That that is is

robertreams

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Posts
1,993
Has anyone but me noticed that almost every one prcedes everything that they say these days by using the word 'that'? I was trained to say, The book on the table' but now everyone says the book that is on the table. Is that right? What is it that one might have to say that cannot be said without using that word.. I hate that word!

Seriously, last week I was reading a published work in an eminent publication. The author used 'that' fifteen times in the first two paragraphs. I just finished reading a story on LIt. The author used' that' four times in the first sentence.

I say if the sentence reads the same without "that' , leave it out!

Opinions?
 
Has anyone but me noticed that almost every one prcedes everything that they say these days by using the word 'that'? I was trained to say, The book on the table' but now everyone says the book that is on the table. Is that right? What is it that one might have to say that cannot be said without using that word.. I hate that word!

Seriously, last week I was reading a published work in an eminent publication. The author used 'that' fifteen times in the first two paragraphs. I just finished reading a story on LIt. The author used' that' four times in the first sentence.

I say if the sentence reads the same without "that' , leave it out!

Opinions?

For some reason the replies seem to have disappeared.

On the whole I agree with you. When I was working with Juicystarchild she did her best to cure me of this. However, I have recently found US editors putting them in.

ie I wrote : He said he was fit to drive.

editors correction : He said that he was fit to drive.

I just assumed it was part of the way they use the language over there.
 
I don't think they've disappeared. The same thread is in the Editors Forum with more replies.
 
I agree with leaving it out, but have probably made the same mistake myself. Some forms of speech are more habit than thought. I tend to write the way I speak, and often the words take on a life of their own.
 
The same thing holds true with the phrase "You know" it just drives me nut's. It's just a lazy way of not using your brain to formulate a sentance.
 
When I was a kid I used "ya know' all of the time. My dad broke me of that pretty quickly by interrupting me mid sentence with "No, I do not know." It aggravated the hell out of me and I soon learned to not use it when at home and that carried over to my every day speech.

I raised two step children and they fell into the "ya know" habit and I did exactly what my dad did to me. They were sharp kids and the phrase seemed to have evaporated from their vocabulary and as adults I have not heard them use it in a very long time.

Mike
 
I can only speak for myself, but i've become so accustomed to having to spell out things and put in the "that" because there are people out there that will whine and cry if one does not very specifically and carefully write every word. The "understood" word doesn't seem to exist with these people whose IQ level approaches that of a Betta fish, if you know what i mean.
 
I think most authorities would agree that that as a conjunction can be used or omitted. It's largely a matter of style and taste. But if you are writing for a readership that you believe might lean towards that, it's probably not a good idea to omit it. There's too much risk that they will hesitate, perhaps even stumble, where you need them to steam full ahead. That's all I have to say on the matter. For the moment.
 
Back
Top