Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
[off topic]
Since when has a Rugby player ever been regarded as 'innocent' ?
PS. I love watching the Haka.
[on topic]

I really don't know to what you refer. We women were all just good friends ;).
I love the Haka too. Although I'm a Scotland supporter myself.

xxx

:rose:
 
Oops quick quick get back on topic

Haka - war dance performed by Maori before going into battle and now by the New Zealand rugby team (some controversy as current Haka is of only that of one tribe and other tribes bit annoyed by having to do other tribe's war dance, also other national teams occasionally pretend to complain that it gives the All Blacks (NZ team) an unfair advantage. This allowing for a good fight on tv before the match in which team making complaint gets psychological advantage.)

(Actually very little room for psychology on a rugby pitch - hand in the face usually works a lot better!)

:rose:
 
Really darling! I am just an innocent rugby player . . .
:rose:

I'm sorry. I had not thought about Rugby for Girls.
How very remiss of me, especially in these gender-neutral times of sexual equality and all that.

I really must find that metro-sexual school course. . .
 
Oh and even better seldom-used word

Bag-snatching

Nefarious practice occasionally done to opposition rugby team while scrumming down (lot of grown men all crouch down in the mud and hang onto each other then push each other around over a ball. No, no, just one ball - not their own balls!)

Not possible for women rugby players to do bag-snatching. (Get the picture?)

:nana:
 
Really darling! I am just an innocent rugby player. I have no idea what you mean when you say someone's bladder capacity might influence the length of anything or their innings and outings.
Oh dear me, excuse me I must go and lie down quietly for a moment! I had no idea cricket would rouse the passions in such a manner. ;)

:rose:

There are two sorts of village cricket. Most village cricket is a social event at which the cricket is the excuse, and village cricket competitions where the cricket is fiercely fought (and almost any foul play is permissible if the umpire is distracted (or is a relative)).

Social cricket is an excuse for drinking and eating. The score is almost irrelevant. The quantity, quality and price of the beer is more important.

Competitive village cricket is totally different. The players and their performance are monitored as closely as any national sports team. The ultimate goal is to play in the final at Lords.

My eldest daughter's former partner was a 'demon bowler' when they moved to a Suffolk town. He had nearly been selected for a County cricket team when several years younger and was a much more competent cricketer than they and their opponents were used to facing.

He was a terrifying sight from the batsman's point of view. He was tall, about six feet four, large, about 280 pounds of muscle, and could move fast. His bowling was faster and more accurate than anyone in their league. He was also the first black man to live in the town, uncompromisingly dark black, but apart from his performance on the cricket pitch, a very friendly and helpful person. He was popular unless you were the opposing batsman.

His bowling made his cricket team almost unbeatable until their opponents began to realise that they actually needed to train and practise to face his bowling or to emulate it. Singlehandedly he converted the local cricket teams from social cricket with a mild competitive spirit into a group of clubs playing to the best of their capacities.

He has now retired, but the legend of the pitch-black demon bowler is still recounted. He is no longer the only black in town but no one has matched his bowling statistics - yet.
 
Metro-sexual! great word.

But possibly spare yourself women's rugby if you wish to remain terminally innocent ;)

:rose:

The image of an Eighteen & a half stone Rhine Maiden bearing down on me at some speed could be enough to keep me awake at night.
:)
 
The image of an Eighteen & a half stone Rhine Maiden bearing down on me at some speed could be enough to keep me awake at night.
:)

Now now, you are thinking of the props. The backs are lissom athletic beings. Although with handoffs nearly as nightmarish as the demon bowling of Oggbashan's Son-Out-of-Law.

I was, of course, a hooker. :D

(Well, I hooked once or twice, mostly I played full back!)

:rose:

PS Hooker - the rugby player who scrums down between two props at the front of the scrum. Resting on one prop's leg, she hooks the ball with her foot back into her own half of the scrum when the scrum-half puts it in. (The ball! when the scrum half puts the ball in.)
 
...

I was, of course, a hooker. :D

(Well, I hooked once or twice, mostly I played full back!)

:rose:

PS Hooker - the rugby player who scrums down between two props at the front of the scrum. Resting on one prop's leg, she hooks the ball with her foot back into her own half of the scrum when the scrum-half puts it in. (The ball! when the scrum half puts the ball in.)

In Australia I was a Lock-Forward who held the second row's butts together.

Our hooker was a black belt graduate of a SE Asia karate school. Although small, he could be deadly.

But our team wasn't. We were incompetent. We drew two matches. One was a draw with match abandoned because our scrum had pushed over and broken the goal posts. The second was also a draw with match abandoned because only 18 out of 30 players were fit to continue. The rest were injured and we treated minor injuries with disdain. The ambulance service told the referee that five ambulances to one match was too many...
 
only 18 out of 30 players were fit to continue. The rest were injured and we treated minor injuries with disdain. The ambulance service told the referee that five ambulances to one match was too many...

I think that was very unreasonable.

In my first match we had a scratch team of 15 players, no sub. In the middle of the first half the fly half came up saying, Does this look right to you? and pointing to her collarbone which was sticking out of her shoulder. We said: No, get off the pitch! Half the team realised at this point that this wasn't a good way to meet rugby playing men and showed signs of wanting to wimp off home. I and the other half said: Bloody Hell, what are we going to do now for a fly half?

The captain was an Irish medical student called Clodha: a magnificent redhead. The first time she fell over she got up herself. The second time she fell over our coach came on with his pint of beer to pour over her head, as we hadn't got a bucket of water and a sponge. She took the pint from his hand and downed it in one. The third time she fell over they had to carry her off.

Ah! happy days ....

:heart:
 
Not possible for women rugby players to do bag-snatching. (Get the picture?)

Don't you mean Not possible for women rugby players to be bag-snatched?

The notion of co-educational rugby games is an interesting one...

...as is the use of the word snatch in this context.
 
Don't you mean Not possible for women rugby players to be bag-snatched?

The notion of co-educational rugby games is an interesting one...

...as is the use of the word snatch in this context.

Yes, you're right! But we women played like gentlemen, y'know ;).

You can only play co-educational rugby if you play tag as the authorities fear rugby players learning a bit too much about each other. And serious women rugby players tend to be curiously uninterested in grappling with men in the mud.

:rose:
 
I must admit, I know nothing of rugby or cricket, and will be careful when using "sticky wicket" in the future. It was a very interesting read, even if I still don't understand a bit of it. LOL I am chalking it up to national differences, and that is one of the things I love best about LIT.

pesky - adj TROUBLESOME, VEXATIOUS
 
Us pesky Brits will insist on playing football in our own ways! :)

Cwtch - (pronounced cootch), Welsh word meaning cuddle, adopted and much used by South Walian English speakers, especially mums: Come here and give me a cwtch. (Also spelt cwtsh - the Welsh rebelliously refuse to comply with any spelling regulation.)
 
...

Cwtch - (pronounced cootch), Welsh word meaning cuddle, adopted and much used by South Walian English speakers, especially mums: Come here and give me a cwtch. (Also spelt cwtsh - the Welsh rebelliously refuse to comply with any spelling regulation.)

Many of my wife's relations settled in South Wales but remained staunchly English-speaking without any sign of a Welsh lilt. She went to Bangor as a post-graduate, living in a small Welsh town. But at the time speaking Welsh in North Wales was considered too rural.

Many years later we went to Snowdonia for a holiday staying in a cottage near an upland village. When I went to the Fish and Chip shop the price list was in Welsh, the customers spoke Welsh - but the owners were Welsh-speaking Chinese. :)
 
Yes, the South Wales English speaking Welsh remain staunchly proud of their English language while fiercely hating the English especially during the Six Nations! My childminder knew every other family in her street and all of the children by first names - except the Welsh speaking family whom she designated as 'them' with a look of disgust. (To be fair, a lot of English speaking Welsh working class families in the area were struggling to get reasonably priced housing because of an influx of middle class Welsh speakers and the local school was being merged with another school to make way for a Welsh medium school - God, don't ask! the politics of Welsh and English medium education are horrific! They make the comments in Loving Wives look actually loving.)

I know that 'lovely' is a grotesquely over-used word not a seldom-used one but I thought I would share this definition of it which I found on the 'Urban Dictionary' online:

Lovely
1. Meaning something genually [sic] beautiful and/or grand.

2. A word that men should not be allowed to use in conversation with other men.
Man 1: Oh...my God, did you see that cute upholstery that Carl had in his living room? Oh, it was just lovely.

Man 2: We are no longer friends.
 
Us pesky Brits will insist on playing football in our own ways! :)

Cwtch - (pronounced cootch), Welsh word meaning cuddle, adopted and much used by South Walian English speakers, especially mums: Come here and give me a cwtch. (Also spelt cwtsh - the Welsh rebelliously refuse to comply with any spelling regulation.)

I wonder if the Welsh cwtch is at all related to the English word cootch (alternate form, cootchie). For those few of you who haven't met them, he English words mean "vulva".
 
Y 'Urban Dictionary' online:

Lovely
1. Meaning something genually [sic] beautiful and/or grand.

2. A word that men should not be allowed to use in conversation with other men.
Man 1: Oh...my God, did you see that cute upholstery that Carl had in his living room? Oh, it was just lovely.

Man 2: We are no longer friends.


Does anyone on the Urban dictionary speak or write English as a first language?
Or don't they have a dictionary for spelling words ?
 
Does anyone on the Urban dictionary speak or write English as a first language?
Or don't they have a dictionary for spelling words ?

I know, 'genually' sounds like a fascinating new word they are evolving there in the dark underbelly of lexophilia.

:rose:
 
Good day, posters. I love the way you all carry on without me. Here is one I hear in the negative form more often;

pervious - adj admitting passage: PERMEABLE
 
... Here is one I hear in the negative form more often;

pervious - adj admitting passage: PERMEABLE

It is used for specialist mountain clothing that allows sweat out but keeps rain out.

I would like a pair of the socks that work like wellington boots. You can walk through shallow water wearing them and keep your feet dry, but if your feet sweat the socks let the sweat through.

But they don't make them large enough for my feet. :(
 
Og, we have a store here called REI, Recreational Equipment Incorporated, I believe. It started as a Co-op, as I recall, and they have all that stuff. I got a pair of those kind of socks several years ago for hiking and they do work really well.

This one is used often, but its many definitions are new to me;

perverse - adj 1.a. turned away from what is right or good : CORRUPT B. INCORRECT, IMPROPER c. contrary to the evidence or the direction of the judge on a point of law 2.a. obstinate in opposing what is right, reasonable or accepted: WRONG-HEADED b. arising from or indicative of stubborness or obstinacy 3. marked by peevishness or petulance: CRANKY
 
Good day, contributors.

peruke - noun WIG: one of a type popular from the 17th to the early 19th century

I suppose this is the powdered wig worn by our forefathers.
 
par·a·mour
[par-uh-moo r]
noun
1. an illicit lover, especially of a married person.
2. any lover.

Origin:
1250–1300; Middle English, from the phrase par amour by or through love < Old French
 
Good day, contributors.

peruke - noun WIG: one of a type popular from the 17th to the early 19th century

I suppose this is the powdered wig worn by our forefathers.

A peruke is a particular type of wig.

peruke.jpg


In the UK the fashion for wigs and powdering began its end in 1795 when the government introduced a tax on hair powder. The aim of the tax was to prevent flour, then in short supply because of a couple of years of poor harvests, being used as an ornament. The tax succeeded in changing the fashion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top