New writer looking for advice.

Sir_Maveric

Really Experienced
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Posts
181
Hi all. I’m not sure if I need an editor. I’m actually pretty good writing in English and know punctuation rules. I could, however, use some advice about which section my story should go. First off, it’s a story. Part one (of 4) is 22397 words. It’s a fantasy but includes hard core sex. (M/f) If anyone could point me towards the right section I would appreciate it. Barring that, if anyone can tell me if the mods would correct the section, or move the story, if I did put it in the wrong place, that would help me out a lot as well.

If someone is willing to invest time to read before I submit, I’m game for that as well. I always appreciate feedback.

Thanx for reading.

Mav
 
Last edited:
it's been my experience that the person who reviews before publishing will change the category if they think it is more appropriate in another section. sexual content shouldn't deter you from putting it in the fantasy section.
 
AAARRGGH!!! OK, need more advice. First part of the story posted in the romance section. The fantasy doesn't kick in until part 3 so I stuck it there. BUT!! I just found a typo in part 1. Is it worth it to edit for one letter? The word in question is on the last page and somehow got spelled as check instead of cheek. Reading it most will automatically correct it in their heads, but it bugs me.

Thoughts?
 
Thanx. Made me laugh. I'll try to live with it and just fix it in the master copy here at home.

And yes, I have read some fiction here. Trying to be polite I will say I have cringed a few times.
 
Curious. I find myself watching the vote count. Is there a way to see the totals for the vote?

i.e. how many 1 star vs 5 star votes, etc.

It's my first story online so I'm in that newbie phase where I'm looking for feedback. No one has left a comment yet so I'm grasping at anything that can give me a hint.
 
If you want feedback you can ask for it on the story feedback part of the forum. Put a link to the story to help people.

I read 2 pages and then got bored I'm afraid. Not my cup of tea.

The typo you found is not the only one (Head hanging is shame).
 
Votes

Curious. I find myself watching the vote count. Is there a way to see the totals for the vote?

i.e. how many 1 star vs 5 star votes, etc.


No, actually there is no way but luck to see whether you got 15 threes and fours or ten fives and five ones - if you manage to track each vote as it comes in and see how it changes the overall score, which is a simple average, you'd get some idea.
 
No worries about it not being your cup of tea, hadruprider. I appreciate the honesty.
Going to go over the master copy here for more typos. If there are too many I'll resubmit. Using MS Word and it told me everything is OK. Even the check here when I went to submit didn't show anything.

Thanks GrandTeton. I looked and couldn't find anything, that's why I asked. Would be a nice feature if they added it.

I have been checking frequently and have seen 2 drops as people clicked, so I know a couple were low stars. The others have kept it near the 4.40 range so I'm not too disappointed.
 
Don't worry too much about minor typos. But if you do, don't rely on Word! Or any other spellchecker. The best way, I think, is to make a few friends here and then email it to them to check.
Your scores are good so clearly some people have a longer attention span than me, and like it.
 
That was my worry. At 22k~ words it's a lot to ask of someone to edit or check. If it was a quickie I probably would have asked for an editor. Even proofing it took me 3 hours so I didn't want to stick someone else with it.

Parts 2 & 3 have been submitted. I wrote this a while ago. Part 4 will be later this week. I need to make sure it is within the guidelines for the site. A bit of a rewrite is required for that.

Update: Took your advice and posted to the feedback forum and asked. Now I wait.

Thanks for your help.
 
Last edited:
No worries about it not being your cup of tea, hadruprider. I appreciate the honesty.
Going to go over the master copy here for more typos. If there are too many I'll resubmit. Using MS Word and it told me everything is OK. Even the check here when I went to submit didn't show anything.

bare/bear, here/hear, break/brake (so many get the last one wrong.

Word will notify if something is non-existent, but lets improper substitutions by with gleeful abandon.

Knowing the language and being able to critically read your own text is the only way to catch them.

Having a second set of eyes look at it is best. Either beta readers or an editor. :)
 
I’m usually pretty good with things like that. Depends on the time of day that I’m writing at though. 2a.m. I tend to miss things and have to go back and correct them.

Agreed with word and spellcheck; they’re useless at substitutions. It’s what lead me here. Check vs cheek.

But at least it was spelled correctly!
 
Ok, new question: What’s the criteria for the “Hot” label? It’s been applied to part 1 of my story and although not complaining, I’d like to understand how and why it got there.
 
Thanks. I’m happy people like it.

Just curious, if it gets voted back down below the 4.50 mark will the label disappear?
 
Thanks. I’m happy people like it.

Just curious, if it gets voted back down below the 4.50 mark will the label disappear?

Lol. Yes. Yes, it will.

Take a gander at my thread about losing your red h. I'll say this.... don't get attached to it. It's like a garnish. It's pretty but it's not the meal, and it might come and go. Only time will tell.
 
I took a screenshot. It’ll comfort me if/when it disappears. I’m 46 and I write for my pleasure. The fact that others enjoy them is nice but it won’t make or break me. The story is what’s important and I’d rather some feedback than an extra label.

Having trouble finding your thread. Can I ask you to post a link? Using my iPhone and searching is a nightmare. But I did try first!!!
 
Last edited:
I took a screenshot. It’ll comfort me if/when it disappears. I’m 46 and I write for my pleasure. The fact that others enjoy them is nice but it won’t make or break me. The story is what’s important and I’d rather some feedback than an extra label.

Having trouble finding your thread. Can I ask you to post a link? Using my iPhone and searching is a nightmare. But I did try first!!!

Here you go. Yes, on phones it is a bit of a nightmare. :)

http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1474644
 
Thanks. Reading now. And I’m not ashamed to say I’m sitting here giggling my ass off.

Update: your uni-star bomber struck. 4.47 now. Screenshot to the rescue!!
 
Last edited:
Read to end of page 3. You guys are hysterical. But it does leave me with a question, and I apologize in advance if it was answered there already.

If someone requests a sweep, what is in place to prevent the trolls from coming right back and just doing it again? I understand that by then the story in question would have moved down the list and may not be as visible, but if these trololos are as dedicated as they seem, wouldn’t they just bomb the story again?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top