Newbies, this one's for you!

BlazeofLife

Maleficent Messiah
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Posts
11,040
I've noticed that a lot of people who are new to the boards are asking questions in different threads, which is a good thing, because asking is the best way to find out the answer. But it made me wonder, if this many people ARE asking questions, how many are there out there who AREN'T?
To address this, this is a thread meant to cater to the newbies (although even experienced players are welcome to post too), providing a forum in which to ask questions, advice, or anything else.
Hopefully I'll have the answer, but if I don't, there's a large number of people on the board who will have the answer, and at least this thread will get the question out there. As well, since this thread is for the express purpose of answering questions by inexperienced players, there need be no fear of appearing 'stupid'.
So come on, people, ask away, and let's see if we can find you some answers!
Good luck, and have fun!
 
Hello BlazeofLife,

Well I am a newbie to this whole online gaming thing so I hope you are still keeping track of this thread and are willing to answer some questions. The first thing I guess I would like to know is how do I get started, I mean what is the polite way to ask to join a game? Do I just say hey can I play or what? And then how do I start a game? I have quit a few ideas for story lines. Well I look forward to reading your reply.

Shade and Sweetwater to you,
Starfire:rose:
 
Sorry I have one more question, how do I get an avatar? Like I said I am completly new to this whole thing.

Shade and Sweetwater,
Starfire30:confused:
 
Hi starfire!

I hated being a newbie, not knowing! lol I have no idea where Blaze is, so if you don't mind, I'll answer your questions. :)

To join an online role playing game alrady in progress, your best bet is to find one that has 20 or fewer posts. That means that the although the story has a plot line, its still new enough to allow for new characters and still allow the story to flow. Sometimes if you read a thread that has many posts, you can find an opening, but in that case said a PM to the person who created the thread to ask to join.

If a thread sais CLOSED or OPEN TO INVITE ONLY, then its a thread created for certain people and its best just to read it and enjoy it, or again you can PM the thread starter and request to join.

Its always best to post your characters bio in your first post of the thread. You can always add details later by using the EDIT option of the post (found on the right side on the bottom bar of the post).

To start your own, make sure you have a really good idea! lol But i'm sure they're all good. Go to (Create new thread) usually found in the left corner at the bottom of the screen. You need a catchy subject, thats what we see in the online forum, that gives a little about what the thread it about. Then, since you are creating the first post in the thread, give details of what the story line is about, and if you are playing a character, post your characters bio.

Avatar = When you reach 100 posts, in your Edit Options section of your User Control Panel, you will be able to Change Avatar. You can upload a picture there then it will be displayed. I know its a bummer, I couldnt wait unil I reached 100! Its a monumental moment! And then, when you reach 1000 posts, you can create your own little catch phrase under your name.

I hope that helps. Anymore Q's you can go to IF you are a newbie or hack/slasher, you need to read this:

http://www.literotica.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57954
 
Not that this applies to the questions here, but...

If any newbies are interested in joining a thread that is about to start, instead of already started, check out the "What's your interest level?" thread, where we're bouncing around ideas to get the forum moving again. Everyone's welcome, I believe...everybody usually is.
 
Thank you for the info Lady Violet. I am sure it will lead me in the right direction. This is such a new thing for me, but I am enjoying it very much. Thanks to you too Cool, I will have to check that out.

Shade and Sweetwater
 
I think you'll like it here starfire. I am newbie myself and I have found that the people here are very friendly and helpful with any questions that may have no matter what board you are on.
Enjoy ;)
 
Hey Starfire, Lady V's right, and I guess she petty much covered your questions before I could get to them. *grin*
Another thing you can try, if the thread interests you and its gone beyond 20 posts, is to see if there's a casting call for it. Casting Calls are made for the purpose of posting profiles and asking questions about the main thread, so they're the perfect place to ask to join a work in progress. Also, it aloows a forum where you and the other people involved can figure out a way to introduce your character into the storyline without disruption to the plot.
Hope you like it here, and keep asking questions!

BTW, if you're curious about post counts...
you start with virgin status
30: you become experienced
100: you get to select an avatar, which is simply an image, downloaded from your computer, which can be no more than 150 x 150 in dimension
300: you become really really experienced
500: literotica guru
1000: you can add your own title

Good Luck, and have fun!!!
 
hehehe
Thanks, I like this one too
It keeps getting me in trouble though, 'cause it makes me look like a female.
I'm gonna change it later, back to something a little more...
accurate.
 
See thats what happens when people assum. Anyway it is still very cool. I can only hope to find one as cool.
 
thanks blaze

thanks for the redirect, i'm assuming at 100 you become really exp? oh, and i like the AV, i like all the ones i've seen you put up. if poeple give you crap it's not their problem! do what you want buddy
 
No problem, thanks, and keep the questions coming!
Keep up the good work!
 
A question...

Hey Blaze, I'm not really a newby, but I've got a big question. I don't know if you can help, but here goes - for some reason, the system keeps marking my posts Unregistered. Several times, I made sure I was logged in, I posted, and STILL it would mark me Unregistered!!! What the hell is going on? Am I the only one with this problem? Seriously, half my posts turn up Unregistered, and it's making me look like a moron. Help!
 
It happens because Lit thinks you've left, because you've been quiet for a period of time which exceeds its limit.
To fix the problem, go to control panel, then edit options, and you'll see a checkbox for "browse site with cookies", (or something to that effect, thats not a direct quote) check it "yes", and your problem should go away.
 
I'm glad someone here knows what questions to ask (starfire), I can't even figure that out! Thanks for all the info.
 
I've been playing RPGs in chat rooms for almost 7 years (I know, long time) but I've never played on a message board. I've already joined a story and started my own. I'm liking it so far. Its a lot similar to the chat style. The only difference is usually the person (s) is/aren't right there at the same time to fire back with an attack or say something. I think having the experiance of chat RPGs has helped make it easier for me to figure this system out. Well, enough ranting. Keep up the good work.
 
Trey Fitty, AriaSilverfyre, welcome to both of you! Hope you have fun here. You're right, Aria, the experience from other formats does tend to give you an advantage here, as long as you have the patience to wait for the other person to post their next reply!
Anyway, have fun, and
Good Luck!!!

Blaze
 
Even tho I'm not a "newb" to these boards or to online gaming, am a newb to THIS board. I've been playing MMORPG's for about 2.5 years now and been doing games like warhammer and vampire with real life friends for about 4 years now. Think thats enough experience to get into a GOOD game here?
 
Oh, and what if there is a good game going on and lots of people on and replying to the same game at the same time? What happens if 2 people take the start of a game into each a different direction since they both posted at the same exact minute? Whose post do you take?
 
Firstly, there's plenty of people on this board who have absolutely NO experience with RL RPGs who do just fine, so your experiences should easily warrant your inclusion in nearly any thread you choose, provided you pick one thats still accepting new players.

As for your second question, its never come up that I've seen, and I can't speak for how any other GM would handle it, since there's no etiquette involved that I'm aware of. However, for myself, assuming that it happened in one of the threads that I am running...
It would first be up to the two players themselves, in case one or the other decided that the other's post was better and retracted their own. If, however, it could not be resolved at the player level, it becomes a GM decision, to be decided at his/her discretion.
I would judge it in terms of relevance to the thread, writing proficiency, and suitable character development. Basically, whichever served to further the plotline better, would in my opinion get to keep their post.
Keep in mind, this is only my opinion on this particular subject, and doesn't necessarily reflect the decisions of any other GM. This simply illustrates my own philosophy on the topic.
Its actually an interesting question, and one that I had never thought of before. (I just hope it never comes up, I'd rather not be put in the position of having to judge someone's post for merit, because EVERYONE'S post has merit to it, regardless of their writing proficiency. Its the content that counts, not the skill with which its written.)
 
Thanks for the response Blaze. Ya, that would be the only let down that running this on the internet. Where as in real life you don't have that problem. Plus I'm not sure if I have the patience to read and catch up on something that I might be a day or so behind on because of work or what not. I think I might make up my own game and run it as soon as I have enough time.
 
Hey Trey Fitty, you will figure it all out, I am slowly but surely. By the way good questions everybody.

Shade and sweetwater
 
Back
Top