Spring, glorious spring!

trysail

Catch Me Who Can
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Posts
25,593


GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS!


It's not far off, thank god. I can see it and feel it— there are huge patches of violet and yellow snowdrops. There are buds on the forsythia and they'll bust out any day now. The lacrosse wars have commenced. I feel the waxing strength of the sun's rays.

The residuum of the winter's massive snows can still be seen in dwindling piles. How long will it take for of all trace of the record snowfalls to disappear?

It's a grand time of the year; the days will grow longer for the next three months. Daffodils, jonquils, tulips, dogwood, magnolia and cherry blossoms are all in the not-distant future— to be followed by the tulip poplars, the lilacs and the azaleas.

It's still a month and a half 'til the trees and the grass show the unique shade of delicious spring green. The horses will be turned out to pasture and the timber races will follow. Covers will come off the boats; sailboats will be lovingly slipped into the water. Thereafter, the melifluous and comforting lullaby of halyards slapping against masts will provide a pleasing round-the-clock background. Osprey, woodpeckers, dove and hawks join the soothing cacaphony.

Warmth, Junebugs and crepe myrtle are visible in the distant horizon.

Ain't nuffin' wrong.


 
Well, who would have thought....

You mean to say it's actually getting warmer where you live?
 
It's getting warmer here too. My lawns are growing too fast to let them go unmowed for over a week. I had six-eight weeks this winter that allowed me some rest.

Almost time to get out on the patio.
 
I"m so far behind the weeds that it doesn't look like I'll get my spring planting done this weekend. And next weekend is the Orchid Fair and the weekend after that is Litogether. Damn, but spring's moving through fast!
 


It's​
FORSYTHIA
Day!​
( the day of the first forsythia blossoms )

Forsythia_50years.jpg


The thermometer reads 60+° ( 16° for the Celsius folk ). The snowdrops are all over the place and the gorgeous violet and yellow crocuses seize the eye.

Galanthus_nivalis_2005.jpg


Crocus_tommasinianus_%28Xytram%29.jpg


 
ah but i do love baltimore in the spring. Perhaps the arboretum soon. Ive started to exercize more, my goal is to be able to walk to fells point from my home in belair-edison by the end of may.
 
ah but i do love baltimore in the spring. Perhaps the arboretum soon. Ive started to exercize more, my goal is to be able to walk to fells point from my home in belair-edison by the end of may.

There's no better place in the world for spring. Were I a billionaire, I'd spend summers on the water, at the beach or in the mountains, autumn in either New England or the Rockies and winters in Switzerland, Austria or the tropics. For spring, though, there's but one place.


Enjoy yourself; the exercise is good for you. I've already broken out the shorts and the next couple of days ought to rejuvenate and repair all the despair and discontent of winter.

 

Uh, oh. Along with the good, there's a possibility of some bad.

Historic Flooding’ Possible in U.S., NOAA Says
By Brian K. Sullivan

March 16 (Bloomberg) -- One-third of the U.S. faces a risk of “historic floods” in coming weeks, especially the upper Midwest states of North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa, according to forecasters.

“We are looking at potentially historic flooding in some parts of the country this spring,” Jane Lubchenco, administrator for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said in a conference call today.

The flood potential is driven in part by El Nino, a warming in the Pacific Ocean, which steered storms that have left the ground saturated from record rains and heavy snows. The area designated for above-average risk stretches from New Mexico in the west to Maine in the east, NOAA maps show.

“Once again we are delivering an urgent message to get ready,” said John Hayes, director of the National Weather Service. “The flood risk is above-average over one-third of the country.”

Many areas of the eastern U.S. have received twice the normal amount of rain in the past three months, said Tom Graziano, a weather service hydrologist.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601072&sid=agHM1jeEouWY
 

On St. Patrick's Day, the first jonquil blooms appear. Leaf buds are readily apparent on all the trees. There's the unmistakeable lovely funky smell of fresh mulch in the air. Bare legs and cooing doves ( the dumbest of all birds ) are evident. Four cloudless days of 65+° F ( 19+° C ) spoils us; the ability of the sun's radiant power to warm a body is delightful.

 
Last edited:


GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS!


It's not far off, thank god. I can see it and feel it— there are huge patches of violet and yellow snowdrops. There are buds on the forsythia and they'll bust out any day now. The lacrosse wars have commenced. I feel the waxing strength of the sun's rays.

The residuum of the winter's massive snows can still be seen in dwindling piles. How long will it take for of all trace of the record snowfalls to disappear?

It's a grand time of the year; the days will grow longer for the next three months. Daffodils, jonquils, tulips, dogwood, magnolia and cherry blossoms are all in the not-distant future— to be followed by the tulip poplars, the lilacs and the azaleas.

It's still a month and a half 'til the trees and the grass show the unique shade of delicious spring green. The horses will be turned out to pasture and the timber races will follow. Covers will come off the boats; sailboats will be lovingly slipped into the water. Thereafter, the melifluous and comforting lullaby of halyards slapping against masts will provide a pleasing round-the-clock background. Osprey, woodpeckers, dove and hawks join the soothing cacaphony.

Warmth, Junebugs and crepe myrtle are visible in the distant horizon.

Ain't nuffin' wrong.



Eeks, so much yellow and green. Your post is so bright, I really need better shades! :kiss::devil:
 
Crocuses in full bloom,
Crows in the treetops building nests
turning DOWN the heating,
and a general feeling I should clean the car.
 


Today the Earth is tilted so that the sun is shining directly on the equator at noon, because today is the spring equinox, the first day of spring. The word equinox comes from Latin meaning "equal night,"because today the length of daytime and nighttime will be almost equal.The Earth tilts on its axis as it rotates around the sun, and the equinoxes (which begin spring and fall) mark those times when the sun is directly above the equator at noon. Today, the vernal equinox, is the start of spring here in the Northern Hemisphere, and the start of fall in the Southern Hemisphere.

And the vernal equinox signifies Nowruz,the Persian New Year, celebrated by Iranians around the world. They celebrate with an extensive spring cleaning, honoring the dead, and the exchange of gifts, food, and visits.

-The Writer's Almanc
http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2010/03/20




Turning off the heat!
Shorts

2012
Snowdrops 2/9
Heat (furnace) off 3/13

2013
Furnace off 4/8

2014
Furnace off 4/10

2015
First shorts 4/3

2017
Snowdrops
Crocus 2/21
 
Last edited:

Goddamn this place smells wonderful.


The scent of

magnolia

and

lilac

and good ol' mulch fills the air. I even caught a first whiff of freshly mown grass the other day. It makes me want to stand around and do nothing other than inhale the air.

 
Got most of the Spring planting done. All I have to do now is clear one more bed and put in the zucchini.
 
I am really enjoying the warm weather. It reached 90 at my house today :D
 
My hill is covered with the classic California suburban springscape; Foxtail grasses, (both native and invasive), three species of yellow mustard, California poppies (which we had to plant), purple lupine (another invader, but I just can't care!)

I have a grapefruit tree that smells like heaven, loquats nearly ripe, Berry vines getting a nice start, :)heart: bear) fresh bay leaves drying in my kitchen, meyer's lemons almost ready for juicing... About to put in a dozen basil plants, if I can fight the wild amaranth back far enough.
 
In a college town in the Southwest, the blooming flowers of spring are often wearing running shorts and tank tops. Yes, it is a wonderful time of year, although I prefer summer, when the blooming flowers of spring glisten with sweat.
 
Spring has sprung in LaLa Land. I finished all my landscape planting today. Marigolds and Dianthus, mostly although we put orange and yellow Shasta daises in the front bed.

My water is all piped and irrigation is all in. Ah after five years of civilizing this place it all comes together. BBQ Season!
 
Spring? I think I had spring like weather for much of the winter. (The coldest it got was around 40°F.)

Today it reached a wonderful 80°F. The windows have been open for a while now.

I need to find me some Jasmine Bushes to plant around our place.

The again if you feel hatefull about my weather think of me later in the summer when it's averaging 95° with 100% humidity and we're watching the horizons for oncoming storms.

Cat
 

Big SOLID post and rail fences:

indexpic.jpg


Unlike Aintree, there's no going "through" the obstacles.


Beecher%27s-Brook%2C-1890.jpg


 
Last edited:

Over the next several months, there will be wonderful views of Saturn and Mars ( along with Venus ). At some point, the three very bright planets will appear in nearly the same place in the night sky.

April Sky Chart:
9:00 pm EDT on April 15, 2010. Looking at Zenith, South at Bottom
Sky_S_2010-04-15.jpg


 


The first snowdrops appeared in late February— and damned if there weren't a couple of precocious forsythia bushes that presented a little yellow on 21 February.



220px-Galanthus_nivalis.jpg


 
Back
Top