How to store old vinyl records

Stored up-right, not in direct sun light, best at 60 to 70 degrees.
The original paper sleeve is best, it conforms to the groves and helps protect them.
 
On a bonfire, it’s a lie told by many that you can’t really appreciate the sound unless it’s on vinyl.
 
Probably would not hurt if you started some sort of notebook where you could make notes about the stories she told you about pieces in the collection.


Heck, it might even evolve into a book!

If only I had listened more closely.

She and I were soul mates, but I had no interest in her job, and she had no interest in mine. My only reason for caring for this stuff is simply because it belonged to her. It's monetary value or music-history significance is of zero interest to me. Someday I will look to place it all with people who can appreciate it for what it is, but for now, I'm just going to hold onto it.
 
I have a few hundred records, and I store them vertically in record crates. The albums themselves are stored in sleeves to protect the covers from bumps, spills, and dust. The records are stored in their original paper sleeves. I still listen to mine, as the sound is so much better than digital, and I find I miss the hiss, crackle and pops from vinyl.
 
I have over 1,000 78 rpm records.

They are heavy and a fire risk. I store them vertically on racks in my carpeted and minimally heated garage. They all have their paper sleeves.
 
Thank You

I wanted to come in here and say, "Thank You!" to all of you for your responses. My husband ended up building shelves/cabinets similar to the picture Oggbashan posted, and they are working out very well. We have been listening to all the music, and I must say, I had no idea music could sound this good. It's amazing! All these years I've been listening to iTunes, Spotify, YouTube, etc. and I could of had this? Honestly, this is a whole new experience!

We just listened to "Me and Mrs. Jones," and I can't remember the singer's name, but his voice through all this stereo equipment is like he's right there! It's so incredible! And another is Sade's "Smooth Operator." I wish you could hear it! I'm just astounded!

And we listened to "I Ran" by A Flock of Seagulls, which I hadn't heard since I was in a nightclub in New York City, but with this stereo the energy of the music makes my chest hum!

I'm sorry. I know I'm rambling like an excited child, but I've never heard music like this before. It's just incredible.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you for your help. It has been much appreciated.
 
Back
Top