2012 Survivor News & Views: Announcements and Discussions for the Survivorphile

For all of us...question...does it have to be 2012 Survivor Contest exactly? I put Survivor 2012 Contest.

But now it is in the hands of the Literotica gods/goddesses. I managed to make my goal of submitting one story in every single category, but then got one rejected for First Time, because I talked about how he was attracted to the changes in his little sister's best friend...the summer they graduated from high school. Argh! I should have known better by now. But it seems silly that something that would not raise an eyebrow at Amazon or Smashword gets rejected here. I went back and changed it to specifically say she was 18....and submitted a back-up story to the category last night. But now it is beat the clock. But no matter what the outcome...I feel like I accomplished my goal and that is what is important (or so I keep telling myself).

And congrats to everyone else who participated...like I said earlier this is a close and fairly fought battle (except for maybe me and my apologies but I needed to fulfill this goal before I retire from Survivor). Everyone is a winner!

Tara

You should be alright, but there is no certainty. I do know that entries to theme contests have to include the exact phrase. It might be worth your while to re-submit with the exact phrase included.

I agree, this has been the best contest we have had for a while, with the final results still in doubt on Dec. 29. :D
 
I Did It

Thanks, Boxlicker. Both of them posted last night. So after 4 years, I finally achieved my goal of writing at least 1 story in every single category. It feels awesome, no matter where I place. Never give up on goals, eventually you will get there.

Tara
 
Thanks, Boxlicker. Both of them posted last night. So after 4 years, I finally achieved my goal of writing at least 1 story in every single category. It feels awesome, no matter where I place. Never give up on goals, eventually you will get there.

Tara


Congrats! :D

(((HUGS)))
 
Thanks, Boxlicker. Both of them posted last night. So after 4 years, I finally achieved my goal of writing at least 1 story in every single category. It feels awesome, no matter where I place. Never give up on goals, eventually you will get there.

Tara

Good job! I'm a firm believer in using this contest to step out of boxes and to complete mini-goals. :D
 
Thanks

to Cinner and Red. That is exactly what Survivor has been to me. I have grown so much as a writer/storyteller since I started this in 2009. (Different pen name so you aren't confused.)

I am saddened that it no longer fits within my goals as an indie writer but I cannot divide my precious writing time between finishing chapter stories that after editting will end up as paying ebooks and creating more NEW stories and characters that I do not have time to complete. I am sorry that past abuse made it necessary to change those rules especially since chapter stories are the life-blood of this site.

Oh well, for all who participated this year and those who will next...good luck and I hope this contest stretches you and forces you to grow as much as it did me. Then you will be a winner no matter where you place.

Tara
 
As I have said, this has been a really exciting contest this year, and it still isn't over. We have four authors with over 200 points, and any of them could win.

I will be updating the scoreboard later today, again tomorrow and for the last time at midnight on the first. That's midnight Eastern Time, which is 9:00 Pacific Time, and is the deadline for posting to a scoresheet. Remember, if a story is not listed on your scoresheet at that final deadline, it will not be counted. :eek:

My Bad. :eek: The deadline for posting stories and poems is Midnight, 1/1/2013, which is 9:00PM Pacific Time. The deadline for contestants updating scoreboards is Midnight 1/4/2013. The winners will be announced within a few days after that.
 
Last edited:
Congratulations to all the participants, as well as the four still in the running to win first place!

:nana: :cathappy: :rose: :heart: :kiss: :kiss: :heart: :rose: :cathappy: :nana:
 
It's been a very enjoyable year and a lot of high scoring cards are being seen. I don't know how many folks are waiting till the last minute to update cards, but I've never been one to do that, because I do like placing links and making my card all purty with colors. :D

I will also admit, I am biting my nails hoping that the goddess of Lit. places the stories that are noted for the contest as quickly as the ones for the themed contests get posted. I'd hate for anyone, me included (yes), to have their score unable to reflect their stories because of submission issues.

Again good luck to everyone and for next year's contestants: mini-goals make the entire Survivor contest so much more enjoyable and you can look back and see all you've accomplished and set your standards the following year just a wee bit higher.
 
Wow, that is a close scorecard for the top 4! Good job you all and good luck. :rose:
 
I have conceded, and extend my congratulations to the top three. I am happy to have been a part of this year's Survivor Contest, and I am delighted to know that I contributed to making it an exciting one.

A WONDERFUL 2013 to everyone here, whether you decided to participate in the Contest next year or not. As I've said, I wish for you all creativity and productivity in your thoughts, stamina, resilience, good fortune and success in your efforts and growth, fun and laughter in your dealings with everyone.

:rose:
 
Thanks!

I cannot leave without saying thanks to Boxlicker101 for his kindness, encouragement and help this year. :rose: It was he who told me about this thread, and I have enjoyed chatting with you all from time to time. Participating did not seem to be such a lonely endeavour once I came here.

I'd also like to thank Red and Tara for their helpful suggestions when I had submission issues, and to (((HUG))) them and everyone else who has chatted with me at some point during this year.

:D:rose::D:rose::D
 
Thanks!

I want to second Cinner's comments about Boxlicker. When I began in 2009, he was the competition but unlike other participants he was always willing to reach out to the new girl. I loved competing with him.

But he has come into his own this year as a moderator. I believe that the congenial way in which this year's competition has been administered is due in large part to his efforts. He has made Survivor a fun contest again. Thank you, Boxlicker. Your fresh blood and passion have been a blessing from the goddess.

And a huge thanks to Crimson Maiden and Lauren Hynde for all the work they put into this contest over the years to build it up and keep it going. I know that like many of us they have battled life's ups and downs...and sacrificed their own precious writing time to make this contest available to the rest of us.

Thanks to you all! As well as Laurel and Manu for creating Lit and making it such a wonderful place to share our stories with readers...who deserve the most thanks of all.

Tara
 
Good job! I'm a firm believer in using this contest to step out of boxes and to complete mini-goals. :D

Much like Red (and I guess many others), I entered the survivor contest as a way to challenge myself. I set a goal a to finish in the top 5 and unless something drastic happens, I'll either do it or be close enough. This month of December has been horrid for me professionally, personally and health-wise. It truly put a crimp in my ability to make a last minute run for a higher score.

Upon reflection, I'm unsure where I am with my storytelling. The biggest surprises for me this year:

* Incest! A category I would have NEVER considered outside of this contest. Yet, I learned it is an interesting category that I may revisit in the future.

* Chapter stories: Who knew they mattered to me? Along the way, I created a couple characters who I'm anxious to revisit. About mid-year, I found my muse feeling a bit stifled by the "no chapters" rule when I found I wanted to write follow-up stories to some of my stories.

* I missed some "easy" categories. Erotic couplings comes to mind. As does Romance. I only placed on Loving Wives entry in a category that doesn't scare me. I'm very surprised I missed Novella's & Novels and Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

All in all, it was a productive year for my muse. Thanks Lit!
 
What I did this year compared to the past was not necessarily work on what I have considered my "easy" categories. For example, I've always thought I could get Romance done whenever I felt like it, but in the end it was one of the last categories I placed a story in. Erotic Horror was another one I shied away from until I realized I better get it done because another immunity didn't look like it was coming my way.

I used immunities this year for categories I just didn't want to write in, compared to my first year where I opted to not use any immunities I was awarded. This year, for example the Celebrity category. It's an easy category, but I just don't like writing about celebrities. Perhaps because they are real people so an immunity was stuck in there.

I also struggle with Humor/Satire, so that was another one I opted to use an immunity on. Looking back, I was frustrated when I used an immunity for Trans/Cross and then got a wonderful idea slapped on my lap. I wrote the story, but couldn't use the points.

What I did find challenging was when I received an immunity, I put all other categories to the side and focused on the one category I knew I could close out easily so I could make my immunities valid. I didn't want to be caught with an invalid immunity. Once I secured that, then I went back to picking and choosing what I wanted to write.

Finally the last challenge I felt this contest offered was the themed contest challenge. I really struggled with some entries because my muse was telling me "they're forcing you to write something for this holiday" - it was like back in middle school when you're handed a list of books and told "you have to read one of these and write a report and you have no say in the matter". Everything in me balked against that.
 
What's Next...

Bucky,

I so hear you about the chapter rule, which is why I am no longer participating. So many characters have captured my imagination...and my readers. There are at least half a dozen stories that I have to go back and finish in chapter format in 2013. Or I'm going to have mutiny with my readers (something I would never want). They are already clamoring for the next chapter of certain stories.

For me this year's experience has been the perfect way to end my Survivor memories...fulfilling a goal and competing with the best writers out there....without bickering. Amazing!

Tara
 
Thanks, Fellow Authors. It's nice to be appreciated. I expect to continue as moderator in the current year, as long as I am welcome. :)
 
I have finished totaling all scores for 2012, and here are the final standings:

01: RedHairedandFriendly - 242 points
02: Tara_Neale - 237 points
03: SusanJillParker - 232 points
04: Cinner - 215 points
05: Zrnko_Pisku - 187 points

06: BuckyDuckman - 165 points
07: Boxlicker101 - 144 points
08: geronimo_appleby - 91 points
09: PrincessErin - 78 points
10: oOScarletWingsOo - 47 points
11: elphaba69 - 43 points
12: javawarrior - 35 points
13: Lady_Eryka - 19 points
14: Neonurotic - 18 points
15: VampGirl1991 - 17 points

Congratulations to the winners and to all those who competed. This was the closest contest and the most enjoyable of all those I have known in the ten years I have been associated with the Survivors' Contest. :)

PM Laurel to collect your prizes. :)
 
Thank you Box, because of you, this is the best Survivor Contest I played. You should be proud of yourself. Good job. I look forward to this contest.

Thank you for all of your dedicated hard work on behalf of we writers (us writers?).

Now about that orange Mustang GT with black racing stripes, leather, and a six speed...
 
Now that the contest is over, now that we know the official winners, I'm glad that RedHairedandFriendly won. She was one of the first writers who reached out to me when I first joined the site. She never bashed me or my stories. She never wrote a mean word to me or about me. I'll never forget her kindness in helping me navigate some unfamiliar things especially with some of the characters on the board.

Thank you Deanna. You deserved to win.

Now that I congratuated the winner, for the rest of you losers, as I remove my glove to slap you all across the face, I'm in it to win it for 2013.

I challenge you to beat me. I dare you, no, I double dare you to beat me.

You can't beat me! I'm BostonFictionWriter! Ha! Ha! I've deleted more stories from my BostonFictionWriter name, 300, to rewrite and re-edit as e-Books than most of you pretenders to the throne will ever write.

Oh, trust me, you'll need a lot of stories to beat me this year as I plan on writing, are you ready? I plan on writing not less than a story a day. I did that when I was BostonFictionWriter and I plan to do that again this year as SusanJillParker (real name).

Good luck to you all and let the games begin.

Um, where do I go Box to have my parking validated? I've been here longer than my alotted limit.

 
Thanks bunches. :) But, shouldn't that be "double dog dare you"?

It was a lot of fun this year and I believe Box did a great job as a Mod. "Go Box!" This coming year I've set another set of mini-goals, one I think I'll find a lot trickier to meet. We'll see. :eek: I also entered because I know I'm going to be writing and submitting at Lit. so it makes sense to track what I write and if I get a gift card for my efforts yeah me. If I get cash again, yay me twice.

Again, it was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed watching how close things were becoming.
 
Thank you

Boxlicker101 for everything you did as moderator this year. I know what goes into keeping things going in this contest and these efforts are appreciated.

Again, thank you.
 
Congrats Red!

Well hopefully one or two of us at least makes it interesting for you SJP, that's an impressive pace to keep up. :)
 
Congrats Red!

Well hopefully one or two of us at least makes it interesting for you SJP, that's an impressive pace to keep up. :)

It's all in good fun. I'm very competitive. I'll tell you sometime about the time that I won the gold medal in Curling and in the Luge...only, they wouldn't give me the gold medals. They said that I wasn't mentally challenged enough to participate in the Special Olympics, even after I told them that I was.
 
It's all in good fun. I'm very competitive. I'll tell you sometime about the time that I won the gold medal in Curling and in the Luge...only, they wouldn't give me the gold medals. They said that I wasn't mentally challenged enough to participate in the Special Olympics, even after I told them that I was.
:rolleyes:

Congrats Red!

Well hopefully one or two of us at least makes it interesting for you SJP, that's an impressive pace to keep up. :)

Thanks. :) And enjoy the ride this year.
 
Back
Top