Realism in incest? Slippery slope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And frankly sometimes a lame-ass stroke story plot is sufficient. It's called suspension of disbelief. Porn is filled with it, nothing says incest has to be the exception.
I can think of distinct approaches to engineering that suspension of disbelief:

* The long, slow, inevitable attraction.
* Deliberate targeting and seduction.
* They just fell into it; it seemed natural.
* The inadvertent fuck; they didn't know they were related.
* The belated reunion; it's been a long time.
* Something snapped and they fucked.
* It was an accident; they slipped.
* Some mind-control or hypnosis trick.
* Others maneuvered them together.

Some of those work better if they're drunk or stoned. Two I *don't* like are:

* They saw each other naked and were overwhelmed with lust.
* It's a long family / community tradition, a rite of passage.

Yeah sure, those can be finessed, but still...
 
The guilt and shame afterward. Their bodies were naturally responding to chemical signals?
 
I've tried unsuccessfully to write some incest stories based on real experience. They get rejected. It's almost impossible not to trip the censors for many reasons.

And that's why most of these stories seem so fantastical. It's hard to relate something when you have to place it ten years in to the future and try to make it seem realistic.

I find that hard to believe. Lit is pretty lax with it's rules regarding story content. I mean, I've read several full-blown rape stories.

Give some examples of story aspects that are tripping the censors and causing your stories to be rejected.

I have a plausible incest story in the pipeline and I'll be pissed off if it gets rejected on the basis of it being "abusive" when rape stories seem acceptable.
 
Hmm...I think I've got three incest stories. One of them is just fantasy like I like to write, it could never happen, but I do try and write fantasy in a way it seems kinda legit. The other one is in no way possible and might even be convoluted. It might even been written based on a request in Story Ideas. The third is supposed to kinda be realistic and I'm trying to figure out how to wrap that up and get them together in a logical way. Sorta logical.

I found the appeal to incest a bit personal and fun to write because I have a cousin and sister I wouldn't mind fucking at least once. I don't see that happening with the way peoples minds are programed and conditioned.
 
Realism should differ between people just like insect

I agree and disagree with much of what's been posted, realism in a incest story and pull readers out of the story depending on the reader and writers idea of real.

I personally have sex with my mother and sister when we spend vacations or holidays together and my life is no fantasy, where are many things that go into making our relationship work.

While I agree that in story having a member of the family look at another and right away want them is a bit extreme my own experience is not that far off. My sister is a year younger than me and I remember that one day I suddenly saw her in a different lite and wanted her sexually. She is very beautiful and we were both teenagers at the time so I told her I wanted her and she agreed to have sex with me. No long drawn out complication was needed we just walked to her bed room and started having sex because it felt natural.

I know I was lucky and not many other people can relate to what happened to me but that is why when I want to bring realism into a story I build it around my characters and not what the reader or I thing would be real. You should always give you'r characters a deep background even if you don't put it in the story that way when you need them to be more real you have something to refer to.

My mother and my sex life took longer to start but we would be considered a normal mother son pair before that. It wasn't like we were overly close or anything and when she came to me and asked if she could have sex with me it wasn't like she had planned or agonized over the thought. I told her yes and let her know my sister and I had been for a few years already, she accepted us and we had a sexual relationship from then on.

To sum up realism and incest all depend on the what you would consider possible or could really happen, If you can't believe two people would just start having sex then you can't write in a way that it would be believable. What causes a reader to find a story unrealistic is how you present the situation and if they can accept that situation in there mind, if they over think it or have a questions then that will turn them away from the story.
 
I agree and disagree with much of what's been posted, realism in a incest story and pull readers out of the story depending on the reader and writers idea of real.

I personally have sex with my mother and sister when we spend vacations or holidays together and my life is no fantasy, where are many things that go into making our relationship work.

While I agree that in story having a member of the family look at another and right away want them is a bit extreme my own experience is not that far off. My sister is a year younger than me and I remember that one day I suddenly saw her in a different lite and wanted her sexually. She is very beautiful and we were both teenagers at the time so I told her I wanted her and she agreed to have sex with me. No long drawn out complication was needed we just walked to her bed room and started having sex because it felt natural.

I know I was lucky and not many other people can relate to what happened to me but that is why when I want to bring realism into a story I build it around my characters and not what the reader or I thing would be real. You should always give you'r characters a deep background even if you don't put it in the story that way when you need them to be more real you have something to refer to.

My mother and my sex life took longer to start but we would be considered a normal mother son pair before that. It wasn't like we were overly close or anything and when she came to me and asked if she could have sex with me it wasn't like she had planned or agonized over the thought. I told her yes and let her know my sister and I had been for a few years already, she accepted us and we had a sexual relationship from then on.

To sum up realism and incest all depend on the what you would consider possible or could really happen, If you can't believe two people would just start having sex then you can't write in a way that it would be believable. What causes a reader to find a story unrealistic is how you present the situation and if they can accept that situation in there mind, if they over think it or have a questions then that will turn them away from the story.

Sounds very interesting.
 
To you incest is about biology. To others it's about family and family ties. No single fantasy fits everyone definition.

Hmmm... I was under the impression that Incest readers at Lit want INCEST and not non-relations such as an in-law or whatever.
 
Hmmm... I was under the impression that Incest readers at Lit want INCEST and not non-relations such as an in-law or whatever.

So, sex with an adopted sib wouldn't be incest? What about a sib who is the result of in vitro fertilization if both parents become sterile? Or a surrogate mother provides the egg and gestates it after artificial insemination from a sperm donor? (we can get further out there if you want.)

What if it's sex with an aunt whose husband is mom's bro?

A fourth cousin who lives with the family?

To me, incest is a category based on family ties and situations, not a biological/genetic perquisite. To others, unless the genetics are there, it's something other than incest regardless of the family ties and situations. A half sister/brother may not qualify.

It depends on what gets you motivated. Some like the risk factor between genetically near identical pairings. Other's prefer the risk factor from not getting caught over shopping at home. Still others prefer the dynamic of the change and extension of love from Philia (or Storge) to Eros.

To me, and others, incest is about interfamily sex not genetics. That's pretty obvious from all the incest stories that don't involve genetic sibs or offspring But, whatever floats your ducky in the tub.
 
Last edited:
Definition VS personal preference

True Incest is not only genetic, however it's also not just what ever "family ties" get you going. Incest has a definition for a reason. You can only have Incest with a direct family member that has some kind of influence over you. Either you over them or them over you.

So, while adopted siblings and non-genetic related family member's do count when having sex as incest, foruth cousins and step-mothers might not.

Then non-genetic family member still fall under the influence of the direct family, such as adult members telling them just because they aren't related they can have sex, is just them using their trust to get them to think a certain way.

A fourth cousin or step-parent wouldn't fall under the same category depending on how much influence they have over the other family member. Of course the people involved really can't decide what the level of influence is impartially that would be the job of people out side the relationship. However as long as they are not in a position were they can use the trust of the other person as leverage then It makes them essentially strangers.

In short it all depends on if the relationship checks off the right list. is one of the two people in a position of trust or decision making over the other, Is one of the two people a family member that can influence the other persons way of thinking.

If a step-mother married a man with adult kids then divorced him before crating that mother child relationship, and ends up sleeping with the adult son then that would just be two grown adults sleeping together and not incest.

If a adopted or other wise non-genetically related child sleeps with the parents or family member that has a relationship with them of trust and family expectations, then yes that would be considered incest.
 
I'll invite y'all to read What Is Incest? linked in my .sig.
 
I think realism is not only fine, it's what can separate a 'good' incest story from the piles of one-stroke pure fantasies on here. It's what I've been trying to do in the various incest stories I've started but never submitted. That's what makes them so much harder to write.

What is realism to me? Personally, I like the idea of long buildup and tension between the relatives. The brother/sister don't just come out of the shower, see each others genitals and jump into bed. The daughter doesn't just come in and say "Daddy, do you like my nipples?" and then they fuck. I want to know why, and how. What led to those walls breaking down?

I often cite Taboo as the perfect example of this. In that movie it took the son and mom an hour of runtime to bang, and everything before that set up a slow cooker where they would have almost no choice but to fuck.

What I don't like is abuse. That's a given. But I also don't like guilting the reader at the end with consequences and hurt feelings, especially after the reader has already orgasmed. I made that mistake in my "Vacation" series by having one non-incest family member react negatively to everything going on. It gave my commenters guilty boners and I won't be doing that again.
 
I recently talked to someone about putting realism into incest stories. I think most people like a sense of realism as it grounds the story with plausibility, but I recognize that too much can make a person uncomfortable and kill the mood. So my question; can an author dip into realism with incest without making things uncomfortable?

I try to write sibling incest stories about real people in loving consensual relationships. They've been well accepted, and some of the comments/feedback have said that at least one particular reader thought that there were certainly elements of my personal history in some of my work. (I never confirm or deny such speculation. My stories speak for themselves, and I don't feel any need to speak for them.)

Best Big Brother Ever is my most recent, and, at two chapters, probably my shortest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top