Confusion about crediting art.

Snekguy

Virgin
Joined
Sep 8, 2016
Posts
28
I'm primarily a writer on the site, but I have commissioned a lot of companion artwork for my stories, and more recently book covers that I own the rights to.

While Literotica allows the upload of artwork, I'm confused when it comes to the rights and credit associated. I have full permission to post the older artwork, and I own the copyright to the newer ones, however Literotica seems to disallow linking off-site either in the description or in the image itself.

This makes it impossible to properly credit the artists who produced the work, besides their signature on the image which isn't very effective at directing people to their Tumblr pages.

Is there a way to upload my artwork and credit the commissioned artists properly, while following the site rules? It seems a shame to have so much content to share, but being unable to do so over what seems like a technicality.
 
Build it into the art.


Art by Leonardo Artguy for/and © Snekguy. See more at LeonardoArtguy's Tumblr

Not a hot link. But identify who created the art and who owns the copyrights

rules (as I recall)
you must have the copyright
and no external links


better double check.

Send a PM to Laurel (that's her user name)
explaining situation.

then post back, so others will know.

What are the guidelines for submitting an Illustration?

Illustrations must meet certain guidelines, which are basically the same as for our stories:

- All persons in the image(s) must be over 18 years of age.

- Image must not contain a URL or other advertisement.

- Image must be no more than XXX
(525) pixels wide. (Note: we will size the image to fit if we are able to do so. However, if we are unable to shrink the image, you will need to resubmit.)

- Like all other submissions on Literotica, images must be your original work - i.e. comics you created, or paintings or drawings that you yourself painted or drew. Please do not submit photos or other images you have found elsewhere.

- We do not accept images of bestiality. (This means we do not accept human beings with real animals. Vampires, werewolves, robots, and other fantasy beings are acceptable.)

- While we accept violent imagery of the type found in horror and adventure stories, we do not accept "snuff" (imagery that sexualizes murder or extreme torture). If you�re
(you're) not sure if your image complies, try submitting it with a note letting us know of your concerns.

- We reserve the right to reject any submission we believe may infringe on other people's copyrights or trademarks.

- We do not currently accept photographs or photo-manipulations to our Illustrations category.

As with Literotica stories, if your image does not meet all of the above requirements, your submission will be sent back to you with a reason why we can't publish it.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your post, I've sent a PM to Laurel and I'll relay anything she tells me in this thread.
 
What does "XXX pixels wide" mean? Surely not '30'.

I cut and pasted from faqs.
MIGHT have been special characters like in the "translation" of you�re

?

I'll look again.
As I recall, when I posted illustrated stories, I just followed the bulletin board guidelines... 800px wide x 600 px high. edited: NOPE too wide, see below:


(back)
Image must be no more than 525 pixels wide

guide: LINK



Though: "More than XXX wide", could mean way beyond porn ratings of X, XX, XXX !!! SPREAD REALLY REALLY REALLY WIDE!:eek:

Quit calling me Shirley.


Further investigation, The "XXX" and "you�re" was from a different faq page, one on submitting illustrations (different category than "illustrated stories/poems) LINK, so it was a web master error, apparently.
 
Last edited:
Lit hates art, apparently. 525 pixels? Yeesh.

well, it sure isn't their focus!

it's been like "pulling teeth" to get THIS far.

Images take up some serious "band-width"...or.... storage space... or sumthin'

They cumbersome.


I try to keep an eye out for a better alternative forum.
(not been very "active" in my search, recently)
So far, nothing that meets my requirements —

FREE
Explicitness allowed (DeviantArt...is NOT very "deviant")
some anonymity
Discussion/commentary (rather than just hosting)
 
Tumblr lets you do anything, pretty much, but discussion/feedback/etc. is very difficult there. One problem with Lit is they object to linking to other hosts for the fiction site- seems okay on the discussion site. They wouldn't have to worry about bandwidth if they allowed you to host images off site.
So, yeah, alternatives welcome.
 
i do not understand what you are saying?

are you saying there is no space to credit the artist when images are uploaded in the stories section? if they are a vital part of the story, say like a picture book, is there a way to credit the artist anywhere? like in your text? i don't know. i've not tried attaching pictures to a story. or looked. is the image named? there's a lot of bad art on lit. quite like many stories. do not assume you own copyright. say hi to laurel. she is a nice lady.
 
i do not understand what you are saying?

are you saying there is no space to credit the artist when images are uploaded in the stories section? if they are a vital part of the story, say like a picture book, is there a way to credit the artist anywhere? like in your text? i don't know. i've not tried attaching pictures to a story. or looked. is the image named? there's a lot of bad art on lit. quite like many stories. do not assume you own copyright. say hi to laurel. she is a nice lady.

No I'm saying that official policy appears to prohibit including links in the images or descriptions, which prevents me from referring people to the artist's web page. Since I commissioned the work, and did not produce it myself, I would feel uncomfortable not being able to credit them properly, which is why I haven't uploaded any pictures thus far.

It's a confusing choice and I'm not sure who it's designed for, as it's very unlikely that accomplished writers are also accomplished artists, and Literotica focuses mainly on writing and doesn't do a lot to cater to artists and make the site appealing to them. There's no reason for them to upload here rather than Hentai-Foundry or Tumblr for example.

I'm not assuming to own copyright, I've signed contracts transferring copyright from the artists to me, which then allows me to sell or modify the book covers that I commission. I have full legal rights to them, though I would still like to be able to credit the artists, I don't want people assuming that I drew them myself.

Maybe my situation is more unique than I'm assuming, and most writers don't buy character art and book covers, but the current system seems counter-intuitive to me and seems to depend on the users being multi-instrumentalists.
 
No I'm saying that official policy appears to prohibit including links in the images or descriptions, which prevents me from referring people to the artist's web page. Since I commissioned the work, and did not produce it myself, I would feel uncomfortable not being able to credit them properly, which is why I haven't uploaded any pictures thus far.

It's a confusing choice and I'm not sure who it's designed for, as it's very unlikely that accomplished writers are also accomplished artists, and Literotica focuses mainly on writing and doesn't do a lot to cater to artists and make the site appealing to them. There's no reason for them to upload here rather than Hentai-Foundry or Tumblr for example.

I'm not assuming to own copyright, I've signed contracts transferring copyright from the artists to me, which then allows me to sell or modify the book covers that I commission. I have full legal rights to them, though I would still like to be able to credit the artists, I don't want people assuming that I drew them myself.

Maybe my situation is more unique than I'm assuming, and most writers don't buy character art and book covers, but the current system seems counter-intuitive to me and seems to depend on the users being multi-instrumentalists.

are writers allowed links to their outside lit homepage within the story submission process?

i was curious as to the "older artwork" you referenced, not the copyright. it all makes sense. is there a way to credit the artist in your story, if that format is not yet offered on lit? do these artists want their erotic art on lit? :)

there is also quite a bit of good art and writing on lit as well. it's good for people to hammer down basics when crediting the proper person. just curious, say jessica smith is your erotic hentai artist and is creating this for you. you then in turn post your writings and her drawings on lit under a pseudonym, and post the artist under their name, when maybe she wants to be called StudMAMA? that also has me confused. if it is to a , say a deviant art page, that may be one thing, (is that linking to competition's website?)
 
Ok so Laurel says:

We do not allow URLs or outside links in any submissions, but you can post URLs and site names in your bio.

We do allow commissioned art so long as it's credited.

This credit is fine:
"The artwork in this story was created for me by [person's name]."

These credits are not fine:
"The artwork in this story was created for me by [site name or URL]."
"The artwork in this story was created for me by [person's name]. Check out their site at [sitename]."
"The artwork in this story was created for me by [person's name]. Check out my bio for more information."

That's great, so now I'm trying to upload my artwork, but I'm pretty confused.

Why are there two 'description' and 'full description' boxes? Am I expected to enter the same information twice if I'm only uploading one image?
I'm allowed to upload multiple illustrations at once, am I expected to make a gallery, or is it wanting me to upload each image separately?
When I try to view the image in the preview section, it's a little squashed thumbnail, surely that's not how it will actually appear? Shouldn't the preview show what it will look like once uploaded?
 
perhaps some help....

older thread

Useful, but not really what I'm trying to do here.

I think I'm just going to say 'screw it' and upload all my images in the way that I assume it wants me to, just to see what happens, despite the danger of having crappy images. I'll report my findings.

Edit: Can't upload the images as a gallery, the wizard keeps crashing and freezing up, I can't make it to the end after several attempts. I will try to upload them one by one instead.

Edit 2: But when you upload single images there are two titles and two descriptions...
Don't have any idea why that is. 'Preview' does not preview the image, it just shows the same squashed thumbnail from the upload page.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top