does astro glide

the blank manual is your friend, dude.

it dries out a bit quickly for some but yes, it does work. some women aren't crazy about KY as it's used in doctor's offices and that context is decidedly unsexy for them. unsurprising, really.

ed

Astroglide works fine, but if KY does the job for you, then why switch? Early on the wife and I tried out both products for anal and determined that for us Astroglide wasn't worth the difference in price. But for others, it may work better. (We also tried Vaseline and baby oil--neither of which were satisfactory).

What is good for some isnt for others.. I find most brands irritate my skin if it's not washed off immediately after the fun. I personally prefer coconut oil.

The issue with KY Jelly--apart from the potential not-so-sexy medical procedure associations Ed mentioned--is that it's formulated for one-time insertion (like a speculum), so it doesn't tend to hold up to thrusting very well. Also, like MANY lubes that are intended for sexual use, it contains a bunch of ingredients that can be irritating and cause reactions and infections for some people. Women who have autoimmune and hormonal/endocrine issues seem to be more susceptible to those types of reactions (e.g. A LOT of women with diabetes and PCOS are sensitive to things like alcohol, glycerin and preservatives that are commonly found in lubes like KY and Astroglide).

Because I'm one of those people who's sensitive to certain ingredients in lubes, I've tried quite a few over the years. My conclusion is that there are far better lubes than Astroglide that don't contain irritating ingredients. Babeland has great descriptions of different types of lubes and what they do/don't contain. I'd suggest starting on a site like that w/ good, comprehensive info, then shopping around for the best price online.

Overall, we've found either coconut oil or silicone lube to be our best bets. I buy organic coconut oil in a huge tub for about $20 at Costco, and use it for cooking and skincare/lube. It's a great, cheap, healthy option if you're not using condoms or toys that contain latex/rubber. We end up using it a lot for hand jobs, massages, and masturbation. Silicone lube is a little expensive up front, but it is super slick, moisturizing, hypoallergenic & non-irritating, never goes bad, and a little goes a looong way, so you end up saving a bunch in the long run. A 16 ounce pump bottle of ID Millenium that I bought for $20 online probably 8 years ago is still lubing us up! :eek: The only caveat with silicone lube is it can't be used with toys that contain silicone, but it's fantastic for anal play, condoms and even dry skin. If you do have toys that aren't oil- or silicone- lube compatible, you can either slip a condom over them or keep a small bottle of water-based lube on hand.

Anyway, there are a lot of lubes that are far better than Astroglide, so do your research and maybe pick up some trial/pillow packs of a couple of good water-based lubes, plus a silicone lube, so you can see what you like before you invest in larger bottles. If you live near a sex store that has tester bottles of lubes (Babeland and other higher end stores often do, but call around and ask about selection and tester bottles that customers can feel with their fingers), that's a great way to compare as well, and won't cost you anything. :)

I like Vagisil for those times when I am a little dry. It feels most like my natural lubrication and it only takes a few drops.

Nothing Quite like

Slippery Stuff.....just be careful when you put the cap back on ......makes a mess when it slips out of your hand .....

oh yes, reactions to stuff 'down there'.

I react to certain stuff but have always found the own-brand plain lubes ok.

I once bought those heat/cool Durex lubes. Oh fucking hell, they stung like a right cunt and I had to rinse myself out for ages. Complete buzzkill. I can't use most toys, only 'hard plastic' or glass, and have to be really careful about condoms.

Never thought to use coconut oil, I have it as a moisturiser and for cooking. Hmmm. Thanks.

Chamois cream - has anyone tried that for sexual purposes? It's supposed to be different to lubes as it stays on your skin without being absorbed. If it lasts for 100+ miles, there must be some sexual use?

EDIT: not suitable for lady parts, apparently?
http://totalwomenscycling.com/lifestyle/beauty/beauty-and-the-bike-chamois-cream-6497/

I cycle a lot and have to be careful about changing out of my shorts and how I wash and dry them as I'll get irritated. I'm pretty certain that a kidney infection I had in November originated from trouble drying my clothes earlier in the autumn (I didn't have the heating on). Some people use chamois cream, astro and other lubes to stop rubbing, but I don't due to reacting, plus I don't seem to need them.

Last edited:
Whoever designs lube bottles, particularly silicone lube bottles or pumps, without putting in some kind of ribbed/textured surface is a jerk. I have a bottle of Gun Oil (a silicone-based lube) that comes in a pump bottle, and having the bottle slip out of my hand and roll across the floor while I'm trying to get my stroke on... not cool.

It works, but it's a bit too oily-seeming for my personal taste. And the bottle I have leaks if you tip it - not good.

It was made by NASA though, so it's got that going for it :D

I'd have to agree about local reactions and have become sensitive to Nonoxyl-9 which is used as a spermicide on most condoms and, bizarrely, was listed as a preservative in my last years flu-jab. You never know what shit they add to increase shelf life.
I even found a home-made recipe for water based lubricant using vegetable glycerine and Xantham? gum - great fun if you need to make a bucketful but not very practical!

I read somewhere that oil-based lubes are not a good idea, especially for anal. Not sure about silicon oils though..

We found the "Wet platinum" is the best by far and longest lasting...only down side is that since it's silicone based you have to wipe it off and it's my easy water clean up...

If you want cheap, you can go to the farm store. I guess farmers all over the world have the same needs.
(But be careful, some of the stuff they sell at farm stores is quite scary)

https://webshop.danishagro.dk/index.php?action=shop_show_item&varenr=v_12235
getfile_image

They have it in 1 liter bottles and 5 liter jugs at the local webshop.

A rough interpretation:

Bovivet vaginal slime/gel 5 liter
Stock nr. 12235 in storage

Exploration gel with protective film for lubing instruments, arms and hands when calving or performing vaginal- or rectal examination. Ready for use.
Price: DKK 144,00 ex. VAT
Volume buy:
Buy 4, and pay DKK 129,60 ex VAT for each

DKK 100 is approximately 18 USD or 13½ EUR.

I wonder how Lady C would react to a 5 liter jug at the bedside table?
(With the receipt next to it, telling that I actually bought 20 liters of the stuff)
:D

Last edited:
I was turned on by another Litster to a water based hemp oil lube called Sexy Ganja.
Safe for all toys & condoms, plus I had a friend that had a sensitivity "down there" to Latex amongst other things and playing with this never bothered her one bit. Doesn't last as long as silicone (i.e. infinity), but well over a half hour of serious thrusting playtime. And it's water based, so clean up is easy.

It's made in Canada but still legal in the US & sold in a few outlets I think.

Water based lubricants absorb into the body, silicone lube is hydrophobic. Find silicone lube from a sex toy store and ignore the drug store brands.

I am totally sensitive to all kinds of things. The only lube I like is the line called H2O JO. Can only get online or at sex shop. Good quality and long lasting. We mosty use the water based but silicone for anal sometimes.

I am totally sensitive to all kinds of things. The only lube I like is the line called H2O JO. Can only get online or at sex shop. Good quality and long lasting. We mosty use the water based but silicone for anal sometimes.
Many say a special type of water-based is the best for anal!

Water based is best with sex toys and condoms. Silicone lube great for a dry vagina and intercourse and to play with your man's cock. It gets nice and slippery for a long, nice edging while I talk dirty to him.

We use WaterSlide.
As the name implies it is water based. It reacts with bodily fluids to get even slipperier. Did I spell that correctly?
Kind of expensive but worth it in the long run.

I vote for organic coconut oil. It lasts, it's edible, it's slippery. I think the organic natural part and edible part are the most important. I mean, who doesn't have a need to kiss and otherwise pleasure said lubricated parts? (I use chemicals like WD40 for the kind of needs that don't need a kiss or two ;) )

Water based is best with sex toys and condoms. Silicone lube great for a dry vagina and intercourse and to play with your man's cock. It gets nice and slippery for a long, nice edging while I talk dirty to him.

Ladies whatever you use could you please make sure that it tastes good!

Back