A Family Friend, A Favor - Gunslinger Wanted

He gave her a good-natured grin,

"If it's all the same I'll stay out here, comfortable for now, perhaps when the chill sets in I'll find another place."

Again he watched her leave and he had to admit, he didn't find fault with what he saw. She would make some man lucky, she had the makings of a fine wife and she was very easy on the eye. He sipped his coffee, collected his shirt and after washing his face and torso, he slipped on the shirt, found and lit his cigarette and made a slow tour of the fence to make sure all was well. The smell of stew, beans and what he assumed to be flapjacks made his stomach rumble and he figured that perhaps a meal would not hurt too much.

This time he entered through the kitchen door, appraising it's sturdiness and the fastenings, it should hold a few men at bay that was for sure. He noticed that a place had been set for him, he slipped off his hat and placed the now-empty cup on the table. Then he took a seat,

"I do believe this seat is mine for the time-being?"
 
Pouring three cups of coffee, even Maggie growing up on the stuff, breakfast began with little ceremony. Whilst other families prayed before a meal, Sophia had trouble believing that a God existed considering the current hardships and family deaths. If he did exist then he was selfish for calling so many to his side and leaving just the girls to run the ranch.

"It's yours as long as needed," she smiled, putting a plate in front of him.

Sophia wiped her hands on the plain apron she wore before sitting down. Maggie already seated, looked at Greg to see what he would do. Usually it was up to their father to say grace or begin eating, although since his passing dinner time had been rather unceremonious. And Maggie was unsure why.

"So, are you going to set Mr Stark straight today?" Maggie piped up, and Sophia slowly took a bite of flapjack before looking over to Greg.

"Actually, I have something really important to ask you, Maggie..." Sophia began, knowing that if her sister was anything like she was that some argument would probably break out.

"But eat up for now, and we'll talk about it later. "
 
Greg West

Well then, he was not a religious man, so he did not pray for his food, he started to eat when Maggie asked her question, he allowed Sophie to answer he and for what it was worth threw in his few cents,

"I don't know the man and will not pretend that I do, but I have come to learn that men respect only two sorts of power, money and this..."

He patted the barrel of the rifle as it stood next to his chair,

"And since there is no way that you will be able to buy him off, because if you could I would not be here. But I can not ride up to the man and start shooting, that is not how I work. There is a bit more honor to it."
 
Maggie wanted to argue that fighting a man without honor in an honorable way was stupid, but she was curious about why Sophia didn't want to talk about this important business right then. However, since she was a rather obedient sister, she simply ate. They continued with breakfast for about fifteen minutes before Sophia refilled coffee mugs. There was no room for groggy work hands today, not with everything that needed to be done.

"Mr West, I'll leave defenses to you, I'll see to getting Maggie ready and saddling the horses...all the paperwork she'll need is in pa's desk."

A spoon dropped into a bowl loudly, and Sophia knew she had let the cat out of the bag. Maggie looked up as if she's been slapped.

"What do you mean? I'm not going anywhere!" she cried, pushing back her chair and standing up. Her hands flat on the table as she gave her older sister an evil glare.

Sophia stood up as well, but in a less distraught and chaotic fashion. "Maggie, the only way we'll keep this land is if we get the deed of ownership to Aunty Grace. I won't leave you here alone, and I cannot trust sending it via mail...I need one of us," she said, stepping closer to her sister and putting her hand on her shoulder as she said the rest, "A Dorsett, to take it. To guard it with her life and to make sure Aunty get's it. She's our only chance for maintaining this land legally...and as long as Mr West can make sure it's not taken forcefully, it's our only real chance. If Mr Stak get's his hands on that Deed, we have no claim to our land...don't you see?"

She tried to explain, and Maggie understood after a while, but she still turned red as she started to cry. "But I don't want to go..." she shrieked, running off into her room and slamming the door.

Sitting down again, Sophia phyically sighed. "She'll go, and I wish she didn't have to...but she'll be safer...won't she?" she asked, putting her head in her hands as she tried to compose herself again.
 
Greg "Rattler" West

"As safe as any female of her age could be. Usually land barons only have sway in their immediate location."

He grimaced,

"If this Stark had sway anywhere else he'd be using lawful tactics through friends of his. This is not my first rodeo, but it is the first one where there was more than one bull."

He rose, picked up his rifle and mug,

"Thank you for the food."

He moved to the door,

"Perhaps one day you should say thank you that God allows you to still breathe and walk as rightous a path that you would ever walk."

He gave her a small lopsided grin,

"But that is none of my business."

He pushed open the door and stepped outside, eyes scanning the surroundings with the sharpness of a man used to ambush. There was none and he suspected that their main concern would be in the town, the trouble would be that he had to ride into town with two strangers and there everybody would be a threat. He sighed, sipped his coffee and moved to the stalls.
 
It took a good hour to get Maggie packed up and ready to leave. Whilst the girl was far from happy about it, she also looked forward to living in the city. Since they were very young they had only been to their Aunt's twice, but friends were easy to make (unlike on the land) and the fairest of the two daughters was often spoiled with nice dresses and china dolls.

Leaving the house, Sophia carried a pair of saddlebags and the trusty rifle slung diagonally across her back. Maggie followed close behind dressed in something that would befit a woman heading to the city.

They found Mr West around the stalls, and within half an hour the horses had been groomed and saddled and brought out in front of the barn.

"We'll do as you say from now on," Sophia explained, the Deed to the farm hidden on Maggie (not in one of the saddlebags, but inserted inside the boning of her lightly bound corset) so that only the most vigorous of examinations would find it.

The morning had crept on, and they might just arrive in town by lunch if they made good time.
 
John "Rattler" West

"I hate to leave the homestead unattended, but there is no other way."

He moved over and helped Maggie into her saddle, he had no need to even offer the same to Sophia, she sat in the saddle allready, he swung into his own saddle, making sure his rifle sat ready,

"Let's make this quick, I want to be back before those sidewinders gets wind of us not being here."

His horse only needed a light touch and it set off at a canter
 
Maggie gripped the reins tightly and one hand rested on the front of her saddle as she cantered off after him. She wasn't as experienced in the saddle, but knew how to not fall off, as long as they didn't go through deep water or down any steep slopes. Sophia went last, making sure to keep an eye on their tail as they headed to town.

There was a large expanse of grassland and rolling fields before coming to a wooded area and river, then another expanse of open land and then the main trail that led into town. From there they would only take a half hours ride, but she wondered if Stark would have men watching the main road just in case.

The trip back could be at lightning speed, but with Maggie all dressed up they couldn't exactly gallop freely.
 
The trip went by quickly, with directions gave to him as they rode, he didn't see any sentinels, nobody watching them, but he was no super man and he knew that even he could miss something. They rode into town, it was like any other frontier town, only with a few more buildings, he stopped outside the post office,

"I want to send out word to those men I mentioned yesterday. It will be quick, go get the ticket for the coach, I'll meet you there."

With that he entered the office, within a few moments a simple message raced along the wires: Rattler

He paid for the telegrams and stepped outside, as he had expected, two men waited for him, hands on the grips of their pistols, he looked them over,

"You the guy who can't mind his own business?"

Greg didn't reply, instead he walked the three steps towards his horse, deliberately turning his back on them,

"Hey mister! I'm talking to you!"

He looked over his shoulder,

"My name is Greg West, people call me The Rattler."

As his words sank in and the look of fear touched their eyes, he led the horse over to where those stood of the two women. At least now the challenge will come as they try to gain notoriety by being the one who gunned down The Rattler, that bought them time.
 
The girls tied their horses out the front of the post office, with Sophia keeping an almost paranoid look out for any suspicious men. Walking only a few shops away, they entered the small building that housed the train station and approached the sales booth. An elderly man with white hair and gold rimmed glasses welcomed them, and Sophia was speedy about booking Maggie on the next train.

"You girls have a good day, it will be two hours before we expect the train," was the last thing that the girls heard before stepping back out onto the wooden sidewalk.

There were at least five people who knew who the Dorsett daughters were, four of them were townsfolk that looked briefly before carrying on with their business. One however caught their eye and held it for far too long. It was one of the Stark son's, and he had spotted them well and truly.

Sophia kept her eye on him as she hurried Maggie over to the Post Office. Mr West seemed to have also noticed some of Stark's men, and already the air was a little tense.

"Maggie and I might go into the tea house, we know the owner and she is rather nice." Sophia said openly, obviously they couldn't hide where they were going to wait for two hours, nor did she plan on it.

However, she stepped in closer to Greg and whispered in his ear as he passed. "Train doesn't arrive for two hours, and the middle son of Mr Stark has noticed us."
 
"I will go with you."

He tied his horse next to their's and fell into step with them, he looked straight ahead, his voce casual as he spoke,

"It will basically take an hour for the word to spread, there's no bounty for me, so the Sheriff can't do much. But Stark's son might see a chance to make his father proud, use the men or even try by himself to come gunning for me."

He paused and pushed the door open for the two girls,

"No matter the outcome, it will buy you time enough to get to the train."

He followed and closed the door behind him, very much aware of eyes on him.
 
Back
Top