a human embryo

• Total voters
it's cute looking in a henson kinda way.

i've miscarried at that stage.
it was heart breaking because i had created, in my mind, the person it could become. which isn't rational really.

Not me, but if it is alive, then killing it ends a life.

Killing is something we do all the time. All we really do is argue over which ones to kill.

it has less consciousness than the cod i ate at dinner.
it's just a matter of species loyalty, no?

It's entirely about species loyalty. You can roll your dice on embryonic cod, but the chances are, the cod it might become will never take out the garbage or change your depends. It's not science. It's something entirely else.

It's entirely about species loyalty. You can roll your dice on embryonic cod, but the chances are, the cod it might become will never take out the garbage or change your depends. It's not science. It's something entirely else.
nor will it mug me or shoot my neighbour.
it will reliably taste good in batter.

No, it's just a matter of the reason. The cod died because you were hungry. If you were hungry enough, you might have reason to eat another person. If the person were unconscious, it might be easier.

Some people object to killing a cod for hunger. A lot of people object to killing people for hunger. Some people eat only the flesh of fruit, but not seeds or leaves. Go figure.

Some people just can't deal with the idea of killing another person, so they make up different definitions of people to spare their own feelings.

nor will it mug me or shoot my neighbour.
it will reliably taste good in batter.

Cod probably like fresh ocean-dumped embryos. Just saying...

See? I can dehumanize what's essentially a clot of cells... and nature is a cruel bitch - especially when it comes to feeding cod. Nonetheless, where humanity describes the race, humility describes any one of our places in it. My humility simply starts to vibrate uncontrollably when considering one clot of cells as opposed to another. Minority Report is science horror precisely because science has found a way to quantify points of humility - that by nature are intangible.

The only real science is fuzzy at best in these matters. We can ascertain what percentage of a populace can be expected to become murderers, muggers or potentates. But, we cannot ascribe these traits prior to some point after birth. We roll dice - as we did with the cod - knowing that the chances of rearing a monster are... negligible in the grander scheme. Reliably, our offspring will probably be schmoes, just like us. At the same time, we can ascertain what genetic maladies can be expected of an embryo. Science can tell us only what science knows; what science expects is far less specific.

attachment.php

^^ i look at that and i see limbs, a head, eyes.
but i don't see a person.
it's brain is incomplete. it's thoughts and emotions are no more complex than those of a fish.
i can't pinpoint the moment where that little creature becomes a person though. somewhere between conception and birth f'sure.
looking at that stage, i find it hard to understand the passion of the antiabortionists.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

By the way, if it's not a person then why do you call it a human embryo?

That does make it easier. Whatever it takes.
you imply an effort.
but it's the same perplex i felt when i looked at the scans.
in my mind i had created potential people,
but the scans showed not-people.
...they became people. amazing people.
but still, at that point, i saw them and thought... huh!

you imply an effort.

It's just drawing a line. You can draw it anywhere you like and you do not have to justify it to anyone but yourself.

You maybe one of the fortunate people who never have to consider it as more than a philosophical question.

you imply an effort.

It is what a dead one looks like and I still believe in things like star trek. Human fetuses are radioactive. We should all be fucking aware of what they are.

Discuss. I'll be back when I'm wrong.

It's just drawing a line. You can draw it anywhere you like and you do not have to justify it to anyone but yourself.

You maybe one of the fortunate people who never have to consider it as more than a philosophical question.
or it's not seeing what i see further on.
and there is no line. no 'now it's not...and now it is!' moment.
it's a progression towards. each day becoming moreso.

rewind a few posts. it's been quite real for me.
It is what a dead one looks like and I still believe in things like star trek. Human fetuses are radioactive. We should all be fucking aware of what they are.

Discuss. I'll be back when I'm wrong.

i saw alien when i was pregnant.
nuff said.

Back