The Official Author's Hangout Valentine's Day 2013 Contest Support Thread

I'm behind on mine. A paying story needs a rewrite so I'm tied down to that at the moment.

Today's Jan 24 which means a) it's my birthday and b) three weeks until Valentine's Day! Also less than two weeks left for contest entries. Good luck everybody! (Looks like mine won't happen. Sigh.)

Today's Jan 24 which means a) it's my birthday and b) three weeks until Valentine's Day! Also less than two weeks left for contest entries. Good luck everybody! (Looks like mine won't happen. Sigh.)

Happy Birthday, sweet lady. :rose: :kiss:

That rewrite didn't take as long as I thought it would. It was more removing a scene and splicing things back together with something less graphic.

The only problem is that i now have a full grown plot bunny that won't take no for an answer. I they thought the scene was too graphic before. Wait until I finish with it for here on lit. :devil:

It's set in February but not Valentines Day. More like Daytona for Speedweek.

Contest analysis - Valentine's Day Contest 2013

Good evening. The anachronisms tell me that there are 30 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.22 from an average of 310 votes. Stories had an average of 14,853 views, an average of 6 favorites, and an average of 10 comments. The average ratio of votes to views is 1.79%. The average number of pages is 3.1, with the longest story being 7 pages.

So far there have been a total of 7,147 votes, 445,600 views, 198 favorites and 305 comments.

The standard deviation of scores (from the average of 4.22) is 0.63 and the standard deviation of votes (from the average of 310) is 298. The median score is 4.43, the median number of votes is 151 and the median number of pages is 3. The top 25% of scores are 4.66 or above and the bottom 25% of scores are 3.96 or below.

Categories entered (alphabetic order)

• Anal (2 stories)
  • BDSM (1 story)
  • Erotic Couplings (3 stories)
  • Fetish (1 story)
  • First Time (2 stories)
  • Gay Male (1 story)
  • Incest/Taboo (5 stories)
  • Loving Wives (4 stories)
  • NonHuman (1 story)
  • Novels and Novellas (2 stories)
  • Romance (7 stories)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy (1 story)

Views by category

• Incest/Taboo: 221,724 (49.8%)
  • Loving Wives: 92,336 (20.7%)
  • Romance: 39,774 (8.9%)
  • First Time: 28,715 (6.4%)
  • Anal: 17,147 (3.8%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 16,769 (3.8%)
  • Novels and Novellas: 9,345 (2.1%)
  • BDSM: 6,185 (1.4%)
  • Gay Male: 5,634 (1.3%)
  • Fetish: 4,771 (1.1%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 3,200 (0.7%)
  • NonHuman: 0 (0.0%)

Comments by category

• Loving Wives: 143 (46.9%)
  • Incest/Taboo: 60 (19.7%)
  • Romance: 52 (17.0%)
  • First Time: 14 (4.6%)
  • Gay Male: 8 (2.6%)
  • Novels and Novellas: 8 (2.6%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 6 (2.0%)
  • BDSM: 5 (1.6%)
  • Fetish: 4 (1.3%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 3 (1.0%)
  • Anal: 2 (0.7%)

Favorites by category

• Incest/Taboo: 92 (46.5%)
  • Romance: 31 (15.7%)
  • Loving Wives: 27 (13.6%)
  • First Time: 13 (6.6%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 12 (6.1%)
  • Gay Male: 9 (4.5%)
  • Novels and Novellas: 6 (3.0%)
  • Anal: 4 (2.0%)
  • Fetish: 4 (2.0%)
  • BDSM: 0 (0.0%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 0 (0.0%)

Votes by category

• Loving Wives: 2,450 (34.3%)
  • Incest/Taboo: 2,448 (34.3%)
  • Romance: 976 (13.7%)
  • First Time: 454 (6.4%)
  • Erotic Couplings: 232 (3.2%)
  • Novels and Novellas: 208 (2.9%)
  • Anal: 163 (2.3%)
  • Gay Male: 84 (1.2%)
  • Fetish: 56 (0.8%)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 42 (0.6%)
  • BDSM: 34 (0.5%)

Average scores by category

• Novels and Novellas: 4.70
  • First Time: 4.59
  • Gay Male: 4.55
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 4.43
  • Fetish: 4.40
  • Loving Wives: 3.64
  • Incest/Taboo: 3.59
  • BDSM: 3.35
  • Erotic Couplings: 2.82
  • Romance: 2.37
  • Anal: 2.10
  • NonHuman: 0.00

Hotness by category

• Novels and Novellas: 100%
  • Gay Male: 100%
  • First Time: 50%
  • Incest/Taboo: 40%
  • Romance: 29%

Number of views, votes, comments per day

• 20 Jan (Sunday) : 4 views, 0 votes, 12 comments
  • 21 Jan (Monday) : 114,886 views, 969 votes, 76 comments
  • 22 Jan (Tuesday) : 139,611 views, 2,601 votes, 90 comments
  • 23 Jan (Wednesday) : 126,329 views, 2,274 votes, 88 comments
  • 24 Jan (Thursday) : 64,770 views, 1,303 votes, 39 comments

New stories today

Authors entered so far are:

BenLong, carlieplum, DG Hear (2), geronimo_appleby (2), glynndah, HeyAll, Ironiclaconic, JagFarlane, luvthedesserts (2), msgrant67, MSTarot, nicerack, OctavianEarth, qingming, RedHairedandFriendly, RjThoughts, sexnovella, silkstockingslover, sirhugs, sr71plt (2), SusanJillParker, sweet_lusciousdesire, Totzman, Tx Tall Tales, xelliebabex, YDB95

Disclaimer

Because of the way this site works these figures will not be totally up-to-date. For a given story the score shown on the category page, the author's page, and the toplists page, can all be different. Also it appears that various pages update at different times of the day, sometimes quite infrequently.

Please do not PM me asking for more detailed information. I do not wish to skew contest results by giving a target for voting manipulation.

Contest page: Valentine's Day Contest 2013

help is on the way...

[size=+1]Please don't mind the Aussie DARKBOY Alt and his bizarre numbers (standard deviation?). We'll soon have accurate and complete contest scores up so every author will have access to them and not just a few AHlland insiders...[/size]

Wow! My story posted in less than twelve hours. That's awfully fast. One lonely little comment so far.

You mean every troll will then know exactly who to bomb and who to pump up.

That's the way you roll. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the stats!

Some nice story additions in the last few days. Still hopeful I will finish up my second story, but we'll see.

Do "they" still say the weekend is a bad time to post a contest story? I just found one on my hard drive. It's short, different, and moving, or at least it moved me, since I had forgotten how it ended. (Sometimes memory loss can be a good thing. :cathappy: )

Do "they" still say the weekend is a bad time to post a contest story? I just found one on my hard drive. It's short, different, and moving, or at least it moved me, since I had forgotten how it ended. (Sometimes memory loss can be a good thing. :cathappy: )

I don't know the reality of this. I do know that I consistently get more comments and favorites on my stories on a Sunday than on any other day of the week.

Sundays, Tuesday, and Thursdays seem to be the highest read days I've seen. It's always a toss up. And it seems to vary with the time of the year.

Loving some of the entries so far! I think this is one of my favorite contests, even if my own story feels like a bit of an afterthought.

How does the submission work? Do I add in the notes field that it's for the Valentines contest?
Do I also refer to it at the beginning of the story?

Enter VALENTINES DAY STORY CONTEST 2013 in the Notes field. (It has to be typed exactly like that.) You don't need to refer to it in the story itself, although the story should have some connection to Valentine's Day.

Nice, sun_sea_sky. I like the list of stories just added - I wouldn't have thought of doing that. It's nice to have the median information as well - unaffected by outliers.

Also interesting to note that the categories with the most views and comments aren't the highest rated. I expected it for Loving Wives, but not the others.

It's not a perfect correlation, but I find the more comments my stories attract, the lower the score. Attracting comments is a sign of eliciting a strong reaction from lots of readers, and of course not all those reactions are going to be positive ones. Also, people whose only reaction is "I loved it!" are likely to give you five stars, but not bother actually saying as much in a comment.

It's not a perfect correlation, but I find the more comments my stories attract, the lower the score. Attracting comments is a sign of eliciting a strong reaction from lots of readers, and of course not all those reactions are going to be positive ones. Also, people whose only reaction is "I loved it!" are likely to give you five stars, but not bother actually saying as much in a comment.

That's true. Those comments are nice, but not as rewarding as the meatier ones, are they?

How does the submission work? Do I add in the notes field that it's for the Valentines contest?

Laurel suggests that you copy and paste the Valentine Contest thing from the contest sticky at the top of the AH page directly to the notes field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loquere

Laurel suggests that you copy and paste the Valentine Contest thing from the contest sticky at the top of the AH page directly to the notes field.

It's not a suggestion; it's a requirement. :eek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loquere

It's not a suggestion; it's a requirement. :eek:

Yes Box it is required but some people just type it in. I was suggesting cut and paste as she was in the sticky.

Back