What Does It Matter / What God?

FGB

Literotica Guru
Joined
Aug 25, 2013
Posts
7,331
http://truthseekersministries.org/index.php/8-general-articles/20-god-what-about-him


What About… GOD?

1: Elohim: The first and most frequently word used for God in our Bible. It occurs 2550 times in the Old Testament. It means simply, GOD. Supreme, Eternal, Almighty, Creator of the Universe, the Putter forth of Power, an “absolute, unqualified, and unlimited energy” as G. Campbell Morgan put it. Elohim is a plural form of Divinity, which encompasses the Trinity of the Godhead, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. For it was the Word of God, Jesus, that spoke the universe into existence and the Holy Spirit that expresses God’s power on the earth through believers in this day of Grace. The first and primary thing we should know about God is that he is the Creator and Sustainer of all life. We can take our rest in the knowledge that God is in Control.



2: Jehovah-”YHWH”-”Yahweh”, ”The Lord”: Second only to Elohim in its use, The name, Jehovah is sacred to the Jews, personal in nature, not to be pronounced, and is descriptive of God’s relationship to man. Elohim sees God as the Almighty, whereas Jehovah describes the eternal nature of God. From everlasting to everlasting, the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The “I AM, THAT I AM”, always in constant existence. Jehovah and Elohim are one and the same, for they are used together several times in Genesis. Elohim describes his power, and Jehovah describes his character. The name Jehovah, used with other names, then describe the various characteristics of God in how he wants to relate to man.



A: Jehovah-Sabaoth: “The Lord of Hosts”-meaning, “The Most High” of all the hosts of heaven. Not just God, but the God of all the gods, and all the hosts, or spiritual beings of the “universe of the universes”. He is, “The MAN”; The Biggest, “baddest” bully, with the biggest “baddest” stick of Power, he is Jehovah-Sabaoth. (Poor English intentional)



B: Jehovah-Jireh: “The Lord will Provide”– Showing us his constant provision. He allows all good things and every provision we have comes from him. Abraham called the place where God provided a ram as a substitute offering for Isaac, Jehovah-Jireh, thanking God for his provision and grace. We also can see the amazing gift of grace given to us, and recognize his constant provision for our needs as our God Jehovah-Jireh.



C: Jehovah-Rapha: “The Lord that Healeth”– God wants for us to be healed, and his healing aspects come to us as Jehovah-Rapha. When we trust in Jesus stripes, for by his stripes are we healed, and in faith claim that promise, which is represented by the bread aspect of Communion, Jehovah-Rapha is released to work.



D: Jehovah-Nissi: “The Lord my Banner”– This name was given to a monument erected to commemorate the Israelites victory over the Amalekites, where Aaron and Hur had to support the arms of Moses, as he held up the Staff of God, which when held high, gave the victory to Israel. He became their, “Banner”, a “Standard”, or “Ensign” to be held high, led around in front of their army. A God they could lift up high with pride, fighting ever more bravely knowing that their “Jehovah-Nissi” is the one true God who gives the Victory. Lift Him up today as your “Banner”, your “Standard”, with pride in your, “Jehovah-Nissi”, and behold what bearing your banner yields.



E: Jehovah-M’qaddishkhem: “The Lord that Sanctifieth”-probably the least known name of God, because it is not transliterated in our English versions of scripture. It’s first appearance in Exodus 31:13, was GOD’s reiteration of the command to keep the Sabbath. The Sabbath is God’s claim on the lives of man. We all should “set apart” or sanctify at least one day a week to rest from work and focus on God and his gracious blessings he bestows on us all. This is not only God’s requirement, but a blessing for us as well, for it allows us to “Recharge” our Faith batteries. Jesus went further and even stated that we should be in a “Sabbathing” state of mind at all times. If we took on, that outlook and walk, it would not matter if we kept any certain day, for all would be, “in the Father’s service”.



F: Jehovah-Shalom: “The Lord Send Peace”– Gideon first used this name for God in Judges 6:24, here you have Gideon, being approached by the “Angel of Jehovah”, who told him that his task was to free his people from their yoke. This angel not only spoke as he was “Jehovah”, but devoured Gideon’s meal as an offering to God, being cleverly disguised by Gideon as a meal to see who this stranger was. It was no other than the pre-incarnate Word of God, Jesus himself, who immediately vanished. Gideon cried out to God and was reassured by the words, “Peace be unto you, fear not, you will not die”. He immediately built an altar and called it Jehovah-Shalom. In our day, we can live with a peace that truly passes all understanding. In Christ, we can experience Jehovah-Shalom even in the midst of our worst times, and be able to persevere through them. For just as a body builder has to push himself to get results, how else can we increase our faith unless we encounter ever increasing ways to exorcise it.



G: Jehovah-Rohi: “The Lord is my Shepherd”– Just as David looked at himself as the shepherd, and thought about his responsibilities and desires towards his sheep, he then saw God just as vested in his well being. God is to us, as a shepherd is to his flock. He cares for those in the fold, and goes after those who have gone astray. He also continues until they are found, or they die in their iniquity. God rejoices, and indeed there is rejoicing in heaven, when a son or daughter returns to the fold. And, by the “Fold”, I am not talking about any particular church or even building, but when they return to their senses and “repent”, which means, “To Turn From, To”, like an about face, and they continue their walk of faith, with Jesus in their sights, and as their constant goal.



H: Jehovah-Tsidkenu: “The Lord our Righteousness”– He is our righteousness. We are not and can not be righteous in ourselves. “There is none righteous, no not one” We had to have someone come in and pay the price to redeem us, becoming righteousness for us as we “faithe”, (a new verb) in his completed work. He is our Jehovah-Tsidkenu. Definitely a “Messianic” title, pointing to the coming redeemer, or in our case, the sent redeemer. This also confirms the unity between God and Jesus.



I: Jehovah-Shammah: “The Lord is There”– Denoting the constant abiding presence of God, now and for eternity. Anytime you call, He is there. Anytime you turn to God, He turns towards you. Anytime you seek God, you will find Him. His constancy and unending presence is who we know as Jehovah-Shammah.



3: Adonai: “Lord”- This name of God, probably best known to the Jews because they often submitted it for Jehovah, which they deemed too ”Holy” to speak or use. This name denotes authority, but also a loving relationship is involved. The plural version, “Adonai” is only used of God, but the singular version, “Adon”, is used of men, but only in a servant-master type connotation. Not only do we use this word, as we are submitting to his authority, but it is our privilege, even our duty to regard Him as “My Lord and my God”.



4: Several descriptive titles describing God’s might and power especially relating to God’s protection of his chosen people. These can be grouped together.


A: Rock: “Tsur” - Denoting God’s strength and his unchangeableness. Jesus is our Rock.

B: Fortress: “Metsudah” - a military metaphor describing God’s likeness to a mountain “Stronghold”, a place of refuge. A place for us to run to for safety.

C: Shield: “Magen”, Buckler: “Tsinnah”, and Sword: “Chereb” - Shield and Buckler, both a small and large shield, denotes God’s complete protection for those who trust in Him, And the Sword representing God’s ready defense of His people. New testament believers, take on this “Whole Body of Armor”, and walk daily in it by using our “Sword of Faith”, which is the Word of God.

D: Mighty One: “Abhir, Gibbor” - Describing God’s abiding strength, might, and everlasting desire to be that to His people. Not just His “Omnipotence”, but his might on behalf of his people.

E: Strength: “Netsach” - Eminence and Duration. This word denotes God’s changelessness. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He can not and will not change his mind. It may sometimes appear, as if He did, but it is man who changes, not God.

F: Jealous: “Kanna” - Given as a command for Israel to worship one God, and only Him. The original meaning however changes somewhat the sinister meaning that “jealous” has come to mean. The word “Zealous”, is more correct in it’s meaning. It signifies God’s righteous “Zeal” and impressed on the people that they were to call Him and only Him as their God.

G: El-Elohe-Israel: “God is the God of Israel” - A wonderful proclamation by Jacob/Israel declaring his God to be the one true God. Even the Muslims can’t deny that the God of Israel, is the same God they worship. They just put their trust in the wrong man, who never claimed divinity upon himself as Jesus the Christ did. Muhammad only claimed visions from Allah, who is the same God as the God of Abraham. As we follow in Israel’s footsteps and proclaim El-Elohe-Israel as our God, ourselves as men and women of God, giving our lives to his service, we then proclaim to the world El-Elohe-Israel as Jacob did and was blessed for it.

H: El-Bethel: God commanded Jacob to return to Bethel, where he first met God, and upon returning Jacob realized even deeper the understanding that his God was God, and that to those who seek God are aware of His presence, and indeed the very wilderness becomes the “House of God”, their refuge and sanctuary. No matter where we are in our walk, even lost and backslidden, we can always return to El-Bethel, our “House of God” and find that place of safety and security in the midst of life’s turmoil.



5: El Shaddai—”God Almighty”: Another composite name describing one of many attributes of God, like the facets on a diamond, God’s revealing himself through Elohim and Jehovah followed by words describing one particular aspect of His character. Translated “God Almighty”, El Shaddai is in reality a much more impressive and tender word. We know that Elohim or El, means “The Mighty One”. So what then does “Shaddai” mean? This very old word, so old in fact that it’s meaning is obscure. Hebrew scholars call it “Strong or Mighty”, which was adopted by the translators rendering the word, God Almighty. Other speculations link it to the Greek word, “Shadad”, “To Devastate”, or the Akkadian word, “Shadu”, “He of the Mountain”. These definitions have no merit though, and the simplest most appropriate view would be to use the base root word, ”Shad” which simply means a woman’s breast. Hence the translation would be “The Almighty-Breasted One”. Here God is seen as a mother providing sustenance to her children. He is our all-sufficient one, the one we can run to for safety, comfort and nourishment. So together the words not only indicate God’s might and power, but also his loving tenderness. His care and sustenance is readily available to all his children at their request.



6: El-Elyon: “The Most High God” - Practically synonymous with El-Shaddai, but whereas as El-Shaddai is quite different than, “God Almighty”, El-Elyon, is rightly translated, for it deems God as the “High Over All”. Just as Psalm 91, links El-Shaddai to El-Elyon, they are one and the same God. To the child of God, Jesus is our El-Elyon, whom we can trust, and know that He is able to work together all things for our good, whether we can immediately see the results or not.



7: El-Olam: “The Everlasting God” - While this translation conveys the eternal nature of God, the Hebrew word contains much more than one word can describe. It is translated several ways in the Old Testament, such as; “everlasting”, “evermore”, “old”, “old time”, “ancient time”, “beginning of the world”, “continuance”, and most frequently, “ever”. God is from everlasting to everlasting. God foreknew us “In Christ”, “Before the Foundations of the World”. We were called out, as children of God before the world existed. Our El-Olam, called us out, and claimed us as his own before He created the universe.



8: “El-Roi”: “Thou God Seest Me” - Literally, “A God of Seeing”, denoting not only his ability to see us, in a deep manner, somewhat like on the movie “Avatar’s”, there was a sense of “I see you”, seeing not just visually but connecting with them spiritually, but also showing us that God allows ways for us to see Him in return. Even in the little things of life, we can see and know God’s Workings. Seek him as El-Roi, and live in the unity and in the unilateral knowing, which is brought to the table by Him.



9: “Abba”: “Father” - Our most precious name for God, for it wasn’t until Jesus’ incarnation, that the meaning to us became clear. He is our Father, someone who when we ask for bread, would certainly give us bread, not a serpent. Jesus himself taught us to pray to “Our Father..” When we are “Born Again” or “Born of the Spirit”, our second birth, we are then seen by God as he sees His son, Jesus. That is why we can be still in this sinful body of death, yet when God looks at us he sees “Jesus”. He puts on the, ”Spectacles of Christ”, as Dr. Scott put it, and sees us already “In Christ” and sinless. We have, dwelling in us, the earnest of our inheritance in the person of the Holy Spirit. Yes the old nature will always be with us in this life, but we have the assurance that our father will bring us to completion. Our “Abba’s” utmost desire, is that we overcome this world, and ready ourselves for our future place with Him throughout eternity.
*****************************************************************
*****************************************************************


The name given to Jesus at his birth, “Immanuel”, “God with us”, declares his Deity, therefore all the names for God actually belong to Him. He has many names spoken of him prophetically, that are specific to Him as the Messiah or the Christ. Lets take a look then, at the Names and Titles of our Lord Jesus Christ, given to him prophetically in the Old Testament.



1: “Shiloh”: “He whose right it is” - Worthy is the Lamb, the only one worthy to open the seal. The only one capable, in fact the only one, whose right it was, because he came from the line of Judah. It is Jesus alone, who had the right to come to earth to sacrifice himself, as an atonement for the sins of the whole earth, past, present, and future.



2: Prophet and Priest: Moses further revealed his “messianic type”, by becoming both Prophet and Priest to the Israelites. Jesus dual role of Prophet and Priest, is reflected in Moses testimony that God would “raise up unto thee, a prophet... like unto me..”Deut. 18:15-19. He also performed priestly tasks, Exod. 24:3-8.



3: The Branch: “Tsemach”, literally a “shoot or sprout”, a tender twig. Isaiah 4:2 calls him the “Branch of Jehovah”, one called not only in the service of Jehovah, but being “of that branch”, or Jehovah himself. Isaiah 11:1 Pulls in the Davidic promises, saying “ a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots”. Jesus is prophesied several times as the “Branch”, and he has fulfilled them all. He is that branch of God’s Grace, grafted onto this earthly existence of humanity, sent to redeem all those of this earth, that His Father preordained would be saved. He prayed, “I in Thee, and they in Me...”



4: Immanuel: “God With Us” - Isaiah 7:14; This title proclaims his Deity as the incarnate Son of God, born of a virgin that was impregnated by God Himself. He was the “Only Begotten Son”, God incarnate, taking on human flesh. Although many men were and are named Immanuel and Jesus, mainly as a testimony to God, it was not until the Christ Himself came, born of a woman, yet very God indeed, that this prophecy was fulfilled.



5: Wonderful Counsellor: Just as Jesus is wonderful in who He is, what he accomplished, and his unknowable majesty, He is also the great counselor, Himself needing none. He imparts His counsel to those who seek it, and he is the Fount of all Wisdom and Knowledge.



6: The Mighty God: “El Gibbor” He who assumes the frailty of humanity, yet is still Very much God. This Jesus, with the might of Elohim, yet the simple body of a man, came to earth and submitted to the trial and crucifixion, when at any instant, he could have called in “Twelve Legions of Angels”, but he didn’t. A legion is equal to 6,000, so 12 legions would be 72,000 angels on call at any moment. But this Jesus allowed men, to humiliate, torture, and kill himself, for it was in that way, and that way alone, that the price had be paid.



7: The Everlasting Father: Literally, “The Father of Eternity”, another title exclaiming the Deity of the Christ, of his being the “Father” of all creation, as He spoke these worlds into existence.



8: The Prince of Peace: Israel looked forward to their “Messiah”, that would bring them victory over their enemies, hence giving them peace. This is now a true desire of every believer. We can rest now in that “Peace that passes all understanding”, He is our Peace now, but this title will find it’s final fulfillment only when Jesus returns, and reigns as King of Kings, and Lord of Lords. Only then will he truly be that “Prince of Peace”, and then this world will finally find that “Peace” that always seems to evade us.



9: Servant of Jehovah: Isa. 42:1; Jesus became that “Suffering Servant”, submitting to being born into a body of sin, yet fulfilling His Father’s every command. He had to humble himself, leaving his glory, his co-equal, GOD, and took upon himself the form of a servant. But we must also be reminded that just as he came as a “Babe in a Manger”, he will come again in, “All His Glory and Splendor”, and all who see it on earth will fall on their faces for fear.



10: Leader and Commander of His People: The Captain of our Salvation, Heb. 4:2; He is the Blessed Hope of all who love His appearing. The “Desire of the Nations”. He is our Great Captain, the Head of the Church, and He and He alone will we serve. “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord”



Jesus...the name above every name, that at the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess, that Jesus Christ is Lord.




JESUS: the Greek name for the Hebrew name Joshua, a contraction of the word Jehoshua, meaning, “Jehovah is Salvation”. Given to Mary before the birth of Jesus by Gabriel the Archangel. This name declares God’s redeeming intent towards fallen men. This was Jesus personal name, not a title, and was the name he was known as, by the people of his day.



CHRIST: This is then the Title of our Lord. He is the Christ, the “Messiah” who was to come. The “Anointed One” This Title was proclaimed upon Jesus, he never openly claimed this title himself, except finally at His trial, for which he was promptly crucified. There were, though, several hints given to seekers during His ministry, that confirmed His role as Messiah.



LORD: “Kurios” in Greek. This word is often used of men, such as a slave Master, or as a title such as, “Sir”. This took on more than mere respect in the case of our Lord, for when used in the case of our Lord Jesus Christ, all the weight of Deity is encompassed within it’s meaning. Luke 2:11 has, “unto you is born...Christ the Lord” and Johns proclamation that the nations, “Prepare ye the way of the Lord”, both denote the Deity, Jehovah.



SON OF MAN: This title is a “Messianic” Title, known by the Jews. Jesus referred to himself by this term, more than any. He wanted to direct their attention to the fulfillment of this prophesy. Also interesting is the fact that Mark refers to Jesus as the “Son of Man”, and he was sent primarily to the Gentiles, who would not know the significance of that Title. This confirms the truth of what the disciples were teaching, for if you are perpetrating a lie, then when speaking to Gentiles, call him the Son of God, not the Son of Man. It’s reference is to Daniel 7, in which Daniel sees the kingdoms of the earth, then the “Son of Man” coming on clouds of Glory. This prophesy has yet to be completely fulfilled. When God proclaims Jesus, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and gives Him all the kingdoms of the earth.



SON OF GOD: This, also a claim of Deity, could also be worded, “God the Son”. It refers to the eternal, co-existence with and the equality of power with God. Jesus, the God-Man, the only begotten of the Father, is literally the “out-raying” of God onto this physical realm.



Ways in which the people addressed Jesus:



1: RABBI: Translated “Master”, “Lord”, or “Teacher” in the Gospels. Rabbi comes from the Aramaic meaning, “My Great One”. Jesus was addressed as “Rabbi” by His disciples, Nicodemus, and the people. He accepted this title but warned that we should not. Matt. 23:7-12, “..for one is your teacher, even Christ”. We should not follow any man, for all humans are fallible. Trust in your Holy Spirit, and seek the truth though the Godhead. Yes, learn from others, but follow Christ and Him alone, allowing the Holy Spirit to “Guide you unto all truth”.

2: RABBONI: Intensified version of Rabbi. Adds the personal note, “My Master”, “My Lord”

3: TEACHER: “Didaskalos” Jesus is not just a teacher, but “The Teacher”. He taught as someone having authority, as one having an inside scoop, the “Fount of all wisdom and truth”.

4: GUIDE: “Kathegetes”, Synonymous with Teacher, but carries the further notion of “Guide”, or “Mentor”

5: MASTER: There are at least six words translated, “Master”. Three are correctly addressed above, whereas they are more rightly translated, “Teacher”.


There are three Greek words, correctly translated “Master”, with each of them having a somewhat deeper meaning than our English translation.



A: “Epistates” - Strong term used in Luke meaning, “chief”, “commander”, “leader”, “overseer”

B: “Oikodespotes” - Meaning literally “Ruler of the House”

C: “Despotes” - Meaning simply, “Ruler”, denoting a slave master. As followers of Jesus Christ, we gladly become his, “Bondservants”, not by force, but by desire, we gladly accept the Ruler-ship of Christ.



Jesus’ Titles, as the Messiah of the Jews:



The Jews expected a deliverer, a righteous ruler that would overthrow all the enemies of the Jews, and especially their current oppressor Rome. This is why they didn’t recognize Jesus as their Messiah. They didn’t realize, that there were many other prophesies that pointed to a “Suffering Savior”. Yes, Jesus will fulfill his role as the Righteous Ruler, Full of Power, but apparently we still have some work to do, before that ball gets rolling.



A: “He that should come”: There was an air of expectancy by the Jews regarding their Messiah. They longed for and desired His appearing, fully expecting that He would come, WHICH HE DID, they were just blind to the greater good Jesus would do for the world.

B: “The Sent One”: Praying to God Jesus called himself, “..Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent..” He is the sent one, the part of the Godhead, set apart, in that He would take upon himself the physical, shedding the spiritual, so that we in the physical, can take on that spiritual, and be reunited with our God. He was sent to bring us home.

C: “Son of Abraham”: Matthew, and Luke declares Jesus as the “Son of Abraham”. His bloodline was traced back to the “Father of the Faithful. Our Lord was an Israelite, a fact we owe the Jews dearly for.

D: “Son of David”: Jesus, of the line of David, fulfilling yet another Messianic prophesy. This title was most beloved by the Jews for it brought back the feeling of national pride, as when they were ruled by David, and Solomon. One day they will see He “whom they have pierced”, recognize His true identity, and see their Messiah.

E: “The Prophet”: Stated by Moses, God would raise up a prophet like unto himself, John then told his followers that the, “ONE”, heralded would be that “Prophet”. He heralded Jesus as that fulfillment.

F: “King”: The Jews expected their Messiah to be their, “King”. A national king, but they knew not the full implications that Jesus fulfilled becoming the King of Kings, and Lord of Lords.

G: “Judge”: Signifying “Universal Sovereignty”. Again their expectation of a national Judge pales in comparison to Jesus fulfillment as, the Judge of All, for we all have to appear before the “Judgment Seat of Christ”.



Jesus Title’s as Saviour:



A: “Saviour”: Jesus is the Saviour, who would “Save us from our sins”, which results in our being saved from the “Wages of Sin”, which is Death itself. There is no longer a need to fear death for those who are, “In Christ”, for as soon as we close our eyes in this realm, we open them up in Heaven with the Lord.

B: “The Lamb of God”: This term takes you back to the symbolism of the Sacrifices that Israel had to keep giving to cover their, “Sins”. Jesus is that perfect sacrifice, any future sacrifices are negated, for the last sacrifice needed for the sins of the whole world, past, present, and future, are put under the Blood of the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ.

C: “Propitiation”: “Expiation”; Jesus is our “Mercy Seat”, which allows for us to draw near unto God. The “Law”, kept us separated from God, Jesus sacrifice brings us back. The Cleansing, Forgiveness, and “Covering”, of our sins are all dealt with in the “Propitiation”.

D: “The Way, the Truth, and the Life”: Jesus is the only, “Way”, back to the Father. In Jesus we find all, “Truth”, and through faith in His completed work we truly find that, “Life”, the eternal coexistence with the Godhead.

E: “The Last Adam”: As the first Adam brought separation from God, and death to this world, so the Last Adam brings eternal life and reunion with the Godhead. In Adam, we are born into this earthly body of death, but, “In Christ”, we then become a new creation, set apart, and consecrated unto God.

F: “The Resurrection and the Life”: Through Jesus we find that Resurrection unto Life eternal united with God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Because Jesus came out of that tomb, (if you don’t believe that, read my Resurrection letter), we know then that our Salvation, and indeed our Resurrection is sure.

G: “The Author (or Prince) of Life”, and “Author of Salvation”: Jesus is that author, prince, or captain, of our salvation. The Alpha and Omega, beginning and end, and when Jesus starts something, He intends to finish it. He will see to it, that all those “In Christ”, make it to their completion. He will help us finish the race.


Jesus’ Titles as the Christ of God:



A: “The WORD”: Jesus is the Word of God, the Entity of the Trinity that spoke the universe into existence. The Entity through whom God is shown unto man. He is the revealer or the revelation of the Godhead.

B: “The Beloved”: Used only once, this title shows us the Love of the Father for the Son. Just like when GOD says, “This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased..”

C: “The Chosen of God”: This title, used once in English, regarding Jesus on the Cross, “If he be the Chosen one of God, let him free himself..” Used in the Greek about Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration, “This is my son, my chosen..” Jesus was chosen, as the only one able to perform the task of redeeming mankind.

D: “The Holy One”: “Consecrated, Set Apart”; Jesus was set apart and chosen for the mission God needed to fulfill. He alone, could be the one that would fulfill God’s laws, and redeem man. He was much more than a “Saint”, which is what we are, “In Christ”, we are set apart from others, He is “The Saint”, “The Set Apart One”, The Holy One of God.

E: “The Righteous One”: He is the Righteousness of God. We are made righteous only when we are, “In Christ”. For there is no man that is righteous, “No Not One”, but Jesus is, and He fulfilled God’s requirements for us, to provide for us a path back to God.

F: “The Image of God”: This Title conveys the Deity that is Jesus Christ. HE is the visible image of the Invisible God, but not only that He is actually made in GOD’s likeness as well. Much deeper and complete than just God’s Image. My son may look like me, but isn’t necessarily “Like” me. Jesus is both the image and likeness of God the Father.

H: “The Effulgence of the Divine Glory”: Paul in Hebrews, expresses in this title, Jesus’ “out-raying” of God’s Glory. The Honor, Power, and Glory, that is God’s, in which Jesus resided before his incarnation, He now exudes in his resurrected self.

I: “The Light”: Just as the above term shows Jesus Glory as from the Godhead, this term relates His Light that shines into the hearts of man. His relationship with us. His light will light our path and guide us into all truth.

J: “The Lord of Glory”: This Lord of Glory, was who Israel had crucified. Even while hanging out with the publicans and sinners, and creating a quality wine, “alcoholic indeed”, to keep the “secular” party going, this Jesus, was being the outward expression of God the Father to mankind. Jesus is the “Lord of Glory”

K: “The Glory”: James, the brother of Jesus, who never publicly followed Jesus until after the Resurrection, in this term finally states Jesus as the “Shekinah”- the Glory, indicating Jesus being the Out-raying of Jehovah, God in Flesh.

L: “Only Begotten”: Declaring the truth that Jesus is the only one. There are no other true “Sons of God”, although we all are, in a small sense of the word, but Jesus is God’s only Son, who will inherit all things, and God gave up His only Son, knowing that the world would kill him, but He did it for a Greater Purpose.

M: “The Firstborn”: Jesus became the “Firstborn” through the resurrection. He was the only begotten, and became the firstborn when He shed the “Physical” to attain the “Spiritual”, taking back that Glory that He had before.

N: “The Heir of All Things”: Jesus Christ, being God’s only begotten son, inherits all things. There is no other creation of God that comes close to the, “Stature”, or “Status”, than does the Christ of God. The only thing surpassing his Honor and Glory, is His Grace, for He has now made us to be, “Heirs of God, and Joint Heirs of Christ”. Praise be to the King of Glory, my Lord Jesus Christ, heir of “All Things”.



Jesus’ Titles as the Head of the Church:



A: “The Bridegroom”: Steeped in the Old Testament traditions of the husband and wife, this title bestowed on Jesus by John the Baptist, and claimed by Christ Himself, is rich in it’s implication about the Lord and His Church. Jehovah, having Israel as His “Wife”, yet having to give her a “divorce” for her iniquity, is but a mere shadow, pointing to the substance of Our Bridegroom. Jesus and His Bride, the true church is comprised of all the true believers of Jesus the Christ.

B: “The Shepherd”: Paralleled by David, Jesus becomes to us the Great Shepherd. Our faithful and true protector, willing to die for his flock.

C: “The Door of the Sheep”: Jesus is that door, no one cometh to the Father, but through Him. There is but one path back to God, in this day and age, and that is through the Shed Blood of Jesus Christ, the Lord of All.

D: “Mediator”: There is but One Mediator between God and Man, and that is in the person of Jesus Christ. He and He alone can bring us back to the table of God’s Grace and Peace, meaning (cessation of against-ness) God ceases to be against us through His Son.

E: “Advocate”: Jesus is our great Advocate. He pleads our cause before God.

F: “High Priest”: Jesus is the High Priest in the order of Melchizedek. He and He alone can bring the adequate sacrifice into the Holy of Holies to atone for the Sins of the World.

G: “The Stone”: Jesus is that stone. This stone represents judgment not only on Israel but the whole earth. He is that stone cut out without hands, but He is also that “Chief Cornerstone” that the builders rejected. (read my Great Pyramid letter) The only true “Chief Cornerstone” is the peak of a pyramid, for this stone touches all four sides of the structure.

H: “The True Vine”: Jesus is that true vine, as we become “Born Again” we are incorporated into the Body of Christ, and being “Hooked In” to the true vine, we then have all the power of the Godhead available to us for our use.

I: “Head of the Body”: He is the Head of the Church, for we are the members of His Body, He being the Head, and all parts are “Fitly Framed” together, all have equal importance and value to the Body. Jesus, though ,is the Head, and as such is in charge or is, “pulling the strings”, so to speak.

J: “The Living Bread”: He is that “Living Bread” to the believer, and when we partake at His table, we will never hunger or thirst, not regarding the physical, but of the spiritual, which is far greater importance than our meager needs of sustenance.



Jesus’ Apocalyptic Titles:



A: “Faithful Witness”: He came to reveal the Father unto us. Matt. 11:27; and in Revelation John describes Jesus, coming from the Father to make Him known to us.

B: “First Begotten of the Dead”: There may have been others who were raised from the dead, but none were raised unto, “Life Eternal”, until Jesus was.

C: “Prince of the Kings of the Earth”: Not only will Jesus completely fulfill this title in the future, but even now He is “Lord of All”.

D: “Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last”: In the Greek the first and last letters were sometimes used to express the “Entirety” of a thing. Jesus is not only eternal, but He is our “All in All”, our all sufficient Lord.

E: “Son of Man”: Clearly a Jewish Messianic term, for they looked forward to their Messiah, but in Revelation, John clearly reveals this King of Glory, coming on the clouds of Heaven, as being the one and only Lord Jesus Christ.

F: “He which hath the sharp sword with two edges”: Deeming Jesus rightful position as the Judge, but also with “Two Edges”, indicates both, judgment and redeeming for some, but also judgment and condemnation for others.

G: “He that hath the Seven Spirits of God”: Often misunderstood, this is a Highly Symbolic reference to the totality of the attributes of the Spirit in all it’s perfection. Seven is always symbolic of perfection.

H: “Holy”: This attribute can only be said of God, or any one of the three persons of the Godhead.

I: “True”: Jesus is the Truth. He is Faithful and true and able to see us to our goal. Trust in that truth, and seek truth always, no matter whose toes you step on.

J: “He that hath the Key of David”: Reference to Isaiah 22:22, clearly indicating that Jesus alone has the authority, he alone opens doors and shuts doors, and through Him alone are men admitted into Heaven.

K: “The Amen”: He has the Last word, the last say.

L: “The Beginning of the Creation of God”: Better translated the “Principal or Source of Creation”. Clearly showing Jesus Deity, and Creative Power.

M: “The Lion of the Tribe of Judah, the Root of David”: Two more clear Messianic titles, beloved by the Jews. Not only declaring Jesus Kingship, but His Deity.

N: “Lamb”: He is that “Lamb of God” worthy to open the seals. This term denotes not just a “Lamb”, but a “Little Lamb”, clearly an endearing metaphor. But not only that, this Lamb becomes a Lamb with seven horns, denoting absolute authority and power.

O: “King of Kings and Lord of Lords”: This title proclaims Jesus final exaltation to His Throne, where every knee will bow and tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Not just an earthly Lordship, but a universal, total, everlasting Kingship that will never end.

P: “The Word of God”: Jesus is the Word of God, the outward expression of the Invisible God. To Jesus, words are not just words, they are action. When He speaks, things happen. His words are like the two edged sword, cutting to the quick, to and fro. He spoke the universe into existence, and if you have read this far, He is speaking to you right now, wooing you.

Q: “The Bright and Morning Star”: To all those, “In Christ”, he is our “Bright and Morning Star”. We eagerly await His appearing, as men look for the “Morning Star”. Jesus ushered in this Age of Grace, and will see it to it’s fulfillment.
*****************************************************************
*****************************************************************
****************************************************************

The Names and Titles of The HOLY SPIRIT:


1: The Spirit of Christ: Rom. 8:9; This selfsame “Spirit of God”, to believers becomes the “Spirit of Christ”. Christ in you the Hope of Glory. “I in them, and they in me”

2: The Spirit of Jesus: Phil. 1:9; Stating again this same Spirit dwells in Jesus, as it does us. GOD the Father is the source of all grace, the Son is the channel through which the Agent, in the person of the Holy Spirit, works on earth. (IVF Commentary) However this Spirit, is not just an agent, this would make him subordinate, which He is not. The Holy Spirit is...

3: The Lord the Spirit: 2 Cor. 3:18; Or the “Spirit of the Lord”; This term gives unto the Holy Spirit the same designation as Jehovah, which describes also the Father and the Son. Making the Holy Spirit a co-equal with God the Father and God the Son, the “Godhead”.

4: The Eternal Spirit: Heb. 9:14; This text indicates that the Spirit in Christ, is eternal, and is the source of His Power.

5: The Seven Spirits of God: Rev.1:4; 3:1: This confusing text, should not be. As seen above, this only shows the complete and perfect aspects of the Holy Spirit. It in no way detracts the importance and significance of the third person of the Godhead, the Holy Spirit.

6: One Spirit: Eph. 4:4; This “One Spirit” indicates to us the fact that there is only one spirit, the same one that came from God, descended on Jesus at His baptism, and that dwells in the hearts of every believer.

7: The Holy Spirit: Matt. 1:18; 28:19; His common name, used by the New Testament writers as well as the Church since it’s inception. This denotes His Deity, for only God is truly Holy. We are, though, admonished to “Be ye Holy”. We should all, including myself, consecrate our lives, set them apart from all the other riff raff of the world, and be Holy unto God.

8: The Spirit of Holiness: Rom. 1:4; When believers are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, he instills in us the need to be “Separate”, to dedicate our lives to God, and as we walk in faith, his promise is that he would, “Write His Law on our Hearts”. Walking in faith will change you, and you will find yourself following our great example, Jesus Christ, and being imitators of Jesus, we can walk in Holiness.

9: The Spirit of Wisdom: Eph. 1:17; Jesus, the source of all wisdom, now imparts wisdom to us through the Holy Spirit. He guides us into all truth, and as we go from faith to faith, the Wisdom of God, grows in our hearts.

10: The Spirit of Truth: John 14:17; 16:13: The Holy Spirit, reveals to us all scripture and brings to our remembrance the things that Jesus said. He, the Holy Spirit, imparts unto believers not only the truth of Christ, but the character, yea the very life of Christ itself.

11: The Spirit of Faith: 2 Cor. 4:13; The one thing that God demands of us. The Holy Spirit, imparts unto us faith, and He will lead us “From faith to faith”, but we must continue walking in a life of faith, for without it, it is impossible to please God. Please bear in mind that Faith, “Pistis”, is a verb not a noun. It is not just belief, for Satan believes, and guess where he gets to spend eternity. It is action, it is that fingernail grip on a promise of God, and if you die trying, you are going to claim that promise and see it completed. Faith, the Substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not yet seen”. Walk in faith, and watch God work.

12: The Spirit of Grace: Heb. 10:29; Grace, unmerited favor. We don’t deserve it, we can’t earn it, no need to boast, yet the Holy Spirit pours out for us, God’s grace, available to all God’s children...

13: The Spirit of Adoption: Rom. 8:15; Being Born Again, we become the Adopted sons of God, this Spirit of Adoption, leads us into that relationship with the Godhead.

14: The Spirit of Your Father: Matt. 10:20; Relating to that same Spirit that is in the Father, now indwells all believers.

15: The Spirit of Life: Rom. 8:2; Rev. 11:11; The Holy Ghost, here called the Spirit of Life, is in fact just that. He is life eternal, and when someone gets born again, eternity begins in that person. Believers then flow out this “Spirit of Life”, from their belly or “inner man” rivers of “living water”, so that other believers may see, understand, believe, and swim in it.

16: The Comforter: John 14:16; 15:26; “Paraclete” means literally “Advocate” or “one called alongside to help. He is ever present, ever our advocate, expressing prayers to the Father on our behalf, and ever guiding us to dwell in that constant abiding “Peace” that passes all understanding.

Patrick Robinson, Minister

Truth Seekers Ministries

9/26/2011

http://truthseekersministries.org/
 
And this post was necessary why?

It don't matter what you believe, nobody else is going to agree with it, flamefests ensue, whiners abound, "my God is better than your god", "you're a godless heathen", . . . :rolleyes:

The worst part of all of that is, people you once highly respected, you learn what absolute fucking idiots they are. Why go there? Why ruin perfectly good friendships? Why can't we all just be ignernt of the individual's beliefs and have a good time with one another? :confused::cool::cool:
 
Animals like my company. They understand what they hear about as much as NIGHT L gets yet see me for what I am whereas NIGHT L remains stupid for all intents and purposes.

People hate God because God is the standard and the glue that holds all that is together.
 
Are you a cream and jam for your scones person unclejimbles or just a knob of butter?
 
FGB - I'm all up for a discussion on comparative religion; but you really didn't pose a question or opinion of your own. It's essentially the worst kind of spam because nobody is supposed to say that God is spam..
I'm not sure where you want to go with this. I'm not sure you even want this to go anywhere. what's up?

I will say that I've not met many people who hate God. I've met people who either believe in god or don't. I've met people who don't "get" people who "get" God. Hate? I think I've just met people who like to hate and God is merely included on the list. You could have posted a list of puppy characteristics and somebody would hate it.. doesn't make it a bad list.

but still.. where would you like to take this?
 
The worst part of all of that is, people you once highly respected, you learn what absolute fucking idiots they are.
Good thing I never respected the OP. :cool:

Also, tl;dr.

Finally, I don't give a fuck what "god" you worship as long as you keep your beliefs out of our secular government.
 
Good thing I never respected the OP. :cool:

Also, tl;dr.

Finally, I don't give a fuck what "god" you worship as long as you keep your beliefs out of our secular government.

My comment wasn't directed at the OP, nor was it a declaration of my position regarding the subject. I do completely agree with not giving a fuck what "god" one believes in, it doesn't matter, just don't expect me to sit here quietly while said person tries to shove their beliefs down my throat or teach them to my kids. Everyone in this country (USA ) has the same rights to freedom of speech and freedom of religion, one also has the right to remain silent, exercise all three and everyone will get along just fine.
 
The bible is mythology and the christian god is no more real than Zeus or any other 'mythological figure"

People laugh at "Pandora's box" evil was unleashed upon the world by a woman opening a box she was told not to

ha-ha! Silly Greeks.

Sin was unleashed upon the word when Eve got Adam to eat an apple that was forbidden

Yes, amen preach it brother!

Christians are idiots who have the nerve to say other religions are wrong.

Please.
 
Over the years people around here repeatedly asked me which God I was talking about...

Also,I knew it would aggravate the dickens out of some folks.
 
I assure you this is NOT even close to the longest post ever made at Lit.

(I did not expect ANY response because I am not asking any Questions)
 
Last edited:
I assure you this is NOT even close to the longest post ever made at Lit.

(I did not expect ANY response because I am not asking any Questions)

So why the cut'n'paste? Why not just offer the link?

I suppose you could always try this one
http://www.planetpdf.com/planetpdf/pdfs/free_ebooks/War_and_Peace_NT.pdf
all 2882 pages of it if it is just plagiarised grandstanding you seek. I doubt that though. Beyond your
Over the years people around here repeatedly asked me which God I was talking about...

Also,I knew it would aggravate the dickens out of some folks.
what benefit did you perceive your pasting 7,295 words of another author would have for others here? Just curious.

As for "people around here repeatedly asked me which God I was talking about...", well I have never asked you once. Is there some form of circular queue to join or avoid?
 
So why the cut'n'paste? Why not just offer the link?

I suppose you could always try this one
http://www.planetpdf.com/planetpdf/pdfs/free_ebooks/War_and_Peace_NT.pdf
all 2882 pages of it if it is just plagiarised grandstanding you seek. I doubt that though. Beyond your what benefit did you perceive your pasting 7,295 words of another author would have for others here? Just curious.

As for "people around here repeatedly asked me which God I was talking about...", well I have never asked you once. Is there some form of circular queue to join or avoid?

Actually I was going to add it to my reference Thread but I could not find it and was tired of looking.

Why all the interest?
 
In most fora, lengthy cut-paste-posts are considered waste of electrons.
And copy-preach-posts are even "better".

But yes: tl, dr.

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage long ago, and have been happy ever since.
 
Good thing that you didn't copy-past it.

Now there is a nice link, and anyone interested, can go there.
:)
 
Just FYI:

"Elohim" is a plural noun in Hebrew, and should properly be translated as "gods". The singular is "El".

"Jehovah" is a bastardization of the Hebrew letters for the proper name of God (like "Bill" or "Jennifer") with the Masoretic vowel-pointing for "Adonai" ("lord") added. It was intended as a reminder to the orthodox to substitute the one for the other, as the name of God may not be spoken. (Although it evidently can be written, no problem.) It was never meant to be transliterated letter for letter.

I stopped reading after the first two lines. If the rest of this polemic is as full of nonsense as those were, then I have no interest.
 
So many godz, so little time.

Choosing the right god(z) to worship is so confusing. I skip all that by carving my own, a couple of new ones every morning. That way, I retain control. I know exactly where they came from and where they're going. When I tire of them I build a little cleansing fire.

You should be prepared to shitcan your god(z) when they no longer do you any good. If Allah or {YHWH} or Vishnu ain't doing it for you, move on, hey?
 
Back
Top