A Gallery: Delights & Splendors of Cascadia

cascadiabound

MrTs barmaid
Joined
Aug 11, 2015
Posts
26,512
Welcome to Cascadiabound's Gallery

"This thread is exquisite hardcore green porn." DGE
I imagine this thread to be a place to post pictures of the “Delights and Splendors of Cascadia” –
landscapes and vistas; sunrises and beaches; flora and fauna; urban and wilderness; art and science; poetry and prose.
Anything and everything that is of and from this amazing corner of the world that is my soul’s home.

If you are lucky enough to live in this bioregion – please feel free to post your pictures here.
If you come to visit… post the pictures you take along the way.
This thread is a celebration of all things Cascadia.

What or where is Cascadia?


Nestled between the North Pacific Ocean and the Continental Divide
of the North American Continent lays a complex region formed from
ongoing geological events and continuous climatic factors.
Large mountain ranges reach into the skies to catch the moisture of the Pacific on its way east.
The Columbia, the Willamette and the Frazer rivers and the complex watersheds run and cut through
the basalt and granite mountains of the region providing rich alluvium soil and riparian habitat.
All the regional rivers, streams and creeks eventually flow back to the Pacific.
It is a region rich in biodiversity, history and cultures.

Cascadia-Map-big.png


f2a4ea1d2e276f2aecb9d747d23f9bf7.jpg

God's Pocket, BC

Carmanah_Lighthouse.jpeg

Carmanah Light House, BC

Great_Blue_Heron_page_image.jpg

morning great blue heron

I hope you enjoy and visit often :heart::heart::heart:
 
Last edited:
Here are some recent photos of mine.
I'm a big flower photo person, so if you see the trend being toward flowers you'll know why. lol
Some rhodies
d8rvp58


A day lily
d41jfn1


Flowering plum flowers
d7b1c8c


Unique art of the Cascadia region :)
Waiting-520303633
 
Last edited:
Mink River by Brian Doyle – an exerpt

A town not big not small.

In the hills in Oregon on the coast.

Bounded by four waters: one muscular river. Two shy little creeks, one ocean.

End of May – the first salmonberries are just ripe.

Not an especially stunning town, stunningtownwise – there are no ancient stone houses perched at impossible angles over eye popping vistas with little old ladies in black shawls selling goat cheese in the piazza while you hear Puccini faintly in the background sung by a stunning ravine-haired teenage girl who doesn’t yet know the power and poetry of her voice not to mention her everything else.

No houses crying out to be the cover of a magazine that no one actually reads anyway and the magazine ends up in the bathroom and then is cut to ribbons for a fourth-grade collage project that uses a jar of rubber cement that was in the drawer by the back stairs by the old shoebox and the jar of cement is so old that you wonder secretly if it fermented or a mouse died in it or what.

No buildings on the National Resister of Hysterical Places, though there are some old houses. The oldest of which finally collapses on page 141; no cheating ahead to watch it slump like ice cream at noon, please.

But there are some odd sweet corners here. And friendly houses and sheds and barns and a school and churches and shops, and certain rhythmic angles in the town where a road and a building and a line of trees intersect to make a sort of symmetrical geometric architectural textural physical music in the right light – the kind of juxtaposition of things that painters like to paint for inchoate inarticulate unconscious reasons they can’t explain.

And the light itself – well there’s a certain certainness of light here, the way it shafts itself through and around things confidently, exuberantly, densely, substantively; it has something to do with the nearby ocean, maybe. Or the rain, which falls eight months a year. Or the sheer jungle energy of trees and plants here, where the flora release so many feminine ions that the light fractures into geometric patterns that are organized along magnetic lines coherent with the tides and sometimes visible to the naked eye.

Really and truly.
 
Last edited:
I love Dale Chihuly's work! I have been fortunate to see quite a few of his pieces/installations.
 
Back
Top