The Cool Science Stuff Thread

'Monster' Solar Storm Erupts On the Sun

The sun unleashed a powerful flare Thursday (Feb.24) that – while not the strongest solar storm ever seen – let loose a massive wave of magnetic plasma in a dazzling display.

The solar flare kicked up a huge, twisting tendril of plasma that scientists call a solar prominence. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the flare in an eye-catching video, with mission scientists calling the eruption a "monster prominence."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20110226/sc_space/monstersolarstormeruptsonthesun

Eye-catching video: http://www******.com/10960-sun-whips-massive-flare.html

"Skeptics say Adam is not a scientist, because it requires human input and occasional intervention."

Human scientists also require input and occasional intervention from other humans. Does that mean they are not scientists?

Seems like a weak argument, probably indicative of a prejudice against artificial intelligence.
Good point.

Halyomorpha halys

These goddamn things are all over the place. Invasion by a non-native species!

Brown_marmorated_stink_bug_adult.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug

and its supposed to get worse! No natural enemies...

"Skeptics say Adam is not a scientist, because it requires human input and occasional intervention."

Human scientists also require input and occasional intervention from other humans. Does that mean they are not scientists?

Seems like a weak argument, probably indicative of a prejudice against artificial intelligence.

You may be right, but I would like to know more about what they mean when they say :"human input and occasional intervention."

Meanwhile: South Carolina scientist works to grow meat in lab

Last edited:

I read an article about growing your own meat a while back. They were projecting a countertop device in your kitchen, like one of the bread-makers. You could use tissue samples from yourself.

It will probably take quite a while to reach it, and to get it up to its full potential. They were talking about being able to "dial in" the specifications you wanted. Fat content, thickness, calories, a bunch of adjustable parameters. I'm not into food enough to remember them.

But it would be very interesting. I'm sure sailors would love it. And the Army as well. Reduces the need for supply convoys, always a good thing.

Makes me wonder, if they can grow meat, could they produce a fresh milk machine?

I read an article about growing your own meat a while back. They were projecting a countertop device in your kitchen, like one of the bread-makers. You could use tissue samples from yourself.

It will probably take quite a while to reach it, and to get it up to its full potential. They were talking about being able to "dial in" the specifications you wanted. Fat content, thickness, calories, a bunch of adjustable parameters. I'm not into food enough to remember them.

But it would be very interesting. I'm sure sailors would love it. And the Army as well. Reduces the need for supply convoys, always a good thing.

Makes me wonder, if they can grow meat, could they produce a fresh milk machine?

Or grow females bodies without brains, for pleasure purposes.

I would think so. If they could grow meat then I figure it wouldn't be long before they could grow a teat.

Back