Casual authoritative attire

YourCaptor

Cute Girl Connoisseur
As a man, what can you wear on a casual day out that will radiate authority?

No suits, uniforms, etc. The challenge here is to make it casual.

So far the only thing that comes to mind is sunglasses.

Maybe a leather jacket?

I vote for dressing appropriately for the function in clean clothes that fit you well.

I think looking authoritative comes from your attitude, not from the clothes. You can wear a uniform and look extremely unauthoritative and you can dress up as a clown and still look authoritative.

To me sunglasses are just a necessary accessory everybody uses if it's sunny, nothing particularly authoritative about them. And if you wear them when it's not necessary, it usually just ends up looking silly.

I might not be the right person to answer this question though, because I'm not visual at all. As long as it's appropriate (as in no ass hanging out etc), clean and fits, I don't care what people are wearing. :)

Good to see you back posting. :)

When in doubt ask yourself, what would Don Draper wear? He gives good casual authoritative.

Doesn't Don Draper always wear suits? Even to bed he wears pinstripe pajamas. Great looks, but not very casual.

I agree with seela though, it's far more about how you present yourself in the attire, than the actual attire itself. Not sure about the sunglasses though, as eye contact can be a very valuable tool.

Darker colors seem to project strength better than lighter or bright stuff. As long as it's fitting for the location/event/etc. I would have preference for pants, jeans, boots, leather belts. Leather jackets are tricky. Many different styles for many different occasions. I currently own four, but unlike most clothes that can be matched to your size, you look better in leather with some muscle to fill it out.

The options will vary a lot though, depending on the venue, the crowd, your age group or part of the world you are in, etc., etc.. Fashion styles are constantly changing as well, so it's important to keep up on that as well.

Once again, I believe it far more important to know how to project your strength, confidence and the like, through attitude, action or word as opposed to clothing.

Doesn't Don Draper always wear suits? Even to bed he wears pinstripe pajamas. Great looks, but not very casual.

I agree with seela though, it's far more about how you present yourself in the attire, than the actual attire itself. Not sure about the sunglasses though, as eye contact can be a very valuable tool.

Darker colors seem to project strength better than lighter or bright stuff. As long as it's fitting for the location/event/etc. I would have preference for pants, jeans, boots, leather belts. Leather jackets are tricky. Many different styles for many different occasions. I currently own four, but unlike most clothes that can be matched to your size, you look better in leather with some muscle to fill it out.

The options will vary a lot though, depending on the venue, the crowd, your age group or part of the world you are in, etc., etc.. Fashion styles are constantly changing as well, so it's important to keep up on that as well.

Once again, I believe it far more important to know how to project your strength, confidence and the like, through attitude, action or word as opposed to clothing.

^ I agree. Make use of this very useful response and not mine, I'm unhealthily obsessed with suits and it clouds my judgement.

seela has the right idea. I don't think that dark colors and leather jackets do anything for making someone seem authoritative. If you dress appropriately for the occasion and carry yourself well, I think that shows someone with control.

When my husband wears a suit, he jokes that he feels the need to go take over (world domination style). :D

(´・_・`) He does get really amped up for meetings, though.

I've seen guys wear dark clothes and stand around looking like they're Billy Badass. When I see that, I imagine they're thinking, "I look cool, right? I'm such a badass! That's right, crossing my arms 'cause I'm tough!" This is also the guy who always wears casual clothing and doesn't care that the occasion calls for something more appropriate. He does what he wants. :rolleyes: I giggle to myself.

I would say that you should find clothing you feel comfortable wearing that looks good and boosts your confidence. Fashion trends aren't necessary. Clean fitted clothing is a good place to start. When it comes to men's fashion, from what I understand, the shoes and watch matter.

What kind of casual wear are you looking for? Do you like collared shirts? Do you feel best in t-shirts and flip flops? Is this everyday clothing for the grocery store, or a date in the park?

It comes down to what you look and feel good in.

Dressing authoritatively?

For me it is "dressing for the job at hand" and being mentally prepared to get the job done.
(Whatever the job might be :D )

And I certainly agree with Seela, that authority is about attitude (and competence).

The clothing may signal "formal authority", but real authority comes from the person.
In many cases though, it certainly doesn't hurt to "look the part"!

Last edited:
Clothes DO NOT make the Man...

If you are not "authoritative" in you own skin then no style, color, fashion or gimmick can change that.

If you want to "look" authoritative...Hold your head high, Chin up, Chest out. Straighten your spine, don't slouch! Own the situation and the room. Know WHO you are before your try to convince someone WHAT you are!! Be Alert! , Look around at others and stop trying to find someone looking at YOU! Be caring and compassionate but don't take any S@$T from anyone! Stand up for yourself but stand up for others. Above all Stand when a lady come to the table and open the door for her! Give her a rose and shower with compliments and tell her she's beautiful. If you can't BE assertive then you can't look assertive.

I can be naked in a crowed room full of strangers and no one will think any less of me because I am WHO I am with or without clothes.

You want to LOOK authoritative or BE authoritative?

Choose what you want but I know who & what I am!

Now, drop and give me 50 push-ups, before you make another post!! :D

Sig

I vote for dressing appropriately for the function in clean clothes that fit you well.

I think looking authoritative comes from your attitude, not from the clothes. You can wear a uniform and look extremely unauthoritative and you can dress up as a clown and still look authoritative.

To me sunglasses are just a necessary accessory everybody uses if it's sunny, nothing particularly authoritative about them. And if you wear them when it's not necessary, it usually just ends up looking silly.

I might not be the right person to answer this question though, because I'm not visual at all. As long as it's appropriate (as in no ass hanging out etc), clean and fits, I don't care what people are wearing. :)

Good to see you back posting. :)

Nailed-It.png

Whatever your "thing" is, do that thing. Do that thing so comfortably you don't have to think about it. If she doesn't like it, it's not your authority, it's your scene being unappealing in some way. You don't see hair metal dude with kitten sweater lady (often) for many basic reasons, it's not him being fail, just fail for her.

Our Dean of Discipline in junior high wore three piece suits usually in light beige type colors with wide ties. He was a tall broad shouldered man with a Elvis/Reagan pompadour and heavy horn rimmed glasses. You'd be "running-in-the-halls" with your buddies grabbing girls asses as we used to back then, and you'd look way down the hall, which was like a quarter mile long, and see him down yonder bestriding the cafeteria entrance like a colossus, with his arms folded, jacket off, just the satin-backed vest and shirtsleeves neatly rolled up and you'd skid to a stop glumly on the buffer wax knowing that you were headed to detention.

Our Dean of Discipline in junior high wore three piece suits usually in light beige type colors with wide ties. He was a tall broad shouldered man with a Elvis/Reagan pompadour and heavy horn rimmed glasses. You'd be "running-in-the-halls" with your buddies grabbing girls asses as we used to back then, and you'd look way down the hall, which was like a quarter mile long, and see him down yonder bestriding the cafeteria entrance like a colossus, with his arms folded, jacket off, just the satin-backed vest and shirtsleeves neatly rolled up and you'd skid to a stop glumly on the buffer wax knowing that you were headed to detention.

Yeah I don't think that answered the question :p

As to the OP, do NOT just wear sunglasses :eek: I don't care what Sig says, you will not be able to pull off "authoritative" in just sunglasses :D

And I'm with seela. I would also stay away from trendy stuff and the downright classic blunders like socks with sandals, etc :) if you can drop some money on clothing, a $50 t-shirt always looks better than a $5 one. Good shoes help, regardless of their style. And as Meeks said, a good watch never hurts a man's authoritah :)

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Actually just sunglasses may do the trick. I have a bod ya know. :cool:

Anyway, the idea comes from my work clothes. When I wear my lab coat I get sired like a 5 star general. It looks like doctors whites with government patches.

I would really love to have something like that with the ladies. Something I can just throw on and boom, instantaneous sway, more so than even her daddy has.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Actually just sunglasses may do the trick. I have a bod ya know. :cool:

Anyway, the idea comes from my work clothes. When I wear my lab coat I get sired like a 5 star general. It looks like doctors whites with government patches.

I would really love to have something like that with the ladies. Something I can just throw on and boom, instantaneous sway, more so than even her daddy has.

Oh, well in that case it seems all you need is a goodly sized cucumber :D
And really? People call you sire? Where are you living, 1642? :p :beingashiticon:

Yeah I don't think that answered the question

As to the OP, do NOT just wear sunglasses :eek: I don't care what Sig says, you will not be able to pull off "authoritative" in just sunglasses :D

CnC, Unless you are jesting you missed my point. If in case you are jesting, ignore the rest of this post. :rolleyes::kiss:

Some CAN pull off authoritative in just sunglasses but the majority of the time the situation calls for a little more. (Unless you are the security guard at a naturist resort) :D

I wanted the OP to realize the clothes don't dictate WHO you are. If you put a janitor in a set of scrubs and give him a stethoscope, it doesn't make him a doctor. If you put a Top Gun fighter pilot in an Armani Suit, it doesn't make him a Wall St. Stockbroker. ;)

I believe the man makes the clothes and not the other way around. And to the same point, if you put a collar and cuffs on someone it doesn't necessarily make them submissive. Jus Sayn! :caning::devil:

Can you be more or less confident in some clothes than others? Maybe. But I lean more toward BEING who you are versus trying to LOOK like something you aren't.

Nuff said.
Sig:cool: (sitting here in just my Oakley sunglasses guarding the gate to the resort) :p

CnC, Unless you are jesting you missed my point. If in case you are jesting, ignore the rest of this post. :rolleyes::kiss:

Some CAN pull off authoritative in just sunglasses but the majority of the time the situation calls for a little more. (Unless you are the security guard at a naturist resort) :D

I wanted the OP to realize the clothes don't dictate WHO you are. If you put a janitor in a set of scrubs and give him a stethoscope, it doesn't make him a doctor. If you put a Top Gun fighter pilot in an Armani Suit, it doesn't make him a Wall St. Stockbroker. ;)

I believe the man makes the clothes and not the other way around. And to the same point, if you put a collar and cuffs on someone it doesn't necessarily make them submissive. Jus Sayn! :caning::devil:

Can you be more or less confident in some clothes than others? Maybe. But I lean more toward BEING who you are versus trying to LOOK like something you aren't.

Nuff said.
Sig:cool: (sitting here in just my Oakley sunglasses guarding the gate to the resort) :p

Darn it! You made me spit coffee on my laptop! :D

Nuff said.

I don't miss points, I tend to avoid them :p
You may always, always, always assume I am joking when I include the big giant smiley face thingy. Which I included :D Unless I'm not joking. Like now :|

I don't miss points, I tend to avoid them :p
You may always, always, always assume I am joking when I include the big giant smiley face thingy. Which I included :D Unless I'm not joking. Like now :|

Glad to see you haven't lost that notorious sense of humor, CnC :kiss:

Cheers!
Sig:cool: (Still sitting at the gate waiting for your arrival)

Glad to see you haven't lost that notorious sense of humor, CnC :kiss:

Cheers!
Sig:cool: (Still sitting at the gate waiting for your arrival)

Why, I had no idea I was notorious for any reason whatsoever!
Though if I were, my humor would certainly be the culprit :D
*standing on tippy toes*
What's back there behind that gate? :innocentface:

Why, I had no idea I was notorious for any reason whatsoever!
Though if I were, my humor would certainly be the culprit :D
*standing on tippy toes*
What's back there behind that gate? :innocentface:

My occupation won't let me "assume" anything so please don't get offended if I require clarification. BTW, you know what they say when you assume. ;)

Regarding what's behind the gate....one must take off ones clothes to find out. For you, CnC, you can keep your collar and cuffs on. No need to stand on tip toes just come on back. But I suggest you wear some sunglasses. :)

:cool:

Last edited:
I don't get the impression that YC is trying to be all that he can pretend to be, I take this the same way as a chick posting "hey are there certain outfits that give off a subtly submissive vibe at a party? What colors read that way in people's minds, in general?"

It's a sad fact that male casual attire is basically neutral and non-coded and people only read expense and branding, so you can go with the fact that people assign magical power to label whores. Or "forget to take off your lab coat" or something. Lab coats are magically hot on anybody.

I'm turned on by a guy with a bag, attache, man purse or something like that, personally, though I'm weird. Beat up but good brown leather bag or a sleek messenger just makes spots in my brain happy.

Last edited:
Strong iconic masculine clothes.

Peacoat any length. Can be dressy with khakis, shoes and a shirt or longshoreman look with below wool cap.
Leather jacket must be of heavy motorcycle grade leather, well worn. Bonus for slight roadrash. Don't buy one, create your own. Or your a poser.
Non-camo military surplus jacket. Non-camo Robert De Niro. Camo Duck Commander.
Black wool cap/tuque goes with above three coats.
Sunglasses give an aloofness. Joe Cool wears them.
Footwear black!
During winter dress warm. You look more confident, comfortable and secure. Whining your feet are cold is for wusses.

I don't get the impression that YC is trying to be all that he can pretend to be, I take this the same way as a chick posting "hey are there certain outfits that give off a subtly submissive vibe at a party? What colors read that way in people's minds, in general?"

Ponytail, goatee, black vest and puffy sleeved swashbuckling zorro shirt, with tight knee breeches, much like Mick Fleetwood on the cover of "Rumors".

Back