Ready for Opening Night (Closed)

• Thread starter Lustful_Intentions
  • Start date
L

Lustful_Intentions

The Midwest was a terrible place to launch a club. At least, that’s what the investors who’d turned down Jack Fletcher’s solicitation to fund his new venture told him.

For Jack, not being one to doubt himself, the rejections had only served to further motivate him to dig deeper into his own savings, to borrow a bit more heavily, and to throw himself into building and promoting his new nightlife venture.

The money, earned after several years of successful work in developing games for mobile phones, wasn’t his concern. It was the unrelenting fear of failure that drove the 35 year old to the edge of panic attacks when he considered where his club stood today, just three weeks before the planned open date.

This was the thought that occupied him as he wrapped his fingers around the handle of the heavy steel door that led into the club. To date, about the only thing that had gone well was the renovation of the three story, 12,000 square foot space from an old shipping warehouse on the water to the space he needed it to be. Raised platforms dotted the space around the dance floor, two large cages hung from the ceilings, and the 150 foot long bar at the west end was receiving its finishing touches.

The physical space was not the problem. The problem, in this mid-sized rust belt city, was the personnel. Jack’s plan was for go-go dancers to occupy the platforms and cages, executing what might be called routines designed to look like spontaneous, sensual dances-raising the energy on the floor and driving more activity at the bar.

But, getting dancers who were attractive, willing to dress the part, and put themselves through the training needed to do the job right was proving difficult. Truly, it was the training part that had gone badly. He’d asked a local girl who claimed to have some background to do it, with abysmal results.

Fed up, Jack had released her from her obligation two days ago. It was time for drastic measures. He’d called Kali, a girl a friend of his from California had told him could solve his problem. They’d talked on the phone a few times while negotiating the offer for her to come out and prop up the dancers for him, but tonight would be the first opportunity for them to meet.

He pushed the door shut behind him, ensuring that it latched before turning down the dark hallway. Jack could hear a thump of the speakers down the hall, coming from the main room of the club. Taking a deep breath, his dark green eyes adjusting to the dim light, he made his way towards the main room, hoping that Kali would be the answer to his troubles. If not, Jack's doubters might just be proved correct.

Kali had worked hard to get to where she was. She had gotten the amazing reputation by proving her abilities over and over again. She had moved from a small town in Oregon to New York in pursuit of her dancing dreams. She had attended New York's Dance Academy and had excelled there. She had her choice afterwatds of where she wanted to go and what she wsnted to do. She uprooted her life again and moved to California where she opened a dance school. The school was doing so well that she was able to pick up sids jobs, often helping train or choreograph for dance teams or for public events and such.

She wasnt totally shocked when she got the call to help get dancers ready for the opening of a new up and coming club. After talking with the owner numerous times and negotiating a contract she made the trip to follow thru with her commitment.

The music was pumping out a great beat as she entered and took a look around. She had worn a little black dress that clung to her dancer body, standing at 5'10 it showed a great deal of leg. She ran her fingers thru her long dark brown hair as she waited to meet with the ownershe had spoken to so often over the past couple of weeks.

As he emerged from the hallway, Jack got his first glimpse of Kali, though only from behind. He would later confess to himself that he was surprised at how tall she looked, her dress hugging her tightly. At just over six feet, she looked from a distance as though she’d match him in height.

Reaching the main room, the sound was a bit overwhelming. He looked up to the booth, shaking his head. Mario, the DJ, had been giving the sound system some serious workouts as he crafted new mixes and arrangements for the first few nights. Jack waved his right hand over his head in Mario’s direction, hoping to capture his attention, making a swiping motion across his neck in order to get him to cut the sound.

Finally, Mario picked his head up, headphones hanging from one ear, gave a toothy grin, and cut the sound.

“Thank you.” Jack called, sarcasm dripping. He knew the club was going to be a loud place, but, he expected a bit more quiet for his first conversation with his dance consultant.

At this point, he could only see her from behind, and, while his mind was focused on the business at hand, he couldn’t help but note the slender, fit form Kali cut in her black dress. Stroking a hand quickly through his short dark hair, he called out to her as he made several long strides in her direction.

“Hi there, you must be Kali. Aaron’s told me so much about you. I’m glad you could make it. Flight was okay?” When Jack was amped up to meet someone, he often fired off several sentences in a row.

Kali had been in her share of clubs so she could appriciate what she saw in front of her. She had alot of respect for Jack and his vision. It was never easy getting established in a new place where nobody had anything like it. He had done a good job so far, from what she could see. She walked over to the platforms and up at the cages. She could envision the dancers performing to the beat of the music. She was torn from the visualization when the music came to a stop and a few seconds later she heard her name.

Turning toward the voice she smile, "Hi there. You must be Jack. Its a pleasure to meet you. Aaron had good things to say about you as well." She smiled as they shook hands. My flight was good.. Ive gotten pretty used to flying so it doesnt usually bother me. This is quite the club you have here... When did you say opening night is?"

She couldnt help but notice how handsome he was, very professtional but there was something very attractive about him, she forced herself to focus, they were just working together... nothing more.

Jack smiled as he took her slender hand in his and gave it a firm shake. Aaron's message to Jack when passing Kali's contact information was 'Don't fall in love with this one, okay? I know how you are. She's not the Midwest type, so she's not sticking around, pal.'

As he took a quick look at her from the front, Jack could see why the warning was offered to him. She was just a bit shorter than him, but very well put together, confident, with kind eyes. At the worst, he assumed this would make for a pleasant working relationship.

"Good, I'm glad that you were able to get in okay-I know not everyone likes to fly." He, personally, treated it as a necessary evil.

Jack released her hand, motioning to a booth in the corner, "Here's let's grab a seat and chat for a few-the contractors are still finishing up my office on the second floor, but it should be done next week." He continued as they started in the direction of the booth.

"Opening night is three weeks from tomorrow, Friday. The bartenders and floor servers have been here on the weekends for the last two weeks training and learning the drink menus and POS systems. Allison, my GM, has that under control. The bouncers and security will be here next week for some onboarding-basic ingress and egress, fire exits, some CPR training, etc-she'll handle all that with the appropriate professionals."

Jack slid into one side of the booth, gliding across the faux black leather, motioning for Kali to take the other side. "The dancers, there are 6 of them right now, have been training for about a month, three days week."

He smoothed his right hand down the left sleeve of his blue and white checked dress shirt, "But, the last couple of times I've seen them go through the paces, they look stiff, unsure of themselves even. I have an idea of what I want, and I know it's not that." Jack smiled, "That's where you come in, Kali. I need you to get these girls on the same page. How do we do that?"

She followed him to the booth and slid in across from him. "Well physically tje place is great and it sounds like you have everything right on track." She listened as he spoke of the dancers, "well stiff and unsure are not words that should describe a dancer thats for sure. But thats why I am here!" Smiling at him, "are they willing to be here practicing more than 3 days a week? I mean, I wont say they need more until I have actually seen what I am working with but I can imagine they will, most do." She paussd to tale a breath because she hadnt realized she hadnt taken one. She tended to get enthused when it came to dance galk and often found herself rambling about things nobody who wasnt a dancer knew anything about.

"So is this your firsy club or do you have others?" Aaron had been a little vauge when telling her about the clubs owner, simply telling her not to break his heart. She had laughed at the time but after seeing him now, well he was her type.

A smile crossed his face as Kali complimented his work so far. Jack knew he was delving into a new venture, and it was reaffirming for him to hear someone who’d seen more than a few night clubs provide some positive feedback.

"It is my first club. Honestly, I never thought I'd do something like this-most of my work was done in technology before this. To be honest, I'm not even that big of a club guy, I just thought that there was an opportunity to do something different in this town that some of the young folks might appreciate. Everywhere else around here, its dingy little bars, which are fine sometimes, or skeevy little pick up joints. I wanted this to be different. Sounds like I'm on the right path."

Considering her question, Jack let out a long, slow breath. Leaning his body back into the cushion, he flipped his green eyes to the ceiling. He hated to speak for his employees, but the truth remained that his dancers, in Jack’s eyes, weren’t cutting it. He dragged his fingers across the table, pondering a response.

“Yes. I think they will be up for it. If not, they’re gone. Simple as that. I need people who are committed to making this work, and being successful at it. I like all of these girls-they’re young, they want to be here, but if they push back against coming in more for practice, I’m fine with you letting go.”

Jack leaned across the table, narrowing his eyes at Kali. “For the next month, Kali, these dancers belong to you-I’m trusting you with a big part of making this successful.”

He caught himself, laughed a little. “Okay, sorry, I’m being a bit intense. I just need this...the club, to work. You in?”

Last edited by a moderator:
She nodded her head as he spoke of his new business. "Well I can see how this town could use a place like this. I am sure it might take a little time for some of the residents to come around but it will happen."

She watched his internal struggle as he started talking about his dancers. "I am fair, but I will be honest. I am here to do a job not to be their friend so, so if I dont think they are going to cut it I am not going to waste time and money. I have a pretty good idea of how it should go/look but I will need to talk with your dj and get an exact idea.." she ran her fingers thru her hair, a habit she had never been able to kick. "Everything is going to come together... this place will be great. Honestly I wish there had been someplace like this where I could have worked while I was in school." She laughed "Alot of girls would kill for the opportunity." She looked across the table at him and smiled, "Im in."

Jack slapped his hand down on the table at the words ‘I’m in.” He was thrilled to have Kali on board, and trusted that she would be able to get his dancers where he needed them to go. A tingle went down his spine as he contemplated spending four weeks working closely with Kali on the skills the girls would need to master. That she was confident, controlled and eager left him feeling energized.

“Sure, the DJ. We can do that.” He turned toward the balcony, where Mario was packing up his gear. Mario was a goof, and a bit off center, but he took good care of his gear, a trait Jack could appreciate.

“Mario! Mario, come on down here, please.” His voice boomed across the empty space, echoing off the brick walls. Jack reminded himself that the acoustics needed a second check before they started turning 800 folks a night through the doors.

Turning to Kali, he said “You’ll like Mario, real easy guy to work with. He might get a little handsy with the dancers, so keep an eye on him.”

Mario approached, and Jack introduced the pair.

“Mario, I need you to make sure Kali gets whatever she needs to get the girls whipped into shape. We’ve only got three weeks to get it right. If she needs more time from you, I’ll cover it, just clock it in.”

He smiled and nodded, feeling far more secure in the status of his dancers than he had 30 minutes before.

“Well, I’ll leave the two of you to work out the details for tomorrow’s practice. It’s not something I should be meddling in.” Jack gave a half wave, “Kali, you’ve got my cell. The girls are scheduled to be here at 7 tomorrow. I’ll stop by sometime after that to check in. See you tomorrow!”

With that, he turned, and made his way out of the club, whistling as he walked away. This, this could work, Jack Fletcher told himself.

Kali laugjed as he described Mario, "I think being handsy with dancers comes with being a DJ, I will keep it under control." She winked at him before smiling at Mario.

She watched as Jack slid from the booth and,nodded her head, "Alright, sounds like a plan. I will go,over a few things with Mario and be outta here for the night and back early tomorrow." She waved a good bye and focused on the DJ.

They went over what he had been working on and she made some notes for herself before calling it a night. She excused herself and headed out, climbing into the rental car. The hotel she was staying at was a modest one, she was there for work.. nkt vacation and staying that length of time she wasnt looking for anything extreme. She slipped out dress dress and into a pair of shorts and a tshirt. Pulling out her paper she had started making notes on, and her phone where she started the music, getting to work on some of the choreography... she was one of those people who could visualize perfect routines in her head. Hours later, she called it a night.

Kali functioned best on just a few hours of sleep. She was up and at it early, dressed in a sports bra tank top and sweat pants over her spandex shorts she pulled a zip up over top and grabbed her coffee and notes, heading back to the club. She had work to do.

For his part, Jack slept better that night than he had in at least two months. He even allowed himself to sleep in, rising just past 7AM as the sun started to bleed through the curtains of his two bedroom downtown apartment. Strategically, he'd picked a place only a few blocks from the old industrial district where his club sat. He wanted to be close by, to be able to check in if the situation called for such a thing to happen.

He pulled himself out of bed, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, and pulled a t-shirt over his bared chest. Strolling across to a dresser, he pulled out a pair of gym shorts, slipping them on carefully, noting the scar on his knee from an arthroscopic surgery he'd had in his 20s.

Letting out a sigh, he pulled on a pair of running shoes. He considered the gym, then thought better of it. The sun was up, the air cool as it blew in off the lake. A run outside might do him some good, he thought. Grabbing a spare key and his phone, he made his way down the elevator.

Jack was moving slow that morning-his feet didn't hit the pavement until almost 7:30, forcing him to dodge a bit of traffic as he made his way through downtown and out to the shoreline. He ran a loop, feet pounding the pavement at a reasonable, though not impressive pace. He'd put in a good four miles, working his way out west, towards the suburbs, and then back, hitting the block the on which the club sat just a little after 8AM. By habit, he passed the front first, noting that the sign-maker had not yet made much progress since hanging the rigging last week.

That would require a phone call, he noted as he jogged past. Out of habit, he made his way up the block, turned left, then back north and left again to arrive at the back alley. He slowed his paces as he noted that the back door was just slightly ajar-in it's jam, but not shut tight. Allison had a habit of doing that, mostly b/c she was always in a hurt to get back and forth. It was either her, or Mario, (which was unlikely) or perhaps Kali had already made use of the key he'd arranged to have dropped off at her hotel.

Regardless, he felt it best to check it out, in case all of those assumptions were wrong, and his club had been broken into. He tugged on the heavy steel, and slipped inside, sweat glistening from his brow.

"Hello?" He called. "Anyone here?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Kali had musoc playing thru her blu tooth speaker since she knew dj's rarely made it out of bed before noon. She had warmed up and slipped the sweats and zip off, wearing spandex shorts and tank top as she was on one of the platforms walking thru spacing as she listened to the music. She heard the voice in the background and then it registered the voice was directed towards her. She stopped mid move and laughed when she saw him, "oh hi. Sorry, I was just getting an idea of spacing... had to see what I was working with." She was glistsning with sweat as she hopped down.
"Hope you dont mind the early start..but I figured thats why you sent the key over."

It hit her then that she must look a mess, her hair piled up on top of her head, but then it was unrealistic to look put together while working... she stopped the music.

Hearing the music as he made his way down the hall, Jack realized that it was indeed Kali who'd made her way in. Two steps away from emerging from the hall, he caught himself, realizing that he was a flushed, sweaty mess. The realization caused him to feel a bit embarrassed-not for being underdressed-it wasn't unusual for him to stop into the club while out for a morning or evening jog, but for being a mess with Kali there. It actually surprised him that he'd had that feeling, and left him wondering how that was happening.

Jack managed a smile as Kali flipped off the sound.

"No, I don't mind at all. I take it Mario got you squared away with some of his mixes? That's good." He said it, but felt a pang of childish jealousy over the potential connection Kali was making with the DJ. Jack chided himself silently, reminding himself again that Kali was only there temporarily to support the opening of the club.

He continued on "So, you've got some things coming together? Is the spacing, the space, okay?" Jack wandered to the platform Kali from which Kali had descended. "I had to take the architect's word on that one, so I wasn't sure." He realized he was going on rapid fire again. He turned back to look at her, realizing that she was coated in a sheen of sweat, her tanned skin glistening, spandex clinging to her.

"Just don't wear yourself out-I need you to whip these girls into shape, starting tonight. Okay?" He smiled as he reminded her.

Kali laughed and nodded. "Yeah, Mario hooked me up... you ddfinatly found a good dj." She smiled as he went on regarding the platforms, "They will work out great. I have a few good ideas... I just had to count it all out on the actual platform."

She laughed at his comment about wearibg herself out, "Dont let the sweat fool ya, I am at the top of my game and can go for hours." She grabbed the bottle of water and took a drink, "Your girls will be ready... I stand by that."

It was then that she noticed his attire, "You just finishing a run?" She smiled, "thats normally my morning routine... I didnt do it this morning so I could be here early to walk thru things before Mario gets here."

'I can go for hours.'

Something about that comment rang in Jack's head, but he elected to let professionalism keep it there-in his head. He nodded at her assurances of the girl's readiness. It was good to know that she had it under control, but he'd have to see her work with them before he'd feel 100% confident. That wasn't Kali's fault, more the scars of his previous dance manager failing to get the job done.

He ran a hand absently through his short hair, soaking it in sweat, realizing again that he was a mess. Attempting to wipe it on his shirt, which was also soaked, only made him feel a bit sillier. The only thing he could do was answer her question.

"Yes, just put in a little under five miles. I can tell I've not been keeping up on it though." He flexed his left leg, motioning to it. "Old baseball injury acts up on me when I don't keep up with it. Therapist always gives me shit about it. He's right, of course. Well, I'm sorry you had to miss your run, though I appreciate your dedication. Once you get the girls squared away, maybe we can sneak in a couple of morning jogs. I do better when I'm with a partner."

He motioned to the door. "But, you know, let me know. I should get going, grab some breakfast, attend to a few things before tonight. I'd like to stop by and see how the girls do under your care, if that's okay?"

She laughed, nodding her head. "Of course. Its your name on the line. I would expect you to be involved." She waved goodbye and hit play once again.

She went at it a few more hoirs, until Mario arrived. She went thru her ideas with him and they both agreed it would all work out. She took a break for lunch and was waiting as the girls arrived.

Intoducing herself first then asked the girls to take their positions and show her what they had learned. She qued Mario and he started the music. She watched each girl. There were two, they had no idea... the other four, while stiff and not real confident, would be able to catch up. Next, she had them take a seat and climbed onto one of the platforms. She again qued Mario and the music started. Her body moving to the beat of the music. After a minute she stopped and looked at the girls. She pulled two girls up with her and got them set up. She explained that the goal was to look like the dance was something strait from their heads, not choreographed. Taking one of the girls hands and shaking... "You have to relax... try to stay fluid...."

Jack spent the rest of the day responding to emails related to his app development business. He mostly consulted now, having put himself in the position that he didn't have to work, only picking the projects he enjoyed.

Looking at the clock, he realized it was past dinner time. Not being much for cooking, he realized he'd consigned himself to a late dinner. He certainly wasn't interested in waiting half an hour or more for a table at any of the downtown restaurants, and, after all, it was a Friday night, which meant things would likely be worse than that. He elected that, if he were going to go to the club, he might as well do it now, and check on how Kali and Mario were doing.

He pulled on a clean, comfortable pair of grey slacks, a crisp blue dress shirt, and quickly ran fingers through his hair, pausing to pat down the few strays. Jack was lucky to still have a full head of hair, but it always kept him in the house a few minutes longer.

The spring air had cooled by the time he hit the pavement, the sun hanging low in the sky. He briskly walked the few blocks to the club, heaving the rear door open as usual. Quietly, he walked down the hall as he heard Kali putting the girls through the paces. He paused at the end of the hallway, leaning against the wall, watching silently, not wanting to interrupt the lesson.

She went thru it with each girl. She was walking thru the steps with one of the girls, repeating it a few times until she exicuted the intended more. "Good.. now try to make it look natural. Theres nothing sexy about stiff robot moves. Like I said, it has to be fluid... Dont be afraid to look stupid right now.... loosen up." She hopped down and had everyone line up and perform the move. She went down the line correcting each girl here and there. Thats when one of the girls who Kali didnt see cutting it brought up the fact that practice should have been over. Kali shook her head, "That right there is why you have so much work to do, youre more focused on the time than the moves."

Thats when the girl looked over and saw Jack. She put on a pouty face, "Jack, its after the hours of practice.. and weve been at it for hours now!"

Kali shook her head and rolled her eyes at the girls attempt to tell on Kali.

Jack watched as Kali put the girls through the paces. He had to admit, he didn't know much about dance, but she was definitely a committed professional. Pushing himself off the wall, he made his way to the middle of the room, standing in front of Kali as she kept her back to the dancers. His green eyes narrowed a bit at Meredith, the girl with the pout.

"Mer, you know full well that you're getting paid if you stay later. None of you are salaried, so don't worry about that."

He turned his gaze to Kali. "I'm sorry, Kali, this is my fault. I told the girls they were getting a new leader, but I guess I didn't make myself clear that you are the law as far as they are concerned."

He fixed his gaze back on Meredith and the girls. "Ladies, let me be clear. Kali is in charge as pertains to the dancers. She sets your routines, she sets your schedules on the platforms and cages, and, if necessary, she handles hiring and firing. Are. We. Clear?"

The girls fell silent, and Meredith looked at Kali, full of spite. It was clear she wasn't going to fall in line. Jack turned back to Kali-"Kali, they're all yours. It is getting late, so, if there's anyone you think you don't want back tomorrow, I'd suggest sending them on their way tonight."

She was glad that Jack backed her up. She nodded her head and focussd on the girls. "Ok ladies. Lets call it a night. Meridith, may I have a word with you?" She took her to the side and explained that she wasnt going to be able to catch up fast enough for the grand opening. She wished her luck and watched as she stormed out. It wasnt the highlight to her job, but it came with the territory. She looked up at Mario and waved, "Thanks Mario. I will see ya tomorrow!"

She turned and focused on Jack. "You have a good group here... mostly." She smiled, "Just gotta get them to not be robots and we will be in business."

Jack went behind the bar, drawing himself a bit of water from the tap. He had a feeling about what Kali was going to do, and he didn't want to be too close for it-she needed to have the authority to make the call herself.

He smirked a bit as Meredith stormed out. She'd been a pain in the ass from day one, and he didn't think it to be a great loss to have her out of the picture. Jack set the empty glass on the thick wooden bar top, catching himself a second later to slide a coaster under it.

Smirking at Kali, he nodded. "Well, good. I'm glad that you think so. I was a bit worried that you'd feel completely screwed by the group I handed you here."

Jack leaned across the bar, his eyes a bit heavy. He fully knew what Kali was going to say, but he figured he'd make the offer anyway. She'd put in a hell of a long day already, and she had a number of them still in front of her while she kicked the dancers into shape.

"Okay, so, you've had a long day, and its Friday. I haven't seen you eat yet today. Why don't we go grab a late dinner? I'm buying your dinner either way under our contract, so I might as well keep you company and make sure you get a decent meal for your trouble."

She laughed, "Looking after your investment huh?" She teased him. It had been quite a while since her small lunch break. She considered and then nodded, "Sure. I dont know anyone here so some company would be welcome." She smiled at him.

"I am going to have to go back to the hotel and shower first, or else I am going to empty anywhere we go." She laughed. "But I can meet you if you want.. I dont want to keep you waiting."

She couldnt help but to feel butterflies at the idea of spending a friday night with him... she forced herself to stop those thoughts.

Jack laughed at her taunt, feeling himself flush a little at her words. He let his fingers trace the rim of the glass slowly, lowering his eyes a bit. He felt a bit like a teenager for just that moment.

Lifting his head, he came back at her "Well, I've got to keep an eye on you, I don't want anyone sweeping you off your feet and taking you away before we finish the job here." He gave a laugh. "No, but really, I just know what it's like to be in a new town and not know anyone. Besides, the food at your hotel is awful."

He understood her need to shower. Frankly, she looked fine to him, but understood that she wouldn't feel comfortable until she freshened up. Nodding, he took a step out from behind the bar. "There's a place right around the corner from your hotel, over on 10th, called The Farmhouse. They do that real farm-to-table type stuff. Not real creative with the name, though. It's only a few blocks from my place, so I can walk over there and meet you. Say, an hour?"

Jack studied her, hoping that he wasn't being too forward with his offer to spend some time with her. Frankly, he could use the company himself.

She laughed as he teased her back. She appriciated his offer. "Seriously, I do appriciate it. Thats always the hardest part for me, not knowing anyone.. and you are definatly right, the hotel has awful food. Lesson learned last night." She shook her head laughing, "that sounds great. I will see ya in an hour."

She made it back to the hotel in a great mood. She was doing what she loved... but there was more to it, she was having dinner with someone. She laughed at herself, knowing she was reading way more into the situation. She showered and slipped on a pair of fitted jeans and a tshirt. Drying her hair and leaving it down.

She was out the lobby doors right on time. He was right, it was only a couple of blocks from the hotel. She found the place with no problem and stepped inside glancing around..

Jack took a detour back by his apartment on the way to the restaurant. He'd been dressed like he was at work, and wanted to get a bit more comfortable for his dinner-dinner, not a date, he reminded himself-with Kali.

Riding the elevator up to his apartment, he flipped through his phone, checking his email. He had a message from Aaron checking in on the arrangement, the message closing with the reminder to not fall for this girl. Allowing himself a chuckle, he ducked back into his apartment, quickly shedding his clothes and pulling on a pair of dark-rinsed jeans and a short sleeve linen shirt. Feeling a bit more appropriate, he made his way back outside, feeling the rush of the cool spring breeze hit him as he made his way towards the restaurant, and, subsequently, Kali's hotel.

It was after 9PM, making it easier for him to grab a two person table towards the back, where it was a bit quieter. He'd beaten Kali by about 30 minutes, based on their agreement, so he ordered a Manhattan and sipped it slowly while he waited for her to arrive.

He caught a glimpse of her as she walked in, looking shapely in her fitted casual clothes. Jack caught himself wondering if anything Kali owned didn't fit her perfectly. Shaking the thought from his head, he waved her over, standing and pulling her chair out.

"Good evening. Feeling refreshed?" He nodded at the server as she walked past, "Could the lady get a drink, please?" Jack hoped that he wasn't overstepping by assuming Kali would imbibe.

Back