Dark Receiver

Glen Kane

He looked at her,

"Something is bothering you. I can see that. Also I'm here to save you from human predators who are eying you in that dress you're wearing."

He gave a slight nod towards the guys seated at the table not far from them, one coughed and they all shifted nervously around at being caught.

"I'm here if you wish to talk about it, if not I will just stay to make sure you return safely to the theater."
 

"Something is bothering you. I can see that."


She didn't try to deny it, but she wondered if he had followed her or missed her or if he had found her by accident.

"Also I'm here to save you from human predators who are eying you in that dress you're wearing."

She followed his gaze noticing belatedly the attention her dress had drawn.
She shouldn't have left the theatre in costume, but hadn't even thought about it in her haste to leave the theatre: It was for that reason Glen had come after her she concluded.

"I'm here if you wish to talk about it, if not I will just stay to make sure you return safely to the theater."

She forced a smile reassured that he wasn't angry with her and touched by his concern.

"I'm sorry about the costume. I just had a few things to do ... well a few checks to make..."

She sipped at the black coffee, grimacing at it's harshness and at the fact it had gotten cold. Pushing it away she settled back and sighed considering whether to talk to him about it now or once she had confronted her parents.

"I guess I'm trying to work out how to play a scene..."

She told him cryptically whilst pulling out her phone and pressing a few buttons before handing it to Glen.

" ... with the capulets ... "

She watched him look down at the photograph of the house obviously not quite understanding.

"My house ... taken around 10 am ... "

She nodded as he noted the signficance of her words.
When she'd left that morning the FOR SALE sign had not been put in place.

"I checked with the estate agent. Seems we're moving ... "
 
Last edited:
Glen Kane

Moving...for some reason other than having to look for another cast member hit him hard in the gut. He handed her the phone and leaned back into the seat, he rested his forefinger on his upper lip, thumb resting on the side of his chin, his other hand's fingers tapping on the table,

"Have you come to a decision what you will do? Or do you wish to stand up to the monarch?"

He of course meant the violent confrontation between Juliet and her father, one that had left the young woman ready to kill herself.

"I don't want to lose you..."

He blurted this out,

"And that is not the producer talking."
 
She watched as he realised the enormity of what she had learned that morning.
For long moments thee was silence between them.

"Have you come to a decision what you will do? Or do you wish to stand up to the monarch?"

She shrugged. Her mind was still reeling! If her friend had not texted her then she wouldn't have known ... untiil she came home that evening ... She had been convinced there must be some explanation, some mistake, but the Estate Agent had confirmed her fears which suggested they must have been planning or at least considering this for at least a week.

"I don't want to lose you... And that is not the producer talking."

Clare impulsively reached out a hand and squeezed his.

"Thank you. That means alot ... "

She felt ridiculously happy that his concern for her went beyond that of producer.

"As for a decision ... they obviously expect me to up-sticks and follow them ... which I'm not going to do ... "

Her voice was quiet, but determined.

"I just have to work out the practicalities ... "

She laughed at the irony.

"... that's all .... so far I've considered... sleeping bag in the theatre... "

She quipped before coming serious again.

"Actually ... I think I have an idea as to how I'm going to play out the first scene this evening ... "

She grinned.

"Good thing I'm playing Juliet ... if this had been The Scottish Play, I'd be out for blood ... "
 
He shook his head,

"If you have decided to stay then I am very certain that I can make a plan for you for living arrangements."

He gave her hand a squeeze,

"Of course the contract is also something that will be able to help you financially through your study period."

He rubbed his thumb and forefinger over his eyes,

"It all depends on you, once I know what the final moves are I can help you further."
 

"If you have decided to stay then I am very certain that I can make a plan for you for living arrangements."


She smiled tremulously as he squeezed her hand, his kindness bring the start of unexpected tears to her eyes.

"Of course the contract is also something that will be able to help you financially through your study period.
It all depends on you, once I know what the final moves are I can help you further."


She took a shuddering breath and toyed with the neglected shortbread as she responded.

"I can't believe they've done this ... everything seemed so good last evening ... and... they had this planned all the time ... "

She raised her eyes to his, the anger had returned, but unshed tears still swam in them.

"How can they do that to me? Just make a decision like that and say nothing... no worse.... deliberately hide the fact....!?!"

Her voice had risen slightly, drawing the attention of the guys still seated in the cafe.
Some part of her realised ironically that to the observer this might look like a lover's tiff. Another time she would have found that amusing; as it is, she merely lowered her voice.

"Sorry ... are you sure you still want to offer me that contract?
I haven't even looked at it properly since you gave it me ... "


She admitted bitterly realising that it was her parents had prevented her from having time to do that also ...

" ... and it feels like I seem to bring nothing but complications with me ... "
 
He smiled at her,

"I am sure that I want you to have the contract, you have a lot of raw potential, I think you will make it big in the business."

He patted her hand gently as it lay on the table,

"I get the feeling that this all started when you got the part in the play, the moment you ventured outside of the protected environment they had created this started. Tell me, did any freak accidents or deaths occur when you went to school?"
 
"I am sure that I want you to have the contract, you have a lot of raw potential, I think you will make it big in the business."

Slowly the impact of Glen's words sank in. Kind as he was, Claire knew that Glen would not say something like that unless he really believed it.

"I get the feeling that this all started when you got the part in the play, the moment you ventured outside of the protected environment they had created this started.

She nodded. Her parents had opposed her interest in the theatre from the begninng. Her success had made them worse rather than better.

"Tell me, did any freak accidents or deaths occur when you went to school?"

His question took her by surprise.

"Accidents happen ... "

She replied slowly considering.

"... even in school ... I remember ... stuff happening but ... "

She shrugged.

"Everyone has things like that happen in life. I mean look at the stories in the local paper recently ... and then Elron's fire ... not to mention your ghost ..."

She watched his reaction to her words and assumed that he had asked to suggest a reason for her parent's behaviour.

"My parents freak out if something happens 'close to home', always have, but you can't go around in fear of 'what if' ... "
 
He nodded,

"True things happen, but did these things happen to people directly in contact with you? Like Elron was in contact with you, but he would have been dead if he was not delayed at the park."

I frowned,

"I think your parents knows a lot about this, that is why they are pulling stakes and moving when you stand on your own legs. Did you move a lot?"
 
"True things happen, but did these things happen to people directly in contact with you? Like Elron was in contact with you, but he would have been dead if he was not delayed at the park."

Claire wasn't sure what Glen was getting at.

"I think your parents knows a lot about this, that is why they are pulling stakes and moving when you stand on your own legs. Did you move a lot?"

She didn't follow his logic, but something made her uncomfortable with the way the conversation was going.

"I don't see how contact with me has any relevance to what happened to Elron or to my parents moving house ... "

She shifted uncomfortably and glanced at her watch.

"We're going to be late back if we don't head off ..."

She pulled her bag onto her shoulder reluctant to discuss the matter further.

"I'll see what the situation is this evening and then make some decisions..."
 
He looked at her and got to his feet,

"If you wish to do so, but you know where to find me if you ever need help."

He picked up her jacket and held it to her,

"I even have a very nice sofa for ladies who need to elope."

He gave her a smile and picked up the shortbread, scarfing it down and picking up the cold coffee he started to drink that as well.

"Ok let's go do that play."
 

"If you wish to do so, but you know where to find me if you ever need help.
I even have a very nice sofa for ladies who need to elope.
Ok let's go do that play."


She eased into her jacket and watched him finish off her meagre lunch.
Following him out of the coffee shop she commented.

"Elope? ... I'd need a fiance to do that ... and welcome as help might be, that's a sacrifice too far for you to make ... "

She blushed at the direction her words had taken her.

"Besides, the way you were talking surely you'd be safer if I kept away from you and ... even your play ... "

She hadn't liked the way his questions had been leading and was still upset by the conclusions he had begun drawing ...

If her were at all serious, then... perhaps she should move on ...
 
Last edited:
He chuckled,

"You don't need a fiancée to elope, you can elope with a newly met acquaintance as well. And trust me, back in the days when the tradition of eloping started, I would be meeting you in secret now, trying to win your heart and spirit you away when your father withholds his blessing."

He held the door for her and followed out after her,

"I don't think it's just being near you that triggers whatever gets triggered, because then the whole cast would be wiped out by now. It is when something is done or said and your parents will know what, of that I'm sure."

He slipped and arm around her shoulder as she walked by his side and gave her a hug,

"I hope you stay, I still have to give you the grand tour of my cuisine park and of course see if you can steal my heart with your own skills."

He gave her a cheeky grin
 
"You don't need a fiancée to elope, you can elope with a newly met acquaintance as well. And trust me, back in the days when the tradition of eloping started, I would be meeting you in secret now, trying to win your heart and spirit you away when your father withholds his blessing."

His words were light as he chuckled, but Claire could not help but be surprised by the direction his words were taking. Glen was much more than a "newly met acquaintance", as was Elron, but somehow it was not Elron in her thoughts.

"I don't think it's just being near you that triggers whatever gets triggered, because then the whole cast would be wiped out by now. It is when something is done or said and your parents will know what, of that I'm sure."

She shook her head worriedly at his assumption that she was some jinx to those around her and could not imagine that her parents had any knowledge of what might 'activate' a sequence of accidents or events which could be nothing more than coincidence and not linked to her at all.

As if sensing her disquiet, Glen gave her a hug, which though reassuring did nothing to imply that Glen had been less than 100% serious in his comments.

"I hope you stay, I still have to give you the grand tour of my cuisine park and of course see if you can steal my heart with your own skills."

The grin he threw her made it clear that his jinx theory had not put him off her, in fact far from it if his words were to be believed.

"I think you're safe from heart stealing ... "

She murmured with a sigh, not intending to sound so regretful.

"I ... just don't know what to think anymore ... "

She walked silently beside him covering the short distance to the theatre.
Upset as she was by her parents, the prospect of having to leave the play and not being able to work with Glen was weighing heavier upon her thoughts ...

She hung back as Glen moved forward calling the company together to launch into the afternoon's rehearsals. Almost with detachment Claire hung back watching the others spring forward eager to follow instructions and to give their director just what he wanted. How could she choose not to be part of this ....
But then ... she had made such good friends, how could she stay if it was due in some way to her that bad luck happened to at least some of the people around her?
 
He was pleased with the cast, they were getting their positions and most of the dialogue was still read, but at least there was passion and personality emerging from the words, not just the words. That meant that half of his battle was over, now they had to drill it until it all came natural, until they believed in their own characters. He was standing on the edge of the stage looking at the interaction between Claire and the man playing the older Capulet, of course not too much violence went into the scene as the dress was still quite new and the reluctance showed.

"OK people, I know you love your job, but it's quitting time."

He lightly jumped from the stage and went over to his bag, collecting his things from the chairs surrounding the bag.
 
She was actually hungry ... and she hadn't expected to be. It had nothing to do with delaying tactics and putting off her return home, but as Claire put her script into her bag she decided that she would catch a later bus after having gotten something to eat before that. If nothing else, it meant she didn't have to endure a painful meal sat around the table with her parents.

She glanced across at the group as they began to break up and go their separate ways. She had managed to avoid speaking with Elron at any length that afternoon. She had originally meant to ask him for advice about the contract, but given the current situation Claire knew there were other things to sort out before even considering the detail of the contract terms ..

She saw Elron cross over to speak with Glen and hoped that he hadn't picked up on her change of mood and reluctance to engage in conversation. She didn't want to offend him, but somehow she had found Glen easier to confide in, which now she thought about it was strange given that Elron had already visited her home and met her parents ... She had managed to maintain a level of performance throughout that afternoon and identified more than ever in Juliet's issues with her parents but inexperienced as she was Claire still knew that her performance was below par.

Much as it pained her, she had to put the theatre and the play and Juliet aside for a while and deal with the reality she had to face at home. A meal somewhere would help her to consider her options rationally .... before she was thrown into the maelstrom that was her relationship with her parents ...
 
Glen slung his bag over his shoulder and stopped as Elron stopped on the steps close to him,

"Is it just me or did Claire's attitude and performance change after her outside excursion?"

Glen smiled at his old friend,

"Nothing escapes you Batman. Yes it did, but nothing personal, a bit of personal issues at home. I think she will be fine if she sort it out, which I think she will."

Elron pushed his glasses into position,

"She'll stay on?"

Glen nodded,

"I gathered as much from her, I hope so, she's perfect for the role and I'm certain without her we will struggle to get this play as good as I wish it to be."

Elron sighed and adjusted his backpack's straps,

"So it all depends on her?"

Glen nodded,

"Yes, indeed it does."

"Well then boss, see you tomorrow."

Glen nodded and shook the offered hand, taking the keys from his belt he headed for the door, seeing Claire still looking forlorn as she headed for the entrance as well. At the door he gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze,

"I'm here if you need me alright?"
 
Claire loitered long enough for Elron to leave the theatre just before her. Picking up her bag she made her way to the exit as Glen, last out as ever followed her obviously keen to lock up after a long day.

"I'm here if you need me alright?"

She smiled up at the supportive touch on her shoulder.

"I know ... "

She responded softly watching as he locked the doors, smiling as he double checked them as he always did. The theatre routine, the people were becoming familiar and even though inspiring and unpredictable they offered Claire a routine, a sense of belonging and feeling settled that she could not remember experiencing before.

Aware she was daydreaming, Claire shook herself and turned the opposite direction of the bus stop. She had decided she would head for the pizza place further down Main Street, eat and reflect on the method she had all but decided on to deal with this situation then finally head home...
 
He watched her as she walked down the road, according to the schedule if she was to go out and probably eat something as there was not really any other shops for her to visit. He walked over to his bike, taking it off it's stand he pushed it over to the bus stop, he was going to wait for her, just in case she missed her bus. He placed the bike back on it's stand and settled down on the bench, pulling out papers from his bag he started to read in the light shining from the roof of the waiting booth.
 
Claire checked her watch as she entered the italian eatery. She was too preoccupied to have any concern about eating alone. At least this time her costume was safely stowed away so she didn't attract undue attention. Ordering a simple bread and oil/vinegar appetiser, Claire decided to opt for the 4 seasons pizza and settled back to drink the still water she had ordered as she contemplated her plan of action.

To her it seemed obvious that her parents would expect a scene, would perhaps go on the defensive and attempt to justify not just their actions, but their secrecy so Claire decided she was not going to give them the satisfaction! She smiled as she considered how they would react to her walking past the for sale sign, into the house and then up to her room without comment. They might suppose that she did not see it in the dark and would no doubt attempt to broach the subject the following morning ... when they did ... well she had a couple of options to consider as she ate her pizza decididng that in this case the plot could go one of two directions and that she would wait until she saw how that scene played out before deciding how to handle it ...

By the time she had eaten a decadent tiramisu and topped it with her inevitable capuccino it was clear to Claire that whatever happened she would be moving out of the family home at the earliest opportunity ...

Ironically, she actually had a smile on her face as she made her way towards the bus stop about an hour later. She checked her watch pleased that she was in good time for the next service when looking up she noticed Glen seated on a nearby bench.

"Glen!... What are you doing out here ...?"

She glanced back at the theatre and though she could not see anything amiss, she was immediately concerned.

"There hasn't been an accident has there?"

She queried, Glen's words having made an impact on it that lunch time...
 
Glen Kane

"Glen!... What are you doing out here ...? There hasn't been an accident has there?"

Her voice brought him out of his reverie, he looked up to find Claire standing not to far from him, by now he was sitting with his back against the wall, feet on the bench and the bike just within sight. He glanced at his watch,

"Oh no...no accident, just thought to hang around just in case you got so per-occupied that you missed the last bus, then at least you would have a lift."

He smiled and marked the page he was on, closing the ledger and sliding it into his bag,

"I see you have made it in time and from that glimmer in your eye I guess you were smiling before you saw me. I take it you have a plan of action as well?"
 
"Oh no...no accident, just thought to hang around just in case you got so per-occupied that you missed the last bus, then at least you would have a lift."

Claire was amazed to see Glen and even more so when she realised why he had waited for her. If she had only known they could have eaten together ... but then she had needed that space to come to her own conclusions about her home situation.

"I see you have made it in time and from that glimmer in your eye I guess you were smiling before you saw me. I take it you have a plan of action as well?"

She laughed. He was too perceptive for her own good.

"I do ... and I've made some key decisions."

She smiled confident now in her plan of action as Glen had called it.

"I guess the main help I'll need from you is finding somewhere to live.
However things go at home, I've decided that I'm moving out at the earliest opportunity ... so if you have any ideas...?"
 
Glen Kane

He smiled,

"Actually I do, if you are willing to put up with my awful cooking and Elron's obsession to sing while taking a bath, I actually have a room open. It will be for a few days at the most and then I am sure that with enough hunting a new house will open up for you."

He slid the bag onto his back,

"Also if you would want to go the Elron way, survive a gas main explosion and you can stay longer as I dress your wounds."

He made a show of inspecting her legs and hips,

"Of course I will find your derrier much more delightful to work with."

He grinned at her,

"I could offer you a quick lift home?"
 
"Actually I do, if you are willing to put up with my awful cooking and Elron's obsession to sing while taking a bath, I actually have a room open. It will be for a few days at the most and then I am sure that with enough hunting a new house will open up for you."

She was surprised at his generous offer. It wasn't what she had expected, even short term and as Glen said, he was living with Elron and she wasn't quite sure how he would take to her presence.

"Also if you would want to go the Elron way, survive a gas main explosion and you can stay longer as I dress your wounds."

The shudder his words caused was brought short by his comic inspection of her body.

"Of course I will find your derrier much more delightful to work with.
I could offer you a quick lift home?"


She nodded accepting the lift.

"I'd like that, but much as I'd like to move out as soon as possible, perhaps you should update Elron on .... my situation ... and check how he'd feel about me being around, even for a few days ... "

She accepted the spare helmet and moved towards the proferred bike.

"But don't joke about accidents and explosions ... some of that is hitting just too close to home at the moment ... "

She commented as they pulled away and made easy work of heading along the quiet streets, the only drawback of which was that she found herself outside her home quicker than she had intended having directed Glen to stop out front, no longer caring what her parents thought about her riding on the back of a bike. In acting as they had they had lost the right to dictate to her about her behaviour and decisions.

Climbing off the bike, she handed the helmet back to Glen and nodded towards the FOR SALE sign with a grimace.

"Subtle huh? And I can just feel their eyes watching ... "

She didn't turn, but was sure the curtains would be twitching. She could imagine her parents' impatience to see her reaction being overtaken by the concern at the sight of her riding on a bike. She actually laughed as she shook her head.

"Ok ... cue operation coventry ... they might as well move there, cos as far as I'm concerned I have nothing to discuss with them from now on ..."

She met his eyes steadily feeling unexpectedly calm and in control for the first time in her life. She fleetingly considered that this was how Juliet must have felt when she concocted the plan to take the potion rather than submit to her parents' dictates.

"... wish me luck ... "

She told Glen softly.

" ... once more into the breach ..."
 
Glen Kane

He got off of the bike with her, removing his own helmet and received the spare from her, he secured it to the bike and glanced passed her at the sign and shook his head slowly.

"As subtle as a baseball bat to the face."

He smiled at her quote,

"Well since they are watching and you did just quote the writer of ye old poems..."

He hugged her and then held her at arm's length,

"You will do great and I will see you tomorrow."

He gave her a subtle wink and slipped on his helmet again, securing it, he got onto his bike,

"Oh and do read the contract tonight."

He started the bike and with a small wave drove off
 
Back
Top