What are you reading at the moment?

Reading the first issue of DC Comics House of Mystery, 1952 it's DC's first horror comic and it came in the mail from the dealer I bought it from last night.

The stories are cheesy by today's standards, but fun and the smell of old comics is my favorite scent next to..... never mind.

I'd been hunting for this book in this grade for a long time(even e-bay has rarely had one listed) and got a call from a dealer I'd left my want list with three years ago.

I'm a happy camper as it was even a good price Although it was a little hard to convince the wife that $900 for a comic that has a subscription crease is a good price

Dear Reader what he means is his favorite smell is unwashed jock straps. He played LASSIE in the old PORKYS movie. Or maybe it was Miss Balbreaker.
 
"Shogun" by James Clavell

Previously I had just finished "Black Cross" by Greg Iles, "Digital Fortress" and "Deception Point" by Dan Brown. Everyone kept telling me that I needed to pickup Shogun, so I did.





I'd have saved a great deal of energy and trouble if— when I was young— I'd been exposed to and merely accepted the wisdom contained in Clavell's words. I had to learn these truths the hard way.










"Terrible, isn't it, not being able to trust anyone."

"Oh, no, Anjin-san, so sorry," she answered, "That's just one of life's most important rules-- no more, no less."


-James Clavell
Shōgun
New York, N.Y. 1975




Open your eyes to the ways of the world, my son— the promises of kings have no value, they can claim expedience. If this Shah or the next, or even your great general has to choose between your life and something of more value to them, which would they choose? Put no trust in princes, politicians, or generals, they will sell you, your family, and your heritage for a pinch of salt to put on a plate of rice they won't even bother to taste.


-James Clavell
Whirlwind
New York, N.Y. 1986





 


...They didn't think in terms of right and wrong. All they cared about was keeping up appearances. The NCAA rules existed, in theory, to maintain the integrity of college athletics. These investigators were meant to act as a police department. In practice, they were more like the public relations wing of an inept fire department. They might not be the last people on earth to learn that some booster or coach had bribed some high school jock, but they usually weren't the first either. Some scandal would be exposed in a local newspaper and they would go chasing after it, in an attempt to minimize the embarrassment to the system. They didn't care how things were, only how they could be made to seem. A poor black football star inside the home of this rich white booster could be made to seem quite scandalous, and so here they were, bothering Michael. The lady said she was just trying to establish the facts of the case, but the facts didn't describe the case. If the Tuohys were Ole Miss boosters— and they most certainly were— they had violated the letter of every NCAA rule ever written...

...Not long after college coaches informed him that he had a future in the NFL, Michael informed Leigh Anne that, if he indeed made it to the NFL, he intended to buy a house with thirteen bedrooms so that his mother and siblings would be guarantied shelter. Now he wasn't so sure he wanted to do that. "They had the same chances I had," he said. "They need to get off their lazy asses and work. They need to start hearing 'no.' "


-Michael Lewis
The Blind Side: Evolution Of A Game
New York, N.Y. 2006.






What can I say? I needed a book to read on an airplane. I was curious. I like Michael Lewis' stuff.

The book confirmed my disgust with the hypocrisy and corruption of big time "Kolledge" football. He was a functional illiterate and the book is a catalogue of how to bend the rules and game the system in order to get him into "Kolledge." Make no mistake about it, Michael Oher was a professional athlete at age 16 because he was a "freak of nature." He had no business attending any self-respecting college. He should have gone straight to work in the NFL's minor leagues.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Oher



 
"The Zombie Survival Guide," by Max Brooks.

And it amused to me to find out he is the son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft.
 
Still working on zombies, but needed a break. So I just finished Bedford Square by Anne Perry, which prompted me to get her first Thomas Pitt novel, The Cater Street Hangman, so I'm reading that.
 
I have three unfinished books cluttering up my nightstand

Wild Cards: Suicide Kings - ed. George R. R. Martin
Dance of Dragons - George R. R. Martin
Broken Angels - Richard Morgan

The first one I'm reading to my wife when we go to bed together, which didn't happen too often recently (I'm obsessing over my writing, which takes huge chunks out of my nights), the second I can't get into after all the time between the prequel and this one, and the third I have started, but whenever I go to bed, I'm too damn tired to actually read any more and go to sleep instead.
 
I have three unfinished books cluttering up my nightstand

Wild Cards: Suicide Kings - ed. George R. R. Martin
Dance of Dragons - George R. R. Martin
Broken Angels - Richard Morgan

The first one I'm reading to my wife when we go to bed together, which didn't happen too often recently (I'm obsessing over my writing, which takes huge chunks out of my nights), the second I can't get into after all the time between the prequel and this one, and the third I have started, but whenever I go to bed, I'm too damn tired to actually read any more and go to sleep instead.

Oh, man, I loved the Wild Card books way back when. I still have a number of them. One of my many projects lined up is to figure out exactly how many WC books are out there. And then get them. :)

I admit I loved the first two or three more than later ones but they were still great books.
 
I'm reading two books I found in a used book store...

I'm reading J. Maarten Troost's The Sex Lives of Cannibals (very funny travelogue) and David Stone's The Echelon Vendetta. (Stone is a new author for me-- I usually do not read spy thrillers, but a friend highly recommended this author to me.)
 
Oh, man, I loved the Wild Card books way back when. I still have a number of them. One of my many projects lined up is to figure out exactly how many WC books are out there. And then get them. :)

I admit I loved the first two or three more than later ones but they were still great books.

Let me help you a little. Recently (over the last three or so years), the Wild Card gang have "rebooted" their series, with "Inside Straight", "Busted Flush" and "Suicide Kings" forming a self-contained trilogy. Awesome stuff and well worth the trouble of getting them, let me assure you. Gripping stories, very likeable superheroes with powers completely out of left field and a surprising amount of smut, considering we're talking mainstream here. Good times :) The idea of a superhero casting show alone is pure win :)
 
Let me help you a little. Recently (over the last three or so years), the Wild Card gang have "rebooted" their series, with "Inside Straight", "Busted Flush" and "Suicide Kings" forming a self-contained trilogy. Awesome stuff and well worth the trouble of getting them, let me assure you. Gripping stories, very likeable superheroes with powers completely out of left field and a surprising amount of smut, considering we're talking mainstream here. Good times :) The idea of a superhero casting show alone is pure win :)

I had found a web site that contained some of that information (wildcards.net, maybe? It's been a while), but thanks for more detail. I'll have to add this to my list... which has just grown since discovering Anne Perry... and that's not counting the writing list...

And back on topic, I'm now reading Death in the Devil's Acre by Anne Perry.
 
The White Lioness by Henning Mankell (a Swedish Kurt Wallander mystery)
 

...The historical record on M.S. Hershey was far more complicated than either side in the sale debate wanted to acknowledge. He was not a miracle-working saint. He was profoundly amibitious, and more than a little egotistical. Both these qualities are required of any man who would build so much and acquire so much power...

...But while the opponents of the sale insisted that M.S. would never agree to sell his chocolate company to outsiders, in fact he had done just that. If not for the stock market crash of 1929, Hershey Chocolate would have become part of a larger, diversified food conglomerate. When you then recall that M.S. again flirted with selling out in the 1930s, it becomes clear that he was open to change and could imagine an end to the grand social experiment he had begun when he first bought land for his factory...





-Michael D'Antonio
Hershey: Milton S. Hershey's Extraordinary Life of Wealth, Empire, and Utopian Dreams
New York, N.Y. 2006.





Like so many of the great industrial entrepreneurs, several of Milton S. Hersey's businesses failed before one took off. Notwithstanding the carefully-cultivated image of benevolent paternalism and utopian success, he could be quite ruthless, arbitrary and capricious. The politicos of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania have gravely damaged The Milton Hershey School and the company's shareholders by placing restrictions on the company's transfer.





 
Sue Grafton's V is for Vengeance (a good escape series when I'm deep into writing a mystery myself)

Frank Gallant's A Place Called Peculiar (vignettes on strange town names state by state that I received for Christmas and have to be able to tell the gifter I've read it)

And a series of zany mass market cozy mysteries by other panelists of a program one of my mainstream pen name authors is on for a coming book festival.
 
TESTAMENT by John Romer.

Egyptologist scrutinizes the Bible with historical, archaeological, and literary records.

It and EXCAVATING JESUS are excellent companions to understand what the Bible is all about.
 
Sue Grafton's V is for Vengeance (a good escape series when I'm deep into writing a mystery myself)

Frank Gallant's A Place Called Peculiar (vignettes on strange town names state by state that I received for Christmas and have to be able to tell the gifter I've read it)

And a series of zany mass market cozy mysteries by other panelists of a program one of my mainstream pen name authors is on for a coming book festival.

Sigh.

I just spent 20 seconds reading a pathetic, "look at me" thread that mentions his own writing twice.
 
Guess it must be your "my life isn't big enough so I have to chew on his" time of the week for you, heh, LC? :D

Once again, I'm not going to pretend that my life is smaller just because yours is.

So, are you going to shit on yet another thread with your silly hate campaign?
 
Last edited:
Well, I started collecting OnePiece Manga. I'm on book eight and theres over sixty total. I'm collecting the JD Robb(Nora Roberts) ...In Death seriesm currently reading the third to most recent.

Last books I've read were The Litigators and Black Blade Blues. The Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair, the Hunger games, and The Amazing Spider-Man: A Brand New Day.
 
Well, I started collecting OnePiece Manga. I'm on book eight and theres over sixty total. I'm collecting the JD Robb(Nora Roberts) ...In Death seriesm currently reading the third to most recent.

Last books I've read were The Litigators and Black Blade Blues. The Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair, the Hunger games, and The Amazing Spider-Man: A Brand New Day.

I've read most of the JD Robb ones, but I think I'm falling behind.
 
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Miller, Janson and Varley) and Homer's Iliad. Oh, and I read Og's Brigit story - it was hilarious!

I just got to the bit in The Iliad where Alexandros (Paris) offers Menelaus single combat so everyone-else doesn't have to fight. Pretty boy versus super hunk in single combat? mmmmmm! bring it on.
 
I'm in a well-written YA post-apocalyptic story phase. Just read Divergent and Insurgence, City of Bones (the first in a series I'm rereading) and I'm about to pick up Shadows, which is the second in the Ashes trilogy. All really good, strong female protagonists. An antidote to Bella Swan and what's her name from 50 shades ...
 
Feel like reading, but too burnt out to start something new.

So broke out F. Paul Wilson's The Keep. Probably have read this thing 2 dozen times, but its one of those books that's like the company of a comfortable old friend.
 
Back
Top