New author seeking advice

LeeGrossman

Virgin
Greetings,

I'm a brand new author who's never posted anything. I've idly read LitErotica on and off for years, but have yet to contribute.

A few weeks ago I decided to take the plunge. Now I have a few questions that I was hoping more experienced authors could help out with.

First is the length of the work. I've been toying with three story ideas, and the one I decided to write first is turning out to be rather long. It's 13,000 words now, and will probably push past 15,000 before I'm done.

Is this too long for a Lit Erotica story? I see a lot of stories broken into chapters, but I really don't want to break this one up. It's already divided into short sections/scenes, about eight so far, but I don't feel any would make a good break point, nor would these work on their own. It feels like one story, at least to me.

The second is the subject matter. This is a father/daughter incest story. (Pause for the eyes to roll.) I hope it is't a typical one—I'm probably just flattering myself—but it's still an incest story. Reading through a few of the forum posts, I get the feeling that incest stories generate a lot of negative feedback.

I don't like disclaimers at the beginning of a story. If you have to apologize for writing it, then don't write it. (Sorry if I've offended any other authors.) I'm much more inclined to submit the story as is, don my flameproof internet suit, and take them as they come. I welcome other peoples experiences and advice on this matter.

My last problem is story pacing. Yes! A problem worthy of a discussion!

To put it bluntly, the story starts slowly. There's a lot of backstory, scene setting, and encounters that have to happen before we get to the meat of the action (by which, I mean sex).

By my estimates, the reader has to wade through a good 6,000 or 7,000 words before there's any hard sex. There's sexual content before that: nudity, past sexual exploits, a little heavy petting. But it's nothing that's going to get your lather up. It reads more like an R-rated YA book.

Is that too long of a wait for most readers? Specifically, will I loose readers if I do this?

I've considered a couple of "fixes." One solution would be to start with the end. Paint a vivid picture of the heart-stopping dénouement, then with a "Gee, how did I get here?" flourish, rewind and present the entire story as a flashback.

That has the advantage of telegraphing where the story is ultimately going (which has its plusses and minuses). I don't know if it would be enough to entice to reader to stick with the beginning.

I'd like to conclude in saying that I'm happy to (finally) be a contributor, and look forward to the adventure.

Greetings,

I'm a brand new author who's never posted anything. I've idly read LitErotica on and off for years, but have yet to contribute.

A few weeks ago I decided to take the plunge. Now I have a few questions that I was hoping more experienced authors could help out with.

First is the length of the work. I've been toying with three story ideas, and the one I decided to write first is turning out to be rather long. It's 13,000 words now, and will probably push past 15,000 before I'm done.

Is this too long for a Lit Erotica story? I see a lot of stories broken into chapters, but I really don't want to break this one up. It's already divided into short sections/scenes, about eight so far, but I don't feel any would make a good break point, nor would these work on their own. It feels like one story, at least to me.

The second is the subject matter. This is a father/daughter incest story. (Pause for the eyes to roll.) I hope it is't a typical one—I'm probably just flattering myself—but it's still an incest story. Reading through a few of the forum posts, I get the feeling that incest stories generate a lot of negative feedback.

I don't like disclaimers at the beginning of a story. If you have to apologize for writing it, then don't write it. (Sorry if I've offended any other authors.) I'm much more inclined to submit the story as is, don my flameproof internet suit, and take them as they come. I welcome other peoples experiences and advice on this matter.

My last problem is story pacing. Yes! A problem worthy of a discussion!

To put it bluntly, the story starts slowly. There's a lot of backstory, scene setting, and encounters that have to happen before we get to the meat of the action (by which, I mean sex).

By my estimates, the reader has to wade through a good 6,000 or 7,000 words before there's any hard sex. There's sexual content before that: nudity, past sexual exploits, a little heavy petting. But it's nothing that's going to get your lather up. It reads more like an R-rated YA book.

Is that too long of a wait for most readers? Specifically, will I loose readers if I do this?

I've considered a couple of "fixes." One solution would be to start with the end. Paint a vivid picture of the heart-stopping dénouement, then with a "Gee, how did I get here?" flourish, rewind and present the entire story as a flashback.

That has the advantage of telegraphing where the story is ultimately going (which has its plusses and minuses). I don't know if it would be enough to entice to reader to stick with the beginning.

I'd like to conclude in saying that I'm happy to (finally) be a contributor, and look forward to the adventure.

length - no drama

daddy/daughter incest - no problems. inc. is the most popular category; i doubt you'll get hate mail.

slow build up in a story of that length shouldn't be an issue as long as you deliver.

... just submit the fucking thing and listen to comments/feedback. ;)

Not sure what you're worried about here. Incest is the most popular category. The backlash here is because its the most dominating category by far and some people feel the other categories don't get as much attention as they should - but the people who feel that way won't be in the incest section looking for stories.

Also 15,000 words isn't remotely a problem. That's a fine length, plenty of stories are around there. You can make it as long as you like.

As far as it being long and story-driven, take a look at the highest rated stories in the category:

http://www.literotica.com/top/Incest-Taboo-9

All of the ones at the very top are slow and story-driven.

I do think, however, you should put a letter at the top that it is story driven and not a quick story for people looking for a quick stroke.

It's absolutely not an apology for what you've written - it's just providing useful information to the reader to help them find what they're looking for. There have been times when I've looked for a quick fix, and then came across a notice like that, and I save it to read for later.

Take a look at the warning for "Threads: The Island," the highest rated incest story on the site:
Author's note: This story contains incest. It also contains lots of other action, and I should warn you now -- it's not a short one-page jerkoff story.

Also take a look at the third highest rated, "Words on Skin:"

A heads-up for those with short attention spans: this is long. Look elsewhere for a quick fix. I won't judge you for looking for something shorter and please don't judge me.

They aren't apologizing for what they've written one bit, they're helping the reader understand what it is so they can consume it at the right place/time.
Unfortunately, the reality is that there are indeed some small minded people who will be perusing looking for a quick fix and never anything else and will be angered if they get into a story and see that there's no sex for a long time. And unfortunately those people will probably downvote it.

A quick warning at the top, however, just a quick note stating that it's more in depth and not a quick stroker, will fend those people off almost immediately and they won't downvote you for it. If you really put a lot of effort and backstory into it, it should get the rating that it truly should earn on its own and it should be allowed the chance to become a highly rated story like the ones in the top list have done.

well see what i find important with my stories isnt for the readers. If i like the story ill submit it. if i dont i will change it till im happy with it or ill just go to a totally new story. There is no point in writing if it is not for yourself. i have done slave and master/ BDSM stories. i have gotten no disapproval by anyone. if they dont like that kind of story they wont be looking into the incest and taboo section just to find stories to read just to bash the author. ive found all the readers on lit that comment have helped me as an author and i have only improved as an author because they were kind enough to give me their feedback. so sit back, relax, write and post. you wont be disappointed.

Not sure what you're worried about here.
Barry,

I was worried that I didn't know what I was doing. :)

Thank you for the thoughtful and patient advice. I've stopped worrying about the length or the form of the story. It was over 18,000 words when I finally uploaded it. It seemed soooo long in the word processor, but came out to just 5 LitErotica pages, so that's not bad at all.

I'm developing a new appreciation for writing a short introduction, and how that could help the reader. The ones that stuck in my mind were the defensive statements, and that's what I wanted to avoid. I ultimately added a short statement, hinting to the style and length of the work.

... just submit the fucking thing and listen to comments/feedback. ;)

Done and done. :)

Now I have to wait for it to be approved. :(

well see what i find important with my stories isnt for the readers.

Thank you, Kitty, for your thoughts. I agree. I probably would never write a story that I wouldn't want to read.

On the other hand, the point of writing, editing, reviewing, and publishing a story is so that others can enjoy it too. So I want to present the best possible experience for my reader, or else why did I bother? That was my principle point of anxiety.

Again, I appreciate everyone for taking the time to assuage my fears. I've finally taken the plunge!

Thank you, Kitty, for your thoughts. I agree. I probably would never write a story that I wouldn't want to read.

On the other hand, the point of writing, editing, reviewing, and publishing a story is so that others can enjoy it too. So I want to present the best possible experience for my reader, or else why did I bother? That was my principle point of anxiety.

obviously i also want my readers to enjoy my stories. but im just saying the most important part of writing is being proud of what you wrote. Not every reader is going to love what you write. But for the ones that love it, it makes up for the ones that dont.

My first Literotica story has been approved!

<http://www.literotica.com/s/my-fathers-second-wife>

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice.

Now I have to fix the typos and start thinking about another one. :p

Back