Mint and Honey

"I'm glad to hear it. We should get back to your family's house." She said softly as she pulled away from Alex. "Before they come looking for us."
 
"I'm sure they would at this point." Alex let Fatin go join Bahir, choosing to walk back with Yasmine. Approaching the house, the scent of good food and burning firewood met them at the gate. Ruari was waiting with bated breath at the window, and Alex was ready when the boy came dashing out to them.
 
Yasmine laughed as Ruari was back in his brother's arms, wrapping his arms around Alex's neck and holding him tight. Yasmine greeted him in Arabic, grinning as the little boy answered her in her home language.

"You've been studying hard." Yasmine said with a grin.
 
"He certainly has," Alex nodded. "Ma mentioned how well he's been keeping up with his lessons." He ruffled the boy's hair.
 
"I'm sure it's been boring without you around." Yasmine said as Ruari agreed and wiggled from his brother's arms to pull them both inside the house.

"Papa went and got your Da! Everyone is here." Ru announced as he opened the door and Alex's father was sitting there at the fire next to Vincenzo.
 
Yhalan was quietly talking with Vincenzo about news from the far south, but both paused as the door opened. They rose side by side, but Yhalan let Vincenzo go first to meet Alex. Though Vincenzo was decidedly wasting away just from age and a lifetime of stress, he was still strong enough to seize Alex in his arms and hold him tightly as possible. The two murmured to one another in Italian for a long moment before Yhalan stepped up slowly. The relationship between the Wolf and his long lost cub was still unsure, but loving enough that when Yhalan hesitated, Alex immediately embraced him and.likewise the two shared a few words in Lunar.

Vincenzo turned his attention to Yasmine. "Welcome back, my dear. Or should I say, Lady al-Zariq." He smiled warmly and embraced her gently, though she could feel it was partly weak. "Thank you for bringing my grandson home, Yasmine..."
 
"It will always be simply Yasmine for you and your family." Yasmine said as Vincenzo greeted her with a tight hug of his own. "And I wouldn't have rested until he was back here in Inverness where he belonged."
 
"And we're certainly going to talk about that, but away from the children. My boy is all for helping people, but there's something a little different about how he's been away so long to help your family." Vincenzo chuckled at that before Yhalan came to face her. Alex's adoptive family didn't know her all that well, and Yhalan even less so for his more recent arrival. He didn't know what his place was in that moment so he took Yasmine's hand in both his own and shook it.

"Thank you for looking after him," Yhalan murmured softly. "For their sake as much as mine."
 
"I would have done it for any were, sir." Yasmine said softly, cupping his hands in her own. "But Alex means the world to me."
 
That brought a small, warm smile to the Wolf's face. "I may not know this family well yet... But I know Alex will take good care of you in return if you let him. He's a good man, and you're a lovely woman to say the least." He bowed his head briefly to her before stepping aside. She was quickly absorbed right into the Irons family as if she'd belonged all along. It was clear the stress of war and missing Alex, the glue that had so often held them all together, had taken a serious toll. The children barely left Alex's side and Theo and Valentina seemed to have aged more than just the few months. Vincenzo was already on in years, but the worry seemed to have accelerated his loss of strength. He was still able and fit, but simply old. Still, having Alex home brought life back to them all.
 
Yasmine style sat and watched him interact with his family, smiling the entire time as he bonded with his siblings. It seemed that none of them had missed a single step along the way.
 
By the end of dinner, enjoying the foods he hadn't had for months, Alex was leaning on the table listening to the whispers his siblings told him and chuckling or teasing them for things that had gone on while he was away. He was proud of the three and the way they'd tried to make things easier for their parents that whole time. Even in their sadness and missing Alex, they'd done their best.
 
"I cooked all of the meals for Mama and Da." Viola said softly, grinning at her brother as he smiled proudly at her. "And Franny helped Mama with Kate's baby. He's a crier and makes her very tired. Franny goes to hold him to give Kate a rest."

"He only stops when he's exhausted. No one really knows why." Franny said with a nod. "Hes a cute little cub though. Dark black with pretty eyes."
 
At the mention of Kate's inconsolable cub, Alex gave a look to Vincenzo and Valentina, neither of which had figured out what little Brogan's constant crying was for. There were even some days his grandfather couldn't calm him, which was something that had just never happened with other children. Alex made a mental note to talk about it later, but gave his full attention to his siblings.

"I appreciate you taking care of everyone. What would this family come to without you?" Alex chuckled, kissing each girl's cheek. "And Ruari keeps them all on their toes, as they should be."
 
“No! I was quiet and learned my languages the whole time.” Ruari commented, looking at Alex with a sense of pride that he was able to conintue his studies.
 
"Mhm. I'm sure," Alex teased. He knew Ruari had shaped up quite a bit for his parents, but he had to tease the boy. "Before long, you'll be able to talk to anyone in Inverness in their native tongue."
 
"It's true!" Ru exclaimed as Valentina chuckled at his animated demeanor. "Uncle Brogan lets me sit in his meetings sometimes."

"Only the ones that aren't important. And only the ones where he already has an interpreter." Viola said as Ruari gave her a look. "What? You can't speak well enough in any language to really help him."

"I help him plenty." Ruari said, arguing now that he felt more like his old self.
 
"Alright, you two," Theo spoke up. "Alex just got back. No need fer this." He couldn't help a small smile anyway, holding Valentina's hand under the table.
 
Viola and Ruari looked over at their father as he broke up their fighting with a gentle warning. Ruari nodded and Viola instantly stood to start serving everyone dinner. The entire house felt so much more comfortable with Alex there, more relaxed as it had been draped in gloom and strain while he was gone. It did Valentina a world of good to see the entire family welcoming Alex back into the fold with open arms.
 
After the meal as the family gathered in the living room, and Alex ended up sitting on the floor with his siblings as they shared their journals with him. All of them had picked up the habit, some more than others. Ruari wrote and drew practically everything while Viola kept recipes and notes, and Francesca kept more of a book of thoughts. Alex was sharing his two journals from Palmyra, including the pressed and dried leaves and flowers he'd pasted inside for reference, and the drawings of the city and palace. There were small sketches of Yasmine's family and important people like Osman, just so Alex could show his family who he'd grown close to and relied on.

Viola had just caught the edge of a nasty scar on Alex's arm and was fretting over him, forcing him to roll up his sleeve so she could see the huge scar from Fatin's bite. "It's fine, love," Alex assured her softly, as Francesca found another scar on his opposite hand from his time in the Imperial prison.
 
"There were a couple of close calls along the way, but I took good care of him." Yasmine said softly, knowing that the children would never know about the surgery that he had performed on her to save her life.
 
Alex glanced to Yasmine as if he knew what she was thinking of, and he smiled gently. "That she did... And I did my best in return when she needed."
 
"We had to be a team to make it through everything. It worked out very nicely, I'd say." Yasmine said as Alex looked at her, locking eyes from his spot on the floor with his siblings. "Let it be a lesson to you to work together as much as you can."
 
A soft giggle from Ruari made Alex look down. "Something funny, little man?"

"I knew you liked her," Ruari grinned.
 
"Ru." Valentina warned softly. "Don't start trouble this evening, please."

Ruari ducked his head sheepishly and looked towards his mother. "I'm just teasing, Mama."
 
Back
Top