depressing fact of the day

rae121452

Literotica Guru
missing person demographics are compiled for every sub-group EXCEPT native american women. no one knows and no statistics are kept on how many disappear annually.

You know what's depressing? No one cared enough to even comment on this, and it was posted before rae changed his AV.
No wonder there's no Native demographic for missing persons. I assume there isn't one for Native men either? Smmfh :mad:

Want to know another depressing fact of the day? This thread will prolly disappear with little or no regard by posters the same way our Native sisters are disappearing in droves.I guess all lives don't matter.

I have had a little bit of experience with some legal issues regarding Native Americans and a couple of the reservations. It is truly sad. Women, especially young women and girls, do indeed disappear or turn up dead with little explanation. Unfortunately, the jurisdictional issues further complicate things. The feds and FBI are responsible for investigating major crimes on the reservations and they typically share very little or no information. There is a recent movie, "Wind River" that is a fictional story about a young Native woman found dead on the Wind River Reservation and the investigation. Its very good. I wont give away the plot. But parts of that movie are very accurate about showing how hopeless things can seem on the reservations. I don't know what the solution is or even if there is one.

I have had a little bit of experience with some legal issues regarding Native Americans and a couple of the reservations. It is truly sad. Women, especially young women and girls, do indeed disappear or turn up dead with little explanation. Unfortunately, the jurisdictional issues further complicate things. The feds and FBI are responsible for investigating major crimes on the reservations and they typically share very little or no information. There is a recent movie, "Wind River" that is a fictional story about a young Native woman found dead on the Wind River Reservation and the investigation. Its very good. I wont give away the plot. But parts of that movie are very accurate about showing how hopeless things can seem on the reservations. I don't know what the solution is or even if there is one.

So many Native women and girls were disappearing in Canada it took a concerted effort of First Nation's people protesting to bring it into the public eye. A Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women and Girls National Inquiry was established. While it has brought the issue into the public eye it seems a lot of jibber jabber by the provincial and federal gov'ts is all that has been accomplished. A large percentage of them disappear hitch hiking from far northern reservations, where there is no public transportation, to attend schools or look for work.

Last edited:
missing person demographics are compiled for every sub-group EXCEPT native american women. no one knows and no statistics are kept on how many disappear annually.

You often come up with more original threads.

And I'm not trying to flame or troll, but come to think of it, this particular minority group is strikingly absent from the rhetoric of the Left or Right massmedia.

They frequently fight about women, transgenders, African-americans, gay people, muslims (minority groups that are perceived to be oppressed or bad or inferior, depend on who you're talking to R or L), but almost never about Native Americans.

Why is that?

Last edited:
Not to demean these people or those close to them, but as a listener of CBC Radio, there are frequent references to M&MIW.

By the way, the PC term seems to be "indigenous" and the rest of us are "settlers."

Indigenous women aren't the only ones missing and murdered.

and while were at it slagging off Canada—as Candy Palmater seems to—most of the M&MIW are south of the Rio Grande. (As for those who've heard of Candi Palmater, did you know she's a lesbian?)

Want to know another depressing fact of the day? This thread will prolly disappear with little or no regard by posters the same way our Native sisters are disappearing in droves. I guess all lives don't matter.

tenor.gif

Rhetorical devices and other likewise reactive kneejerk jargon used to silence marginalized people when they speak truth to power never last very long.

Not to demean these people or those close to them, but as a listener of CBC Radio, there are frequent references to M&MIW.

By the way, the PC term seems to be "indigenous" and the rest of us are "settlers."

and while were at it slagging off Canada—as Candy Palmater seems to—most of the M&MIW are south of the Rio Grande. (As for those who've heard of Candi Palmater, did you know she's a lesbian?)

well, if we want to be totally pc, the correct term is american indian, which they prefer. i once asked an indian guy i knew why they didn't prefer "native american" and he said "Where were you born?".
i said, "right here", and he said, "so was i but your ancestors came from somewhere else originally and so did mine. we're all americans but we're also indians."

i never asked what he thought of "indigenous".

well, if we want to be totally pc, the correct term is american indian, which they prefer. i once asked an indian guy i knew why they didn't prefer "native american" and he said "Where were you born?".
i said, "right here", and he said, "so was i but your ancestors came from somewhere else originally and so did mine. we're all americans but we're also indians."

i never asked what he thought of "indigenous".

It would be better said as some may prefer that because that's what we were living with and grew up accepting as is, without spaces to hear the voices contesting it. Social networking changed all that. It's widely recognized as a colonizer term.

Change of colonized minds takes time, but it is effective as a long game. The nullified worship of Christopher Columbus is a good example.

The L and R Massmedia keep arguing about certain minority groups. (White men versus White women, Blacks versus Whites, Muslims versus Christiansversis Atheists, Transgenders versus Parents and Women re Restrooms or Primary School Curriculum).

While several of the issue that both te L and R Massmedia focus on are valid, the degree to which they do it and their tone are inordinate.
It’s as if they are trying to split thepopulation and increase divisiveness.

What’s even more striking amd strange is that none of the American, Canadian and Australian Massmedia give their displaced natives the same consideration as they give to other minority groups. (either to bash them - R - or to promote them).
They are only mentioned in Governmental anti-discriminatory comments or Academic publications.

Why do both the L and R massmedia avoid discussing about Native Americans?

Last edited:
Not to argue opinion but American Indian isn't preferred by most tribes. And some of us do believe all lives matter.

which is all well and good and you're welcome to argue semantics until hell freezes over, but none of that addresses what i posted about.

Not to argue opinion but American Indian isn't preferred by most tribes. And some of us do believe all lives matter.

Agreed. Up here most of the tribes prefer their Tribal name (Makah, Lummi, Suquamish, Haida) or First Nation. Native American is also acceptable to most.

Comshaw

which is all well and good and you're welcome to argue semantics until hell freezes over, but none of that addresses what i posted about.

Whoa! Testy we are! Ok, let's look at your OP. Since there are no complied statistics of missing Native American women and girls, why do you think that is? The FBI is the only agency, other then tribal, empowered to investigate anything on a reservation. They should be the ones to compile such things. Perhaps they just aren't doing their job.

Or maybe the disappearances aren't being reported to the FBI. I know from experience that most on the reservation are very suspicious of any outside agency poking around in their business. I can't really blame them. Historically native Americans have never been treated very well by the Feds, ever. Keep in mind that up to WWII ALL native American children were removed from their families and sent to a government school where they were not allowed to speak their native language, wear any tribal wear or participate in any tribal ceremonies. The Feds were attempting to school the native out of them.

And maybe the ruling cabal on the reservations (most reservation politics are very heavily into nepotism, a single family usually holds sway over most of the political offices) don't want the Feds interfering.

Which ever it is unless there is a hue and cry from inside you probably won't see any change, which is sad as hell.

Edited to add: I should have also said that the vast majority from the outside isn't going to give a damn, as usual when it comes to First Nation concerns.

Comshaw

Last edited:
This reminded me of the movie Bordertown (btw I never understood the criticisms of Jennifer Lopez's acting. Her warmth and dynamism just draw you in).

The movie is about the hundreds of unresolved female homicides from Ciudad Juárez.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_homicides_in_Ciudad_Juárez

They, too were an easy prey: unaccompanied women who came from everywhere to work at the Juarez factory.

Last edited:

Candy Palmater is a comedienne, she is controversial to draw attention to the plight of First Nation's people. I haven't heard her diss the MMIWG in any serious interview.
Of course there are more MMIWG south of the Rio Grande because the population is 10x what it is here.
The correct term up here, not the PC term, but the correct one, is First Nation's People or Indigenous Persons when speaking of them as a whole; Huron, Cree, Anishinaabe etc. when talking about individual tribes or people.
Of course I believe all lives matter or I wouldn't have bumped this thread but when it comes to the press they are either ignored or maligned.
I suppose it matters to me because I live amongst 7 rezs, mostly Anishinaabe, and I have found First Nations people to be calm, quiet and community driven with a desire to live a balanced, respectful existence with nature, quite the opposite of the way other cultures comport themselves.

Maybe because of Tribal sovereignty in the US- they generally deal with their own legal matters.

You're not the thought police. I post in regards to what inspires me. Just so we're clear, I am posting in regards to your snippy response with a fuck you. :rose:

You're not the thought police. I post in regards to what inspires me. Just so we're clear, I am posting in regards to your snippy response with a fuck you. :rose:

You wouldn't! And ignore me??? My heart is broken and I'm crushed!!!

:(:(:(

Comshaw

So what has the Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women and Girls National Inquiry found? Apparently, very little. It appears that to a large degree the cause was hijacked and utterly derailed by interest groups that have now impeded what was at least a legit attempt to do something. I know little of the situation in Canada with the missing indigenous. I do know a LITTLE about the more local issues here. And its complicated. But most of the crime, missing, murder (or negligent homicide/manslaughter) is local - ie other indigenous. Some is from the outside. Drug cartels infiltrated many of the reservations years ago with devastating results. Many of these people are incredibly vulnerable to that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Back