The Time of Her Life {Closed}

3n1gm4_

Really Experienced
Joined
Dec 2, 2017
Posts
254
Reina Bertram was never one to shy away from what she wanted. Always determined, it helped her on her quest to be an upstanding lawyer. However, for the moment she was only a mere intern. It was a long way to the top, and she knew there would be much hard work ahead. The filled days left her with very little time for any sort of social life, as she also had a side job helping her friend sell homemade candles online. During that, she spent a little time here and there with an on-again-off-again boyfriend named John. She roomed with her candle making friend for the time being, hoping she could span off to her own place soon. It almost seemed impossible with the bills on her end, but she had hope she'd get there.

Reina checked the clock on the wall, it was almost time for her to leave the office. Currently she was elbow deep in files, sorting through what the boss needed and didn't need for a case coming up. Putting the last in a neat stack on the desk, she sighed and wrote down her time before turning it in. Snatching her purse up, she heads out of the office and down the sidewalk to her home. On occasion, she took a taxi should she feel too tired for the walk. However, the complex was only a few blocks down, a short enough distance to manage. The streets were as busy as usual in the evening, some off to get dinner and shop like an everyday event. Others were far more shady.

Thugs and vandals crept in the alleyways, some more obvious than others. The occasional prostitute even caught eyes, Reina secretly envious of their lives. They made so much, doing something so easy, and most of them looked good to boot. Not that she was anything to scoff at, her average height accompanied her tone figure quite nicely. Even in the dreaded pantsuits, her round bottom perked with youth. Breasts were a cup above the average C, but in the button up shirt they lacked the luster they could have. Her long curly locks of golden brown bounced gently with each step, green eyes even glimmering in the setting sun. Surely if she had their task, she'd be a hit, but it was something she could not fathom as she walked right by them in the streets.
 
Mike was leaned up against a lamp post casually observing the ladies of the night but nothing so far at caut his attention. He was tall, olive skinned, handsome. The kind of man who was doing this because it was easier than flirting not because he couldn't have hit up a bar but still none of this was appealing and then she walked past him and his head turned slowly.

"Hey are you . . ." She might be a cop so he stopped at that word and started slowly walking with her to see what her response might be. He removed his leather cap and placed his hands behind his back.
 
At first, she paid no mind to the man, assuming he was merely some passerby walking along. But as Reina continued her pace forward, it slowly came to her attention that he was following her. Then he spoke to her, the sudden phrase rather surprising. Who was this man? What did he want? "On my way home? Yes..." Reina finished his sentence, unsure if that was even what he meant to ask. Walking along the sidewalk, the man stayed by her side just the same. It occurred to her that as she looked him over, he was a stunning man to behold. With tanned skin and chiseled features, she had no doubt that this fellow was out of her league. Ogling him just a tad longer, Reina failed to avoid bumping into another pedestrian, their arms colliding but no major accident caused. "I'm terribly sorry, that was my fault..." she mumbled to the man, briskly walking to the crosswalk. She stopped and turned to the handsome figure that had come along, at finger pressing the button upon the pole. "Is there something I can help you with, sir?"
 
"No, and I'm not actually following you, we just happen to be headed the same way so don't freak out on me. I know that every beautiful woman thinks that a man is just chasing her but I'm honestly not that guy and this isn't some horror movie." Mike said laughing lightly.

She was perfect though and he'd studied her well enough to know that she had a lot to lose which always made the women easier to get. The man she'd bumped into hadn't been random at all and he gave the approval.
 
Reina chuckled, standing with the man and watching the lights. "That's comforting." She brushed some hair from her face, now glancing his way. "So where is it you're heading? I don't believe it's to my place, but there are some nice restaurants in that area." The light sudden changed, her steps taking her off the curb and with the man to the other side of the road. "Not that I'm inviting you to dinner, I don't want it to mean that." Nervously laughing, head shook for a brief moment.. "I just mean, a guy like yourself would obviously be meeting someone at a place like that. But I could be wrong." She had no clue about the man's intentions, nor the partner she had bumped into. Overall the guy appeared to be normal like any other, even friendly to boot.
 
"It's the Italian place I forget the name of it, or rather I can't actually pronounce it properly. Or the owner's name but he kinda gets annoyed when you say it wrong. And I can get that. And I'm not meeting anybody it's just a bit of a habit to eat there at least once a week and you're welcome to join. I mean . . .I wasn't trying to . . " He forced himself to look away pretending to be shy.
 
Listening to him speak, she had known of the place well. Often the owner would be seen chewing out an employee or two, but the business still thrived despite his cantankerous attitude. "Giuseppe's place, yeah I've passed it a few times but I've never been..." Reina started, until the offer actually sunk in. "Wait... Are you... Inviting me to eat with you? Wow." There was certain shock in her voice as the two walked, a light pink radiating from her cheeks. A guy like him wanting to dine out with a girl like her? Did she step into the twilight zone? Shyly she laughed, hers possibly more genuine than his, before responding. "I'd like that, I don't have any other plans tonight so... I'm free." Lightly smiling, she found it hard to look him in the eyes now.
 
"Really?" He said turning back towards her. "My name is Mike and well thank you I wasn't. . .I assumed someone like you was already with a man." He said stepping a bit closer so they were walking together once the light turned instead of him following behind her. "The food is amazing and he usually has some pretty original drinks. . .or maybe they are just Italian things that I don't really understand." Mike said.
 
"Well, Mike...I'm Reina and I'll have you know I'm... Technically not seeing anyone. We're not exclusive. Often he'll go off and do his thing for a month or two then I will. Occasionally we're together for a week or two, then we split and do it all over again." She confessed, shaking her head. "I don't know with my schedule it's hard to keep anyone around for very long without the stability." Reina walked side by side with him, carefully not to keep her body too close to his. "Italian things huh? I may try that. They make some damn good pasta so the drinks can't be all that bad." Grinning, it was clear she was enjoying his company, as they drew closer and closer to the restaurant. "So do you live around here? I don't think I've seen you around but its hard for me to pay attention some times."
 
"So there is a man, he's just not smart enough to lavish you with attention." Mike said with a chuckle. The important detail though was that clearly she was alone tonight, the man he'd seen with her was occupied somewhere and clearly she was a bit starved for attention right now. "What do you do that keeps you so erotic. . .erratic. I meant to say erratic. I know with me it's just the nature of the businesses. Housing market is kinda slow but I might have to drive across town to meet someone at four in the morning to do a walk through, or some guy might call me to be a bodyguard or a bouncer for his night club." Mike said it wasn't a complete lie either.
 
Reina smirked softly at his remark on her love life, or lack thereof, rather amused that he caught that. A bout of laughter spoke at his wrong choice of words, charmed by the fact that he could make such a mistake. "Well, a lot of it is my interning. They don't have a set amount of pay, and they hours are long. Also I help a friend sell candles online, so those times are just as hectic. By the time I have any time for myself, I am wiped. All I want to do is just sleep. So trying to fit anything, anywhere in my life is just a pain." Giving him a smile, she felt more drawn to the man by the minute. "So you're sort of the jack-of-all-trades type right? I can see why that lifestyle always has you on your toes. I don't see how it leaves you single, that's a mystery on its own." The words held a sort of hint to them, as did the mild pink that developed on her cheeks.
 
Mike threw her a quick smile and a glance while they walked. "A Jack of all Trades? I'll take the compliment but I think it's more like being a master of none. Most of the time being a bodyguard or a bouncer really amounts to wear a nice suit, put on shades, make sure everybody sees you and that the only thing in their minds is that they don't want you to come at them. Sure you do get into the occasional bad situation."

She was quite a looker, better up close now that he wasn't just observing and reporting on her to the others. A small part of him felt a bit of guilt for what he planned for her in the long run, but not enough to change his plans. That would involve him not getting her at all.

"Being a salesmen on the other hand can be a tad tricky." Mike said tipping his hand to her a tiny bit, not that she'd notice. "See that's mostly about finding out what a person wants and giving it to them and also being able to quickly identify the kind of person you are with. Have you ever seen Pirates of the Caribbean? The original with the skeletons and Johnny. . .something. . guy who Tim Burton has on speed dial encase he wakes up high and wants to make a movie with way too much black?"
 
"Well yes, understandable." Reina quipped at the bouncer explanation, imagining him getting into a brawl with a man that became a bit too obnoxious. Then she started to wonder just how rough those hands could be with her. Instantly she had to fight of such a thought with a quick blink or two. A guy of his stature could certainly offer a lot, but Reina was not one to set her hopes too high. He carried on about being a sales man, her face lighting up at the mention of the movie. "Depp, yes I know of him." She chuckled softly at his joke, coming back stray hairs behind her ear. "What you're saying is you have to be good at reading people? Is that a skill you excel in?" She led on, alternating her gaze from the walk in front of her, to his face. "What do you think I want?" Reina blurted out, recovering with an additional remark. "Uh, product.. wise." A light hue showed on her cheeks, hoping she played that off well enough.
 
"Well I'll take that as a yes you have because it's part of the answer to your question. At the beginning of the first pirates movie Depp fights. . .Legolas and they don't really start as a fight, they start with a dance. I can't remember the exact wording but it boils down to Sparrow stating if I step here, then you step there, I strike here, and you parry there. As a salesmen its the same thing you have to figure out ways to know what they know." Mike slid a littler closer to her. They were almost at the restaurant and he did need to test the waters a tad.

He made certain that this time she was aware of him looking her over. "You're a bit of a hard read. I mean I haven't spent a lot of time with you but you don't seem to be much of a material girl. I'm guessing by you look and demeanor that your car is adequate. You walk because you can and it keeps you fit" he made sure to lay that last word on just heavy enough to claim plausible deniability, "-there is nothing special about it but it's yours and that's important. This is going to sound forward so. . ." he put a finger to his cheek, "-if I'm out of line slap me but I think what you want as a material girl is a material man who figure out how to make your schedule work and be with you." He closed his eyes. He was fairly certain she wouldn't strike him but he had to be willing to take it.
 
"Legolas?." Reina chuckled, knowing very well the actor he meant to say. Head nodded along to what he said, the comparison making sense enough. It hardly caught her eye that he was getting close to her, on purpose even. But sights did catch the veering gaze that looked her up and down. That couldn't be right, could it? She listened as he carried on about herself, part of what he said was true, Reina gave him that with a gentle smirk. Then he was as bold to say what he did about her love life. It did not bring a rage or an insult, she felt a small sting, yet there was a sensibility to his words. "You're not exactly wrong.... It would be nice to have someone to fit into my life as seamlessly as a puzzle. However materialistically speaking, I could go either way. I've even humored the idea of changing my life completely around for a man... " Her eyes softly looked to his, coming to a stop and standing before him at the front of the restaurant. "If they were to be worth it, to let them consume my life and change it.. But That notion is far more unlikely." Head whipped around to the entrance, then back to him. "Anyway, shall we go in?"
 
"Yes lets go in, oddly there is no line, yes Legolas I'm bad with names. I'm pretty good with faces but I'm awful with actual names so yeah." Mike said as they were escorted to a table in the corner, lit by candle.

"Really, you've thought about that. I can't really fully picture that, I mean. . . I'm kinda at the opposite end of that one. Wishing I could find a woman that I could. . . since we're not on a date and I'll never see you again there is no reason not to be honest. A woman that I could sculpt and mold and make my own." Mike shivered slightly then tilted his gaze, not entirely away, she could still see his eyes but he wasn't entirely looking at her. "I know male chauvinist pig, I try."
 
Reina faintly smiled to the waiter that escorted them inside, gently laughing to his admittance. She sat down, taking a menu the waiter settled down on their table. Her gaze focused on Mike as he spoke about what he looked for, her brows rising some at the honesty he shared. "Oh my.", humorously smiling at the shot taken at himself. "I don't know if I could do that, personally. But everyone has their preference, surely there's someone out there you can find to warp and fit your needs." She opened the menu, glancing over the dishes with speculation. "If only finding another was as simple as looking at a menu like this, and choosing a selection." Eyes glanced back up to him, the waiter coming back to their table to take their drink order. "A sweet tea, ice and lemon please." Reina looked back to Mike, waiting for him to order his before continuing their conversation. "So.. How long have you been around here?"
 
"It's more like if finding someone who would stay was that easy." Mike replied and the regret was real here. Sure the reality was most of the girls were sold but he missed a great deal of them very much. He made his order or lasagna, Merlot and optional crepe quickly never entirely taking his eyes off her.

"Here, well if you mean here here just a few years. I spent my youth . . .well we were poor so just far enough out that the local weed dealer would lie to your dad about why you were late. But my old man was in the Corps so I got to travel some even if Mon was always here." He lowered his head a bit. That part was true. Divorced parents, shared custody. He was happy they bounced him back and forth since he loved them both and he got to see all sorts of neat things with his father.
 
"My... Oh wow.. That... That sounds rough.", Reina responded, a sympathetic expression on her face. If he had pain from it, he hid it almost perfectly. The way his head dropped was all that hinted towards it. A hand reached out, just to kindly graze his. However the waiter returned with their drinks just then, Reina shifting it back to grab her glass. She took a sip and set it down, diverting the subject onto another topic. "So... A merlot, I did not take you for a wine man. I would have thought you were more of a beer guy.", following with a light laugh, she slid the menu aside and ordered herself a pasta salad for her meal. "I like a good Chardonnay sometimes. Do you often drink? Or is it only an occasional taste here and there." Vision stayed locked with his, there was a strange comfort when looking into his eyes. She had no clue of the deviant plans they held, blinded by his charisma and soft tone as they conversed.
 
"Actually I'm generally more on the hard liquor but right now I want to keep my head." Mike admitted with a half smirk taking a sip of his wine. "What about you?"
 
"Wine is alright. I usually have it at public events when its the only thing around. Hard liquor is for the tougher when you want to forget." Reina toyed with the straw in her glass, bringing it to her lips as she leaned in. Swallowing the tea quickly, her back leaned softly against the chair. "I'm sure you've been in those situations from time to time. Deaths, break-ups, and the like." Her soft gaze observed him briefly, her feet shifting from under the table. Subtly one grazed against his, Reina hoped he had not noticed the accidental gesture. Softly she cleared her throat, diverting to a new topic. "I like more nonalcoholic beverages, like coffee and the flavored waters. Regular water is good too, but... Too bland, you know?-" She was about to add more, until the soft chime of her phone cut her off.

Pulling her phone from her pocket, she glanced at the screen. It was her roommate, asking how she was since Reina has not made it home at her usual time. "Oh, hold on. Its my roommate." She quickly tapped away at the screen, letting her know she was grabbing a meal but left out the fact she was with someone. After letting her know she would be home later, Reina set her phone on the table and gave him a smile. "Sorry about that.", she glanced up as the waiter came with their plates, setting them in front of the both of them and offering any other services he could provide. She shook her head, turning back to Mike and giving him her full attention.
 
Mike smiled when her foot grazed against him and he took a sip of his drink as well. "Of course there have been hard times in the past, sadly most of them have been times I had to stay sober but I don't mind the hard stuff. Not much into flavored water but you don't seem bland so don't worry." He tipped his head slightly.

He hadn't noticed that she had a roommate though, certainly not one attentive enough to check in on her from time to time. That would just be one more thing he was going to have to deal with in the long run for now though he could just enjoy her.

"So tell me something interesting about yourself."
 
"Its not for everyone.", Reina subtly shrugged, picking at her pasta. She scooped up a little and took a bite, finishing off the food quick enough to answer his question. "Something interesting... Um..", fork settled upon plate so she could drink some tea. A pensive expression took over her face, thinking on what could be considered interesting to him. "When I was nine, I had an accident at a local pool. It happened so fast that I can barely remember but I was playing with an old friend and went under. I nearly died, but since then I have a pretty bad fear for swimming in deep waters." Reina took in more food, silently hoping that was not too dark. "Oh, there's also this one time I got really messed up on Ecstasy and broke into this carnival with some friends after hours. We got so lucky we weren't caught, but it was rather fun. Especially when I went with-", she cut herself off realizing what subject her mouth was taking her to, "Well that's probably not appropriate dinner conversation." Reina shook her head, putting more food into her mouth afterward.
 
Mike smiled and took a bite of his meal. "You are clearly extraordinary. I don't know for sure if it's boring or amazing but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Because a lesser woman would have stammered into a nothing sandwich and a greater would have said something about walks on the beach." He paused to sip at his wine. "But you, you have a story but nothing really about you."

Mike exhaled and scratched behind his ear. "My turn. When I was a kid my dad wasn't paying attention one night and I watched Child's Play he came in about halfway through and let me finish. Later he told me that he did that because he figured if I knew that the monster could be killed I'd be less scared than if he stopped me halfway through. The thing is that the part that scarred me was at the very end when the burned doll crawled through the vents and it's head was screaming to kill them while the body moved. Too this day I can't have life sized dolls around me without a twinge of fear."
 
"Oh, wow. That would give me nightmares for a lifetime. I've watched the movies myself but when I was older. As a child, I was way more scared about horror movies than I like to admit.", Reina chuckled softly, forking some pasta down and chewing away quietly. "So I guess buying you a blow up doll would be out of the question." She joked, then lightly blushed after the remark and cleared her throat. "Not that I would, unless it was a gag gift. I don't think you actually need one.. Just to.. Make that clear." Awkwardly trying to move away from that. Fingers lightly spun the fork in hand, "By the way, thank you for suggesting this place and letting me come with this. The food is way better than I thought it would be. Do you often eat out at places like these? Or do you cool in your spare time too?" Eyes flicked from her plate to his face, holding his gaze but only for a brief moment as nervousness sent it to her food.
 
Back
Top