Working with an Editor or Editing 101

LadyVer

Definitely not a mouse
When working with an editor, it is important that the writer not delete all the editor's comments in MS Word Track Changes. It's also important that the questions the editor asked in the comments be answered.

Tag: Today's experience with an editing project

You must expect the author to send it back to you for cleanup. I don't. So, the author has to clean out everything if they don't want it to show when they submit it, and they don't owe me any answers to any questions--they can deal with them, or not, as they wish. It is a good idea, though, for the author to make a copy to clean up and keep a copy of the original edit in case they've erased something they later want to see again.

You must expect the author to send it back to you for cleanup. I don't. So, the author has to clean out everything if they don't want it to show when they submit it, and they don't owe me any answers to any questions--they can deal with them, or not, as they wish. It is a good idea, though, for the author to make a copy to clean up and keep a copy of the original edit in case they've erased something they later want to see again.

I usually work in three rounds, sometimes two. Comments are a useful tool to communicate between author and editor. Usually, the comments are deleted by me or the author after the final proofing round where I read from Final View.

It's impossible to catch everything in one round, especially when the first round of the Final Showing Markup view is overflowing with markups. The first round is where I usually ask questions about things that don't make sense. Like if the character is a poor college student on a scholarship with no fairy godfather, how he is driving a BMW? Or, are these numbers supposed to be the same because it sounds like they should be. Or, I make suggestions like: I think cock or dick would read better than snake. Or, "No way (is that in the realm of possibility)."

Every editor, as you know, develops their own way of editing.

Right. Every editor has her/his own way. So your way isn't really Editing 101. It's just your way. I perform at least two rounds of editing also, but then it goes back to the author and they do the cleanup and take/reject anything they want from the edit. They don't then owe me any answers or explanations.

Right. Every editor has her/his own way. So your way isn't really Editing 101. It's just your way. I perform at least two rounds of editing also, but then it goes back to the author and they do the cleanup and take/reject anything they want from the edit. They don't then owe me any answers or explanations.

Whatever works for you Pilot is fine. I'm not arguing with you. I still like the title of my thread. If you don't like it, maybe this thread isn't for you.

Oh, I don't mind pointing out that the OP isn't THE way that you purported it is. ;)

Oh, I don't mind pointing out that the OP isn't THE way that you purported it is. ;)

Pilot, everyone knows that your purpose in life is to annoy both writers and editors by pointing out their supposed mistakes and statements. The only thing you're 'purporting' is the delusion of your own mind, as usual. Kindly take your delusions, and rudeness, elsewhere.

editing

well- no matter how many give and takes I have with an author, all I can tell you for sure is that I like to listen to overly loud 70's rock music when I edit.

When working with an editor, it is important that the writer not delete all the editor's comments in MS Word Track Changes. It's also important that the questions the editor asked in the comments be answered.

Tag: Today's experience with an editing project

Most people who voluntarily help others have an opinion on the best way to complete that work.

What the author does after I return their story is up to them. I don't expect or require them to send it back for a second look or even to answer any of my questions. I use questions as a tool, as a way to make the author look at the piece from another perspective. They can ignore every single one, if they choose to, because it's their story, not mine.

I agree. That was my reaction to the "instructional" "Editing 101" wording of the OP as well. Which is why I commented on it.

I agree. That was my reaction to the "instructional" "Editing 101" wording of the OP as well. Which is why I commented on it.

Of course you do, you're a suck up. Will you now get a gold star? Or do you get to stand at the head of the line to leave Kindergarden?

Too bad LadyV made the mistake of posting in a forum where it is made painfully obvious that only two people in it think they can edit.

This forum has little "action" as it is.

Pretty soon it will be you two just talking to each other and I'm sure you'll be very happy doing so.

This is a free site and any editing here is done on equal footing as is the writing. The only difference is many do not feel the need to drive their BS at others continuously.

This forum was much more respectable when Lady C was active here.

This from someone who doesn't even have an editor (and recently posted that it's only Literotica, so why bother?).

You seem a little upset today, LC, and particularly prone to being a stalking asshole. ;)

What I posted here was to assure those seeking editors that the OP's "Editing 101" "instruction" was one way of doing it, but, as the claimed "Editing 101" way, she's full of barf. I guess you just don't care about other authors here, LC. Too obsessed with stalking me.

Most people who voluntarily help others have an opinion on the best way to complete that work.

What the author does after I return their story is up to them. I don't expect or require them to send it back for a second look or even to answer any of my questions. I use questions as a tool, as a way to make the author look at the piece from another perspective. They can ignore every single one, if they choose to, because it's their story, not mine.

Absolutely. And what I find is that those authors I edit for sometimes ask *me* if I can/have time/mind reading a revised version. I don't ask them to send it back; I'm not their teacher. It's not about me, it's about them and their story.

I hear what you're saying. In my case, I like to look at the story again, after the author has processed the edits and answered my questions. Additionally, there are usually revisions the author has made in response to my comments that I like to copy edit and proofread. The authors I work with appreciate that. They can refuse to do so as it's their story, but the question would be, why? I'm offering to look at their story again, for free, to catch any mistakes. If they're in a hurry and/or don't want to have their story looked at again, that's fine, but to me it makes sense for me to reread the story and proof it before the story is submitted.

Last edited:
well- no matter how many give and takes I have with an author, all I can tell you for sure is that I like to listen to overly loud 70's rock music when I edit.

:) I've thought of listening to music while I edit, but I'm one of those who have a hard enough time focusing, so music would be a distraction to me. Glad to know you listen to 70s rock music when you edit. :)

I had a fantastic author/editor relationship with Eviant a few years ago. I don't see her around here anymore though. She usually gave me one thorough pass with lots of questions and suggestions. If I made huge changes in response, she'd give the new version another pass. Otherwise I'd submit once I incorporated her feedback.

I'm working well with AnotherWannabe right now. So far, it sees to take two passes with him.

I've enjoyed the editorial support of one of my favorite authors here. She asked not to be credited in my stories, so won't mention her name here either. The process has been quite different with her though. It has been more back and forth. I worry that I'm abusing her generosity, but I'm very grateful. Particularly when attempting a new category, the back and forth is very educational.

The back and forth is where the editor/writer relationship develops, as well as deeper story polishing. Thanks for commenting!

Absolutely. And what I find is that those authors I edit for sometimes ask *me* if I can/have time/mind reading a revised version. I don't ask them to send it back; I'm not their teacher. It's not about me, it's about them and their story.
In a sense, though, aren't we teachers? An author can learn from the comments and suggestions we give and improve future stories.

I hear what you're saying. In my case, I like to look at the story again, after the author has processed the edits and answered my questions. Additionally, there are usually revisions the author has made in response to my comments that I like to copy edit and proofread. The authors I work with appreciate that. They can refuse to do so as it's their story, but the question would be, why? I'm offering to look at their story again, for free, to catch any mistakes. If they're in a hurry and/or don't want to have their story looked at again, that's fine, but to me it makes sense for me to reread the story and proof it before the story is submitted.

I've worked with many people in the years I've been here. What works with one author might not come close to working with another.

And if a story was rough to start with, having someone point out the errors could overwhelm the author. A second look could be more than they can handle.

In a sense, though, aren't we teachers? An author can learn from the comments and suggestions we give and improve future stories.

I've worked with many people in the years I've been here. What works with one author might not come close to working with another.

And if a story was rough to start with, having someone point out the errors could overwhelm the author. A second look could be more than they can handle.

Most stories that Lit authors have sent me are rough to begin with, no matter how much experience the author has. If an author can't handle suggestions from an editor, maybe they should consider if writing is for them, or consider if they're better off not working with an editor. And writers always have the option to find an editor they feel suits them better. I hear what you're saying though.

Before I work with a writer, I explain how I work, that I usually do two rounds and a final proofing. I haven't had anyone say they couldn't handle this method. Now, if a writer does end up having trouble with the way I work, I would hope they would feel free enough to tell me. I let them know that if there's anything they're not comfortable with or have questions about, to let me know, but that in the end, they're the writer, the story is theirs, and they have the final say in what edits they accept or reject. I may not like what they reject, but it's not my story.

Yes, in that sense we are teachers. But I do not feel I am the type of teacher who is giving final approval to anything. I hope I do help and teach people to improve their writing, even if only at a technical level.

Most stories that Lit authors have sent me are rough to begin with, no matter how much experience the author has. If an author can't handle suggestions from an editor, maybe they should consider if writing is for them, or consider if they're better off not working with an editor. And writers always have the option to find an editor they feel suits them better. I hear what you're saying though.

Many writers out there -- based on my own experience -- seem to be protective and a bit fearful of what an editor will say. They sort of want help and advice and sort of don't. And I have encouraged several to consider that if they don't want help with their story, then yes, they shouldn't give it to anyone to edit, or they should be very specific about only wanting copy editing.

Before I work with a writer, I explain how I work, that I usually do two rounds and a final proofing. I haven't had anyone say they couldn't handle this method. Now, if a writer does end up having trouble with the way I work, I would hope they would feel free enough to tell me. I let them know that if there's anything they're not comfortable with or have questions about, to let me know, but that in the end, they're the writer, the story is theirs, and they have the final say in what edits they accept or reject. I may not like what they reject, but it's not my story.

I think my problem here would be that I'd find that a little presumptuous. I mean, personally I tend to do much the same. I ask someone to beta read/edit, and then often ask for a quick read again after changes, usually to catch any lingering typos. But it's not up to us, as volunteers to do two rounds (or one or three) and a final proofing; that's up to the writers, if they want to go along with such a thing. And yes, I'd hope if a writer didn't like my method or process, they'd tell me. Nicely, I'd hope, but hey.

Yes, in that sense we are teachers. But I do not feel I am the type of teacher who is giving final approval to anything. I hope I do help and teach people to improve their writing, even if only at a technical level.

That works.

Many writers out there -- based on my own experience -- seem to be protective and a bit fearful of what an editor will say. They sort of want help and advice and sort of don't. And I have encouraged several to consider that if they don't want help with their story, then yes, they shouldn't give it to anyone to edit, or they should be very specific about only wanting copy editing.

I agree. Protective is a good way to describe some I worked with as well.

I think my problem here would be that I'd find that a little presumptuous. I mean, personally I tend to do much the same. I ask someone to beta read/edit, and then often ask for a quick read again after changes, usually to catch any lingering typos. But it's not up to us, as volunteers to do two rounds (or one or three) and a final proofing; that's up to the writers, if they want to go along with such a thing. And yes, I'd hope if a writer didn't like my method or process, they'd tell me. Nicely, I'd hope, but hey.

You hear a bit of everything when helping others. :)

I don't see where presumption comes in with my method of editing. The writer tells me what he/she wants, which is usually copy editing--which is what I do. Copy editing is correcting for all mechanical errors, not some. I tell the writer how I work--and this information is in my editor profile, so the writers who contact me via the VE list know how I work. And I send my profile link to most of the writers I work with when they contact me, if they haven't seen my profile.

I don't recall any restrictions for VE's that they only edit a certain way or only do one reading. If writers don't want to work with an editor who edits the way I do--and given that they're adults--they can simply say they'd prefer to find another editor. It wouldn't hurt my feelings, or my schedule.

Track Changes, Comment issues

Anyone ever have the comment issues in Track Changes, where instead of the text that has been selected for the comment being highlighted, pages of text are highlighted? I sent an edited document to the writer, and all was fine and normal on my end. He sends it back with the issue I'm talking about, but doesn't mention anything weird. When I see the issue on my end, it drives me nuts because it's distracting. So I email my writer asking him if he'd had any issues on his end. He says when he received the doc from me, it had the issue. Maybe it didn't drive him nuts.

Anyway, what I ended up doing to clear the comment highlighting, was delete the comments, after making notations, and it wasn't until I deleted the last comment (probably around 20), that the highlighting finally disappeared.

I did a google search for this issue, but so far haven't come across anything about this.

He's not using Word from a computer. He's using a generic wp app on a tablet, I think.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

PS The doc is 100 pages.

Last edited:
Just a quick query...

I'm wondering if it's possible for an editor to look at work already submitted?
I'd like to clean up a few of my stories and perhaps expand on a couple, I've started editing them but it seems rather pointless if I'm missing the errors every time.
Plus there's the UK thing...:rolleyes:

Back