Word limit on submissions?

BuckyDuckman

Literotica Guru
I usually copy and paste my submissions into the online submission system. I'm sure there's a limit to how many words can fit there. So, two questions:

1) Anyone know what the approximate word/character limit is to the online submission system?

2) How should I submit a longer piece (novella length) without breaking it up into arbitrary chapters? I'm guessing I should send the submission as an attachment.

2b) If an attachment is best, any guidance for the preferred format to make it easiest on the site screeners? I write in Word, but I include HTML mark-up as needed for italics or bold, etc.

Thanks!

As far as I know, there is no limit to the cut-and-paste submission box. I've never had a problem nor have I ever seen a limit listed.

I've never heard there was a limit either. This could probably be tested out by seeking the most Lit. page numbers of stories that made it through in a single entry--perhaps in the "Novels" section. But that would take effort. You could always ask Laurel directly by PM. Unless/until the premise is confirmed, there isn't too much reason to speculate how that premise spins out.

As far as I know, there is no limit to the cut-and-paste submission box. I've never had a problem nor have I ever seen a limit listed.

I know I've encountered one before on a submission. I don't remember which one or how long it was. I try to limit myself to under 10K words, so it would have to be bigger than 10K, just not sure where. Maybe I'll PM Laurel. I've never had a reason to do so, but this seems like a maybe.

Probably doesn't help that I posted this to the story feedback forum... I was aiming for the AH forum! Goofy me.

Last edited:
In a quick check of the Novel category, I found a single entry with 7 Lit. pages. That's something over 23,000 words right there.

In a quick check of the Novel category, I found a single entry with 7 Lit. pages. That's something over 23,000 words right there.

PM'ing Laurel, as you suggested, is probably easier.

There's no way to tell how a story was submitted, right? I mean, cut-and-paste v. a file submitted? I was just thinking that I know there are stories that run longer than 7 pages, but they could have been submitted as a .doc or .rtf file or whatever. Which wouldn't answer the question on limits in the story submission box.

PM'ing Laurel, as you suggested, is probably easier.

There's no way to tell how a story was submitted, right? I mean, cut-and-paste v. a file submitted? I was just thinking that I know there are stories that run longer than 7 pages, but they could have been submitted as a .doc or .rtf file or whatever. Which wouldn't answer the question on limits in the story submission box.

Nor which type of submission works best for the screeners. I send Laurel a PM. I'll report back my findings.

Well, you can lift that 10,000 words thought higher for cut and paste into the text block. My Winter Contest story, "Scrambled Holiday," is over 15,000 words (5 Lit. pages) and that's the method I used.

And here is Laurel's answer -

Thanks for writing, and I hope you are well.

1) There is no maximum word limit that I'm aware of, or that we've hit technologically. The limit to what you can cut and paste into the form wil vary by browser, but we can accept .docs, .txts, etc. of anything length.

2) If you want the work posted as one submission, please submit it as one piece in one submission form. We do not break larger works into separate submissions. We publish stories as they are submitted to us by the author.

Some authors prefer to post chapter by chapter because they feel it's better for readers. Others post full-length novels complete in one submission because they feel that's the way the work should be read. We're fine either way. It's entirely the author's choice.

3) If you use bolds and/or italics, then either a Word .doc or Rich Text (.rtf) is best.

I guess, if I encountered a limit during a submission, it was a browser thing, not a Lit thing. Thanks for everyone's help!

Just thought I'd chime in...

I actually read a story just yesterday with 19 pages (or screens if you prefer). Sorry, but I don't recall the story or author off the top of my head. I only remember the number of pages because somewhere around 12, I said "Good lord, how long IS this?" and pulled down the drop down arrow at the bottom to check.

I actually read a story just yesterday with 19 pages (or screens if you prefer). Sorry, but I don't recall the story or author off the top of my head. I only remember the number of pages because somewhere around 12, I said "Good lord, how long IS this?" and pulled down the drop down arrow at the bottom to check.

I believe that estragon has posted before that an author he likes, Dreamweaver99 or something like that, has a story that is over 30 Lit pages. So the limit keeps climbing. :)

Colleen Thomas cut and pasted a 27/9 lit page sci-fi novella with no problems.

Doesn't any restriction depend more on the capacity of your word processing program's copy function than lit?

There is a 42 page lit story in the incest section which at a rough count would be about 162k words. So I'm not thinking there is a limit here.

Back