Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lakh - One hundred thousand. Still widely used in Asia and parts of the diaspora.

Myriad - Ten Thousand. Used as a prefix on some units and used as a number system.

as in:

Myriametre - Ten kilometres.

Myllion - A myriad of myriads or hundred million.
 
Danish sex - sex with a dog
Colombian sex - sex with a donkey
 
(1) Martingale •a harness strap that connects the nose piece to the girth; prevents the horse from throwing back its head,

http://t3.***********/images?q=tbn:q9q3CtgRKLbtdM:upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Martingale_(PSF).png​

(2) Martingale •dolphin striker: spar under the bowsprit of a sailing vessel. A nautical martingale comprises the parts of standing rigging which strengthen the bowsprit and jib boom against the force of the head stays.

Tackling.png
 
Last edited:
Superb. Doesn't seem obvious, but I never hear it - the Brits and Aussies say "brilliant", in the nav, "outstanding" is the word, but I can't remember the last time I heard "superb".

I've probably heard it in a commercial at some point.
 
I use superb alot, but then it was one of my dad's favorites.

Now superable is obscure to me, even if if it does mean surmountable and I am all about that! hehehe
 
The psychological term for the uncontrolled use of obscenity is coprolalia.

Well shit, fuck, balls, asshole, tits!
 
The psychological term for the uncontrolled use of obscenity is coprolalia.

Well shit, fuck, balls, asshole, tits!


Yes, also a somewhat common symptom of Tourette's which I have. (That is, about 10-15% of Tourette's patients have coprolalia.)
 
poppycock - empty talk, nonsense

Is this a reference to the opium poppy? or a popping cock? How did nonsense get there otherwise?
 
Comes from Dutch slang meaning "soft shit".

Re: English word "pap" and Continental slang word "caca".
 
Last edited:
I thought this would have a different meaning.

pet cock: a small cock, faucet, or value for letting out air, releasing compression, or draining
 
I thought this would have a different meaning.

pet cock: a small cock, faucet, or value for letting out air, releasing compression, or draining

Well, I would think that if you had a pet cock, you'd want to take good care of it, and always release your compression andhelp ensure that your little pet is drained. ;)
 
Yes, Tio, that is exactly how I would treat a pet cock. Lots of pressure releasing to ensure proper functioning.

Here is an odd one;

fungible - interchangeable

As in, 'Meters and yardsticks are not fungible", I would suppose.
 
Yes, Tio, that is exactly how I would treat a pet cock. Lots of pressure releasing to ensure proper functioning.

Here is an odd one;

fungible - interchangeable

As in, 'Meters and yardsticks are not fungible", I would suppose.

Again, it might depend on how you wanted to use them. Might not be fungible for measurements, but when I was in high school, the Christian Brothers mostly used the Yard/Meter sticks for punishment. I think they were interchangeable...unless that extra 3.67 inches is really important to you...:devil:
 
Yes, in that case the yardstick and the meter would be interchangeable or fungible. That sounds so odd to me.

Here's some from the sch section;

schlemiel - chump

schmaltz - sentimental music or art

schmoe - jerk

schnook - dolt

Top three are from Yiddish origin, last one unknown. Good words, all!
 
Xelebes, that is what it sounded like but the dictionary did not give the Yiddish origin for that one.

Although my father used all these words, having Yiddish neighbors on 17th Street in LA in the 1930s for neighbors, schmaltzy was his favorite word to use to describe both Liberace and Barry Manilow! LOL
 
Superb. Doesn't seem obvious, but I never hear it - the Brits and Aussies say "brilliant", in the nav, "outstanding" is the word, but I can't remember the last time I heard "superb".

I've probably heard it in a commercial at some point.

Skoda produce a car called "Superb".

Skoda plus superb seems a non-sequitur.

Today I saw a Honda Grandeur. I think they must have delusions of...

Og
 
Thomas Love Peacock loved words

From his novel "Headlong Hall"...

admonition; repartee; exordium; colloquy; multiramified; genera; ensconced; perfectabilian; deteriorationist; statuquo-ite; illuminati; panegyrize; factitious; sylvan; atheistical; vociferated; superinduced...

All those come from the first chapter which is four pages long.

Og
 
I love when a man showers me in words and make me think, before... you know!

riparian- relating to or living near a stream, lake or tidewater.

I would have guessed something else entirely if this was on a multiple choice answer type of test.
 
I love when a man showers me in words and make me think, before... you know!

riparian- relating to or living near a stream, lake or tidewater.

...

Riparian means a lot to me. Unless otherwise specified by a legal agreement, the riparian landlowner has to maintain the banks and the flow of a stream and act to avoid flooding properties downstream.

That can mean a lot of work. Unfortunately many riparian landowners, particularly if they are in newly-built houses, have no idea that they, and ONLY they, are responsible for the stream at the end of their garden. If Anon dumps something in the stream, the riparian landowner has to clear it away at their own expense. If it is an old car - that can cost real money to move.

I have had several new riparian landowners ask me "Why doesn't City Hall do something about the stream?". They aren't happy when I tell them that City Hall CAN'T do anything because it is the riparian landowner's responsibility.

Og
 
Ogg, It is funny, but when I posted that word, I thought of you in regards to the last section of the definition, which was about legal riparian ownership. Thanks for sharing your experiences, that was very enlightening, indeed. It must go back to the days of desiring water on one's property for family, livestock and agriculture, which made that property more valuable, I am sure. The property still retains its value from the waterway, but it sounds like a bit of a nuisance for the owner these days.

We have the Upper Sacramento River in our backyard, but the banks of the river are owned by all for public access and, of course, trout fishing, swimming, canoeing, etc. As homeowners, we are not responsible for the river, which from the sounds of it, is a good thing.

Today's entry, don't ask me why, I don't know;

oodles - a great quantity. Oodles of ejaculate sounds so funny!
 
...

We have the Upper Sacramento River in our backyard, but the banks of the river are owned by all for public access and, of course, trout fishing, swimming, canoeing, etc. As homeowners, we are not responsible for the river, which from the sounds of it, is a good thing.

...

If it is a river, or a "significant" stream, then the responsibility in England rests with the Environment Agency. They avoid taking on new responsibilities because they have enough work to do on the rivers and streams they are responsible for.

If it is a minor waterway, then the riparian landowner has the responsibility. If the stream runs through a farm, then the farmer gets some benefit. If it runs through, or alongside, a garden, then the homeowner has a real problem.

Locally we have a stream that can flood parts of our town. It isn't a significant stream. Beyond a certain point it is in a culvert underground. That culvert was erected by a 19th Century water company and their successors have to maintain it. The problem is upstream from the culvert entrance. If debris gets washed down to block the culvert, houses are flooded. The homeowners can't get flood insurance because it happens so often. All they can do is sue the riparian landowner for failure to maintain the stream.

That gets difficult when the owner of the flooded house is also the riparian landowner. You can't sue yourself for damages.

Og
 
Yes, Ogg, the English were landowners long before the likes of us Californians and the laws would therefore be older as well. But the old septic tanks in the town above us are failing and older than your culvert problem. It is very smart to shower off after being in the river these days.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top