Do you write to turn others on, or yourself?

Because I have an idea that I want to share... because I want to try something new. Because I'm always writing something, and some of it can only really be shared here. Some of my favourite characters are just not mainstream friendly.
 
Because I have an idea that I want to share... because I want to try something new. Because I'm always writing something, and some of it can only really be shared here. Some of my favourite characters are just not mainstream friendly.

Define "mainstream"...

(says the guy who is pleased with his little collection of comments along the lines of, "your writing isn't the norm around here" - so there's "mainstream" and "mainstream", and never the twain shall meet).
 
Define "mainstream"...

(says the guy who is pleased with his little collection of comments along the lines of, "your writing isn't the norm around here" - so there's "mainstream" and "mainstream", and never the twain shall meet).

Good point, good point. I personally define mainstream as 'something I don't mind my coworkers finding on the internet', and 'something that won't give my mum a heart attack'.

But that might be a slightly narrower interpretation than the next guy's.
 
No judgment, no wrong answer. Just curious.

I tend to write (sex stuff) in order to explore my own desires. This may be why I'm not as keen to share it. (I'm not against sharing it---I have---but it's not as important to me as, say, sharing a song I wrote.)

Wondering what others think.

I merely try to write well.
 
I think I generally write because I like being creative. This is creating something out of my dirty mind. In terms of turn-on, I guess the initial phase -- where I come up with the plot and kinks -- is about turning myself on. But I don't think it would turn into finished stories unless I thought someone would read them. I don't nessecarily think about it in terms of who I'm turning on, but I suppose starting stories is directly rewarding, finishing them is indirectly rewarding, where I get some enjoyment by sharing something I've created and watching the responses.

It's the same with writing music. I would do that too, regardless of anyone listening. But I don't think it would turn into finished songs if I thought no one would hear them.
 
I don't actually write stuff cause my writing is bad and slow and I keep breaking pencils so I just type it on the computer and stuff. But I do it cause maybe my bad experiences and stuff will stop somebody from doing the same thing and thats bad cause it makes it hard to sit down and stuff.

Debbie :heart:
 
I write from personal experiences and to explore untested desires, mostly to please my lover.

Hi, "Grace" (as you're known in the story you provided a link to.) Loved that story.
Long distance relationships used to be a big part of my life. As I'm older, this meant lots of letters (not emails or texts!) as well as phone calls. Loved phone sex. Didn't have the video option back then. (It may have been around but I didn't have it and neither did she.)

Some days are a constant hum with all the yearning, memory, and imaginings surging through one's head and dancing down along one's spine.

As the old song says, "Thanks for the memory!"
 
I don't actually write stuff cause my writing is bad and slow and I keep breaking pencils so I just type it on the computer and stuff.
James Joyce was so blind that he wrote with a red crayon on big poster-paper tablets, whilst wearing a white suit so more light would hit the paper. (That accounts for his spelling.) I wonder how many crayons he broke? Have you tried breaking crayons instead of pencils?

But I do it cause maybe my bad experiences and stuff will stop somebody from doing the same thing and thats bad cause it makes it hard to sit down and stuff.
"If sex is a pain in the butt, you're probably doing it wrong." --old proverb

I suppose some of my pieces can be considered cautionary tales. Don't trust ambitious social climbers or weird pervs. Don't turn into banana slugs. Don't try trephination. Don't let kinfolk drug and rape you. Don't spaz-out.
 
I suppose some of my pieces can be considered cautionary tales. Don't trust ambitious social climbers or weird pervs. Don't turn into banana slugs. Don't try trephination. Don't let kinfolk drug and rape you. Don't spaz-out.

Plz link to stories. I have holes in my literary experience around banana slugs, trephination and kinfolk rape.
 
I write to capture what appeals to me. That is, the Carol Brady gals who crawl thru the sewers when Mike is outta town.
 
My target audience is myself, but I figure if I've put all this imagination to concocting a story, I may as well share it and let others enjoy it if they want to as well.

Plus the stuff tends to swirl around in my head a lot until I expunge it as words on a page.
 
The stories may have turned me on in the beginning but as I write them down, I mostly pay attention to proper descriptions and as to how I should put things into words. The stories may have turnes me on at some point but that's not usually the case at present.
 
Others...no... me

I can't not write, and story ideas are wilful creatures who respect no boundary or genre. So when an erotic idea pops up it must be written like all the others. However once it's written, and I'm looking around for somewhere to put it, then it occurs to me: hmm this turned me on, it might turn someone else on. They might even cum reading it. Cwor.

Then I look back at old stories, all of which seemed unique at the time, erotically, and I see my same old sexual obsessions and realise the tastes of others don't come into it at all, which they should if I was writing for anyone else but me. Then I think oh no, am I as unintentionally one-dimensional in the sack?
 
I write erotica for three reasons. First, to please myself, because I usually can't find the kind of stories that I like.

Second, to amuse other readers, and help them get the kind of stories that I like, and which maybe they'd like, too.

Third, to inspire other writers to write the kind of stories that we enjoy and increase the number of these stories in circulation.

For more insight on my approach, peruse my essay:

https://www.literotica.com/s/i-want-to-make-love-to-you-1
 
I haven't written on Lit yet but I have written 2 erotic fanfictions (based on a videogame) and 1 erotic celeb fic (based on an athlete) years and years ago.

When I returned to my old fics, I am always struck that it's the only story that gets me all worked up 100% of the time because it perfectly caters to my kinks and turn-ons. So to answer the question, I found that in the long run, you ought to write to turn yourself on because it's going to be the story that perfectly caters to your tastes.
 
It's interesting because the more I write, the more it's not just writing what works for me. I actually enjoy writing to flick readers switches even when what I'm writing doesn't necessarily do it for me. I guess what flicks my switches is flicking other people's switches. You learn something about yourself every day.
 
It's interesting because the more I write, the more it's not just writing what works for me. I actually enjoy writing to flick readers switches even when what I'm writing doesn't necessarily do it for me. I guess what flicks my switches is flicking other people's switches. You learn something about yourself every day.

Yesterday I looked at a book that opens with a guy filling a whisky bottle with gasoline, inserting a rag into the bottle, lighting the rag, then throwing the flaming bottle thru a window.

Every story you write starts with a girl plucking petals from daisoes and saying HE LOVES ME, HE LOVES ME NOT.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 
Perhaps the difference is that Chloe was writing erotica for an erotica site and that after all these years you don't realize this is an erotica site, James.
 
Perhaps the difference is that Chloe was writing erotica for an erotica site and that after all these years you don't realize this is an erotica site, James.

The main difference is, Chloe is writing a story and he is reading one.
 
Back
Top