Beta-readers needed for long romance, women preferred

member9458

Educated Virgin
Joined
Mar 8, 2011
Posts
67
Hey, guys! I just finished writing a 41K+ word contemporary romance (that's about 12 Lit pages, I'm thinking of splitting it into three submissions), and I'm kinda champing at the bit to get it published. It's about a college guy (21) whose family takes in his older childhood friend/crush (25) after she flees from her abusive husband. This is a sensitive subject for a lot of people, and I want to make sure I didn't, say, trivialize/fetishize the female lead's trauma, write the male lead as a condescending dickhole, or portray their relationship as toxic and codependent one. (I'm especially concerned about that last one since the story often concerns itself with the difference, for better or worse.) As stated in the subject, I feel a woman's perspective would be very helpful here.

I've got other concerns too (I'll have left some of them as comments on the doc), but those are my big ones; any others I have either get figured out or they don't. I'm hoping to submit by the end of next week, but there's no pressing need; if you really think that time frame's unreasonable, let me know. Otherwise, the story's in Google Docs, and it's marked up with HTML tags for easy copy/pasting (I'm working on an iPad and can't easily convert to HTML, as far as I know). If that all sounds okay to you, drop me a PM and I'll link you to the doc.

Thank you guys for any help you can offer; this'll (hopefully) be my first time using an editor/beta-reader from this forum, so I apologize in advance for any faux pas I may have committed. (Incidentally, you can check my signature if you want to see the other stories I've published.)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top