Oz invents brutal new approach to tourists

Are you guys trying to discourage tourism? It sounds like you're just sharing the misery of living in Oz.
 
Are you guys trying to discourage tourism? It sounds like you're just sharing the misery of living in Oz.

It's okay, public service and all. I canceled my plans about 20 years ago when I found out Australia has the greatest number of deadly animals in the world :eek:

You asked " countries with the most dangerous animals" and the answer is Australia. It has the most venomous snakes, the most venomous spider (that may be contested) and the most deadly animal of all the box jelly fish. Not to mention salt water crocodile, it even has killer ants....or so says the "internet" :rolleyes:
 
Are you guys trying to discourage tourism? It sounds like you're just sharing the misery of living in Oz.

It's only dangerous if you're unprepared. The biggest danger of Australia is it's sheer size, and the fact that virtually no one lives in the really dangerous parts. I'm pretty sure that more than 90% of the population lives within 50km of the coastline, so if you get lost in centre (as we call it) you can get into some real trouble.

Also, most of the venemous animals are way more scared of humans than we are of them. We have spiders and snakes all around my families farm and house, but no one there has ever been bitten. It's just a matter of always being on the lookout for things like that.

The only large predators to worry about are crocodiles and sharks. Sharks rarely come inland and are actually pretty uncommon. Crocodiles are much more dangerous though and the only real way to avoid them is to never go near the water up north. Hell, there are even stories of people being attacked while asleep in tents by crocs, which is why my family always slept above ground while we were camping there.
 
It's only dangerous if you're unprepared. The biggest danger of Australia is it's sheer size, and the fact that virtually no one lives in the really dangerous parts.

That can all be said about the US as well. We even have Crocs! Well, in Florida and Puerto Rico, anyway.
 
A cyclone.

A very big cyclone.

Christmas day, a barbeque, and a fucking cyclone. That is so very Aussie; sadly also a killer, with 65 lives lost - Darwin was literally blown off the face of the earth, Christmas Day, 1974.

Just went and read up on that one and wow. Gives the big ones like Katrina a run for their money.
 
--snip-- Also, most of the venemous animals are way more scared of humans than we are of them. --snip--

Beg to differ!

After three epi shots for anaphylaxis in my misspent checkered youth, if you want me to have a heart attack, just toss virtually anything with more than four legs or less than two at me or anywhere near me. I ain't sticking around to identify if it's actually venomous or not! (At least here the Diamondbacks have the professional courtesy to warn a guy.)

I've been known to face down a gun and dare them to "pull the fucking trigger and watch what happens next." (Don't ask. I already said I had a checkered past.) But, unh uh. Hell no. Not even if Miranda Kerr called me up and guaranteed me a sure a thing that included her and two of her friends...

Well, maybe then. But, short of that...
 
Paradise on earth, mate. Just need to keep the riff-raff out.

I wasn't sure how that worked when we went down there so when they asked about criminal convictions, I asked if they were still a requirement for entry. We did not sense any amusement from the immigration officer. We did sense a certain annoyance. We also heard this big guy behind me say "she's always like this, just ignore her, she's trying to be funny..."

"She's not."

We did get let in....
 
Paradise on earth, mate. Just need to keep the riff-raff out.

At least Australia eventually ditched the infamous language test:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Restriction_Act_1901

The dictation test came into disrepute when it began to be used to exclude and deport individuals which the government considered undesirable.

Jewish political activist Egon Kisch from Czechoslovakia, who was exiled from Germany for opposing Nazism, arrived in Australia in 1934. The Government of Joseph Lyons went to extraordinary lengths to exclude Kisch, including using the dictation test. Kisch was fluent in a number of European languages, and after completing passages in several languages, he finally failed when he was tested in Scottish Gaelic.
 
I took my final school examinations in Melbourne Australia when the temperature was 40C. The examination hall had a domed glass roof and the internal temperature was higher than 40C. As a special concession we were allowed to take our jackets and ties off. :)

I passed...

Just after leaving university, I spent several years working in Portugal and Spain as a holiday rep. Uniform was provided - the suit was designer, wool and lined - and we had to look smart, and on airport days, identical. If one person wore a jacket, all had to wear one. If one person wore tights*, everyone had to wear them.

*pantyhose?

Our manager decided one girl's legs weren't fit to be seen (think it was bad eczema or similar). So, in the middle of a Portuguese summer, we all had to wear black tights with a full wool suit, in non-air-conditioned buildings and outside in the bright sun.

There were protests. We were allowed to discard...the jacket. But, only if we were outside, or in the worst-affected part of the airport. Otherwise, fully clad.

I hate tights, so I wore hold-ups, which weren't half as warm. Think it gave my smile an extra cheekiness. :D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top