What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, God, I'm having flashbacks.

Is there such a thing as grad school-induced PTSD?

:p :D

Yes. Yes there is, and I'm suffering from it even before I'm Post.
I hate my professor. He isn't too taken with me, either. This has caused endless problems, but not for long anymore.

(And by professor I mean the dude that makes the decisions, the big(ger) shot of which we have one per subject. I really don't know how that dude is called in English, because you seem to call all university teachers professors.)

When daughter and her friends were handing out the goodies to the trick or treaters last night, they started getting a bit giddy. I heard one of the boys announce that he felt it was strange that, for one night of the year, it was 'good' to give young children teeth-rotting, diabetes-inducing foodstuffs, and therefore it needed a counterbalance.

So every kid who came to the door from then on went away with some sweets and a piece of "good advice", the highlights of which were 'listen to your parents', 'always do your homework on time' and 'make sure you look both ways before you cross the road'....:D

I hate my professor. He isn't too taken with me, either. This has caused endless problems, but not for long anymore.

(And by professor I mean the dude that makes the decisions, the big(ger) shot of which we have one per subject. I really don't know how that dude is called in English, because you seem to call all university teachers professors.)

Most likely, the term we'd use for "the dude that makes the decisions" is probably Department Chair. This person is generally a Full Professor in academic rank. Those who also teach (or direct research) in the department might be full Professors, but most are either Assistant Professors or Associate Professors. Chances are one's Thesis Advisor will come from one of these levels, based on the specialty that is the focus of the dissertation. Below them in academic rank are the Instructors. We really shouldn't mention the even lower-ranked Adjunct Faculty members in the same paragraph (such as I was at one time), because they're not on a tenure track and are treated like slaves except without all the high wages.

When daughter and her friends were handing out the goodies to the trick or treaters last night, they started getting a bit giddy. I heard one of the boys announce that he felt it was strange that, for one night of the year, it was 'good' to give young children teeth-rotting, diabetes-inducing foodstuffs, and therefore it needed a counterbalance.

So every kid who came to the door from then on went away with some sweets and a piece of "good advice", the highlights of which were 'listen to your parents', 'always do your homework on time' and 'make sure you look both ways before you cross the road'....:D

That's marvelous! At our house, the designated candy deliverer was dressed as Professor McGonagle from the Harry Potter series, complete with academic robe, naturally gray hair, and a witch's hat. She scared the crap out of a few tiny tots and had to take off her hat and smile before they'd accept any candy from her.

I sincerely disliked a lot of my professors when I was an undergrad in the psychology department. As a grad student in the English department, there was actually only one professor I disliked. I hated the other students in the department more than profs, LOL.

Most likely, the term we'd use for "the dude that makes the decisions" is probably Department Chair. This person is generally a Full Professor in academic rank. Those who also teach (or direct research) in the department might be full Professors, but most are either Assistant Professors or Associate Professors. Chances are one's Thesis Advisor will come from one of these levels, based on the specialty that is the focus of the dissertation. Below them in academic rank are the Instructors. We really shouldn't mention the even lower-ranked Adjunct Faculty members in the same paragraph (such as I was at one time), because they're not on a tenure track and are treated like slaves except without all the high wages.

I wasn't on a thesis track, so I don't know much about the research stuff, but the rest sounds right. Professors had doctorates at my school, and instructors had masters' degrees. The person who was "over" the department was the Department Head, and the person "over" an entire "college" (e.g., College of Arts and Sciences, College of Nursing, College of Education, etc.) was the Dean, whom you pretty much never interacted with, LOL.

Oh, and we had advisors as well. They were faculty members in our departments who were assigned to us to help us make the best decisions as far as classes to take and so forth. I think the thesis track students' advisors were the ones who called the shots on their research, too.

I know you know all this, but maybe it helped Seela a little. :p

I sincerely disliked a lot of my professors when I was an undergrad in the psychology department. As a grad student in the English department, there was actually only one professor I disliked. I hated the other students in the department more than profs, LOL.

I wasn't on a thesis track, so I don't know much about the research stuff, but the rest sounds right. Professors had doctorates at my school, and instructors had masters' degrees. The person who was "over" the department was the Department Head, and the person "over" an entire "college" (e.g., College of Arts and Sciences, College of Nursing, College of Education, etc.) was the Dean, whom you pretty much never interacted with, LOL.

Oh, and we had advisors as well. They were faculty members in our departments who were assigned to us to help us make the best decisions as far as classes to take and so forth. I think the thesis track students' advisors were the ones who called the shots on their research, too.

I know you know all this, but maybe it helped Seela a little. :p

Thanks for the explanations! It's always difficult to compare this kinds of things, much like trying to compare government. The terms never quite seem to match. Here we only have one "professor" in each discipline, the rest have different titles, but many of them are doctorates. Master's is the default degree here, I don't know anyone who would have finished their studies after reaching bachelor's.

So my nemesis is a Full Professor, who's not the Department Chair. Here the departments consist of several different disciplines, and this is the dude that makes all the desicions for this one discipline, the day-to-day stuff that really affects students' lives. Above him are the Department Head and then the Dean on a faculty level.

He's also my thesis advisor, hence the constant contact and constant headbutting, but there really is no one else in this whole country who could be the advisor other than him. I'm also not the only one who's had problems with him. A friend of mine was provided a thesis advisor from Sweden(!), because this dude kept making things difficult. At least I'm not at that point yet.

Last edited:
I have an interview on Wednesday! For an actual employee-type job! With health insurance and everything!

Not to be "that person," but if anyone has any extra thoughts, prayers, good vibes, or what-have-you to spare, then they would be greatly appreciated.

I have an interview on Wednesday! For an actual employee-type job! With health insurance and everything!

Not to be "that person," but if anyone has any extra thoughts, prayers, good vibes, or what-have-you to spare, then they would be greatly appreciated.
This made me smile too.
As for the extra thoughts etc, you can count on them!

Remembering the weekend that just ended. Wondering if any of the adjacent hotel rooms heard and/or enjoyed our spanking session. :D

I haven't prayed since just after Jesus got his driver's license, but you'll get all the good vibes that can escape our quickly freezing atmosphere here.

You have all my best thoughts...

Usual stuff though,
Prepare for the interview
Check company goals and performance suitable for the role you will play
Early to bed and to the venue. - What could go wrong, May go wrong so be prepared!
Smart dress and answer questions asked, if you are unsure ask them so!

Good luck!!

I haven't prayed since just after Jesus got his driver's license, but you'll get all the good vibes that can escape our quickly freezing atmosphere here.

Thank you, you old dinosaur, you. :p

You have all my best thoughts...

Usual stuff though,
Prepare for the interview
Check company goals and performance suitable for the role you will play
Early to bed and to the venue. - What could go wrong, May go wrong so be prepared!
Smart dress and answer questions asked, if you are unsure ask them so!

Good luck!!

Thank you, too! 'Tis actually a gov't job, but your advice is still very applicable. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back