clock one is at the prison - a test every day maybe? Or some kind of shift change?

I didn't get it at first either, Photograph - didn't have one in the city I grew up in, and I always used to worry when I heard it. They use it for the fire station too - it's how they call in the volunteer firefighters when they need them.

Ice storm?

Well the ice storm was a non-event over here by me. How did everyone else fare? At least it's warm for a couple days! 7 hours on campus today. Ugh.

Well the ice storm was a non-event over here by me. How did everyone else fare? At least it's warm for a couple days! 7 hours on campus today. Ugh.

Not much here today either. Fairly warm as well, 53 according to my atomic clock. Man I hate Mondays...

I realize we are doing a lot of talking about the weather, just like old midwesterners, but damn, I didn't even wear my coat today! And I'm in Lake County, almost as far North as you can get in Il. What a strange winter.

I realize we are doing a lot of talking about the weather, just like old midwesterners, but damn, I didn't even wear my coat today! And I'm in Lake County, almost as far North as you can get in Il. What a strange winter.
I hear ya Wile E, wait a couple days......winter again

Isn't it great? Me, neither!

I haven't even looked outside today, let alone gone out there. Kinda pathetic haha yet kinda good.

I've had my windows open today. It got up to almost 60, so I figured I'd take advantage and air out my apartment. It's nice to have the fresh air.

Ok, more weather chat. I had to run into town tonight, and holy cow was it foggy!! It was so thick, I couldn't see more than 15 ft in front of me. They are calling for possible severe thunderstorms tomorrow, and heavy rain. Perfect.

Ok, more weather chat. I had to run into town tonight, and holy cow was it foggy!! It was so thick, I couldn't see more than 15 ft in front of me. They are calling for possible severe thunderstorms tomorrow, and heavy rain. Perfect.
It's been thunderstorming here all night. Lightning and everything. Crazy!

Back