Protection (closed)

"Well, little lady, at least you are honest. Yes, I guess I am old, at least when you look at your mom."

Pouring a cup of coffee and sitting at the table across from Molly. "Your mom works pretty hard doesn't she? She tells me you like baseball."
 
Molly ate her cereal and listened to the police officer talk to her. She watched as he sat across from her, sipping his coffee.

“She works all the time.” She said, shoving a spoon full of her cereal into her mouth. “Since my daddy went away she has to work extra hard. Sometimes I hear her cry at night. I think she misses my daddy but she’s too mad to let him come home. I wish she didn’t have to work so hard.”

She switched tops, smiling as she talked about baseball. Her father loved baseball and had watched games on TV all the time. She explained to Alan how she liked the St. Louis Cardinals because it was her daddy’s favorite team. She adored her father and had no clue why he’d gone away and why she hadn’t seen him.

About that time Michaela came back downstairs, dressed for a day at the office in her black suit and low black heels. She paused at the entrance of the kitchen as she heard Molly talking to Alan.

“Are you going to make my mommy happy?” Molly asked as she finished her breakfast.
 
"My favorite team is the Cardinals too. Maybe I'll see if I can get tickets to see them play sometime. What do you think your mommy needs to be happy?" The question out of my mouth before I see you coming downstairs.

Molly has no idea yet that you are within earshot of us . . . and I have no idea how to stop her from answering my question. Standing up to get a refill on my coffee, hoping that will break her train of thought . . .

Hoping you step into the kitchen before I have to change this conversation and make Molly feel like I don't want to hear her . . . or that I don't want to make "her mommy" happy.
 
Last edited:
“Molly, go get your backpack.” Michaela said as she stepped in to the kitchen, watching as Molly ran off towards her room. “I’m sorry about Molly. She’s a little too honest for her own good.”

Michaela actually blushed in front of Alan, unsure of why she was doing it. She liked him and it had been a long time since she dated anyone, but what he was doing in her home was a long way away from a date. He was there to protect them, not get romantically involved.

“She has preschool until 1pm. I have to look at some briefings I’ve had on my desk since this happened but I should be done by around the same time. Do you want to bring her to my office and then we can all go out to lunch?”
 
"Whatever works out best for you. After I drop you off at work, I'll be going to my condo. I'm sure Molly will be most comfortable if I am the one to pick her up and bring her to you office. Lunch sounds great . . . I'm sure she will like that."

(Thinking to myself . . . and maybe she will tell me what will "make her mommy happy.")

"After lunch, I will make sure you get home safely. There will be an unmarked car with another officer in front of the house until about 8:00 when I will come back and spend the night again."

Not even thinking again, I place my hand on your shoulder as Molly runs to her room, "Don't apologize for Molly; it just shows that she is starting to feel OK about me being here, and, obviously, she loves her "mommy' a lot and is concerned about her being happy."
 
Michaela shook her head and laughed softly. “She’s too young to be worried about what will make her mommy happy.” She said as she looked at the hand on her shoulder. She glanced back at Alan and bit her lower lip, wondering if she could ask him what she really wanted.

“Alan…I was thinking…well, maybe after all of this is over…maybe we could go to…dinner?” She asked him, her cheeks flushing bright red as she stammered over asking him on a date. She was a pitbull in the courtroom, but standing there in her kitchen with the man that was protecting her from some anonymous threats she was completely and totally tongue tied.
 
"Let's worry about this first." Don't want to admit it, but just your shyness in that question gave me a 'jolt' in a place I haven't felt a jolt in quite a long time.

Realizing that my answer was probably a bit abrupt . . . "I would be delighted to have dinner with you, but let's get this situation worked out first. I have a feeling that something is going to give us the break that we need, probably sooner than we expect. Whoever is doing this can't hide for very long."

Giving your shoulder a squeeze . . ."Hey, Molly, time to go."
 
The answer that she was first given made her heart sink. Well, it had been kind of inappropriate to ask a man that she worked with on a date but then he turned it all around and agreed. She gave him a wide smile, nodding when he said that it would have to wait.

“Alright.” She said as he squeezed her shoulder and called for Molly.

The little girl came running into the kitchen at full speed, shoes buckled and backpack on. Michaela gave her hair another quick brush and then grabbed her briefcase, following Alan out to his car. She got Molly buckled into the back and then slid into the passenger seat.

“Mommy, Alan’s going to take me to see the Cardinals!” Molly exclaimed as the car pulled away from curb. “Daddy always said he would, but he never did.”

Michaela smiled over at Alan and then looked over her shoulder at Molly as she looked around excitedly. “Well, that sounds like a very special treat. Next time your daddy calls you’ll have to tell him you’re going. I’m sure he’ll be happy for you.” She glanced over at Alan and then back out the front windshield.
 
Driving the car to the preschool, I take a different route than Michaela would normally take, just an extra security measure in case they were being watched. Noticing your questioning look when I turn down a different street, "Just taking a different route today . . . just the cop in me being cautious."

"Molly, do you think we should take your mommy with us when we go to the ball game? Would that make her happy?" Giving you a sly smile when I ask that last question.

Dropping Molly off, speaking briefly with the school director about the car that will be parked down the block all day, and giving them specific instructions that I am the only person, besides Michaela, who can pick her up. Molly is already bouncing into her class before we head out the door.

In front of the court house, a uniformed officer meets us and escorts you to your office. "I'll pick up Molly at 1:00 and bring her to your office." Once you are inside the building, I pull away from the curb and head home for a few hours of sleep, seeing your smiling, shy face as I drive off.
 
Last edited:
“Yes! Mommy should go too!” At her enthusiastic response, Michaela shook her head even as she smiled.

As Molly was dropped off, Michaela made sure that she made it to her classroom. She kissed her cheek and told her to have a good day. Her daughter was a social butterfly, one that always had a dozen friends and cared about each one of them. She watched as she came alive in the classroom setting, grinning as she took her seat before she turned back to Alan and walked back outside to the car.

“Alright. Thank you, Alan.” She said as she followed the uniformed officer to her office, allowing him to make a sweep of the room before she settled behind her desk and began her day’s work. She was trying to get through the mounds of work she’d missed since the threats had began. It would be a busy morning, she thought to herself as she dived headlong into it.
 
Fortunately, my condo is only a few blocks from the Court House . . . and because of my detective position, the management office has given me a prime parking place just outside the entry door to my floor.

Twenty minutes after dropping you off, and calling the precinct with instructions to call me at noon, I strip to my boxers and settle into my recliner . . . thoughts of a bouncing 5-year old in the back seat of my car . . . and a "damn" attractive prosecutor in the front seat. She is tough as nails in the court room, but in the last few hours, I have started to see the 'real' Michaela . . a gorgeous young lady who loves her daughter more than her own life . . . who just wants to be happy.
 
The morning was going by rather quickly, Michaela thought. She had made a few phone calls to other lawyers and then to the district judge to clear up a few things on a case that she was working on. She kept glancing at the clock, willing time to go a little bit faster. She was looking forward to her lunch with Alan and Molly and the thought put a smile on her face.

The phone rang shortly before noon and she picked it up, pushing aside her legal pad. “Michaela Smith. How can I help you?”

“You think you’re really smart calling in the cops, aren’t you?” The mysterious voice said on the other end. Michaela’s blood ran cold as they continued on. “It won’t protect her. I’m looking at her right now in her pretty little red dress. I bet I could grab her before anyone noticed.”

Michaela started to shake, reaching for her cell phone as the call ended. She typed in Alan’s number with shaking fingers and listened to it ring on the other end. Pick up, Alan. Please pick up!
 
Still half asleep when I pick up the phone . . . damn, is it noon already? But I am instantly awake when I see your number. "What's up?" At the same time, I am grabbing my PD phone and speed-dialing the officer on duty at the Preschool.

As you start to talk, I hear the trembling in your voice, "Hang on, Michaela." Grabbing my other phone just as the officer answers. "It's Davidson . . . shut down the school, no one in or out until I get there. And call for two marked cars right away. I'll be there in 15 minutes."

"OK, Michaela, what happened . . . I've already got people moving to the school."
 
“He just called!” She said in a shaking voice. “He said that he can see Molly right now. He even knew what she was wearing. Alan, you have to get down there.” She was pacing her office as he told her to hang on.

“You have to go get her. Please, Alan.” She was desperate, feeling completely useless without her car. “Why is this happening, Alan? How can he threaten a five year old?”
 
"Michaela, I have already shut down the school . .. no one can get in or out. I have two more cars on the way and I will be there just as soon as I can. I will call the precinct and have a car pick you up and bring you to the school. I don't want to frighten Molly if we can avoid it. Nothing will happen to her, Michaela . . . I promise."

Throwing my clothes back on . .. running to my car . . . siren screaming as I exit to the street and head for the school. Calling my boss and giving instructions to pick up Michaela, but no one is to enter the school until I get there and see what I can find out.

Once I get to the school, I look around and see that everything I have directed has been followed - marked cars in front and back of the school, all the kids and teachers in their classrooms.

Walking into the school, I immediately ask for the director and tell her as much as whe needs to know. Then, calling in two of the uniformed officers, we start a walk thru the school, opening every closet door, the janitor's closet, looking for anyone who should not be in the school. Once Michaela arrives, I tell the officer with her to stay with her in the director's office until we complete are canvass of the building and grounds.
 
She trusted Alan to take care of Molly, but it was still a nerve wracking wait for the police to show up to take her to Molly’s school. The drive there wasn’t much better, but as soon as the car stopped, she was out and making her way into the director’s office. She saw Alan briefly, but was told to stay where she was while they swept the building.

She paced back and forth, fretting as she waited for the all clear. When it was given, the officer couldn’t stop her as she hurried down the halls to Molly’s class. Once inside, she wrapped her daughter in a tight hug and tried to act like everything was normal.

“Are we going to lunch, mommy?” Molly asked, her eyes bright.

Michaela looked at her daughter and sighed, not wanting to deny her a special treat but scared enough that she wanted to go home. “How about pepperoni pizza and ice cream at home?”
 
Alan met the two of them in the hall outside Molly's class. Molly was excited to see her mommy, while Michaela was trying to relax from what caused this situation. Waiting for you to stand up, "The officer who brought you here will take you home. Security is already at the house. I will be there about 7:00. Molly, can you save a little ice cream for me?"

As we alk out to the car and Molly hops in the back seat, I take you by the arm and speak quietly to you, "We're not done yet, Michaela . . . the guys down at the end of the block caught some guy sneaking between the houses. They are taking him down town and I'm going down to talk the the little SOB myself. This may be the break we were looking for. When I know more, I'll call. Once we get a picture or and ID, we'll need to have you take a look and see if he's someone you know . . . maybe someone you prosecuted in the past, or a connection to you ex. I just don't know anymore yet."

A quick hug and stepping back while you enter the car to be with Molly.
 
Molly was bouncing in the seat as she was promised pizza and ice cream. She let the officer buckle her in as Michaela turned to look at Alan as he explained to her what they had found. She was stunned that they had picked someone up in the neighborhood.

“Yeah, I’ll look at anything you want to show me.” She said as she hugged him back and slid into the patrol car next to Molly.

She had the officer stop at the grocery store and she and Molly picked out two pizzas and a tub of ice cream. Molly decided that she wanted to wait for Alan to come to the house before they ate, so Michaela fed her Spaghetti-Os and tucked her in for a nap. Michaela paced the living room as she waited for Alan or for any word as to what they had found.

At 6:30, she put the pizzas in the oven and set Molly down in front of the TV to watch a ballgame. The little girl was distracted as she brewed a pot of coffee and set the table, checking the clock every so often as she waited.
 
After talking to the scumbag in the station, we finally got an ID on the guy - a local low-life and petty drug dealer out on probation. He knew that if he got picked up again, he would go back to prison for a minimum of 7-10 years. And since Michaela had been the prosecuting attorney, he was looking for an edge to get a lower or suspended sentence.

Still don't know where he got all his information, but he had put Michaela and Molly together, and figured threatening her daughter might help him blackmail the Prosecutor's Office into a plea bargain. He will be in front of the judge tomorrow morning, facing a different prosecutor and a long time behind bars.

6:45 PM . . . picking up my phone. "Michaele, I think we got this all figured out and you can take a deep breath. I'll give you all the details when I get there. Hope Molly saved me some ice cream."
 
Michaela breathed a sigh of relief when Alan told her what had happened. Maybe all of this would be over, she thought as she smiled when he asked if Molly had saved him some ice cream.

“She didn’t want to eat her pizza without you. It’s cooking in the oven right now and she’s watching some baseball game. I’ve got the pot of coffee on too.” Speaking to him was easy and it felt right to be making such mundane plans with him.

“We’ll be waiting for you.” She said with a grin as she hung up the phone and put the finishing touches on everything while she waited.
 
"Guess I turned out to be an OK guy with her. I'll be there in 15 minutes."

Thinking abourt the situtation on the way over. Just to make sure we have the right guy and he doesn't have any friends involved in this, I'm going to keep up the surveillance at least a couple more nights. Let's see what happens when we get this prick in court.

Walking up to your front door and ringing the bell, I hear excited noises coming from a five-year old . . . tugging at the door as you help her open it.

"Hi, Molly, ready for pizza and ice cream?" Looking at you, I see a different look in your eyes . . . not that frightened look I saw just 24 hours ago.
 
Michaela heard the doorbell ring and Molly was already scrambling to open it. “Molly, just a minute.” She called as she hurried to help her daughter pull it open. She smiled at Alan as she caught sight of him and Molly instantly began to babble about waiting for him.

“Go wash your hands, Molly.” She said as the little girl ran off to the bathroom to do just that. “I’m glad you’re here, Alan. And I’m really glad you caught the guy.”

She lead the way down the hall into the kitchen, pouring him a cup of coffee and placing it in front of him at the table. She was seeing him in a different light. He was her protector, but she was starting to feel something more for him, something that she hadn’t felt in a long time.
 
As Molly raced to wash her hands . . . and you set the cup of coffee on the table, I grab you by the shoulders, turn you around, and pull you to my chest with both arms wrapped around you. "Time to take a deep breath, Michaela and slow down. After we have the pizza and get Molly to bed, I'll fill you in on the details and see if there is anything you remember about this guy."

Damn, if feels good to have the soft body of a "grown" woman pressed against me . . . and one that smells so good too. I'm sure my superiors would not approve of this interaction with a person we are supposed to be protecting . . but "screw them".
 
The way that he held her close felt good. Michaela sighed and took a deep breath like he had suggested. It was amazing, she thought. She felt light and carefree compared to where she had been.

“I’ll do my best, Alan.” She said as she simply allowed herself to be held by the detective. She leaned her head back slightly, her blonde hair falling out of her face as she stared up at him. “Alan…kiss me.” She said in a soft voice, her cheeks flushing red as she said the words.
 
Teasing a bit, since I am technically not on duty until 8:00 . . . "I guess I can do that." Bending forward a bit . . . my lips touching yours . . . for a moment . . . until we hear footsteps running down the hall proclaiming that her hands are clean and she is ready for pizza . . .
"Are you ready to answer that question yet?"

The timer goes off on the over . . . "Pizza is ready!" I hear Molly behind me . . . "You have to sit by me, Alan . . "

Turning and getting out of the middle of the kitchen . . . taking the chair at the table where Molly wants me to sit. As you serve gthe pizza to Molly and me, I'm afraid my eyes are focused on only one person . . . a gorgeous blonds who finally feels the lifting of a tremendous burden.

As you sit, my hand reaches under the table and squeezes your knee . . .
 
Back
Top