Paying Husbands Debts(Need 1-Female PM first)

RLA68

Literotica Guru
Joined
May 28, 2008
Posts
1,895
Paying Husbands Debts-Closed for DeliciousMaiden

Closed for DeliciousMaiden


Ron Anderson and John Grendel were friends before even kindergarten in their lives. They raised a lot of hell not only in high school but prior to that. You would have thought that going into the Army and becoming Rangers for a 6 year military stint would have calmed the down.

For Ron it did. He went into real estate and became broker making very good money with not too many vices other than a insatiable sexual appetite. John went the route of using his training in the military to become a firefighter. After 4 years Ron was a broker and John a lieutenant in his fire department and married for two years. On the surface you would guess John had his act together more than Ron, but John was an alcoholic and barely was in the good graces of keeping his job. He made LT based on some favors Ron pulled in to help him. Sober John is a great firefighter and paramedic. That is staying sober during his 48 hour shift each week. He also had a gambling problem. Ron and John both liked the casino but John wasn’t as successful at blackjack or any other card game as Ron. John didn’t have the common sense to walk away either.

John’s wife has gone to Ron three times already in two years for a handout financially. Prior to the two years, John lived with Ron and obviously Ron let him slide on rent. Twice Ron has paid the mortgage and one time with that he gave her an extra $250. The third she went to him, he gave her $500 for other bills. So, 2 mortgage payments and $750 for other bills.

Ron came over for supper and had a couple of beers while John got shitfaced and passed out as usual. Ron helped drag him to the bedroom. Before he was to leave John’s wife wanted to talk to him.
“Whats wrong? You look like something is really really wrong.” He says as he turns around and sits down with her on the couch just inches away from her.

“Money…again?” he asks as he looks into her eyes.
 
Last edited:
Emma Grendel

For the first time in a month Emma Grendel had been looking forward to spending the events of the evening. The presence of her husband’s old friend Ron Anderson had always had a steadying effect on John and besides John had promised her that he would not drink heavily and that he would speak to Ron about their ... situation.

And so she had kept to the kitchen preparing a meal that she knew would satisfy both men, leaving them to talk and too embarrassed to show her face too soon, given the topic she prayed that John was indeed discussing.

Finally she announced that the meal was on the table and busied herself with sorting out glasses and napkins as the two men entered. Ron commented on how good it all looked and she dared to raise her eyes to him, dreading to see his expression, but finding the same warm smile that he had always had for her. Behind her there was a crash. Turning she saw in consternation that John had tripped over and was indeed already totally inebriated.

”Little Emma ... “

His hand reached out with surprising dexterity, making her flinch.

” ... always knows how to tempt a man’s appetite ...”

He drew her towards him and planted a kiss on her neck. Emma bit back a gasp as he melded her body roughly against his. To the onlooker he seemed to be drunkenly affectionate. He released her so suddenly she nearly went toppling. A lewd comment whispered in Ron’s ear and the two men laughed and seated themselves. Emma watched them tuck into the feast laid before them, but hardly touched hers. Not only had John obviously not confided in his friend, but he had gone back on his promise not to get drunk and continued to knock back beer after beer.

The conversation was two-way. Emma kept her attention on her plate, pushing the food round until it was time to clear away the main course. Bringing out desert, she was careful to lay it down in front of their guest, murmuring.

”Help yourself Ron ... if you could do the honours... “

She nodded across to John who was becoming louder and more raucous, but at least his conduct was covering her lack of conversation. As if sensing her need for assistance, Ron too assisted in pouring the coffee she brought shortly after. Declining the brandy as John set to the spirits, he drank slowly his attention seemingly on John as Emma sipped at her own cup, eyes down cast, her slice of gateau untouched.

When John passed out, Emma was actually relieved! It was clear that he would not be waking for a long time, though he would feel like shit the following morning.
Again Ron saved the day and agreed to get John up the stairs before he left.
Emma knew that her husband’s unconscious state gave her the opportunity to speak with Ron before he left. Listening to the sound of Ron’s good natured voice upstairs, Emma poured herself a brandy; her first alcoholic drink of the night and walked into the lounge to sit on the sofa as she sipped the fiery liquid, hoping it would give her courage.

“Whats wrong? You look like something is really really wrong.”

She looked up as he crossed the room and sat on the sofa with her.
Putting the half-empty glass down she turned to him as he questioned;

“Money…again?”

Her eyes welled with tears as she shook her head mutely. If only that were her only problem.

”No ... no ... not money ... “

Her voice was almost inaudible, but she seemed to take a steadying breath and forced herself to continue.

”Ron ... I ... can’t live like this any more ... “

She did not know how much to tell him, how much it would take for him to accept her request.

”John ... he’s not the man you used to know ... and.. not the man I married.”

Ron had been sympathetic and assisted her financially several times throughout the 2 years she had been with John, but this was different.

”I’m leaving John.”

She stated quietly.

”And ... if you help me, I can get out tonight ... “
 
Last edited:
Ron had asked if it was money troubles again and he received much worse of answer than he could have conceived in a nightmare.

She said, ”Ron ... I ... can’t live like this any more ... “

Ron certainly wasn’t used to the rivers of tears that Emma has cried mainly after getting married. He has tried to be there for both John and her sake. He in fact envied John for settling down with one woman and really wanted this to work for him not to mention Emma has been a friend to him.

“What? Emma please you need to talk to me.” Ron implored as he sat with her and took her hands.

She replied, ”John ... he’s not the man you used to know ... and.. not the man I married.”

“Look I know John has issues…I have tried to talk to him about the drinking. I pushed him to stop gambling including banning himself from all the local casinos. Its just that John hasn’t grown out of the things we did growing up and in the Army. I would give a kidney on a moments notice for him…he been my brother since we were like 5. There has to be something I can do to help.” Ron states and implores her.

She replied, ”I’m leaving John.” Then paused to say, ”And ... if you help me, I can get out tonight ... “

“My lord Emma…is it that bad? You have to talk to me more. I can’t betray John like this. I love you like a sister. The proudest day of my life was to be the best man at your wedding. I can’t in good conscious just see the towel be thrown in and do nothing.” Ron stated getting more somber as his head was down.

“Will you promise me…to talk in the morning if I take you to a hotel and pay for the night to clear our heads and move forward in the morning? I would have you stay at my place but I don’t think that is the wisest ideas. Yes I will help, but the help is to find what is going on. If I can do anything...talk to John I will much less twist his damn arm to make this right. A divorce…is not what I want to see.” Ron continued to talk but Emma wouldn’t make a sound other than tears and trying to not let it all out.

Ron reached in and gave her a hug.
“Emma, I love John as my brother but I am here for you as well. I will help you get this right.” He whispered.

“Please write a note that you had to go to your sisters or something due to an illness. John doesn’t need to know “this”.” He asked and then took her in his car but couldn’t find a hotel on a Saturday night with a room.

“Okay…my place but because I want to talk this out in the morning.” Ron said after a bit of sigh. He was heavily uncomfortable for the storm ahead. He unwittingly put himself in the middle as John and Emma were his best and closest friends in the world even more so than family.

He drove to his condo and quickly set up the spare bedroom for her. He gave her a hug.
“We will work this out in the morning Emma. Trust me.” He stated and then went into his room and shut the door and his head spun the entire night wondering how things got so damn bad. How would he come with the answers. 5 am came early. He got up and changed to run his 5 miles that he did every day from his Army Ranger days. When he returned Emma was in the kitchen with a mug of coffee.

“I guess now is a good time as any to let me know the whole story Emma.” He stated as he got out the orange juice and skim milk. He pulled out a couple of glasses and he sat with her. He was a little tense as he wondered if he was ready to hear this.
 
Emma Grendel

Emma had expected Ron’s defence of his friend, but his very words confirmed that he knew the issues that plagued their marriage. But this time it wasn’t just the gambling and drinking alone.
Ron wanted to help, but he wanted to help reconcile her and John, but Emma had made her decision and despite his persuasion, she was determined to stick to it.

“My lord Emma…is it that bad? You have to talk to me more. I can’t betray John like this. I love you like a sister. The proudest day of my life was to be the best man at your wedding. I can’t in good conscious just see the towel be thrown in and do nothing.”

She nodded. It WAS that bad, but despite her best intention could not bring herself to tell him just how bad things had gotten. All she knew that now she had voiced her intentions, she had to get out before morning, with or without his help.

“Will you promise me…to talk in the morning if I take you to a hotel and pay for the night to clear our heads and move forward in the morning?”

Emma’s head went up at that.
There was a glimmer of hope, that he might help her after all.

”Yes I will help, but the help is to find what is going on.”

She nodded slightly. She owed it to Ron to tell him what this was all about.

” If I can do anything...talk to John I will much less twist his damn arm to make this right. A divorce…is not what I want to see.”

She wanted to tell him that his efforts would be useless, but he hugged her close and she gave in to tears once more ..

“Emma, I love John as my brother but I am here for you as well. I will help you get this right.”

It was the lifeline she needed.

It took her minutes to pack a small case, to write the note as Ron suggested stating that she had been called away to a sick friend, but gave no more details. He would know the reason was fake, but she didn’t care. Mutely she slid in the passenger seat of Ron’s car as he put her luggage in the boot.
She didn’t care which hotel he was going to put her in.
She didn’t care that he couldn’t find her a room available and offered her his spare room.
She stood mutely as he took her things into his place and set up the spare room for her.
She only seemed to come to her senses when he hugged her once more stating;

“We will work this out in the morning Emma. Trust me.”

And so saying he left her to get sorted and settle for what was left of the night.

She didn’t sleep.
The initial relief of getting away last night gave way to anxiety about what she would do next. She had no savings to speak of; she’s used all she had to pay of debt’s John ran up and then had to ask Ron for help when her own funds ran dry. Ron still thought he could fix things. How would he react when he realised that she was determined never to return to the marriage?

Emma must have dozed at some time as she didn’t hear Ron go out.
Even though it was still early, she decided to get up. Pulling on a pair of sweats and white t-shirt and topping it with a casual long sleeved fleece, she headed downstairs. Emma was unfamiliar with Ron’s kitchen, but soon managed to make a pot of coffee and sat sipping her mug at the breakfast bar, her eyes seeming fixed, but unseeing.

Emma turned as she heard Ron’s return.

”Coffee’s hot ... “

She gestured as he came into the kitchen, and went back to her own beverage.

“I guess now is a good time as any to let me know the whole story Emma.”

She watched as he poured orange juice instead, her eyes watching the glug of white then the splash of the orange liquids as they were decanted each into a tall glass.

”You know most of it ... “

She told him softly.

”Isn’t that reason enough to want out?”

She was calm now; her voice even to her own ears seemed to come from far off.
She bit her lip. All too aware of what she hadn’t told him and what, now that she had involved him, he had a right to know.

”But .. no ... that’s not all ... “

She knew Ron wanted to understand, wanted to help.
She knew she had to explain.... somehow ...

Silently Emma eased off the jacket she wore. It slid unheeded to the floor revealing her slender arms, arms mottled with old bruises and the angry discolouration of recent markings.

He began to speak, but she stood and stepped towards him, turning carefully she raised the hem of her t-shirt for him to see the marks there and unconsciously drawing attention to the fact that she had lost a considerable amount of weight over the past month.

”You can’t actually see the cracked rib ... “

She told him, her eyes locking with his, almost challenging.

”How long do you want me to let him do that to me?”

She let the fabric drop and wrapped her arms around her protectively.

” ... or do I stick it out ‘til he puts me in hospital or worse?”

Her voice cracked, but she did not cry.
 
Ron’s eyes were glued waiting for something terrible.

She started with, ”You know most of it ... “ then paused and said softly, ”Isn’t that reason enough to want out?”

“I know Emma…and I have a hard time arguing except that I know John is a better man that and will help him to stop the alcohol. I think I got his gambling stopped.” Ron said as the first blow was not unexpected but still pretty heavy.

She continued, ”But .. no ... that’s not all ... “

“Huh, what?” Ron was setting himself or a haymaker of information he couldn’t possibly believe.

She took off her jacket revealing her slender arms with old bruises and the angry discolouration of recent markings.

“Shhh…” He was somewhat speechless but she raised the hem of her dress to show further abuse.

She added, ”You can’t actually see the cracked rib ... “

He looked into her eyes as his eyes welled up with tears and his chest heaved.

She said in a somber cracked voice, ”How long do you want me to let him do that to me? ... or do I stick it out ‘til he puts me in hospital or worse?”

He took a moment to compose himself.
“I don’t know what to say…I never imagined John could the type of man to do this.” He said with his head down.

“You can stay here as long as you need. I have no idea how to fix this…if it can’t you have my word that I will give the money to go wherever you want.” Ron stated as he raised his head.

“I just can’t believe it…we always talked about how we hated bullys and we went in the Rangers to protect people that couldn’t protect themselves. Even when a practical joke got out of hand…we talked about how we didn’t want hurt anyone. Shit, we talked about having a code before we were even selected to be Army Rangers 82nd Airborne. Emma…I am no counselor or do I claim to know about this other than I can’t have you get hurt any further.” Ron said with a tear rolling down his cheek.

He felt bad for Emma but also betrayed by John his friend. He now had to struggle with his principles and loyalty to his friend.
“I don’t know Anger management would help…John resisted Alcoholics Anonymous and I at least know that a person has to want to change. I used to booze it up with John drink for drink but I knew that wasn’t good as I have gotten older. For me I just stopped doing it. I know it doesn’t work that way for others. I will talk to John but in the meantime…you are welcome to stay Emma. I don’t know what else I can do.” Ron said as he slumped in his chair a bit then got a kleenex.

He gave Emma another hug and kiss on the forehead.
“I am here for you. I want you to know that. I’ll be home around 1:30 pm. You are welcome to anything here. This is your home now.” Ron said and went took a shower and dressed he headed over to see his friend John.
 
Emma Grendel

It had been the only way to tell him; to show that things had gotten out of hand. Without saying the words to tell Ron that she had come to fear John and his rages.

“I don’t know what to say…I never imagined John could the type of man to do this.”

The sight of Ron’s anguish made her feel awful. John had told her over and over that everything was her fault; if only she wasn’t so demanding, didn’t nag him as much’ didn’t provoke him. Then she wouldn’t make him treat her in the way he did. But how he had made her feel was nothing to the guilt she felt now as she watched the man who had become her friend as well as John’s struggle with the new knowledge.

“You can stay here as long as you need. I have no idea how to fix this…if it can’t you have my word that I will give the money to go wherever you want.”

Gratitude surged in her.
Even now he wanted to help them, but if that didn’t work, he was still willing to help her.

“I just can’t believe it…”


She listened silently as he recalled their army days. Their “code”. But that was in the past, way in the past.

”Emma…I am no counselor or do I claim to know about this other than I can’t have you get hurt any further.”

She nodded, tears finally spilling at his offer to protect her, even in the face of his own sorrow about what she had told him.

Again he began to search around for an answer; Anger management ... Alcoholics Anonymous ... But John did not want to change. Emma had somehow made sense of events. To her mind John was unable to control the drinking and perhaps the gambling leaving him with rage and frustration, which he took out on her, because good old Emma would take it all, would never leave.

”I will talk to John but in the meantime…you are welcome to stay Emma.
I don’t know what else I can do.”


She didn’t want Ron to talk to John, especially today. She had known last night that he would be in a lousy mood this morning and she really had not wanted to risk waking up in the same house as him. That was when it happened: Either when he was drunk, the stage before passing out, or shortly after he came round and felt like shit. Both times he would take it out on her.

But she said none of this.
She moved into the hug, savouring the security of Ron’s arms and the affectionate kiss on her forehead.

“I am here for you.”

She held his gaze and gave a tremulous smile.

” I want you to know that. I’ll be home around 1:30 pm. You are welcome to anything here. This is your home now.”

Emma could not believe his generosity. She pulled the jacket back on and poured herself another coffee. She had no appetite. So she went into Ron’s living room and flicked on the TV, selecting programmes, without actually watching them whilst Ron showered and dressed and then headed out, she assumed to work.

Even though she drank the coffee pot dry, Emma felt exhausted. Mostly because she had had no sleep the previous night, but largely because she had finally told someone about the events of the past month and because Ron had promised he would stop John hurting her again.

She curled up her feet beneath her; then she settled her head against a cushion.
Before long she was sound asleep and still was so when Ron returned early that afternoon ...
 
Ron went into work. Sunday is one of the biggest real estate days of the week. He made several calls and coached his reps to do what was needed for them to get paid and get the transaction done but with ethics. He somewhat was thankful for being slammed with work as his thoughts otherwise were strained to the point of tears as he thought about poor Emma and his best friend John now a monster.

He loved them both dearly but would have to draw a line in the sand. He knew he had to talk to John. He went by John place after work. John was in nasty mood and again very drunk. He excused himself after a couple of stupid conversations as to the whereabouts of his wife as if she was a piece of property. Ron headed home.

He walked through the front door. He noticed Emma sleeping. He took a blanket and covered her. He wanted her to sleep.

After she awoke. He came out and sat down with her.
“I went by to see John…it was barely noon and he was drunk and then some.” Ron said as he looked at her.

“Emma…I don’t blame you for your mind being made up. I can let today go. But I have to talk to him tomorrow. I plan to go back over in the morning rather than go to work. I have to know what is going on with him.” He states sitting with her on the edge of the couch as she sits up.

“I have known him his entire life…I still don’t know what to say. I guess except…I am here for you. I won’t turn my back on you. I know people tend to question people in these situations. What you showed me..there is no explanation or excuse to say otherwise.” Ron said as he looked her in the eyes. He took her hands.

“Emma, if there is anything I can do for you for, I don’t want you to be shy. You have welcomed into your home and always provided a great meal making me feel like much more than a guest. You are not a guest in my home…you are family.” Ron adds and hugs her again and kisses her forehead and cheek.

“You are safe. I promise.” He whispers.
 
Emma blinked awake.
For long moments she did not know where she was.
There was a blanket over her and although the curtains were still drawn it was obviously day time. Slowly she sat up, her head turning as she heard a soft.

”Hi ... “

As she saw Ron, realisation crashed in on her. She really had done it. She really had left John.
And she had broken her promise and told John...

“I went by to see John…it was barely noon and he was drunk and then some.”

She nodded and shrugged. It was no more than she’d expected. And far from the first time that he had gotten himself into that state so early.

“Emma…I don’t blame you for your mind being made up. I can let today go. But I have to talk to him tomorrow. I plan to go back over in the morning rather than go to work. I have to know what is going on with him.”

Emma gave a mirthless laugh.
It was obvious what was going on with her husband, but Ron had yet to accept it.

“I have known him his entire life…I still don’t know what to say. “

Emma hated that she had put Ron in this position, but she hadn’t known what else to do.

”I guess except…I am here for you. I won’t turn my back on you.
I know people tend to question people in these situations.
What you showed me..there is no explanation or excuse to say otherwise.”


Emma flushed guiltily, her mind full of the accusations that John had repeatedly thrown at her.

“Emma, if there is anything I can do for you for, I don’t want you to be shy.”

She lifted her eyes to his, overwhelmed by his kindness.

”You have welcomed into your home and always provided a great meal making me feel like much more than a guest. You are not a guest in my home…you are family.”

Emma let herself sink into his embrace as he murmured.

“You are safe. I promise.”

For long moments she remained enclosed in Ron's arms, until she reluctantly eased back.

”John thinks it’s all my fault ... “

The words were blurted out before she thought.

”... and ... perhaps he’s right?”

She looked at him tremulously.

”... if I’d been a better wife ... “

She was unconsciously repeating the accusations John had thrown at her over and over.

”If I’d ... “

She halted, tears spilling.

”And ... he found out ... that you’d given me money.
After that ... that’s when it all started ... “
 
Emma eased back from Ron’s hug.
”John thinks it’s all my fault ... “ she stated then added ”... and ... perhaps he’s right?”

Ron looked in a bit of shock, what was she saying.

”... if I’d been a better wife ... “ she said and Ron stepped forward and hugged her tight.

“Emma…that is not your fault. There is no excuse for a man to do that sort of thing. No matter what.” He said kissed her forehead.

”If I’d ... “ she got out before the tears really flowed. ”And ... he found out ... that you’d given me money. After that ... that’s when it all started ... “ She explained.

Ron heart sank a bit. “Emma look into my eyes. You did nothing wrong. You were a great wife. I always admired John for having you. As far as the money…I wasn’t going to let the two of you lose your house and not eat. Money means shit to me. My family is what is important. There no excuse to hurt someone not over this or anything else. You are a good woman and were a good wife.” Ron states looking her in the eyes as he has his hands on her shoulders then hugs her again and kisses her forehead.

He holds her most of the day until they have a bite of supper. Most of the time not much is said just a comforting embrace from Ron’s arms around her. As they go to bed, Ron goes out to the living room and sits in the recliner staring at the darkness and wall behind it.

He hears Emma as she must be having a bad dream. He goes into her bedroom and gently helps her come awake. He hugs her.
“It was just a bad dream dear. You are safe…everything is okay.” He says comforting her and kisses her cheek.
“I will be here as long as you like to help you go back to sleep Emma.” He says in a whisper.

As morning came, Ron got up early and did his usual run. He came back to find Emma and her coffee. He kissed her cheek before heading to take a shower.
“Morning Emma.” He said and smiled.

He came out dressed and took his keys.
“I need to confront John. I know you are not 100% in agreeing but this is something I need to do. I will be back after that…I am taking off work today.” Ron stated and gave her one more hug.

Ron was looking for answers although he knew he wouldn’t like them. He felt for Emma but also felt completely betrayed by John. He always felt there was a code they lived by as a kind of dynamic duo. He pulled up and walked into John’s house.
“Talk to me John.” Ron said to his best friend.

John was looking rough and then confused.
“What? What the fuck is going on?” John answered.

“You need to tell me what the hell is going with you. I know about the bruises on Emma…HOW could you damn it. Over what? Is it the money I gave her?” Ron responded in John’s face.

“Where is she? Is she at your place damn it? She is my wife.” John said getting up and all pissed off.

“No.” Ron responded with a lie. “She is away from you for her safety if you must know…likely the relative or friend the furthest away from here.” Ron tried to be convincing.

John took his keys and walked out the door. Ron knew where he was going. Ron called his place and said on the answering machine,
“Emma pick up the phone it is Ron.” He said and Emma picked up.

“Listen, take your stuff and go into my bedroom. John is coming over and likely thinks you are there. He won’t check my bedroom. Just the same, I am sorry to ask for you to get in the closet. I am also sorry that I will have the talk with him and you will over hear.” Ron said with a bit of adrenaline rushing in him.

Ron arrived right after John.
“Whats your problem John? What happened to you? I can give a shit about money…all I care about is you and Emma.” Ron said confronting him.

“Just open the door my wife is in there. I don’t know what you are fucking talking about.” John said as Ron opened the door.

“No she isn’t and I can tell you that she won’t be your wife much longer…you did it to yourself.” Ron said as John looked around and in the guest room.

“Where is she? I didn’t do shit. I haven’t done anything to her but try to be a good husband.” John asked and then told still pissed.

“Sit down. NOW. You need to talk to me.” Ron said as he pushed John onto the couch to sit.

“What? Are you fucking her? What is this?” John asked and it took everything in Ron to not come unglued.

“You sick fuck. I love Emma as a sister. I swore when you got married to her to protect her which obviously is even from you. I just want to know…I mean we went in the Rangers on the basis to not only serve our country but to help the people who couldn’t defend themselves. Protect the innocent. After the village incident…together we decided to leave the Rangers and the military life. When the two of you were down it took a lot of courage for her to come to me…I am more than happy to help my family.” Ron says directly to John.

“I wasn’t totally on board with leaving the Rangers. I lost my feeling of pride. I don’t know what you are getting at I haven’t done anything. It wasn’t her place to do that anyways.” John responds.

“What? Well you can always try and go back. You are one fuck up away from being fired from the fire department. I can’t even call in enough favors for you. With your reputation…you won’t be able to bag groceries in this town.” Ron responds sharply.

Ron pauses and sighs.

“Where you going John? I mean Emma is not even a part of the equation anymore. She can’t take the abuse and I don’t blame her. You have to make yourself right. I don’t buy into Anger Management but it can’t hurt. The problem is like AA is that you have to want to change. Nothing you have done or said today speaks that. Damn it man we used to despise bullys even growing up. Tell me what is going on. STOP denying it!” Ron states somberly.

John gets up and walks toward the door.
“We can’t all be perfect like you Ron. There are always two sides to every story. She isn’t the easiest person to live with the nagging and bitching. I can’t breathe with it all. She takes away me being a man with her shit. Mostly I am disappointed in you for buying her garbage. She has a spell on you man. You were supposed to be my friend.” John says and walks out.

“John, I love you more than I thought possible, you were my brother. I would have taken a bullet for you and I never thought twice about it when we were in combat covering each other. BUT this is wrong. I can’t stand by you.” Ron responds.

“You are not my friend Ron…I didn’t do anything. I won’t be back. You are not welcome in my home.” John says before getting into his car. Ron just hangs his head for moment.

Ron waits till John drives away.

Ron then goes into his bedroom.
“I am sorry Emma.” Ron says as he hugs her. “He is gone…not the man I thought I knew.”
 
“Emma…that is not your fault. There is no excuse for a man to do that sort of thing. No matter what ...
Emma look into my eyes. You did nothing wrong. You were a great wife.
I always admired John for having you. As far as the money…I wasn’t going to let the two of you lose your house and not eat. Money means shit to me. My family is what is important.
There no excuse to hurt someone not over this or anything else.
You are a good woman and were a good wife.”


Over and over he told her.
His words beginning to cancel out those John had been drumming into her for the past month.

Ron was more accepting than she could ever have imagined possible, his affection calming her and soothing her. His arms almost constantly around her, holding her. She could not tell him just how long it had been before she had felt so secure; felt as if someone actually cared about her.

Even when fear gripped her in sleep as she tried to escape some unknown threat, pursing her, attempting to attack her, she awoke to Ron’s arms around her.

“It was just a bad dream dear. You are safe…everything is okay
I will be here as long as you like to help you go back to sleep Emma.

And he stayed, holding her until she did finally drift off into now dreamless sleep.

It was as if her life was held in suspended animation until Ron told her that he was going to confront John. It was something he needed to do and Emma would not say a word to try to hold him back. When he left, she found herself pacing the kitchen, cleaning the surfaces, washing up, doing anything to distract herself. Her greatest fear was that John might say something to convince Ron that the fault was indeed all hers and that Ron would return and kick her out, or make her return to her husband. In some ways it was a relief to hear the answer phone.

“Listen, take your stuff and go into my bedroom. John is coming over and likely thinks you are there. He won’t check my bedroom. Just the same, I am sorry to ask for you to get in the closet. I am also sorry that I will have the talk with him and you will over hear.”

Yet that relief was short lived. Heading to her room, Emma grabbed her few possessions and suitcase and took them to Ron’s bedroom. She stashed them in the closet and made space for her to climb in and take refuge after them.

Downstairs it was obvious that the two men had arrived. She heard raised angry voices.
Emma strained to hear and sneaked out of the closet and opening the door to the bedroom, stepped out to listen to the commotion below.

“What? Are you fucking her? What is this?”

She heard her husband’s anger.

“You sick fuck. I love Emma as a sister.”

She sighed. The two men had seemed so similar once and now they seemed like two opposing sides of a coin. She only wished that this whole situation had not come between the two men. Either way, it was she who had caused the rift obvious by the argument that continued downstairs.

She heard the door handle being pulled open and ducked down to remain out of sight.

“We can’t all be perfect like you Ron. There are always two sides to every story.

It was John. She winced as she heard him continue.

”She isn’t the easiest person to live with the nagging and bitching. I can’t breathe with it all. She takes away me being a man with her shit. Mostly I am disappointed in you for buying her garbage. She has a spell on you man. You were supposed to be my friend.”

She watched as Ron followed him. The two continuing to exchange words outside.
Then she heard their car start up as John no doubt drove off.
Ducking back into the room, Emma did not bother to hide in the closet. Instead she waiting on Ron’s bed, her arms hugging one of his pillows to her chest as she tried to absorb the ramifications of what she had heard.

Ron opened the door and smiled at her softly.

“I am sorry Emma.”

Again he sat beside her and drew her towards him. Willingly she moved into his embrace, welcoming his hug as he told her softly.

“He is gone…not the man I thought I knew.”

He held her silently, until she finally murmured.

”I’m sorry ... “

He drew back then, his eyes searching her face.

”I’m sorry I’ve come between you both ... I should have told my family, told ... someone else ... it’s just that ... “

She sat back with a sigh.

”I’d tried to talk to John about how I felt. I warned him I couldn’t carry on living with is rages, his aggression. I planned it carefully, caught him between drinking binges. And he’d promised ... “

She shook her head recalling.

”He promised ... He was going to tell you about our ... problems ...
He promised that he would stay sober and that he’d tell you so that he could get help.”


She shook her head as if unable to understand how it could have gone so wrong.

”But ... he got drunk instead ... “

She shrugged. The rest Ron knew.

”I don’t want to make things difficult for you, Ron ... “

Emma told him softly.

” ... and I know I need to work out what to do next ... stand on my own two feet ... and I will get out from under your feet as soon as I can ... but ... “

She bit her lip as she confessed.

”I’m still afraid of what John might do. Especially when he realises that I’m never coming back.”

She moved towards Ron then, nestling against him without prompting.

” ... right now, here is the only place I feel safe ... with you ... “
 
Ron had her in a deep embrace both no doubt needed.
He held her silently, until she finally murmured.

”I’m sorry ... “ Emma stated

Ron drew back then, he looked at her intently.

”I’m sorry I’ve come between you both ... I should have told my family, told ... someone else ... it’s just that ... “ Emma continued.

She sat back with a sigh.

“Emma…you have no regrets honey. I won’t have any of you should have told any family. I am family to both of you. It is my honor to be here for you. Your family is over an hour drive away.” Ron said and took her hands and then pulled her back into a hug.

Ron started out holding Emma and laid back on the back still hugging her

”I’d tried to talk to John about how I felt. I warned him I couldn’t carry on living with his rages, his aggression. I planned it carefully, caught him between drinking binges. And he’d promised ... “ she explained.

“Baby, you shouldn’t have to deal with that. I hate to say…I wish I would have known earlier sweetie.” Ron added.

She shook her head recalling.

”He promised ... He was going to tell you about our ... problems ...
He promised that he would stay sober and that he’d tell you so that he could get help.”

“I know…I am sure he did. His pride is mighty powerful Emma. He didn’t like our talk about him gambling. I don’t know how many times I told him…no one on this planet’s opinion counts except his own but for the record there are two people that will love him no matter what .He just has to want to make the change.” Ron added.

She shook her head as if unable to understand how it could have gone so wrong.

”But ... he got drunk instead ... I don’t want to make things difficult for you, Ron ... “ Emma told him softly. Then she added, ” ... and I know I need to work out what to do next ... stand on my own two feet ... and I will get out from under your feet as soon as I can ... but ... “

“Emma…I want you to stay here. I especially want you to stay as long as you like. I am here for you dear but I care very deeply for you.” Ron said looking her in the eyes as his arms still holding her but now face to face laying down.

”I’m still afraid of what John might do. Especially when he realizes that I’m never coming back.” She stated.

“I promise Emma…you are safe. I swear if I have to…I will if John should try anything.” Ron said somberly not needing to fill in the blanks. He was a former Army Ranger. He had been awarded not only the purple heart but multiple medals like silver and bronze stars. He received by doing what it took in combat. If combat meant facing John then Ron was giving his oath to Emma what he would do.

She moved toward Ron and he hugged her as she said, ” ... right now, here is the only place I feel safe ... with you ... “

He touched the side of her face with his hand. He kissed her lips gently with a peck.
“Emma, I love you and won’t let anything happen to you. I promise that however anything goes that I will take care of you.” He said and hugged her.
 
John and Ron had always been close and when she’d married it were as if she had become part of that “family”. When things had started going wrong Ron was the only one she could turn to, purely because he loved John as much as she did and she knew that she would do the best to make things better, to keep them together.

Yet now, Ron had made it clear where his loyalties, or rather principles lay.
He told her she was family and that he wanted her to stay with him.

“Emma ... I care very deeply for you.
I promise Emma…you are safe. I swear if I have to…I will if John should try anything.”


She had known, but to hear him tell her that he would do whatever it took to protect her.
She sighed, laying beside him, feeling the tension leaving her body.
She smiled as his hand moved so gently down the side of her face.

“Emma, I love you and won’t let anything happen to you.

His gaze was intent willing her to believe that she never had to be frightened again. The soft kiss on her lips was unexpected, but so tender.

” I promise that however anything goes that I will take care of you.”

Again she was held tightly.
Like John he was strongly built with a taut body, yet rather than shrinking from physical contact, she was fascinated by the gentle protectiveness that he was showing her.

”... thank you ... “

The whispered words seemed so inadequate, but she just hoped he knew how deeply grateful she was. Her hand moved to Ron’s chest, stroking slowly as she snuggled against him as they lay together on his bed. Her breath was soft and regular on his neck as her petite body moulded comfortably against his.
 
Ron didn’t really consider any lines he was crossing as he kissed Emma’s lips much less how much he was hugging her and kissing her cheek or forehead.
”... thank you ... “ she replied to his promise to protect her no matter what.

Her hand moved across his chest, stroking slowly as she snuggled against him. Maybe at that moment, he realized that Emma was quite an attractive woman. He had been able to actually view her in some type of category that a man doesn’t think of a woman as a woman in prior to this. He especially was on the level with his feelings toward Emma the last day and half.

He snickered and she asked what.
“I just like to remember some of the happier times. I remember when John and I were out and he spotted you. He said he was going to make his move, I said not if I beat you to it. He tripped me and well…he made it to your table and I was still picking myself off the floor.” Ron said reminiscing.

“I always said to John, way would you want to be tied down to one woman. Its great to be a bachelor with all the freedom. I probably talked him out of a girlfriend or two. I never said that with you. I told the son a gun how lucky he was. He said this was the one…I said she just might be. She is a special woman. You are a lucky bastard.” Ron continued to recollect. Ron’s legs crossed with Emma’s legs as they got closer together than even hugging.

“Emma, I don’t want to make you uncomfortable…You were without a doubt the most beautiful bride on the planet on your wedding day. I have envied John for being you…but that day I would have traded my best day I had ever had to have been John for 3 hours.” Ron said and smiled as Emma looked a little embarrassed.

“What is wrong?” He said in a joking tone. He tickled her and they rolled around playfully. Finally they looked into each others eyes.

He kissed Emma more than a peck. He looked at her intently and then kissed her hard and passionately after the first soft gentle kiss.
 
Emma glanced up as she felt Ron’s chest move up and down as he chuckled and she asked him what he was thinking about.

“I just like to remember some of the happier times. I remember when John and I were out and he spotted you. He said he was going to make his move, I said not if I beat you to it. He tripped me and well…he made it to your table and I was still picking myself off the floor.”

She smiled as he talked remembering haw John had come over to her during a birthday meal.
There had been 8 girls there, but John had made a bee-line for her and not let the presence of a female group deter him.


“I always said to John, way would you want to be tied down to one woman.
Its great to be a bachelor with all the freedom. I probably talked him out of a girlfriend or two.”


She chuckled at the comment. John had always said to her that no woman would tie John down.
He had been with women since she and John had married, but the relationships always seemed casual to Emma. As far as she knew he had never been anywhere near to being in love.

”I never said that with you. I told the son a gun how lucky he was. He said this was the one…I said she just might be. She is a special woman. You are a lucky bastard.”

Emma moved comfortably, her legs instinctively crossing and winding around Ron’s.
She was warmed by his words about her and blocked the bitter sweet memories of her husband.


“Emma, I don’t want to make you uncomfortable…”

She glanced up as Ron continued.

”You were without a doubt the most beautiful bride on the planet on your wedding day. “

She smiled, blushing at the complement.

”I have envied John for being you…but that day I would have traded my best day I had ever had to have been John for 3 hours.”

Her blush deepened as she could not help the image of her stood beside Ron, rather than John.

“What is wrong?”

She grinned, at his teasing manner then squealed as he reached out to tickle her.
Her body was so sensitive and even his carefully light touches sent her into a convulsion of squirming. Breathlessly she wrestled with him, aware that even in “play” he was being careful about her rib and other bruises.
Suddenly they froze, their eyes locked.
He was much stronger then her and had her pinned.
She made to pull away, her breath rapid with the exertion of their improptu play session.
But his face was now just above hers and something in his gaze made her still.

Her eyes searched his.
This time when he lowered his head to kiss her, there was no laughter or messing around.
Her eyes widened as Ron bent his head downwards.
She almost held her breath, but did not move away.
The kiss was light, as it had been before. But it felt good to receive such affection.
Ron raised his head then, his eyes searching out hers, but Emma could infer no meaning from his intent look.

The kiss he pressed on her lips took Emma completely by surprise!
She barely was able to gather her breath when the next kiss brushed her lips and then pressed harder.
And unexpected as it was, the passion that grew with the kiss made her head spin.
She had no time to consider the rights and wrongs: Somehow she was kissing him back.
Clinging to him as his mouth pressed hard against her delicate lips.
Legs entwined, their bodies meshed together as they pressed closer.
Bruises and rib forgotten, in those moments, Emma craved the sensation of his hands stroking and pressing her body.

When finally they drew apart, Emma was flushed and breathless.

” ... oh my God ... “

She murmured incredulously.
She had no idea where that had come from and was stunned by the emotions and even arousal he Ron's kissing had drawn from her ...
 
Last edited:
When they finally drew apart it was like a wrecking ball hit him flush. He looked down and then at Emma.
She said, ” ... oh my God ... “

He cleared his throat.
“I have no regrets Em. You know I care deeply about you.” He said and got up.

“I know this wasn’t the right time for this…both of our minds are out of whack…and I had no intention of taking advantage of you. I apologize to that extent but what I won’t apologize for are feelings I have for you. I am not saying lets jump into a relationship…but I love you and at the very least Emma I want to take care of you and make sure you are safe. I like having you here if I can be selfish. Order a pizza for dinner? Sound good?” Ron said and fought to make a smile. He knew he crossed a lot of lines and boundaries.

Even with his speech he wasn’t shy about touching her as he led her by downstairs his arm around her waist and hand in hand. You would think she couldn’t walk with the attention he was giving her.

After she sat on the couch, he ordered a pizza once he checked her favorite. He sat next to her and his arm around her waist as she snuggled up to him. He flipped on the TV and turned to ask her a preference. He looked into her eyes. He brushed back hair in her face on the left side of her cheek. He kissed her once again and it was a long wet passionate kiss. He was hooked and he knew it. He did fight the urge of taking her completely there.
“Em…I…I don’t know. I just think my emotion meter is really running on all cylinders.” He tried to fight a laugh or two. They melded their bodies on the couch not too different to when they were on his bed with legs crossed and bodies tight as she rested her head on his chest. His hand massaging her back.
 
It was as if time stood still for the both of them as the reality of all those crossed lines hit home.

“I have no regrets Em. You know I care deeply about you.”

Emma too could not regret what they had shared, but there really had been nothing to suggest that she and Ron would ever be more than good friends ... until now ...

“I know this wasn’t the right time for this…both of our minds are out of whack…and I had no intention of taking advantage of you.”

She shook her head. No ... she could not accuse him of that. And the kiss had been very much a two-way thing.

” I apologize to that extent but what I won’t apologize for are feelings I have for you.
I am not saying lets jump into a relationship…but I love you and at the very least Emma I want to take care of you and make sure you are safe.”


He was looking at her as if he expect her to crumble or to take to her feet and run from him.
Instead Emma smiled and reached forward to kiss him on the cheek.

”I know ... and I love you dearly too Ron ... “

She told him softly.

”I like having you here if I can be selfish. Order a pizza for dinner? Sound good?”

She nodded agreement and by consensus they slid from his bed and returned downstairs.
Emma had expected that he would put some distance between them, but the way he walked with her, his hand around her waist, the way his arm wrapped around her as they sat on the sofa and the way he reached out to brush back a lock of her hair made her feel special and cared for; a feeling she hadn’t had for a long long time.

Whatever was happening between them, Emma knew it was useless trying to figure it out.
She had been so in love with her husband and had been determined to stick with him through anything. But the past year had been difficult and the last month, even more so. She had been faithful and loyal to John, even through the worst of times. She would never have left him for another man. She left for self preservation. She wasn’t ready for any type of new relationship, but as she snuggled against Ron on his sofa and watched the programmes they had selected, it just felt so right. Even when he kissed her again, the intensity of that act making both their senses reel, it was obvious that he was as stunned by how events had played out as she was.

“Em…I…I don’t know. I just think my emotion meter is really running on all cylinders.”

She shook her head incredulously as he laughed.

” ... this is .. crazy ... “

She murmured finally, but seemed to more closer if anything, rather than pull away from him.
His hand stroked her back gently as she watched the images dance across the TV screen.
John had never been a particularly “tactile” man. Sure he’d been highly sexed in the early days; but he’d been a selfish, what she’d call “functional” lover. If Ron’s treatment of her was any indication, Emma was sure that he would be much more sensual in his love making, though she could not deny there was a real spark of passion there that might make him unpredictable ...

She flushed hotly at the direction her thoughts were going in.
It was crazy that the day her libido decided to kick back in, she was to start entertaining “musings” about the sexual prowess of her husband’s best friend ...
 
Emma responded to the last kiss with, ” ... this is .. crazy ... “ and Ron nodded.

Ron talked in samll talk here and there.
"Look this might not be the most appropiate but your divorce...I um think that is not preventable. I want to be there with you Emma. I want to help you financially with it. I want you to be able to put it behind you. For John, I don't know if he will come around...but he needs to move on and I want to help him if I can at this point." Ron stated as he rubbed her shoulders and back.

Ron hopped up when the pizza arrived and paid the delivery driver. He brought it to the kitchen table. They sat and ate and were in decent spirits especially considering both were previously emotional wrecks and the right or wrong of kissing each entered each of their mind. They were again laughing and playful.

“You are a lot of fun to be with Emma. I have to say it has been a while when I recall since I have seen a smile on that pretty face much less add in a good laugh.” Ron remarked and took a drink.

“I just can’t say how happy I am to see it.” He adds and after they are done they both clean up. He playful action carries over to a little squirting of the water from the hose in the sink. I playful chase back to the couch. Ron and Emma fall on the couch and kiss passionately.

“Yeah this is crazy…but I don’t care Em.” Ron said as he kissed again and again.

“We can keep it at this Em…but I won’t object if you want to sleep in my bedroom. I am past figuring this out…I love and care for you. So, I am not pushing.” Ron stated as he kissed her one more time. He got up and headed to his bedroom. It was a tad early to turn in maybe but was that his intent to sleep.
 
Last edited:
“Look this might not be the most appropiate but your divorce...I um think that is not preventable... “

Emma said nothing but that word, “divorce” was like a slap in the face. Yes, she had left John and yes, that was what would be the outcome ... but ... it wasn’t something she could really get her head round right now.

Still ... she chose to put it aside as they enjoyed the pizza together, messed around a lot and finally ended up kissing again.

“You are a lot of fun to be with Emma. I have to say it has been a while when I recall since I have seen a smile on that pretty face much less add in a good laugh.
I just can’t say how happy I am to see it.”


Emma found Ron a fun distraction. But it was more than that. Even despite circumstances, she loved being with him. Loved the way he showered her with attention and affection and when he kissed her again, Emma could find no reason to push him away.

“Yeah this is crazy…but I don’t care Em... “

Emma took a steadying breath, wondering not for the first time how she had gotten herself into another passionate kissing session with Ron.

”... We can keep it at this Em…but I won’t object if you want to sleep in my bedroom.
I am past figuring this out…I love and care for you. So, I am not pushing.”


She watched as Ron kissed her than headed off to his bedroom.
The choice was hers.
He had invited her to sleep in his bedroom, but much as Emma wanted to curl up next to Ron and fall asleep safe in his arms, she believed that going to his room would lead to all sorts of complications; none of which she would regret, but all of which she would have to work out how to deal with.

She stood and went to the kitchen, flicking on the kettle. She watched the appliance as the heat element kicked in, the volume increasing until the bubbling water let off enough steam for it to click off. Taking out a mug she searched the kitchen cupboards, realising belatedly that Ron had no need of her herbal tea bags. So she left the full kettle and returned to the front room, settling onto the couch and straining her ears for any sound of Ron getting ready to sleep.

Giving a weary sigh, Emma clicked on the TV and tried to distract herself.

Ron wouldn’t push or rush her, but she had been so starved of affection and any physical attention for so long that Emma knew that if Ron made a move, she would find it impossible to resist him. But was that fair on him, on both of them? She didn't want to use him as an emotional prop!

The images played out on the screen. She watched them, their movement hypnotic, but meaningless.
She would go up to her own room soon, she decided. She couldn’t risk popping her head round the door to say good night to Ron ... she might be persuaded to change her mind, but then again, to walk right past his bedroom door, surely that would be rude...?
She sighed and curled up on the sofa, burying her head in the pillow, trying to get her thoughts straight.

The ring of the phone took her completely by surprise.
She raised her head watching the phone and saw the light flash and the answer phone click on.

”Ron! ... Ron! ... Pick up!”

It was John.

”Pick up you lousy Fuck!”

A crash, some swearing and then again. Obviously drunk.

”Get your sorry ass round to Macey’s. Gonna look up some old acquaintances ... ”

Unknown to Emma, Macey’s was the strip club John was taken to on his stag night.

”... You need to fuck around as much as me ... you uptight Bastard!”

He for one seemed to have "moved on". That much was clear to her.
 
Last edited:
Ron knew in his heart that things were a giant mess in his head and heart. He loved being there for Emma…but the kiss and then follow up kisses were wrong to have let happen much less push on Emma from his side al on many levels. He did love Emma but this wasn’t the right time or execution of the love he should have. If there was something else to his feelings, then he needed to clear his head and let her get on her own two feet.

He went upstairs and by the time he reached the top stair…he realized the error in judgment to have made the offer to sleep with him. He was pissed when John accused him of fucking Emma…could he not deny anything now and if she did take his invitation. Ron was a better man then to abandon his principles. He went to his room and just stared at the ceiling. His phone rang and the caller ID was John. The primary person in the world he now didn’t want to talk to. Was he apologizing or drunk and being even stupider? Ron just let the answering machine take it downstairs. He just obsessed every minute what John was calling about. He figured Emma must have followed him upstairs and went to her room. That would be a relief.
He decided to go downstairs and listen to the answering machine. When he got downstairs he froze a bit a Emma was still watching TV or something.
“Em, I uh don’t know how to say this. I am just really whacked out with the emotional roller coaster. I won’t make an excuse because actually…I have strong feelings for you and have for a long time. I think I let my emotional juices pump what the hell is it that Charlie Sheen has? Tiger blood or something got into me.” He said and chuckled. He came over and sat with her.

“You are a gorgeous and sweet great woman. I apologize for coming onto you so strong all day. I feel like a heel offering you to sleep with me, in the context of sex. I want to be here for you. I offer you to sleep with me with my arms around you Em so you know you are safe if you desire. I know you have had bad dreams and trouble sleeping. I want to concentrate on helping you through this and nothing more till it is over.” He states and hugs her.

“I also came down to hear the answering machine if that is cool. I know John called but didn’t pick up on my bedroom phone.” Ron says and moves to hit the answering machine button.

Ron listens and immediately grimaces, ”Ron! ... Ron! ... Pick up! Pick up you lousy Fuck!” A loud crash and his swearing under his breath.

Ron just shakes his head and gets a bit embarrassed.
”Get your sorry ass round to Macey’s. Gonna look up some old acquaintances .... You need to fuck around as much as me ... you uptight Bastard!”

Ron erased the message after that. He looked at Emma.
“Lord, I am sorry Em. I don’t get him at all. Last I recall we went there for his bachelor party…I have never known him to go there or a place like that since. I swear.” Ron said and sat back on the couch but not right up next to Emma due to his embarrassment.

“He acts totally like when we were what 19, 20 maybe 21? He hasn’t grown up. Just pathetic. Then again messing things up with you is beyond pathetic more like stupid.” Ron says outloud and then looks at Emma

“It is your call what you want to do tomorrow. If you want to file or wait or what you want to do with your day. I will stand by your side Emma.” Ron added and got up to go back upstairs.
 
Last edited:
Emma stared at the phone as it clicked and went silent. She’d suspected that John hadn’t been faithful over the past 6 months or so, though ironically, he’d become more and more possessive. Yes she had walked out, but by now, she had to admit there was no marriage left to walk out on.

She looked up as she heard footfalls on the stairs and saw Ron enter the room.

“Em, I uh don’t know how to say this. I am just really whacked out with the emotional roller coaster. I won’t make an excuse because actually…I have strong feelings for you and have for a long time. I think I let my emotional juices pump what the hell is it that Charlie Sheen has? Tiger blood or something got into me.”

Emma made no comment.
He had strong feelings for her and all this had been as difficult for him too.

“You are a gorgeous and sweet great woman. I apologize for coming onto you so strong all day. I feel like a heel offering you to sleep with me, in the context of sex.”

She blushed then. .... the context of sex ... it seemed so ... seedy, yet his offer had not been like that at all ...

” I want to be here for you. I offer you to sleep with me with my arms around you Em so you know you are safe if you desire. I know you have had bad dreams and trouble sleeping.
I want to concentrate on helping you through this and nothing more till it is over.”


She did not resist the hug, but wondered if now they had crossed that line it would be so easy as to just decide to stick to the ‘help and nothing more’ intention, for both of them?

“I also came down to hear the answering machine if that is cool. I know John called but didn’t pick up on my bedroom phone.”

It was bad enough hearing it the first time. The second time added insult to injury. To Emma it certainly told her just how much John wasn’t going to fight for the marriage.

“Lord, I am sorry Em. I don’t get him at all. Last I recall we went there for his bachelor party…I have never known him to go there or a place like that since. I swear.”

So Ron had not actually known anything about her husband’s recent, “activities”. That knowledge at least was a relief.


“He acts totally like when we were what 19, 20 maybe 21? He hasn’t grown up. Just pathetic. Then again messing things up with you is beyond pathetic more like stupid.”

She could see this behaviour was news to Ron. But though shocking, it was no less than Emma had suspected. In many ways it was a relief to have someone else to act as a witness to her husband's 'infidelities'.

“It is you call what you want to do tomorrow. If you want to file or wait or what you want to do with your day. I will stand by your side Emma.”

She shook her head. She would file for divorce, soon, but not yet. She had to be in a better state of mind, to be thinking more clearly before she went to the courts, but perhaps ... there were things to be done before that ...
Ironically, right now it was more important for her to sort things out with Ron.
He seemed intent on apologising to her for the intimacy they had shared.

”And what if what I want is to ... sleep with you ... be ... with you ...?”

She asked, stopping him as he moved to go back upstairs.

”Neither of us went looking for this, Ron. We’ve known each other years and like you said, we’ve been family, like brother and sister ... “

She smiled at the memory of Ron’s past visits and times spent with she and John.

” ... but ... “

She blushed as she looked at him.

” ... I really don’t feel very ... sisterly ... any more ... “

Their relationship had shifted irrevocably. There was no explanation or reason to it. And it was no one's fault. There was no way he had pushed her into anything.
They could now either suppress it, or go with it.

”It doesn’t make sense ... and the timing is lousy ... but .... “

She sighed softly; the intensity of her response to Ron amazed her. Yet everything they had shared all seemed so ... natural ...

”I can’t just turn off the way I feel ... “

She confessed.

” ... can you ...?”
 
Ron made his speech and feelings very clearly but Emma managed to stop him. He was an emotional wreck on a roller coaster of emotions.

He listened and froze in place.

”And what if what I want is to ... sleep with you ... be ... with you ...? Neither of us went looking for this, Ron. We’ve known each other years and like you said, we’ve been family, like brother and sister ... but ... “ she said

He watched her blush and he himself felt very openly embarrassed as this had come to this. He wasn’t going to be there for her or asked to just be there for her.

” ... I really don’t feel very ... sisterly ... any more ... It doesn’t make sense ... and the timing is lousy ... but .... “ she added

Ron had made the same excuse in his speeches. Little did she know how he really felt.

”I can’t just turn off the way I feel ... can you ...?” she confessed.

“Em, there is a lot I have left out but I think if you piece together things I have said…you know I have had feelings for you long before the last 2 days.” Ron confessed back.

“Emma lets talk.” Ron said as he sat down with her on the couch.

“Two and half years ago roughly John was lucky enough to approach you before I was. I have to tell you that I was a bar hopping SOB and took girls home just to get my rocks off. It took a couple of times going out with you and John…I became a changed man. I have dated 4 women after that time over the span 2 plus years in the hopes they would be the one…my Emma. The problem as I got to know you is that you ruined me for the rest of any women I tried to develop a relationship with. They weren’t Emma. Some might have been lookers but none were the total package and as totally gorgeous body and mind as you. I am sorry but the more I was around and the more I knew you I knew how wonderful you are.” Ron said holding her hands.

“I feel like a heel for feeling that way about my best friend’s girlfriend and later wife. I will say however Em…I have made myself suppress these feelings and I in my heart had always wanted for you two to be great together. I constantly told John how lucky he was and you were a keeper.” Ron said and looked straight into her eyes.

“So..you ask about turning off how I feel…I always have felt I have had a solid code of conduct before the military, it was just magnified the Honor, Integrity, Respect and other values I have. It is important to me to look at the guy in the mirror every morning and be happy with what I see. That is how I suppressed my feelings to a large extent. But now, John has apparently made his move. A lot of things he could fix, a lot of things I was happy to help him fix such as gambling and helping with a lean time or two money wise, maybe even the alcohol I could have helped him with. But the abuse…and now going out…I do not feel guilty in anything we have done. I want you to know my true feelings, because I have no guilt in wherever this goes between us.” Ron said and leaned in and kissed her lips soft then the next kiss was passionate. He took by the hand and walked with her up the stairs to his room.
 
” ... can you ...?”

The question hung in the air between them.

“Em, there is a lot I have left out but I think if you piece together things I have said…you know I have had feelings for you long before the last 2 days.”

Emma’s eyes widened in amazement. Ron’s words came as a total shock to her.

” .. but ... “

She shook her head speechlessly and allowed Ron to lead her back to the couch, her eyes searching his as he insisted that they talk.

“Two and half years ago roughly John was lucky enough to approach you before I was. “

She nodded. He had said as much before, but she hadn’t realised how serious he had been about wanting to approach her.

”I have to tell you that I was a bar hopping SOB and took girls home just to get my rocks off.
It took a couple of times going out with you and John…I became a changed man.
I have dated 4 women after that time over the span 2 plus years in the hopes they would be the one…my Emma.”


She knew John had talked about their antics of the past and that Ron had dated very few women during the years of their marriage.

”The problem as I got to know you is that you ruined me for the rest of any women I tried to develop a relationship with. They weren’t Emma. Some might have been lookers but none were the total package and as totally gorgeous body and mind as you.”

Emma blushed hotly at that. She had never imagined that he felt like that about her: That he wanted her in that way!

”I am sorry but the more I was around and the more I knew you I knew how wonderful you are.”

She gripped his hands as they held hers.

”But ... you never said ... “

He had never done anything that gave her any insight into his feelings.

“I feel like a heel for feeling that way about my best friend’s girlfriend and later wife. I will say however Em…I have made myself suppress these feelings and I in my heart had always wanted for you two to be great together. I constantly told John how lucky he was and you were a keeper.”

She raised her eyes to his and smiled with a nod. Even when he had loaned her the money, when he had spoken to John of his drinking and gambling, he had always tried to keep them together.

“So..you ask about turning off how I feel…I always have felt I have had a solid code of conduct before the military, it was just magnified the Honor, Integrity, Respect and other values I have. It is important to me to look at the guy in the mirror every morning and be happy with what I see. That is how I suppressed my feelings to a large extent. “

She squeezed his hands. What he had spoken about whas a revelation, but he had nothing to berate himself for. He had always been his comrades friend first and foremost.

”But now, John has apparently made his move.”

She glanced at the phone. If her suspicions were right, John had ‘made his move’ a long time ago.

”A lot of things he could fix, a lot of things I was happy to help him fix such as gambling and helping with a lean time or two money wise, maybe even the alcohol I could have helped him with. But the abuse…and now going out…I do not feel guilty in anything we have done. I want you to know my true feelings, because I have no guilt in wherever this goes between us.”

The choice was still Emma’s. If she did not want to get involved with him, she knew that he would still take care of her and help her. But as he dropped a light kiss on her lips, she could think of no reason to put distance between them. She could have pulled away, brought the kiss to a halt, but Emma found herself responding as the kiss deepened once more.

Their feelings were beyond words. Emma allowed him to take her hand and draw her up from the sofa. Her hand remaining in his as they went up the stairs and turned towards his bedroom.

As Ron closed the door, Emma crossed the room and sat on the bed. It had gotten late and they had both been through so much turmoil. She shrugged off her jacket and kicked off her foot wear.

”.. hold me?”

She asked shyly, holding her arms out as Ron moved towards her.
She wanted to feel close to him and clung to him tightly.

” ... all those years ... “

She murmured ...

”... I ... never knew ....”

It was she who kissed him then, the slightest wince as they moved closer making her vaguely aware of the hidden bruises and the rib injury she had actually not followed up on properly.

”Will you help me make a doctor’s appointment tomorrow...? “

The soft request seemed to come out of nowhere as they lay together.

”I ... think I need to start to get myself sorted properly ... planning for my future ... “

... and that included preparing for divorce proceedings ...
Whatever happened between them that night, or the days to come, Emma was ready to think of herself now and to move on ... in more ways than one ...
 
Ron walked with her to hi bedroom and closed the door. She was sitting on the bed and kicked off her shoes.
”.. hold me?” she asked.

He nodded as he kicked off his shoes and took off his shirt and joied her sitting then laying on the bed with his arms around her.

” ... all those years ... I ... never knew ....” she remarked.

“It is not something I would say I am proud of. I almost question if I had jealous eyes of my best friend’s wife. I don’t think so as I feel I tried to support and encourage him. I don’t know all the stuff he did over the last 2 years…we don’t work together like we did in the Rangers. I know some of those firemen do go out and to places like he was going tonight but he never invited me and I never heard him talk about it. Still, after the abuse I am highly disappointed with John for doing that. I know it sounds weird but I just believed he was a better man.” Ron said.

It was her who kissed him then, then she winced.
”Will you help me make a doctor’s appointment tomorrow...? “ she asked.

“Are you kidding…I demand to make sure you go tomorrow immediately Emma. If I am not happy with the doctor then I will take you to a specialist. You really shouldn’t have let this go baby.” He said and kissed her cheek.

”I ... think I need to start to get myself sorted properly ... planning for my future ... “ she replied as they laid together.

“I just want to be by your side Em. It doesn’t matter to me in the big picture of your choice of decisions except I want you safe and happy. I can say now comfortably…I love you. I have been in love with you…but now I can truly love you as I desire.” He said and kissed her lips gently.

They just laid there running their hands up and down each other a cross from massage to exploration maybe. Not much more needed to be said this was euphoria. Both very content to just be here in this way with the other.

He eventually slipped her clothes off including bra and panties. He covered her in bed and took off his clothes off. He then crawled in the bed and kissed her neck and cheek but just wrapped his arms around her.
“Em, I just want to hold you tonight. With your ribs and all…I think we can wait for sex another time. I am more than satisfied to feel your gorgeous body against mine.” He whispered.

He got up early as in 4 am to do his 5 mile run. He got back home and took a TV tray up to his bedroom with a cup of coffee and a danish, fruit, and English muffin. He kissed her forehead.
“Breakfast in bed sweetie pie.” He said and handed her the tray.

"Play your cards right and I might be wiling to do your back in the shower baby." he said seductively.
 
Last edited:
“It is not something I would say I am proud of. I almost question if I had jealous eyes of my best friend’s wife. I don’t think so as I feel I tried to support and encourage him. I don’t know all the stuff he did over the last 2 years…we don’t work together like we did in the Rangers. I know some of those firemen do go out and to places like he was going tonight but he never invited me and I never heard him talk about it. Still, after the abuse I am highly disappointed with John for doing that. I know it sounds weird but I just believed he was a better man.”

Emma too had expected more of her husband, but if she were honest, that faith in him and been slowly eroded over the past year. She had honestly had never considered having a relationship with her husband’s best friend and although he had always been there for her, then as now, there were never any “strings” attached.

She smiled as he responded to her tentative suggestion to see a doctor.

“Are you kidding…I demand to make sure you go tomorrow immediately Emma. If I am not happy with the doctor then I will take you to a specialist. You really shouldn’t have let this go baby.”

She shouldn’t have let it go, but she’d had no choice. Partly pressure from John, partly fear of medics realising how she had gotten her injuries had led to their mutual agreement that after an initial consultation, Emma would not attend any follow up appointments for her rib. It never occurred to her to get any other injuries checked out. In many ways the bruises had become almost routine for her now.

“I just want to be by your side Em. It doesn’t matter to me in the big picture of your choice of decisions except I want you safe and happy. I can say now comfortably…I love you. I have been in love with you…but now I can truly love you as I desire.”

His words shocked her, but did not scare her. She smiled as he kissed her gently. John had been a man of show, of the big gesture. He played the loving husband to the audience around them, but Emma questioned now if they had ever really had any intimacy or affection within their marriage. As she lay now feeling the light touch of Ron’s hands on her body and reached shyly out to him Emma wondered why she had never realised that there was so much missing from her marriage, even before the most recent events.

It seemed natural that he eased off her clothes. Her only reservation was that she did not want him to see bruising he was as yet unaware of, but as if sensing her resistance, covered her in bed and took off her remaining clothes and then his own. Then he was beside her and she felt him wrap his arms around her and draw him to the warmth of his body as she shivered nervously at the contact.

“Em, I just want to hold you tonight. With your ribs and all…I think we can wait for sex another time. I am more than satisfied to feel your gorgeous body against mine.”

She nodded and exhaled relaxing. She knew Ron wouldn’t hurt her or push her into something before she was ready, but all this was so confusing that Emma was feeling overwhelmed by the strength of Ron’s emotions, undemanding though he was.
And yet, he seemed to understand her. He did not grasp at her or pin her to him, rather he offered her the warmth and security of his body and allowed her to nestle closer, stroking her hair as she sighed softly, freeing her from the most immediate memories that seemed to haunt her. And so, when Emma did drift off to sleep in his arms, her rest was untroubled by nightmares and for once her sleep was deep and undisturbed.


“Breakfast in bed sweetie pie.”

A kiss on her forehead as she blinked awake to meet with Ron’s wide grin. Slowly she eased upright, the covers falling to reveal her bare upper body as she belatedly realised that she was naked.

“Play your cards right and I might be wiling to do your back in the shower baby.”

Emma’s eyes widened at the seductive tone in his voice and blushed as she readjusted the covers to afford some modesty and sipped at the coffee realising that for the first time in ages she was actually hungry.

” ... you’re definitely out to spoil me ... “

She commented shyly as she bit into the danish.

” ... I could get used to this ... “

She smiled, but seemed concerned somehow. Tapping the bed, she urged Ron to sit and took his hand in hers.

”Ron ... you’ve been so good to me ... and I know there’s no ... pressure here ... but ... “

She flushed as she considered her words, hoping he would understand.

” ... everything else aside ... I want to be here ... with you ... to.. be with you ... but ... “

She could imagine how John would react if he knew they were “together” and what his accusations might be.

”... I loved my husband, though .... to be honest, I haven’t been in love with him for a long time now ... but the idea of ‘us’ ... that’s all new to me ... “

She smiled, it was a wonderfully new development that she had never imagined to factor into events.

” ... I just don’t want to use you. And I know that’s what John will think. He doesn’t have a high opinion of me of late. The things he’s accused me of when he found out about the money... I just don’t want to turn into that kind of person and take advantage of your feelings ... “

Emma knew she could come to care very deeply for Ron, it was just that she wasn’t sure she was quite there yet ...
 
Emma looked up as Ron brought her breakfast tin bed.

” ... you’re definitely out to spoil me ... I could get used to this ... “ Emma stated.

She tapped the bed and urged Ron to sit and took his hand in hers He listened intently as he knew she was on a roller coaster fo emotions and this was going to be overwhelming from time to time.

”Ron ... you’ve been so good to me ... and I know there’s no ... pressure here ... but … everything else aside ... I want to be here ... with you ... to.. be with you ... but ... I loved my husband, though .... to be honest, I haven’t been in love with him for a long time now ... but the idea of ‘us’ ... that’s all new to me ... “ she said

Ron was ready to speak at any time but didn’t want to interrupt her. He just took both of her hands now in his.

” ... I just don’t want to use you. And I know that’s what John will think. He doesn’t have a high opinion of me of late. The things he’s accused me of when he found out about the money... I just don’t want to turn into that kind of person and take advantage of your feelings ... “ Emma added and finished for Ron to say a word or two.

“Emma, I don’t disagree with anything you have said. We have talked about most of it and much more. I love you and you know that. As far as each of us being in love with each other….we know that takes proper time. There is far too much that has to be done to think that far in the future other than…the possibility.” He stated and kissed her cheek.

“I care about you being in good spirits and happy darling. Next, I want you to get yourself taken care of medically. That bothers me a lot especially knowing pain you live with. I guess after that it is up to you. I support you however you choose to proceed. If a divorce is the next path to travel then I will get a lawyer and get it done quickly and as painlessly as possible. Then after again it is your move baby. You know at that point we might be ready for a good courtship but in the end Emma…my love for you is mainly wanting you to be happy and bring back that smile on a regular basis that I love so much.” He said and smiled. He got up and kissed Emma’s forehead.

“Let me know when you are ready to get moving dear. Of course the help I offered in the shower is still out there.” He said and smiled joking.

He gave her a light hug as she came downstairs ready to go. He took her to health clinic out of town.
“I don’t think going to a doctor in town is wise as we are still hiding your whereabouts from John. Much less the first thing they will do is ask you about a domestic violence situation before they obviously see your issues sweetie.” Ron explains as he pulls into a clinic 20 miles from their city.

Ron takes her in and has her fill out the paperwork. He explains to the clerk that this will be paid for in cash. Another gesture to keep everything anonymous. That way John’ insurance will not be used.
“If you want me in there for anything all you have to do is ask.” He states as her name is called.
 
Back
Top