The Cool Science Stuff Thread

there are lots of pretty colors in science.

there are. I think my one school science qualification came from my love of drawing biological diagrams. 34 years later I bet I can still draw an accurate cross section of the eye and spirogyra.

there are. I think my one school science qualification came from my love of drawing biological diagrams. 34 years later I bet I can still draw an accurate cross section of the eye and spirogyra.

I've got my pars plana on you.

I've got my pars plana on you.

I'm shallow. I didn't go that deep. this was as far as we got but often minus the latin

Gray869.png

I'm shallow. I didn't go that deep. this was as far as we got but often minus the latin

Gray869.png
Minus the Latin?

Stop splashing around in the shallow end with water-wings.

Dolfette just introduced me to the fact that some Trilobites had eyes.

Isn't that amazing?

They couldn't focus like ours, but they didn't need to. They used multiple lenses.

Jesus holy fuck! Who in the hell thought up that idea??

Fresh water

Water is our most important resource and with the USA's aging water systems, we are losing up to 25% of it to leaks and breaks and polution.

They have trouble finding, digging up, and replacing the many pipes that are breaking. But, there is a new baggie-like liner that they put into the pipe at an opening, drag it to the next opening, blow some steam into it, and it hardens into a lasting liner without doing any digging, or without even knowing exactly where the break is. This is in use NOW. Amazing technology

Anok Krakatoau

or Son of Krakatoa which last erupted in August,1883.
It had a force of 13,000 times that of the atom bomb that wiped out Hiroshima in 1945 and killed about 38,000 people!
Why should we worry about its son?
Anok is growing from the same magma field that generated his dad, is fueled by the same plates in a subduction zone, and he's growing at 12 feet per year. The same forces WILL create a very large and powerful volcano whos eruption could change the world. Just thought you should keep an eye on it.

(Gotta check out that old movie, "Krakatoa, East of Java" It was really west of Java, below Sumatra):confused:

Water is our most important resource and with the USA's aging water systems, we are losing up to 25% of it to leaks and breaks and polution.

They have trouble finding, digging up, and replacing the many pipes that are breaking. But, there is a new baggie-like liner that they put into the pipe at an opening, drag it to the next opening, blow some steam into it, and it hardens into a lasting liner without doing any digging, or without even knowing exactly where the break is. This is in use NOW. Amazing technology

I cannot imagine what would make someone think of putting the condom on the inside.

BRILLIANT!

The Information
How the Internet gets inside us.
by Adam Gopnik of The New Yorker

When the first Harry Potter book appeared, in 1997, it was just a year before the universal search engine Google was launched. And so Hermione Granger, that charming grind, still goes to the Hogwarts library and spends hours and hours working her way through the stacks, finding out what a basilisk is or how to make a love potion. The idea that a wizard in training might have, instead, a magic pad where she could inscribe a name and in half a second have an avalanche of news stories, scholarly articles, books, and images (including images she shouldn’t be looking at) was a Quidditch broom too far. Now, having been stuck with the library shtick, she has to go on working the stacks in the Harry Potter movies, while the kids who have since come of age nudge their parents. “Why is she doing that?” they whisper. “Why doesn’t she just Google it?

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2011/02/14/110214crat_atlarge_gopnik#ixzz1DPsEE2HL

The Information
How the Internet gets inside us.
by Adam Gopnik of The New Yorker

When the first Harry Potter book appeared, in 1997, it was just a year before the universal search engine Google was launched. And so Hermione Granger, that charming grind, still goes to the Hogwarts library and spends hours and hours working her way through the stacks, finding out what a basilisk is or how to make a love potion. The idea that a wizard in training might have, instead, a magic pad where she could inscribe a name and in half a second have an avalanche of news stories, scholarly articles, books, and images (including images she shouldn’t be looking at) was a Quidditch broom too far. Now, having been stuck with the library shtick, she has to go on working the stacks in the Harry Potter movies, while the kids who have since come of age nudge their parents. “Why is she doing that?” they whisper. “Why doesn’t she just Google it?

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2011/02/14/110214crat_atlarge_gopnik#ixzz1DPsEE2HL

I read that one, it's good.

Also recommend Nicholson Baker's book on the death of libraries, which began as an essay on the death of the card catalog and the problems with digital search in his essay collection.

"Thinking Cap" Stimulates Brains

China building city for cloud computing.

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/technology/china-building-a-city-for-cloud-computing

This is especially concerning given China's activities late last year.

How China swallowed 15% of 'Net traffic for 18 minutes.

Excerpt:

For about 18 minutes on April 8, 2010, China Telecom advertised erroneous network traffic routes that instructed US and other foreign Internet traffic to travel through Chinese servers. Other servers around the world quickly adopted these paths, routing all traffic to about 15 percent of the Internet’s destinations through servers located in China. This incident affected traffic to and from US government (‘‘.gov’’) and military (‘‘.mil’’) sites, including those for the Senate, the army, the navy, the marine corps, the air force, the office of secretary of Defense, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the Department of Commerce, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and many others. Certain commercial websites were also affected, such as those for Dell, Yahoo!, Microsoft, and IBM.

http://arstechnica.com/security/new...wallowed-15-of-net-traffic-for-18-minutes.ars

Last edited:
Back