New Poetry Recommendations

July 29, 2008

There is a plethora, yes a plethora, of new poetry today--over twenty new poems. I read them all and found only one that I felt warrants recommending: Tzara's Driving to Sarajevo. The poem received an Editor's Choice Award, hence the E next to the title. Even when I don't really understand what T-zed's on about and I have to look up his references, I get the extended metaphor (here, a car--a Yugo of course), and appreciate the pace that meanders thoughtfully and ends, as I suppose most Yugo rides would, with a bit of a prayer.

You may also want to explore RustyMcNail's poems today, too. I wouldn't say any of them knocked me out, but they are well written.
 
Wednesday's Review

.
.


There are but eight New Poems and, once again it seems, the day belongs to a new and very busy, RustyMcNail. Of his four new postings, the following three caught my eye.


A little form poetry in Who Dares to Witness the Death for those in the mood for some form.


A little tragedy to dampen your mood can be found in One of the Best. You just know he's doomed since he's headed for California.

Of today's offerings, my favorite is Drifting. There's a ton of meanings buried in this ending:

upon closer examination
by her detached scientific
mind
discovers I am really
space dust
reflecting her own brilliance.

Now, having made my recommendations, I'll just add that it seems there's something missing. Can't quite put my finger on it. He is quite literate and seems to be technically proficient. Maybe it's just me. Go ahead and check 'em out as well as the others up today. There's just 8 there for you to read, vote, and comment upon ~ it's the least you can do for these brave souls. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

.
.
 
Thursday

Only four new poems posted, and they're all RustyMcNail poems.

attachment.php


This would be the one I'd suggest reading:Today, I Dwelt on Things of Beauty - by RustyMcNail

I agree with Leon. There's something missing. Rusty's poems are a hit and miss. Sometimes, he seems to get this thing we call poetry and other times it just isn't working. He does have poetential, though. ;)

Symbols - by RustyMcNail
Love Song - by RustyMcNail
The Years Between Us - by RustyMcNail


~
 
Now all the poems are posted for Thursday

We have Normal Jean, Tzara, wildsweetone, Jamison...

The Ballad of Frog Royale by normal jean is just too cute and, thankfully, well written.

------------------------

Penance for Sister's Pink by Jamison

Sister smiled then, sexy and dark as her habit.

Jamison, you really should be punished.

------------------------

Back 07/08 by wildsweetone

------------------------

The Suicide Theory of Romantic Love by Tzara

The only way to fall in love
is to drop off a forty-story building,


Yeah, it's like that. :devil:
After reading his poem, it struck me that this Tzara human probably gives good conversation. Read the poem.

----------------------------
 
Happy Friday, 1st of August, The year's almost 2/3's over and I think it's been pretty wonderous. Today's new poems list brings a fine cross-section of sonnets, free verse and rhymers.

First up is a brief poem that paints a really good illustration of later mid-life relationships. Read her Grey both and enjoy.

Rusty McNail offers a poem reminiscent of Wallace's Blackbird poem. His style isn't quite as succinct or evocative as the master's poem, but Wings is a poem that is strong enough to enjoy reading.

My harvest of the day can be found aging gracefully in Tzara's cellar, read his vintage, Varietal and impress him with the pH of the soil your roots are set in.

Have a good weekend neighbours and I'll be thinking of you as I enjoy the longer version up here.
 
Sat-ur-day, Sec-ond Aug-ust, Two Thou-sand and Eight

In contrast to last week, there are a number of new poems this Saturday and they are generally quite appealing, so do read them all if you like. There seems a plethora of somewhat dark poems today, actually, although there are a few with more levity. Several in particular stand out at me:

There are three by the recently prolific Rusty McNail, of which his James Earl Ray certainly has gravitas in subject but I prefer Early Morning Chesapeake.

I quite enjoyed Knees (08/08) by wildsweetone—I absolutely adore the opening lines (There are no shadows / in expensive hotel rooms), which set the poem in its realm immediately, so I must recommend it.

Summons to Growth by LadynStFreknBed is a lovely poem with some of today's apparent thematic darkness and one which appeals to my fondness for traditional and formal poetry; of course it has merits beyond that, so give her poem a read.

Lastly, oh lastly, there is Baldini in Æblerød by JakobMariaMierscheid (a fictional German parliamentarian!), a rather interesting poem of death in Denmark which makes wonderful use of an imaginary word and is making me feel solipsistic.

As always, the opinions of other poets and readers are most welcome, so do feel free to mention any of today's poems that spoke to you.
 
Last edited:
Monday

There are eight new poems today.

Dcpoet44 offers a nice, little twist in the poem, A Nice Little Visit.

A Collection... by Darkerdreamer offers some interesting slices of description.

I need a cigarette after reading Wet Dream by wildomona. Some of the phrases are overused and common, but it contains enough unique erotic imagery to make it well worth a read.

There are 5 illustrated poems. Each and every one of them is worth seeing.

For Loren: Fog by lindiana

Jamison gives us two provocative, tongue-in-cheek poems. Virulent is almost malicious eroticism. It's a well-crafted, spiteful spin on conception. Mouth- a Fibonacci poem excels at generating impact in a tight form.

The background for my illustrated poem, Recovery, is an oil painting of the same name which was inspired by recovery from assaults and the consequential distrust.

My favorite poem from today's offerings was Apology by Selena_Kitt. This picture reinforced the short piece.

Eight poems, all with merit! Please take some time to read, vote, and comment.
 
Wednesday's Review

.
.


Another hump day {again already?!!} with a light offering of eight New Poems. You can easily read them all — why don't you go ahead and do just that? To get you started, here are three that got my attention.


misterwho offers his first two poetry submissions today. While both seem to have a similar theme, Inseparable Distances seems to be on a much more philosophical plane.


LadynStFreknBed is at it again with another form poem. Give Fractured Self a read, and do it aloud to better enjoy the sound form poems have to offer.


And, for my pick of the day (could there be any doubt?), check out Tzara's En V. for some fun word play and subtle references.


There, I've gotten you a start. Go ahead and try the others for good measure. Just go ahead and read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

Now, pardon me while I vanish into the mists for a bit...

.
.
 
On this, the 9th of August, there are twelve new poems, unless I have lost the ability to count or the poems have not all posted yet—if the former is true, there is nothing I can do, but if it be the latter, I will have to look later. No matter which case it is, read through them all and perhaps you may find something which appeals to you.

First on our list for today is poem by an established poet, and one which is both clever and a bit silly, Love Poem, Written in Jejune by Tzara. [As established by Eve in the comments, however, the word jejune is protected.]

Today there seem to be a few new poets, as well; there were a couple of first poems which I thought might merit particular mention:
An interesting first entry by Buxxxom, The Eve of Submission certainly shows poetic promise, even if it may not be about a topic I am especially familiar with (though it is possible that I might understand the reference to Saint Andrew).

There are four poems by a new poet, cherryontop1973: and one of the more interesting works today in terms of its form and style is her and so it begins, a prose-poem, which one does not usually see.

And, of course, as always, others are more than welcome to add their own comments, suggestions, and reviews on today's poems.
 
Thursday Revisited

A poet let me know that more poems did show up for Thursday. Okay, it took a couple of days for me to realize it... :rolleyes:

Perry Mason Best in Black and White
by DeniseNoe

I just have to mention this one because it's not often you see "Perry Mason, Paul Drake, and Della Street" in poetry. Loved that show! Thanks for reviving the characters, even if only in a poem.


Amy Winehouse, by Blue Dolphin, isn't a title I expected to see. She is indeed an interesting character. And this poems does have some interesting lines.
Be gone
You weed of dark lightness
[...]
And dark, be my wedded dress.
 
Liar may be taking a nap, so you get me instead.

I'm just back from painting my parents' house. As a consequence, I am dehydrated, sore (as much from feathering the clutch through the hellacious traffic coming back into the city as anything), and substantially maroon.

No, not moron. Maroon. The color.

It's a long story.

Anyway, what a nice thing to come home to find among Sunday's offerings the first posted Lit poems in some time from the always excellent WickedEve. Spend some time looking at how she writes: active verbs, few adjectives, just wonderfully clean writing. Good stuff, folks.

If you find Lady Box a little confusing in its references, check out this Wikipedia page, which explains a lot of Evie's references.

Not quite as explicitly oriental in theme (though as I read it, certainly influenced by oriental style) is Written in August for December, which is a really nice title, by the way.

Both are interesting, vivid, and challenging poems. Check 'em out and give Eve a little love, er, I mean comment.

Meanwhiles, I need to try and scrub some paint off my tender parts.
 
Monday

There are seven new poems today.

I enjoyed the short poem that Equinoxe shared which is titled Kwannon. This poem alludes to a statue of the goddess of mercy. Though I loved image Equinoxe provided, I can't help but wish this was either an illustrated poem or contained more description. It's a credit to the poet that I want to see more.

Shy slave pens a cynical criticism of the cliché in TIme Does Not Heal.

Twinskt the Hangers is a fun piece by Victoria_Lucas. I may have to add "twinskt" and "amound" to my personal lexicon.

There are my picks from today's new poems. Please take some time to read and comment.
 
August 12, 2008

There are 14 new poems posted today.

I always start from the bottom of the list and read up, and I'm especially glad I did today because the first poem I read, A cuttlefish by Equinoxe was actually posted yesterday. I'm glad I didn't miss it. It's a tiny poem with one clearly rendered image and a question, both of which express so much more with so little. I feel that this poem really shows Equinoxe's particular poetic strength: it takes a lot of talent and craft to get so much meaning from so few words.

Any day I get to read a WickedEve poem is a good day for me. Eve is no stranger herself to saying a lot with few words and Driving the Run is a great example of this skill. It's a short narrative (about roadkill--Eve can find poetry wherever she looks) filled with her trademark twisty-quirky phrasing and a suggested comparison of a dead something to Christ. Only Eve can pull off this sort of thing in a poem, and she really makes it work. I'm not wild about the ellipses points, but I never am. That's my quirk, not Eve's. If you're not familiar with WickedEve's poetry, please read her. She has a unique talent that should not be missed.

The word Traumgarten sounds like it should be a subtitle for my life the past few days, but no, it's a poem by Tzara, a beautifully rendered poem that suggests Rilke (who is quoted at the start of the poem) or maybe Yeats, both of whom I dearly love, which is one reason this piece so appeals to me. It is written with great tenderness and has a wistful, yearning tone. All in all, a really lovely poem.

And finally Remec, a poet who has been far too absent from our forum of late, gives us Erratica, a tightly constructed poem with strong images and a rather startling ending that explains the somewhat wry (to me, anyway) title. Like Eve, Remec is a poet who some of the newer folks here may not know, but who is not to be missed. It's great to see him writing here again.

There are a few other poems I might have mentioned had these four not stood out so clearly to me. Read them all, vote and comment where appropriate and feel free to second my recs or mention any other poems you really like.

:rose:
 
Last edited:
Oops--one more!

I forgot that I wanted to recommend Villanelle for s_k, the first offering from new poet ColinClout. I'm guessing CC lurked here and read the villanelle thread and was inspired to produce this very well-constructed form poem. Villanelle's are tough! Any one who produces one gets props from me! :)
 
Wednesday's Review

.
.


Wednesday's playtime again, so let's get right at today's eleven New Poems.


WickedEve leads off with a bit of erotica in a creatively flavored form poem, The Come-Down Rain. And, while you're at it, check out her strongly visual poem, Move Like Statues.


sassynyc gives us quite a treat {and a sugar rush} in Sweet Sticky Thing. Forget the diet and spoil yourself.


Zinfandel is a newbie with her first posting today, Encore. Check it out and give her a welcome.


And finally, we started with form poetry so let's end with form poetry. LadynStFreknBed gives us a very melodious form in The True Treasure.


On that pleasant note, I'll leave you for now. If I made no sense I'll blame it on this cold - my head feels like a balloon. Feel free to check out today's other offerings, there are but eleven. Go ahead and read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

.
.
 
WickedEve leads off with a bit of erotica in a creatively flavored form poem, The Come-Down Rain. And, while you're at it, check out her strongly visual poem, Move Like Statues.
Thanks, dear man. :rose:

On to Thursday poems! There are none! It's almost nine here so I'll check in about an hour. :)

It's after 11 now and no new poems. Some will probably pop up later today. I'll check unless I forget, which is highly likely.
 
Last edited:
Thursday

Well, poems finally showed up, so here we go.

There are three that I'm going to recommend. I'll just copy and paste my comments that I've already made public.

It happened on the night bus
by Josephine_Guilbert
Very enjoyable. A little too long, though. The first 4 strophes give the reader a great story and could even be a complete poem. There are too many unneeded words after "progressed to more intimate matters." Leave some things to the imagination and do more showing than telling.


Horsing Around
by The_Frank_Black
Very good poem. I see a couple of spots that could use an edit. I wouldn't use neighbor twice. You could try: "in my neighbor's field and the hay he sold brought what I imagined," and I believe you need to change determine to determined. Other than that, really nice work!


Mean Sheets
by Safe_Bet
This would really work great for a poetry reading. Ever been on stage? I'd get rid of the last stanza. It seems pointless in the poem. Kind of tacked on. It ends just fine with the stanza above it.
 
Friday for Champy

Several new poems up to day and I am a bit surprised since Fridays are usually slow because Poets are out enjoying the pending weekend. I likely won't due to it being another ball-sticking sweaty hot day without AC (whines).

Nevertheless, poems did post and the majority were submitted by, Kaliwitch. She's newish so checkout her stuff and encourage her in her writing and visit the forum.

Equinoxe has The Science of Knowing, a good little poem that if I gave a peek you'd see the whole poem. I think the ending needs tightening to really make the neat, compact statement it seems to want to say.

Undone by sassynyc has me seriously wanting to down a bucketful of iced tea it's that hot. Two phrases in sassy's poem I'd look at again are "Promise Land" and "pearly whites", I think replacing those would make this poem smoke. Speaking of smoke, there's fire:
"Caress your way beneath
the trim
and inhale me
like cinnamon smoke"​

I like Safe_Bet's Alchemy it's another sizzling poem, but I agree with Evie when she mentions "Par-tay-ing" "cuddling" in her Public Comments.

And here I parrot Evie again in her Public Comments for Ripe by Willow Rain . It's such a good poem though, it really conveys a mix of emotions like passion and urgency:
"Wild hot in your bed,
I’ll be as cool as early January
across from you
in public."​

Lastly, I'd like to mention Trust Refracted by LadynStFreknBed and I say what Evie says, I say what Evie says. :rose: I admire those who can do form poetry and it do them well like Lady.


That's it. Go out be merry and spread the joy by reading, posting comments all the New Poems. Have a spectacular weekend all!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today's review will be rather short on account of the fact that I have taken ill. There are fourteen new poems today, many of which are poems with audio—I have read each of them, but I have not yet listened to any of them. Two new poets have begun their Lit poetry careers today, dresky and kssfrmarose_thorn.

Of today's poems, I think that my favourites are those by SunrockSin, who has four entries today: clean is perhaps his best, although I like something of the simplicty of never.

DeniseNoe has a poem on an unpleasant topic, Poem for Darius Barney, which I'm not quite sure about. Perhaps others should give it a read, though.

My eyes hurt from looking at the screen.
 
Sunday aug 17

16 new poems today, 7 of them by Kaliwitch. Most of them did nothing for me, but Lady of Flames does a good job at channeling the voice of old time sacral poetry. Works for me.

Other than that, we have Life © by mismused. It insists to be called a haiku, which it's not. But if we call it a short poem instead, which it is, it's a pretty nice one.

The by far best poem today is Behind the Marble Lions by Victoria_Lucas. A spot on city-life portrait with lots of enjoyable lines.
 
Monday

My apologies that this review is late! I'm on vacation with my parents and children.

There were six new poems yesterday.

Conikeshet shared Roses in a Midnight Garden is a highly-descriptive, erotic tale. This is conideshet's first poem posted at Literotica. I encourage conikeshet to share more.

Caught by WFEATHER strikes a thought-provoking balance between playful and serious.

ChevyGirl67's Wallpaper describes the urge to hide behind the masks we wear.

I'll wrap it up with Perigee by Victoria_Lucas. I loved the images she paints with her words. The only problem that I have with this piece is the use of the word "schizophrenic"which I believe is used to imply a fractured state. As a psychology major, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people confuse schizophrenia with a fractured or multiple personality disorder. If that was not implied, my humblest apologies. It was an excellent poem well worth the read.

Please take the time to read and comment on the poems from yesterday. Again, I apologize for being late.
 
Back
Top