Ye Olde S33k & Finde

She looked startled. Had it been that easy? Apparently so. The books were hers. She got to her feet slowly, stepping over to his counter, her fingers wrapping around the books. She glanced at him. “So, I’ve been told. I think that’s why I stopped looking. One of these days, it will come about, but until then,” she shrugged. Picking up the books, she turned to go. Taking a few steps back toward the door, then stopped, frowning.

“Fr33k? Do you happen to have any jewelry for sale? I’m looking for a necklace, something antique and ethereal.”
 
Last edited:
I may have a few laying about....Hrm...

*His hands moved below the counter, pulling up an enormous tome, bound in a deep scarlet leather with an odd symbol on the front. The book made a distressing sound as it was spread open. He turned to a certain page and began reading through the entries on it, looking up after a few moments of perusing*

Any metal in particular? Any gemstone you favor? It will help me narrow my search...things come and go in this place so easily....
 
I may have a few laying about....Hrm...

*His hands moved below the counter, pulling up an enormous tome, bound in a deep scarlet leather with an odd symbol on the front. The book made a distressing sound as it was spread open. He turned to a certain page and began reading through the entries on it, looking up after a few moments of perusing*

Any metal in particular? Any gemstone you favor? It will help me narrow my search...things come and go in this place so easily....

"Aye. Silver." Always silver. She approached the counter once again, "And emeralds." She set the books on the counter and waited while he looked. This would be an ideal place to find such a thing, IF he had something.
 
Silver and Emeralds, you say?

*His finger drug across the pages, tracing words and his eyes scanned them in time. He jotted a few words on a notepad, numbers and names and such.*

Well. I've found three that I think may be what you're looking for. Excuse me for a moment while I go retrieve them.

*No sooner had he said the words, his form vanished as if swallowed by the shadows at the edge of one shelf. Surely he wasn't that quick on his feet...but it appeared so. A trick of the eye, perhaps*
 
She nodded but he was already gone. Turning away, she went to investigate a shelf with objects on them. He was certainly different. Picking up an object she studied it, wondering who had owned it, where it had come from. How it had come to rest in this shop. Placing it carefully back in its place, she shoved her hands in the back pockets of her jeans as she continued to browse.
 
*He returns as quietly as he departed, seeming to simply step from a shadow that could not hold his frame. In his hands are three small parcels. He walks over to the counter, standing on the customer's side. Slowly he opens the parcels on the counter, spreading them open like flowers to reveal their cores. The first parcel is made of parchment, simple twine keeping it cinched. Inside lay an intricate Celtic knot necklace. The second is more substantial, made of light leather with a more refined cinching strand. The jewelry inside is more abstract, almost a blade in design. The final parcel is a rich velvet with a white cord to seal it. The necklace inside is perhaps the most ornate, or at least contains the most gems. With a sweep of his hand, he beckons for them to be inspected*

I have a good feeling that you'll like one or all of them.
 
As he spoke, she spun about, returning to the counter, excited to see what he had found.

“Oh, Fr33k! They’re lovely, all three of them.”

Her eyes, however were being drawn between two of them.

“But I have to admit, I’m seriously drawn to these two.” She lightly touched the Celtic knot and the more ornate one, “And moreso to the Celtic knot. This other one would suit a princess better.” She smiled at him.
 
They would all suit you, royalty notwithstanding. I had a feeling the knot would be the strongest attraction, having noted a few things about you. So, if it suits your needs, would you like to purchase it?

*His eyes watched her intently, his lips curling in his familiar smile. She seemed to be quite drawn to the place and its various contents*
 
She quirked a brow at his comment. Curiosity raised its head again, the bitch.

“And just what did you note about me, exactly?” She gestured toward the lovely knot, “May I?”

As much as they compelled her to pick them up before, she had resisted. Some shop keepers didn’t like their goods handled. She respected that.
 
Your knowledge of Gaelic language, the design of your tattoo, your fair skin and auburn hair...the tell-tale hue of your eyes. Small things, really.

*He saw her urge to hold the jewelry, to fondle them and perhaps try them on and he nodded slightly*

But of course. One would not buy a pair of pants without examining it and trying it on...jewelry, I find, is much the same. Though in the case of gifts, some imagination is required....

*He chuckled softly as he leaned against the counter, observing Aislin and her sprouting curiosity*
 
She needed no further urging, bending to retrieve the necklace in question by taking the ends in her fingers and placing it around her neck. Her fingers fumbled with the latch under her hair. She glanced at him.

“Fr33k, would you mind fastening this for me please?” She turned her back to him, waiting, “They may be small things, but still observant and I’m not use to anyone being so around me. It makes me feel a bit nervous.”
 
I'd be glad to.

*He pushed off the counter once more, moving in close behind her. Their fingers brushed again as he took hold of the clasp, deftly fastening it. His hands found her shoulders and turned her suddenly, albeit slowly, to face him. He followed the trail the necklace made, drawing focus to her collarbones and the hollow of her throat. Smiling and taking a step back, he reached over the counter to grab a small hand mirror, holding it up for her to see her reflection*

What do you think? I find it to be a quite lovely addition to an already fetching vision.

*His compliment was just as ambiguous as his smile. It had hidden facets, swimming beneath the surface*
 
The silver felt cool on her skin. When he turned to reach for the mirror, she let out a soft breath, unaware she had been holding it. As the looking glass appeared, she reached up to touch the necklace, tipping her head back slightly and to one side.

“When I asked you about necklaces, I hardly expected to see something so delicate and lovely.”

In two weeks time, she had a costume ball to attend and this necklace could easily complete her outfit.

“What do you want for this?” She had been almost afraid to ask.
 
*The trepidation in her voice made him chuckle in spite of himself, placing the mirror on the counter and leaning back at his ease*

The real question, is what would you give for it? I am in the habit of naming my prices, but it is interesting to see what people come up with on their own. Oftentimes they make suitable offers without even trying. So Aislin, what would you give to make this necklace yours?
 
From admiring the necklace to studying Fr33k. Her eyes narrowed slightly.

“What do you get from this, Fr33k? Why the barters? What the bloody hell makes you tick?"

Her fingers fell away from the necklace and she shoved them into the front pocket of her jeans as she stood there, staring at him. Her feet were set slightly apart, her head still tilted as she watched him. He baffled her. He intrigued her.
 
*It was her bluntness that elicited his chuckling this time. He smiled softly before responding*

I get insight. I get curiosity. I get questions, answers. I get to see inside the mind, body, the souls of those who drift by. I get to share. I get to give and take and give again in a wholly different way.

Why barter? Because setting things in stone only leads to having them broken to get at what lies beneath. Fluidity is the most copious nature in which to deal.

As for what makes me tick, I couldn't say definitively. The same things that make most people tick, I suppose. Though my curiosity and intrigue are more prominent....

*His arms crossed his chest, his posture befitting a loiterer, not a proprietor. Yet still, he seemed in command of all he surveyed*
 
She smiled then. Walking forward, she stopped in front of him.

“So, what do you get to share? What do you get to give exactly? Seems to me that all you’ve done today is to get answers from me. As far as the barters go, sometimes, there’s no room for barters. Sometimes, you just have to make a demand. Sometimes, you just know when something isn’t going to break."

She presented her back to him, lifting her hair. The clasp of the necklace visible.

“You can undo this now. Tell me, Fr33k. Share with me. What is your greatest fear or your wildest fantasy?”
 
*His fingers undid the clasp just as deftly as they fastened it, drawing the necklace from her throat and setting it aside. He leaned in close to her ear, whispering against her skin*

What do I get to share? I share the opportunity to find lost treasures and make them your own. I share stories and secrets, though only for the right price....

What do I get to give? I get to give the glorious search for things that you don't even know you want to find...

And there is always room for a deal. Even the most bullheaded can be persuaded, even if they are not aware of the manipulation. Even the strongest steel, tempered in the fires of the strongest forges, can be shattered with the proper technique.

So, you want to know my greatest fear or wildest fantasy? Very well, I shall give you both. Consider it a gift.

My greatest fear is to lose my curiosity. To have nothing more that piques my interest, causes me to want, to search, to find. Without the journey, life is nothing.

My wildest fantasy...is to explore all the ways to turn torture into pleasure. To take from one unwilling and twist their denial into acquiescence. To see the sharp contrast of pale and dark, soft flesh and harsh iron, and marvel what those diametrically opposed forces create when slammed together mercilessly.

*He remained close to her, his breaths blowing across her exposed neck, his hands at his sides*
 
She stood there as if frozen, his breath warm upon her skin, his whisper in her ear.

“The edge upon which pain and pleasure dance is infinite. Indeed the strongest steel can be shattered. It takes a true master to find where that point lies and to realize the object is not to push it into breaking but to hone it into something far more exquisite than it once was.”

She dropped her hands, letting her hair fall back into place. She wanted to say more, oh so much more, but didn't.

“What would I offer you for the necklace, Fr33k? What do you want for it? Come, let us barter. It’s one of your favorite things to do, is it not? So, you begin.”
 
Last edited:
*The curtain of her hair fell, covering her fair skin once more. Her words had a cryptic beauty to them. He moved to face her, examining her features, trying to read her*

You are quite well versed, my dear. I enjoy that. Very well, I shall begin. In exchange for the necklace, I would wish to see your tattoo, and any others you might have.

*His eyes were dark, brown bordering on black, save for when light fell correctly. Then they would show a more chocolate hue. It was as he gauged her reaction that the light fell in that precise way*
 
She watched his eyes then shook her head, “No,” her voice was firm, yet soft, “We shall find something less meaningful to barter that necklace for. I am willing to show you my ink, but the price of that is much higher.”

Her green eyes met his darker ones, never wavering for a moment. Inside, she was shocked. She didn’t know him, yet, some strange rapport seemed to flow between them. She was willing to show him her tattoos. There was something about him and she was just curious enough to want to find out what that was.
 
Then those terms will have to be discussed later. In the meantime, what do you propose in lieu of my request?

*His back found the counter once more; his posture relaxed while still interested. Most of the intensity of the exchange was charged in their stares, unyielding and never parting*
 
It was quite a simple thing really, but one she found that not many men could hold to. They always said they would, but they never did. Just once….

“Truth. From you. Anytime, every time, I ask anything. And I will come back here. Again and again. There are far too many lovelies in here waiting to be explored.”

And much of him to explore as well. That idea was beginning to grow on her.
 
You propose that I tell you only truth in order to gain the necklace? An interesting concept, Aislin. Know this: I will tell you only truth, and give it freely. You need not barter for that, because it is something I give to all. Now, perhaps there is something else that may be traded for the jewelry?

*His stance remained unchanged, though his smile did seem to be wider at her request for truth in all things. A truly admirable desire, he thought to himself*
 
She laughed, amused as it dawned on her that either she had misunderstood him or he, likewise with her. Should she correct such? All to easy to let it slide, but that wasn’t her.

“Fr33k, either I misunderstood or you did, I’m not sure which. I offered to show you my tattoos for the promise of honesty from you. You tell me that such a thing is something you give everyone and I must trust in that. I have two of them and for you to see them requires me to remove my jeans. Somehow, bartering a necklace for that seems…. shallow.”
 
Back
Top