A Gallimaufry For The Lackadaisical Logophile

tumblr_pcg1kzYtLG1qz6f9yo1_500.gif




DESIDERIUM

[noun]
1- longing, desire, wish.
2- grief, regret.
3- need, necessity.
4- (In plural) pleasures, desires.



AGONOTHYMIA

[noun]
emotional conflict; the state of having contradictory or conflicting feelings.



WAYMENT

[verb]
lamentation; grief; mourning; expressions of anguish.



LUGENT

[adjective]
mournful; feeling, expressing, or inducing sadness, regret, or grief; weeping.
 
tumblr_p9s6kydZzP1r47bczo1_500.jpg




PLACID

[adjective]
pleasantly calm or peaceful; unruffled; tranquil; serenely quiet or undisturbed.



HALCYON

[adjective]
1- calm; peaceful; tranquil.
2- rich; wealthy; prosperous.
3- happy; joyful; carefree.
4- of or pertaining to the halcyon or kingfisher.



ATARAXIA

[noun]
a Greek term used by Pyrrho and Epicurus for a lucid state, characterised by freedom from worry or any other preoccupation; a state of freedom from emotional disturbance and anxiety; tranquillity; serenity.



LEGGIADROUS

[adjective]
graceful and elegant.
 
tumblr_pcss79IhBK1vcaitdo1_540.gif




PLUVIOPHILE

[noun]
a person who loves / takes comfort from rain



DENDROPHILE

[noun]
a person who loves trees, forests



CERAUNOPHILE

[noun]
a person who loves lightening and thunder



SELENOPHILE

[noun]
a person who loves the moon
 
tumblr_nq96ocyFsP1r4ibs7o2_r1_500.gif




SULTRY

[adjective]
1- oppressively hot and close or moist; sweltering.
2- oppressively hot; emitting great heat.
3- by or associated with sweletering heat.
4- characterised by or arousing passion.



EUTHERMIC

[adjective]
1- producing or creating heat or warmth.
2- having, being, or maintaining an optimal temperature.



AESTIVATE [aka ESTIVATE]

[verb]
1- to spend the summer, as at a specific place or in a certain activity.
2- Zoology: to spend a hot, dry season in an inactive, dormant state, as certain reptiles, snails, insects, and small mammals.



PYROGENATION

[noun]
subjection to heat; exposure to high temperatures.
 
Oooh, look at dat ash!

tumblr_inline_p926yupr4G1ucv4gh_500.jpg




OBJECT SEXUALITY or objectophilia is a form of sexuality focused on particular inanimate objects. Those individuals with this expressed preference may feel strong feelings of attraction, love, and commitment to certain items or structures of their fixation.



MECHANOPHILIA (or mechaphilia) is a paraphilia involving a sexual attraction to machines such as bicycles, motor vehicles, helicopters, ships, and aeroplanes.



DENDROPHILIA (or less often arborphilia or dendrophily) literally means "love of trees". The term may sometimes refer to a paraphilia in which people are sexually attracted to or sexually aroused by trees. This may involve sexual contact or veneration as phallic symbols or both.



AGALMATOPHILIA is a paraphilia involving sexual attraction to a statue, doll, mannequin or other similar figurative object. The attraction may include a desire for actual sexual contact with the object, a fantasy of having sexual (or non-sexual) encounters with an animate or inanimate instance of the preferred object, the act of watching encounters between such objects, or sexual pleasure gained from thoughts of being transformed or transforming another into the preferred object.



PLUSHOPHILIA is a paraphilia involving stuffed animals. Most Plushopiles modify their Plushies with a hole or holes reminiscent of those found in sex toys, to allow them to sexually interact with their Plushies.
 
tumblr_pfzcchjwM41qav5oho1_500.jpg




AGRYPNIA

[noun]
1- vigil; a period of purposeful sleeplessness, an occasion for devotional watching, or an observance.
2- persistent loss of sleep; insomnia; sleeplessness.



OSCITANCY

[noun]
1- the state of being drowsy, lazy, negligent or inattentive.
2- yawning, as with drowsiness.



INSOMNOLENCE

[noun]
sleeplessness; insomnia; restlessness.



ZOLPIDEM

[noun]
(sold under the brand names Ambien, Ambien CR, Stilnox, and Sublinox) a prescription medication used for the treatment of insomnia, as well as some brain disorders. It works quickly (usually within 15 minutes) and has a short half-life (two to three hours). Zolpidem has not adequately demonstrated effectiveness in maintaining sleep (unless delivered in a controlled-release form); however, it is effective in initiating sleep.
 
Hallows Eve draws near

082b5f3eca9ba08a392068b87479de44.jpg




WANWEIRD

[noun]
misfortune; ill or unhappy fate.




MINACIOUS

[adjective]
menacing; threatening; something that threatens to cause evil, harm, injury, etc.




CERACEPHALUS

[noun]
a head possessing horns or horn-like growths




CALIGINOUS

[adjective]
misty; dim; dark; gloomy.
 
Last edited:
“It’s Halloween, everyone’s entitled to one good scare.” Brackett,Halloween (1978)

tumblr_m2hjx7gpfI1rtkbx5o1_500.gif




UMBRA

[noun]
1- shade; shadow; shadow; darkness; a dark area, especially the blackest part of a shadow from which all light is cut off.
2- the invariable or characteristic accompaniment or companion of a person or thing.
3- Astronomy: a) the complete or perfect shadow of an opague body, as a planet, where the direct light from a source of illumination is completely cut off. Compare penumbra. b) the dark central portion of a sunspot.
4- a phantom or shadowy apparition, as of someone or something not physically present; ghost; spectral image.



TIRROT

[noun/adjective]
1- to have a sharp sense of fear.
2- a sudden feeling of intense anxiety.



ABDABS

[noun]
British slang: extreme nervousness or anxiety; terror; heebie-jeebies.; the frights, also known as screaming abdabs.



ELDRITCH

[adjective]
unearthly, alien, supernatural, weird, spooky, eerie.
 
tumblr_lzo3t08jyN1r47bczo1_640.jpg




REBARBATIVE

[adjective]
1- fearsome; forbidding.
2- tending to irritate; repellent; repulsive; aversive.
3- unattractive and objectionable.



VRYKOLAKAS

[noun]
(Greek) variant vorvolakas or vourdoulakas - a harmful undead creature in Greek folklore. It has similarities to many different legendary creatures, but is generally equated with the vampire of the folklore of the neighbouring Slavic countries. While the two are very similar, blood-drinking is only marginally associated with the vrykolakas.



HIDRESEDACITY

[noun/verb/adjective]
1- a hideous seduction.
2- to be lured by a monster.
3- to be sexually attracted to a monster or succubus.
4- to feel attraction and revulsion simultaneously.



UNHEIMLICH

[adjective]
1- uncanny; mysterious; arousing superstitious fear or dread; uncomfortably strange.
2- creepy, eerie; strange and frightening.
3- incredible; so extraordinary as to seem impossible.






“It was autumn, the springtime of death. Rain spattered the rotting leaves, and a wild wind wailed. Death was singing in the shower. Death was happy to be alive."
~Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker




tumblr_ndpnw8ELEH1rg8fnmo1_400.gif
 
International Phonetic Alphabet

"In Part 1 of our Linguistics series, we introduced the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and talked about why it’s a great tool for language learners. Today we’re going to go a little deeper into what the IPA really is. I’m going to focus on what I found most useful as I was studying Arabic, and as I dabbled in learning German and Dutch. This is just an intro to understand the “bones” of the IPA so you can navigate it like a boss.


Here is a sweet infographic that shows the IPA symbol, place of articulation, and a corresponding word in English. Pronounce the words from left to right."



tumblr_p8myxwaHn71rwewyjo1_1280.jpg




SOURCE
 
tumblr_ny7mnyCN651r47bczo1_640.jpg




APRICITY

[noun]
the warmth of the sun in winter



PULLULATE

[verb]
1- to send forth sprouts, buds, etc.; germinate; sprout.
2- to breed, produce, or create rapidly.
3- to increase rapidly; multiply.
4- to exist abundantly; swarm; teem.
5- to be produced as offspring.



PREVERNAL

[adjective]
1- early flowering or leafing.
2- of or relating to the end of winter and the beginning of spring: occurring early in the growing season.
 
There’s something happening someplace

tumblr_mbneg3Bir91r47bczo1_1280.jpg




CAFUNÉ

[noun]
Brazilian Portuguese - the act of running your fingers through the hair of someone you love



SCURRYFUNGE

[verb]
Old English - A hasty tidying of the house when unexpected company is on their way over.



NEFELIBATA

[noun]
Portuguese - cloud-walker; one who lives in the clouds of their own imagination



WIDDERSHINS

[adverb]
Scottish - in a direction contrary to the sun’s course, considered as unlucky; counterclockwise; to walk around an object by always keeping it on the left, lefthandwise
 
tumblr_ov3nskmV161qz6f9yo1_500.jpg





DESISTANCE

[noun]
the act or state of desisting; cessation; to cease, as from some action or proceeding; stop.



VALEDICTION

[noun]
1- an act of bidding farewell or taking leave.
2- an utterance, oration, or the like, given in bidding farewell or taking leave; valedictory.



RELINQUO

[verb]
I abandon, I relinquish, I leave (behind).



ADIEU

[interjection]
1- good-bye; farewell.
[noun]
2- the act of leaving or departing; farewell.



:kiss:
 
Old post, I know, but I haven't been around much and HIDRESEDACITY deserves a comment.

- a hideous seduction

No idea when or how, but I am soooo working that into conversation next week. Ha! :cattail:

tumblr_lzo3t08jyN1r47bczo1_640.jpg




REBARBATIVE

[adjective]
1- fearsome; forbidding.
2- tending to irritate; repellent; repulsive; aversive.
3- unattractive and objectionable.



VRYKOLAKAS

[noun]
(Greek) variant vorvolakas or vourdoulakas - a harmful undead creature in Greek folklore. It has similarities to many different legendary creatures, but is generally equated with the vampire of the folklore of the neighbouring Slavic countries. While the two are very similar, blood-drinking is only marginally associated with the vrykolakas.



HIDRESEDACITY

[noun/verb/adjective]
1- a hideous seduction.
2- to be lured by a monster.
3- to be sexually attracted to a monster or succubus.
4- to feel attraction and revulsion simultaneously.



UNHEIMLICH

[adjective]
1- uncanny; mysterious; arousing superstitious fear or dread; uncomfortably strange.
2- creepy, eerie; strange and frightening.
3- incredible; so extraordinary as to seem impossible.






“It was autumn, the springtime of death. Rain spattered the rotting leaves, and a wild wind wailed. Death was singing in the shower. Death was happy to be alive."
~Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker




tumblr_ndpnw8ELEH1rg8fnmo1_400.gif
 
Apricate (1600s): to bask and revel in the sunshine.

Happy weekend.

Susie Dent (@susie_dent) June 29, 2019

Susie Dent ✓
Twitter › susie_dent

We’re charting the language of the body today, and one of the most
beautiful of all etymologies: The ‘pupil’ of the eye is from the Latin
‘pupilla’, ‘little doll’ - when we look into the eyes of another, we see
a tiny, doll-like reflection of ourselves.

6 hours ago
 
Word on the street

f767e7f58e2ca427ae58fa0dfcfa5f0a3a35ce95.jpg



MÅNGATA

[noun]
the roadlike reflection of moonlight on water.



BUMMEL

[verb]
saunter; stroll; to go or wander around at a leisurely pace.



VADE MECUM

[noun]
1- a favourite book carried everywhere.
2- a referential book such as a handbook or manual.
3- a useful object, constantly carried on one’s person.
Etymology: Latin vāde (go, walk), the second-person singular present active imperative of vādō (I go, I walk) + mēcum (with me), literally meaning “go with me!”.



QUALTAGH

[noun]
the first individual a person meets after exiting his or her house.
 
tumblr_pqj72eanrS1qz6f9yo1_500.jpg



RUSALKA

[noun]
Slavic mythology: (plural: rusalki or rusalky) a female ghost, water nymph, succubus, or mermaid-like demon that dwelt in a waterway. According to most traditions, the rusalki were fish-women, who lived at the bottom of rivers. In the middle of the night, they would walk out to the bank and dance in meadows. If they saw handsome men, they would fascinate them with songs and dancing, mesmerise them, then lead them away to the river floor to their death.



SELKIE

[noun]
(also known as silkies or selchies) mythological creatures found in Faroese, Icelandic, Irish, and Scottish folklore. The word derives from earlier Scots selich, (from Old English seolh meaning seal). Selkies are said to live as seals in the sea but shed their skin to become human on land. The legend apparently originated on the Orkney and Shetland Islands and is very similar to those of swan maidens.



SIRIN

[noun]
a mythological creature of Russian legends, with the head and chest of a beautiful woman and the body of a bird (usually an owl) along with an irresistible singing voice. According to myth, the Sirins lived “in Indian lands” near Eden or around the Euphrates River. These half-women half-birds are directly based on the Greek myths and later folklore about sirens.



ILLECEBROUS

[adjective]
alluring; attractive; enticing.
 
695a2ca0e7337b2b4edcd186175645504a364f53.jpg


SPAGYRIST

[noun]
1 - an alchemist
2 - A chemist, esp. one devoted to alchemistic pursuits
3 - one of a sect which arose in the days of alchemy, who sought to discover remedies for disease by chemical means. The spagyrists historically preceded the iatrochemists.


ELDRITCH

[adjective]
Unearthly, alien, supernatural, weird, spooky, eerie


LETHOLOGICA

[noun]
1 - The inability to remember the correct word
2 - The inability to remember the meaning of a word.
3 - A psychological disorder that inhibits an individuals ability to articulate his or her thoughts, by temporarily forgetting key words, phrases, or names in conversation.
 
Back
Top