How Disgusting Is Too Disgusting?

Its not any one thing, but how much there is of it.

If something fits a story I can deal with it, but only up until it goes from what is necessary to prove a point in the story to "in your face, think that was nasty try this" over the top shock for the sake of shock.

best example is an author named Jack Ketchum. If you are not familiar with him, Mr K wrote a book called Off Season that has pretty much become a cult classic for its over the top disgusting cannibalistic gore.

The story had a basic premise, bunch of kids get lost in the woods, turn into cannibals, fuck each other even though their sibs and keep reproducing, they attack three vacationing couples in a cabin....it would be a so so book at best, but its rep is based on the ridiculous amount of sick violence.

It went beyond what would make sense to a blow by blow watch me top this, watch me get even nastier gore fest. When I read it I had read more horror novels and seen more slasher flicks than I could remember. This came out in the "scream bloody gore" movie days so I made it through some sick shit without batting an eye.

This is the only book I ever put down. It got to a scene that I won;t even describe and its not that I couldn't handle it, it became, why? Are you kidding?

So for me no one thing will be too much for me, its how its portrayed I have out grown "look at me, look how cool I am"

If something fits a story I can deal with it, but only up until it goes from what is necessary to prove a point in the story to "in your face, think that was nasty try this" over the top shock for the sake of shock.

best example is an author named Jack Ketchum. If you are not familiar with him, Mr K wrote a book called Off Season that has pretty much become a cult classic for its over the top disgusting cannibalistic gore.

The story had a basic premise, bunch of kids get lost in the woods, turn into cannibals, fuck each other even though their sibs and keep reproducing, they attack three vacationing couples in a cabin....it would be a so so book at best, but its rep is based on the ridiculous amount of sick violence.

It went beyond what would make sense to a blow by blow watch me top this, watch me get even nastier gore fest. When I read it I had read more horror novels and seen more slasher flicks than I could remember. This came out in the "scream bloody gore" movie days so I made it through some sick shit without batting an eye.

This is the only book I ever put down. It got to a scene that I won;t even describe and its not that I couldn't handle it, it became, why? Are you kidding?

So for me no one thing will be too much for me, its how its portrayed I have out grown "look at me, look how cool I am"

I recently read a book where a private eye was hiding in a bathroom and two old gays came in for anal sex. When the pitcher came he cut loose a fart from hell that nauseated the PI. I thought of PILOT. It was groady.

I recently read a book where a private eye was hiding in a bathroom and two old gays came in for anal sex. When the pitcher came he cut loose a fart from hell that nauseated the PI. I thought of PILOT. It was groady.

The only fart scene I recall is the two kids lighting their farts in KIng's "It" if I remember right it somehow turned into one kid starting to stroke the other kids cock then after a minute the kid punched him out.

At this point, you have to tell us.

At this point, you have to tell us.

Sorry, I'm a gore tease:rolleyes:

I will give the author credit, to this day its a scene that if for whatever reason my mnd wanders across it (like now) it makes me shudder so I guess he gets a point for it, but it was just unnecessary, at least in full detail, it was like okay, enough already, we get it. Great way to mask a mediocre at best book.

The only fart scene I recall is the two kids lighting their farts in KIng's "It" if I remember right it somehow turned into one kid starting to stroke the other kids cock then after a minute the kid punched him out.

I vaguely remember it. IT needs to be 1/2 as long as it is.

I vaguely remember it. IT needs to be 1/2 as long as it is.

Many of his books fit that bill.

Remember when they made a big deal about re-releasing The Stand with the extra 300+ pages that were originally edited out?

There was a reason they were:rolleyes:

His book Insomnia was not only the cure for said condition, but to me, was his worst book ever, in fact one of the worst books I've read period. That was well past the point people became afraid to edit him.

Many of his books fit that bill.

Remember when they made a big deal about re-releasing The Stand with the extra 300+ pages that were originally edited out?

There was a reason they were:rolleyes:

His book Insomnia was not only the cure for said condition, but to me, was his worst book ever, in fact one of the worst books I've read period. That was well past the point people became afraid to edit him.

I'd edit him, and he'd fire me. He's one of my favorite writers and I'd carve him a new story asshole, because he writes too much.

I wanna add girls with tumors and acne and birthmarks to my oeuvre.

Never saw it.

But I do remember being about 14 years old and thinking how much I'd like to put the moves on Lieutenant Dan.

Well its not like he could run away on you.

There, I went there, I said it. According to my wife that will add to the already long list of reasons I'll burn.

But oh, well.

I'm waiting on the amputees.

(Have you done those yet?)

I actually bumped into an amputee piece on Lit a while back. It wasn't like I was disgusted - I just lost interest in the story and dropped it. Like most fetishes it gets ridiculous fast, if you don't share it.

Back