Decadents and Dropouts IC

After the doppelganger was taken care of Verialyn approached them.

"Verialyn's the name. And now we can leave." she said with a smile. "But it would be a shame to leave these nice horses unattended for that the two generous northmen have so graciously donated to us, wouldn't it?".
 
After the doppelganger was taken care of Yerialyn approached them.

"Verialyn's the name. And now we can leave" she said with a smile. "But it would be a shame to leave these nice horses unattended for that the two generous northmen have so graciously donated to us, wouldn't it?".

"What did you do to them? Let them beat you until they felt sorry?" He sneered. Then his better mind kicked in, knowing he wasen't in much of a position to talk "I never realized you could be so bad. You ride?" He was sure he could find a pony for himself. Then he looked down at Koetia, and she looked back up at him, total ignorance and trust in her eyes.

"Well, except now we have this girl to deal with, and I don't think she can ride."
 
Verialyn Kallidis

"Actually you are not that far off, they did feel sorry at one point." Verialyn continued to smile. "At least Ulfgard did. I can indeed be a bad girl at times." .

"Yes, I can ride. With the necessary preparations. Speaking about the girl, how good do you know her? Her body is still humanoid, so at least physically she should be able to sit on a horse, but probably not alone. Do you think it is worth a try?

It will allow us to get away from here quicker."

With these words she walked into the stable and gestured for Canut and Phyliss to follow her. She headed towards the boxes the two barbarians kept their horses in. "Let's hope this will work the way I think it should" she thought as she took Ulfgard's coat from the spot she had dropped it when she started to pursue the doppelganger.
 
Last edited:
"Actually you are not that far off, they did feel sorry at one point. At least Ulfgard did." Verialyn continued to smile.

"Yes, I can ride. With the necessary preparations. Speaking about the girl, how good do you know her? Her body is still humanoid, so at least physically she should be able to sit on a horse, but probably not alone. Do you think it is worth a try?

It will allow us to get away from her quicker."

With these words she walked into the stable and gave Canut and Phyliss a sign to follow her. She headed towards the boxes the two barbarians kept their horses. "Let's hope this will work the way I think it should" she thought.

"Ok, I'll take your word for it." Canut wasen't particularly intrested in her escapeds, just so long as the two gentlemen weren't walking around to smash his skull in.

Following her down the ladder, he continued to speak, Koetia, leaping happly behind him. "Actually, we just met. Her name's Koetia, and I know she's got the brain of a dog, so I'm fairly certain we can't even keep her still long enough to get out of the stable, much less in a upright position." Taking a look at the great horses, he took himself over a few stocks and picked him a chestnut pony, leaping on and getting himself balanced. "Hey girl," he looked back down at Koetia, who was swishing her tail along the ground and looking up at him. "Follow me, ok?" he figured they had trained her to know all basic commands. Noticing Verialyn's "relly?" stare, he stood stiff. "What did you see?"
 
Last edited:
Verialyn Kallidis

"I have seen you take out two of the guys that were trying to catch us. Or what were you referring to?"

Well, if Canut thought Koetia would follow them, then they might try that. Maybe she had inherited some other dog traits as well, such as great endurance.

But now for the difficult part. She took Ulfgard's cloak in her hands and spread it before her. The cloak stank strongly. Just what she needed.

Animals, especially smell sensitive ones, usually have no great liking for vampires. As Sleipgardwyrn had demonstrated on their first encounter. It is not impossible for vampires to ride on horses, but the horse has to be accustomed to the unusual rider first. And that is where the cloak came in.

Judging by the stench Ulfgard had not washed it in quite some time. So his smell was still present here. And it worked. Sleipgardwyrn seemed a little confused, since the familiar smell did not match the unfamiliar outline of the person approaching him, but he did not retreat like the last time. Carefully Verialyn got to his side, draped Ulfgard's cloak over Sleipgardwyrn's back and finally mounted the gigantic horse. She looked almost a little lost on the huge warhorse that was bred to carry warriors twice her weight.

Now they only were waiting for Phyliss.
 
Last edited:
Phyliss Ovida

Phyliss wiped off her tears. A weeping gorgon, who ever heard of that? She would only ruin her makeup. She grabbed her bag with spare clothes and put them on the remaining horse. She wasn't a very good rider, but she might give it a try. She wasn't ready to speak about all what happened. "You say, this... creature. You will take it along?"
She didn't really mind how a creature looked. In fact, she did, a little, but at least she tried to be as tolerant about looks as possible. But a being without any sense and intelligence somehow felt appalling to her.
 
Verialyn Kallidis

"Well, Canut seems to really like her. So she's definitely better off with us than with whomever these sandcrawlers would have sold her to, wouldn't you agree?"
 
Phyliss Ovida

"So, we take her along." she said with a little disgust. "But keep her away from me." she thought, as she mounted the second horse.
 
"So before we burst out of the gates, in which direction do you want to go? The road runs west to east, and since we are not yet familiar with the horses I would suggest to stick to it for some time. I was heading east, but I do not mind travelling back west for some time."
 
Phyliss Ovida

"Uhh. What direction? Good question. Where are we going now? I have never been here before." Phyliss felt that Haerdons seemen began to run down her legs. She couldn't get pregnant, but it felt disturbing nevertheless. Would he survive being turned to stone? She didn't waste any thought to the stableboy. What happened to the other barbarian? She would ask Verialyn later. If those two were still alive, they would try to get their horses back. And they would seek revenge for sure. The sandcrawlers wouldn't have warm feelings for them either. They were weakened, losing four men and the shapeshifter, who was probably the most important henchmen here. But this was maybe just one place of them, how powerful was the syndicate that canut mentioned? And what happened with Dea? Was he a traitor who tricked them, or had he been drugged and caught?
"I don't know where to go, but I think we should do it fast." she looked back to the dog-creature and hoped they would loose her soon. She would have taken Canut on her horse, if he hadn't found a pony. But she wouldn't take the human mutt on horseback in front or behind her.
 
Last edited:
Verialyn Kallidis

"Well, if there are no other preferences, I suggest we continue east. I think Canut mentioned that the Syndicate was based in Sonmera, which lies to the southwest. So let's go, and fast, before the sandcrawlers take notice of the mishap their employees suffered."

With these words she led Sleipgardwyrn out of the stable gate facing away from the tavern, and spurred him into a canter towards the road. Over her shoulder she watched whether the others were following her.
 
Phyliss Ovida

"Come on, Canut." said the gorgon.
Phyliss turned to Verialyn. "We shouldn't go to far away from the endless river, because that is our destination so far. Maybe we look for a safe place, then I can have a look if our barbarians put some more gifts for us to their horse, and we can think and talk over how to go on."
 
Last edited:
Verialyn Kallidis

"Well, we will have to rest some time tonight anyways. At least I will. But since it is still a few hours until midnight, we should first try to get a few miles away from here before we set up camp.

Where exactly at the endless river are you headed?"
 
Phyliss Ovida

"It doesn't really matter where we go there, we just have to find a snuggly riverboat, big enough for us and maybe some more. A place where we could live in peace." said Phyliss.
 
Verialyn Kallidis

"This sounds more like a long term goal to me, though. Let's take care of the urgent matters first. And if we are led away from the river, we can always return."

Verialyn thought about Phyliss' suggestion for a while as they were silently riding along the road towards the east. She noticed that Koetia had indeed - as she had hoped - no problem to keep up with their pace.

After about an hour she addressed Phyliss again "I was thinking about your plan with the river boat. Do we have enough funds already to buy one? And how would we make our living once we were on the boat?"

"Plus, some of us have a very peculiar diet that requires outside company from time to time." The last sentence was only whispered, so Canut would not be able to hear it. After he had helped them against the sandcrawlers Verialyn no longer distrusted him, but she still preferred some facts to be kept as secret as possible.
 
Phyliss Ovida

"I hoped Dea would buy it, but that is out for now. So..." Phyliss smiled suddenly, "..we might have to become pirates."
 
Verialyn Kallidis

"Or we might find some other opportunity on the way. While we are talking about money, let's examine Ulfgard's present."

With these words she took out the purse she had taken from the barbarian, opened it and examined its contents. "Hmm, seems they really were looking for well paid work. There's roughly a hundred gold coins in there, enough to live comfortably for some time, but definitely way too little for a boat."

After another two hours, around midnight, Verialyn pointed to a few trees standing a little off the road. "I am getting a little tired, and this looks like a good place to set up camp. How about it?"
 
Phyliss Ovida

"Now, at least we can afford some food and wine now, maybe a decent lodge as well." phyliss was a bit annoyed that she didn't searched Haerdon, but she was thinking of getting dressed and escape then.
"Allright, this place looks ok. In the wilderness again." she said a bit disappointed. Even a smal "town" like crown hollow would have been a change for a while.
 
Verialyn Kallidis

Verialyn led her horse to the campsite-to-be. She dismounted and prepared her bedroll in a comfortable spot. After taking care of the horse she returned to the others.

"We better do not light a campfire tonight, and we should alternate standing guard. I will volunteeer for the first watch."

With these words she took the claymore and sat on a tree stump, starting to survey the nearby area while watching her comrades settle down. The missing campfire actually way a boon here, as it allowed her sensitive eyes to penetrate the darkness even further.

Verialyn mused that a nice soft bed would be a welcome change to the nights in the wilderness, but for now she had to take what she could get.
 
"Oh, I think I've got what we need," Canut's tiny pony finnally managing to catch up, Koetia skipping along on all fours next to him. Reaching towards his belt, his grubby fist revealed four small belt pouchs hanging from their drawstrings. "Compliments of the Sandcrawlers." Opening a single one, he revealed a whole containor of diamond dust. "Standard currency among the Crawlers. Not quite enough, but we'll see exactly how much we need when we get there, eh?"

Glaring over at Verialyn, Canut continued to deliver his speed-delayed thoughts. " We're heading towards the Endless River, unless you want to explain to the Imperials how we managed to get four bags of diamond dust, one bag of gold, and yet somehow can't even afford decent cloths. We can check to docks, find out how much a riverboat and provisions cost, and I can get work to cover the differnce. I've still got a few freinds up that way he may need some help."
 
As Canut mentioned their current state of dress Verialyn inadvertently looked down at herself and noticed that the topmost button of her vest was missing. It probably got torn off when Ulfgard "undressed" her. Her vest had been somewhat low cut before, now it really had the potential to attract male gazes. But there was nothing she could do about it at the moment.

"Are there any docks out here in the wilderness at all? As soon as some sort of settlement is attached to it we will have to deal with the Imperials in one way or another. Unless we avoid advertising our riches."

"These friends of yours, who are they and what sort of work would they offer?"
 
Last edited:
As Canut mentioned their current state of dress Verialyn inadvertently looked down at herself and noticed that the topmost button of her vest was missing. It probably got torn of when Ulfgard "undressed" her. Her vest had been somewhat low cut before, now it really had the potential to attract male gazes. But there was nothing she could do about it at the moment.

"Are there any docks out here in the wilderness at all? As soon as some sort of settlement is attached to it we will have to deal with the Imperials in one way or another. Unless we avoid advertising our riches."

"These friends of yours, who are they and what sort of work would they offer?"

"Look, the Imperial Holdings don't bother with the indepndent settlements out here unless they're trading. Juristiction dosen't go past there borders, you know. All we have to do is keep out of there and we're golden.

To be perfecctly honest, Canut haden't really noticed her, compromised dress. Honestly, he'd learned long ago to snuff out the reactionary surges of testoterone such caused, except for, well, he spared a glance down at Koetia who was flopping around right next to him.

"The kind of freinds who out on long and high limbs, thats who. Fronteir councials, mayors, minor crime lords, basically guys who needed my expertice on one occasion or another. And don't worry about the work ,me and Phyliss can handle it. It's not the kind of thing you'de be intrested in."
 
"It is somewhat intrigueing that you know so well what kind of work I am interested in. Or maybe you don't?"
 
"It is somewhat intrigueing that you know so well what kind of work I am interested in. Or maybe you don't?"

"Look, all I'm saying is this isen't the kind of work a mammal like you can handle, got it? Unless you're intrested in seeing how fast your charred skin starts peeling off."
 
"Phyliss is a mammal as well, you know? But now you got me a little curious. You are not suggesting we will be paid to skinny-dip in a volcano, are you?"
 
Back
Top