Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
pan·ta·loon
[pan-tl-oon] Show IPA
noun
pantaloons, a man's close-fitting garment for the hips and legs, worn especially in the 19th century, but varying in form from period to period; trousers.
( usually initial capital letter ) . Also, Pan·ta·lo·ne [pan-tl-oh-ney, pahn-; Italian pahn-tah-law-ne] Show IPA . (in commedia dell'arte) a foolish old Venetian merchant, usually the head of a household, generally lascivious and frequently deceived in the course of lovers' intrigues.
(in the modern pantomime) a foolish, vicious old man, the butt and accomplice of the clown.
Origin:
1580–90; < Middle French Pantalon < Upper Italian ( Venetian ) Pantalone nickname for a Venetian, variant of Pantaleone, name of a 4th-century saint once a favorite of the Venetians

th

I thought it needed the illustration. :rose: Hi, AC.

Last edited:
Thank you, Naoko, the review was very nice and the book sounds perfect. I am lost without my paraphanealia.

JackLuis, those are some great pantaloons. Thanks for the information about the different meanings.

Og, how delightful to view these dances in current times. I truly enjoyed it. I will pass on the boring academic version and opt for the others, though.

patten - noun a clog, sandal, or overshoe often with a wooden sole or metal device to elevate the foot and increase the wearer's height or aid in walking in mud

patten - noun a clog, sandal, or overshoe often with a wooden sole or metal device to elevate the foot and increase the wearer's height or aid in walking in mud

A specific variety of patten were Venetian Chopines used by women in Venice, originally to deal with mud left after Aqua Alta by raising dresses above the muck. They reached incredible heights as an extreme of fashion. Venetian men literally had to look up to their women. The courtesans/prostitutes used the tallest ones to flaunt their assets in men's faces...

1253029233-1252933385-chopines.jpg

complete.jpg

An aside: While looking for dances of the pavane, I found Mr Beveridge's Maggot

Much more complex than a pavane.

Last edited:
willie-waught -- : a deep draft (as of ale)...source meriam-webster free online diction. It's scot and used by Robert Burns in his works.

by incorrect division fr. guidwillie waught in Auld Lang Syne by Robert Burns †1796 Scot. poet
This word doesn't usually appear in our free dictionary, but the definition from our premium Unabridged Dictionary is offered here on a limited basis. Note that some information is displayed differently in the Unabridged.

pautch

pautch, to walk painfully in deep mud. (C. Mackay, Lost Beauties of the English Language)

willie-waught -- : a deep draft (as of ale)...source meriam-webster free online diction. It's scot and used by Robert Burns in his works.

by incorrect division fr. guidwillie waught in Auld Lang Syne by Robert Burns †1796 Scot. poet
This word doesn't usually appear in our free dictionary, but the definition from our premium Unabridged Dictionary is offered here on a limited basis. Note that some information is displayed differently in the Unabridged.

I was wondering where my drinking habits came from, delicate half-Japanese ex-rugby-playing lady like myself - of course it's the Scots birthright! What a great word.

Og, I seriously want a pair of those fuchsia pink Venetian chopines. Possibly in Schiaparelli pink ;) (I love saying Schiaparelli.)

BTW, anyone any advice on pruning the roses? Serious now, I am a bit worried we've left it too late - but the forecast says below freezing at nights next week. Should I chop? Or not?

I was wondering where my drinking habits came from, delicate half-Japanese ex-rugby-playing lady like myself - of course it's the Scots birthright! What a great word.

Og, I seriously want a pair of those fuchsia pink Venetian chopines. Possibly in Schiaparelli pink ;) (I love saying Schiaparelli.)

BTW, anyone any advice on pruning the roses? Serious now, I am a bit worried we've left it too late - but the forecast says below freezing at nights next week. Should I chop? Or not?

Roses. See Here.
I cut mine in the Autumn.
PS. David Austin Roses are on your way. [see here]

Last edited:
Welcome eWoman. That is a great word you shared, thank you.

Naoko, so did you cut your roses or not? The link that Handley provided is sure a good one. I read all about pruning my roses, which I did in the late fall, before the snow. If I don't do it then, the snow from my roof will break the branches and create a real mess. One hybrid was snapped at the base, but I put it back together and staked it up and new buds are showing, thank goodness. Roses are amazingly hardy, like my strawberries.

Carlus, pautch is a word military men must know and not enjoy. In reading about maneuvers during the Civil War, mud was a real hindrance. BTW, that piece by Ravel is one of my favorites and it has been so long since I listened to it, it made me cry, in a good way. It brings back many memories from earliest childhood, all the way to adulthood. My parents loved Ravel and I introduced his work to my late husband. My children grew up listening to the classics, just like me, but I wonder if they will do the same.

Og, I think you have outdone yourself with your latest picture posting. I agree with Naoko, I want a pair, but I would like mine in deep purple. And thanks for the link to the dance, Mr. Beveridge's Maggot. Why is it called that?

patroon - noun 1. archaic: the captain or officer commanding a ship 2. the proprietor of a manorial estate esp. in New York originally granted under Dutch rule but in some cases existing until the mid-19th century

Og, I think you have outdone yourself with your latest picture posting. I agree with Naoko, I want a pair, but I would like mine in deep purple. And thanks for the link to the dance, Mr. Beveridge's Maggot. Why is it called that?

Mr Beveridge's Maggot is a country dance that was old in Regency days. It was danced in the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice. Emma and Darcy

Maggot: Wiktionary: From Middle English magot, magotte, probably Anglo-Norman alteration of maddock ("worm", "maggot"), originally a diminutive form of a base represented by Old English maþa (Scots mathe), from common Germanic root *mathon-, from the Proto-Indo-European root *math-, which was used in insect names, equivalent to made +‎ -ock. Near-cognates include Dutch made, German Made and Swedish mask. The use of maggot to mean a fanciful or whimsical thing derives from the folk belief that a whimsical or crotchety person had maggots in his or her brain.

It was also used for a song/tune that gets stuck in your head, usually a simple repetitive one.

There are various 'maggots' in English Folk Dances, usually referring to the tune, and by extension to the dance performed to that tune e.g. Orchestral arrangement Dick's Maggot and More traditional

Last edited:

patristic adj., of or relating to the fathers of the early Christian church or their writings.

I've seen the word a number of times but I confess an inability to remember its definition (I'm out of RAM). The result is that I have to look it up every time I run into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patristics

Og, Hannah James and Sam Sweeney are truly delightful. Thank you for introducing them to me! Brains full of maggots, huh? I suppose people could think that, like a watermelon growing inside your stomach, if you swallow a seed. "You've got potatoes growing in the dirt behind your ears, go take a bath," my Mother used to say to me. I was a real tomboy as a youngster, even though I also loved to dress up and took six years of ballet.

patronymic- noun a name derived from that of the father or a paternal ancestor usu. by the addition of an affix

The "Mc" or "Mac" prefix in Gaelic names signifies "son of," while the Irish Gaelic prefix, "O'" means "grandson of."

The Scandanavian tradition includes partronymics for female offspring as well, with the suffix "dotter" being appended. A male would be named with the suffix "son."

patronymic- noun a name derived from that of the father or a paternal ancestor usu. by the addition of an affix

Many English names are derived from patronymics e.g. Simpson.

In Welsh, I think the version is a prefix Ap - Ap-Thomas (son of Thomas) etc.

AC, this thread is a day killer! I looked at the paravane stuff and listened to the music, then goggled Bolero and found it is a Cuban dance! Who knew?

Then it morphed into the mambo and spread.

It did give me some ideas though, so it wasn't a waste of time.

I had used Revel's Bolero in a story and tried to make the story follow the music so it could be played along with the reading. It's only six minutes long and still I have to add words to keep it in synch. The problem is reading speed varies so much that it may not work as I intended it. I have two sections I need to add 15-20 seconds (of reading) to, in order to follow the passages of the music.

Here is the Bolero Dance.

Tio, I do remember studying prefix and suffix in school, but not affix;

affix(2) - noun 1. a sound or sequence of sounds or a letter or sequence of letters occurring as a bound form attached to the beginning or end of a word, base, or phrase or inserted within a word or base and serving to produce a derivative word or an inflectional form 2. APPENDAGE

Og, Hannah clog dancing was fantastic. I saw a very similiar dance performed every week at an open mic jam in Franklin, Tennessee, at a bar/restaurant that is no longer there called Battleground Brewery. They called it Appalachian dancing, but it is obvious the root in the same. Very entertaining.

I agree whole-heartedly, JackLuis, I am getting little else done, but enjoying myself completely. I recently saw a clip on Bolera dancing, so I was familiar with that one. Interesting video, though, from Hollywood, Florida.

Patriot's Day - noun April 19 observed as a legal holiday in Maine and Massachusetts in commomoration of the battles of Lexington and Concord in 1775

Carlus, pautch is a word military men must know and not enjoy. In reading about maneuvers during the Civil War, mud was a real hindrance.

It wasn't the only hindrance. I recall a fellow I knew who entitled his Senior Thesis (a requirement where we went to college) The Effects of Dysentery on Civil War Troop Movements.

Nobody caught the pun until it'd been accepted and the grade reported—after which it was too late to do anything about it. I haven't checked, but it's almost certain that that thesis is still in the library—and the library catalog—under that title.

BTW, that piece by Ravel is one of my favorites and it has been so long since I listened to it, it made me cry, in a good way. It brings back many memories from earliest childhood, all the way to adulthood. My parents loved Ravel and I introduced his work to my late husband. My children grew up listening to the classics, just like me, but I wonder if they will do the same.

Hope they were pleasant memories; if so I'm glad I could bring them back for you.

Many English names are derived from patronymics e.g. Simpson.

In Welsh, I think the version is a prefix Ap - Ap-Thomas (son of Thomas) etc.

Russians are particularly fond of the patronymic. Almost all Russians have names of the form

(Given Name) (Patronymic) (Surname)

as in

Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov.

or Vladimir, son of Ilya, Ulyanov.

Vladimir is better know by his party name: Lenin.

Yes, Carlus, it was lovely. Old memories are often strong ones and bring forth an onslaught of emotions when triggered.

pathetic fallacy - noun the ascription of human traits or feelings to inanimate nature (as in cruel sea)

It is Friday already. This week went by fast for me;

paternoster - noun 1. often cap: LORD'S PRAYER 2. a word formula repeated as a prayer or magical charm

Tio, I do remember studying prefix and suffix in school, but not affix;

affix(2) - noun 1. a sound or sequence of sounds or a letter or sequence of letters occurring as a bound form attached to the beginning or end of a word, base, or phrase or inserted within a word or base and serving to produce a derivative word or an inflectional form 2. APPENDAGE

There is the infix as well, where the word is inflected by the insertion of a sound or syllable within it.

Og, Hannah clog dancing was fantastic. I saw a very similiar dance performed every week at an open mic jam in Franklin, Tennessee, at a bar/restaurant that is no longer there called Battleground Brewery. They called it Appalachian dancing, but it is obvious the root in the same. Very entertaining.

I agree whole-heartedly, JackLuis, I am getting little else done, but enjoying myself completely. I recently saw a clip on Bolera dancing, so I was familiar with that one. Interesting video, though, from Hollywood, Florida.

Patriot's Day - noun April 19 observed as a legal holiday in Maine and Massachusetts in commomoration of the battles of Lexington and Concord in 1775

Quebec now celebrates la Fête des patriotes (Patriots Day) around May 20. It's Victoria Day in the rest of Canada, but in Quebec it was la Fete de Dollard. Dollard fell from being a hero after it was accepted that he was a murderer and fur thief rather than a valiant saviour of Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back