Transphobic Humor

But in the UK we have 'taking the piss' - it's loaded with irony and in context a blond joke is perfectly acceptable and the underlying message attacks the blond prejudice.

Since we're talking comedy, here's a guy who attacks every prejudice you can think of by telling jokes about niggers ( Jeez - I hate that word ) to white people. His message as I read it is 'racial prejudice? that was years ago and we've moved on'. OK I know that's going to trigger a response because we all know RP is alive and well. But does R Hunter do a good or bad job? Is his portrayal of the harmless black funny guy reinforcing a stereotype? Or is he showing that it's people that have a sense of humour and race is irrelevant.

http://youtu.be/Sb7ghkEi32w

Reginald Hunter is the fucking messiah :) Seen that one before, but thanks for reminding me .

For some reason, your remarks reminded me of Mel Brooks, talking about his rationale for making The Producers. He said [and this is not going to be an exact quote] that you couldn't out-rhetoric the likes of Hitler and other extreme political leaders, because that's the thing they were born to do - so ridicule, as far as he was concerned, was the most potent weapon to use against them.

This pic isn't humourous in any way - but it's a very thought provoking one. It's a couple of adult film stars - a guy called Buck Angel and a girl called Stoya

http://buckangel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/stoya-buck-fleshbot-682x1024.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words, and this speaks volumes about the similarities and differences between men and women. In many ways Mr. Angel could be said to be more of a man than me - I was born this way and didn't do anything about it. He had to make a serious effort. I am sure that there's a way to make the same point through humour, although I confess I don't have the talent to do it - at least not in a hundred words or less.

But in the UK we have 'taking the piss' - it's loaded with irony and in context a blond joke is perfectly acceptable and the underlying message attacks the blond prejudice.

Since we're talking comedy, here's a guy who attacks every prejudice you can think of by telling jokes about niggers ( Jeez - I hate that word ) to white people. His message as I read it is 'racial prejudice? that was years ago and we've moved on'. OK I know that's going to trigger a response because we all know RP is alive and well. But does R Hunter do a good or bad job? Is his portrayal of the harmless black funny guy reinforcing a stereotype? Or is he showing that it's people that have a sense of humour and race is irrelevant.

I think he's hilarious. I wouldn't say he's showing race is irrelevant but he is showing us that it should be and could be.

You're such a damned tease :rolleyes:

Just trying to please.;)

But really wouldn't it make a great novel. It would need two very good writers one trans and one lesbian. It could explore their meeting, their internal struggle, their falling in love, their life together, the sadness's and the joys. Even flash backs to their childhood, showing how those struggles shaped the beings they became. How each had different struggles but in essence the same.

If only I was a good fiction writer.

I admit a similar story has run through my mind before...

OK, here we go again - Another petition. I've followed this one for a few days and now they have somewhere to sign.
A journalist hounded an inventor, discovered she was transgender and despite her initial co-operation and trust that he would not disclose her status, he went ahead and published the story, informed all her investors, did the whole bit and she tragically took her own life. He still has his job and hasn't apologised.

Read more here
https://www.change.org/petitions/espn-fire-caleb-hannan-for-outing-a-trans-woman-and-change-your-lgbt-policies

I admit a similar story has run through my mind before...

OK, here we go again - Another petition. I've followed this one for a few days and now they have somewhere to sign.
A journalist hounded an inventor, discovered she was transgender and despite her initial co-operation and trust that he would not disclose her status, he went ahead and published the story, informed all her investors, did the whole bit and she tragically took her own life. He still has his job and hasn't apologised.

Read more here
https://www.change.org/petitions/espn-fire-caleb-hannan-for-outing-a-trans-woman-and-change-your-lgbt-policies

Signed

Racism, sexism and what not is bad. Humour in itself is not bad. It is the human beings who uses it who are bad. Just like George Carlin said "there is nothing wrong with the word in of themselves. It is the context the word is used.

George Carlin - They are only WORDS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUvdXxhLPa8

i guess I didn't say I signed both, which I did. I kind just assumed you'd know I would.

I think humor can be a powerful tool, either for good or for evil (that is not hyperbole; transphobia is evil). While the differences can be subtle, I think most people are capable of discerning between humor that is neutral, humor that is positive, and humor that hurts.

For example, Colbert's satire is sometimes subtle (it's usually very obvious), but most of his fans are able to discern that it is satire based on his inflection, his body language, his choice of words, or other contextual clues. Consequently, it is usually clear that his jokes are aimed at the oppressor rather than the oppressed. These markers are missing from the transphobic jokes alluded to in the petition.

It is not naive or overly idealistic (underly pragmatic?) to request a basic level of recognition and respect for trans* people, and trans* people and their allies should not resign themselves to accepting derision or to "growing a thick skin" (no one should). Now, more than ever, great progress can be made quickly on this issue due to demographic shifts and the interwebs. As with marriage equality, it just takes persistence (although celebrity advocates can help a lot).

It's awesome to see the discussion here!

We also have our fair number of loons and fakes, but it's important they have somewhere to go ;)
So - how goes the campaign? Had any correspondence from their PAs or lawyers?

5700 signed, 4300 still needed...

Last edited:
Back