Parody Work - Rejected

Lycandope

Writer
Howdy!

I wrote a story based on the grown up kids from the magic school bus. It got rejected because they don't take stories based on grown up versions of celebrities.

Understandable. But, can I change the name of the story and the character names to something else and repost? Like, The Supernatural School Bus?

Is that enough to get past the rejection?

Howdy!

I wrote a story based on the grown up kids from the magic school bus. It got rejected because they don't take stories based on grown up versions of celebrities.

Understandable. But, can I change the name of the story and the character names to something else and repost? Like, The Supernatural School Bus?

Is that enough to get past the rejection?

Possibly, but you should probably ask Laurel -- send her a private message, not an email -- directly.

Possibly, but you should probably ask Laurel -- send her a private message, not an email -- directly.

Yep, anything short of this is just wheel's spinning speculation.

It would be useful for the rest of us to know what she advises.

If they're still recognizeable by Laurel as the characters or setting of the original material, probably not. If she recognizes the source, and the characters from the actual continuity never reached 18 in official material, it will get rejected no matter where you put it.

You're probably going to have to sufficiently change it to make it unrecognizeable as a parody of the original material, which more or less defeats the purpose, I should imagine. Another member went through this with a Pokemon story, and that was what he reported after talking with Laurel.

I got a reply so I changed the story up a bit and resubmitted. Fingers crossed that it works since I like the site and hope to keep all of my stories in one place. It's a pain when they get scattered. And people at the other site like the story so it'd be nice to get it out there for others :)

Back