Help - Real life people / copyrighed characters

flirty_but_nice

Flirty Representation
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Posts
8,823
"We do not publish stories involving real-life people or copyrighted characters in non-consensual or reluctant situations."

I have tried to submit a story that has now been rejected twice. The first time, it was a made up story about a fictional character on The Amazing Race. My story was rejected citing the above reasons. The only reference to any real life person or character was TAR host Phil. Everything and everybody else was made up.

Anyway, upon being rejected, I edited my story taking out all references to The Amazing Race and CBS and Phil. Ergo, it was now a totally fictional reality tv show that I called A Race Around The World, which is a completely made up name, so I had a made up television show and made up characters, but again it was rejected for the same reason.

I don't understand. I mean, surely The Amazing Race does not have a monopoly on geographic scavenger hunt style races whereby a purely fictional story about a similar, though fictional program, with all fictional characters should not be rejected for the above reason, should it?

Originally I submitted the story under the celebrities category. When I resubmitted it, I didn't think to change that. Is my problem perhaps that I ought to submit it under the Non-consent category instead,, being that it was re-edited into a pure work of fiction instead of a fictional account of a real television show?

Anyway, Manu, Laurel, or any of you other esteemed Lit authors out there, I would very much appreciate your help in advising me how to approach this. I mean, I suppose my story is likely pretty crappy anyway, but at the same time, it's a fair representation of a depraved fantasy I have long had since watching oh so many incarnations of The Amazing Race.
 
Last edited:
I would resubmit the story in a new category, whatever fits best, and include a note in the notes field about the history of your story. Lay out what you did the first time, the fact that it was rejected, and specify your changes. I can't guarantee this will get your story posted, but it never hurts to give Laurel -- the only one who vets stories -- as much info as possible.

Good luck.
 
Genuine case of "You should message Laurel"

It seems like something of genuine concern.
 
The issue you have is with the site editor, Laurel, directly and the quickest, most effective way of settling it is with Laurel directly (by PM--the message system at the top right of this page. Her posting name is just that, "Laurel.") There isn't anything anyone on the forum can do for you but help you mill around on this, and Laurel doesn't monitor this forum.
 
Thanks for your feedback. I did resubmit the story to a different category c/w notes explaining things.

Also, I did just finished sending a PM to Laurel asking for a more specific explanation of where it offends.

It all just seemed weird, being that it was all fictional characters, other than being told from the first person perspective of ME being the contestant, but in the context of the story, I am but a fictional character, so I don't think that can be the problem.

Anyway, I will let y'all know how I make out. Thanks again. :)
 
Including your category, non-consent, would have been a polite tip to anyone interested in clicking on your link.
 
Back
Top