Another Way Of Life (Closed)

Mayu

Ghost Of Who I Was
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Posts
22,651
It was the kind of thing she remembered every day of her life, she remembered what it was like to struggle. She herself knew what it was like to not have food on the table, to have what you cared for die before her very eyes. Chicago was not friendly to those unless you had money, Eden was a city kid she always had been. Her mother left her with her father when she was five, and never came back. Her father made the most of a bad situation.

Though she could always feel the kindness from her father, he worked long hours. They may have only had maybe an hour or two to hang out. But she did not mind, since he put food on the table. But her life changed at the age of seventeen years old, she had been playing at the club and someone heard her playing and gave her a contract, she was very happy about it and when she rushed home. She found her father dead on the floor, someone broke in.

She had to bury her own father that day, it was something that haunted her off and on since she was a kid. But now at the age of nineteen she had everything she could ever want, but she never let money challenge the kind of person she was. It was rather nice to have the things she wanted. But she also gave back a lot as well, she helped people when ever she could. She even had a special foundation for the needy, for people looking for another chance.

It was nasty outside as Eden was walking the streets, she lived in the high end area of the city and enjoyed her life. Sighing a bit as her grey eyes scanned the area, a kind smile on her face as she stuck her hands into her coat pockets, seeing her breath every single time she exhaled and enjoyed the time. Sitting on a bench as she just sometimes did watching people in cars drive back and forth. Here being normal she had fun.
 
Not everything in life goes according to plan. Nobody knew that better than Henry Gibson. Oh things started out ok. He grew up in a typical household, bouncing back and forth between divorced parent that were bitter and more interested in living for themselves than for their son. But he managed to rise above it all. At least he graduated from high school. And he had good enough grades that he could have gone to college had he been able to afford it. But he couldn’t. And it wasn’t as if his parents could help him even if they had wanted.

He took a job as a welder out of school and was able to move out on his own. He spent his free time hanging out with buddies, drinking beer and generally trying to make ends meet week to week. And then one night, he met Jenny. She was from a well to do family and was way out of his league. But somehow, she managed to find something in him she liked. And she hung around even though her parents clearly did not approve. Henry eventually asked her to marry him and to everyone’s surprise, she accepted.

They were married for two years before Henry came home early one day to find her fucking his best friend. Three months and countless fights later, they were getting divorced. Her parents helped with her attorney where Henry could hardly afford one. So it was no wonder that he lost everything in the divorce. Not long after that, he lost his job and found himself penniless with bills he could not pay. He got kicked out of his apartment two months later with nowhere to go. His parents were rid of him and his friends wanted nothing to do with him. Fortunately for Henry, it was during the warmer summer months. He resorted to living out of his broken down car until it was eventually towed by the city.

Now it was late fall. The weather was getting very cold, especially at night. Henry was now living in a makeshift camp with several other homeless folks in the woods just outside the main park downtown. It was an area on the fringe of the high rent district. Known by the local police, they were tolerated and allowed to hang out in the area so long as they were not hassling the locals or causing any trouble. On these really cold days Henry spent the days walking around trying to stay warm. He walked along the trails in the park and up and down the sidewalks of the city. Trying to stay in the sunlight, finding warmth were he could while avoiding eye contact with the rich people of the area, in their fancy cars and heavy warm coats. He knew he was a sore site to be sure. Dirty clothes, filthy hands, matted hair. He relied on the few handouts offered to buy a cup of coffee and sit in the warmth of the diner. Washing up in the sinks of the bathroom when he could.

On this cold day, Henry meandered up and down the sidewalks wondering just what wrong with his life. What did he do to deserve such a pitiful existence? He was not so worthless as he seemed. He still had a warm, generous heart. And a good strong work ethic. All he needed was a chance. But chances were few and far between for people in his situation.
 
Seasons came people were always the same, most were selfish. Only looking out for other people, it was rather hard to sit still. Eden was the type of girl who just wanted to really belong to someone. She did not really have a dominate personally, unless it came from her job. Battling people to get a record made, Eden was a simple girl who wanted things to run smoother. But knew that it was actually just a dream, a dream she wanted to come true.

But if wishes came true then there would be no starving people any place, there would be peace. No war and no problems, but that was a dream that destroyed the human condition. The human condition is the reason they were so flawed, Eden saw things in a different way. Though she never showed this side to anyone, she pushed people away not trusting anyone. Her family life was really nothing, her father was a drug addict and her mother to busy being a doctor.

Eden walked the streets of Chicago and it was getting even colder, she decided to move and walk around. Since she was rather cold, and waking around helped her stay very warm. She was humming one of her songs, but noticed a man he seemed very down in his luck. People ignoring him like he was a bug to be crushed, but not to Eden. She saw an opportunity to actually do some good with her money, Eden never did get a loft.

She lived a simple life, a nice simple apartment and a simple car. Though she did not really use it at all. The man she figured had been homeless, so walking up to him she smiled. Eden had no idea what the hell she was doing, but she did not want to trick him of course. She was not so cruel as other people in the damn city, she took out some money and put it in his cup it was five thousand dollars. Not really thinking she smiled at the guy and headed away.

In the back of her mind she would hope that he would go after her, perhaps talk with her. She was never good with people, she was shy around men. And never knew why she was shy. But all in all she stopped by the bench not to far from him and sat down, she was writing a text on her cell phone. Still humming the song that was in her mind, she wanted to make sure to keep the song locked away. For another new song, which was fun.

Working was fun and it had its own rewards, once the text was sent she slipped her phone back into her purse. Watching as the taxis were driving back and forth, the street covered in yellow taxis that were so cramped together. It looked like the yellow brick road from Wizard Of Oz. Which was strange to even think about things like that, she was enjoying the breeze. Closing her eyes she could smell a little of the crisp clean air that could be smelt in certain parts of the city.
 
The wind was really blowing today and Henry had to stay wrapped up tight with his wind breaker and kept his head down even more than usual to try to stay warm. He wondered if today might be one of those rare days where it made more sense to stay still, hidden from the biting wind rather than walking around to keep warm. His head was hanging so low now, he hardly saw where he was going. Not walking really. Just shuffling his feet, moving forward but going nowhere. He held his coffee mug limply in his hand. It was metal and cold but unbreakable. And during those precious moments when he sat in the diner drinking a fresh cup, the metal radiated warmth to his bare hands.

Occasionally people would bump into him slightly on the crowded walk way. To the point that he hardly noticed when he felt the slightest of tugs on his mug. He didn’t even look up to acknowledge the person bumping into him. Glancing down, he could see there was money in it now where before there was nothing. It wasn’t unusual for people to offer him handouts along his walks but he certainly was not expecting anything while we he was stumbling along in the cold with his head down. You usually had to make some kind of pathetic eye contact to illicit a handout. But this one came from out of the blue. Completely unexpected. But that was not the only thing that caught him off guard. He stared at his cup for a long moment, not really comprehending what he was seeing. Yes there was money in his cup. Ok. So that was not so unusual. But this time, there seemed to be a lot of it. Numerous bills. Not a single one. Or even a five or ten. But a wad of bills.

Henry just stared at the money. Afraid to touch it for fear that it might somehow disappear. Some cruel mirage. Lord knows he could use more than a couple of dollars. To get a real meal. Maybe even find a place to buy a coat. Or a sleeping bag. His needs at this point were minimal. But they still required money he did not have. Finally, he could resist no more as he reached into the cup and took out the wad of bills to see just how much he had. Frozen. Stunned. There was no other way to describe what happened to him at that moment when he pulled the bills form his sad little cup. They were hundred dollar bills! All of them. He looked around suddenly in fear. Fear that someone might see him with the money and try to steal it from him. He quickly pushed the bills back down in his cup and covered it with his free hand. Then he looked around. Who could have done that? And why? There were people all around. But the nearest person, the one most likely to have given him the money was a young woman walking away from him. He couldn’t really see her. Just the back of her long heavy coat. The others within sight were too far away. It could not have been any of them. But then again, surely it was not the young woman he saw walking away. Young people didn’t have that kind of money. Certainly not enough to give so much away. And young people were not the kind of people that typically helped people like him.

It had to be her. But, it had to be a mistake. He just stood there. Confused. Not sure what to do. He watched we continue walking and then suddenly sit down at one of the many park benches scattered around the park. He had no idea what it all meant, but he knew one thing. The money was not his. There was obviously some mistake. Even if she meant to give him some money, there is no way she meant to give him that much. It wasn’t his and he had no right to keep it if it was given to him by mistake. Such were the values he held dear no matter how down on his luck he might have been. He kept looking around to see if anyone was watching him. Or following him. But he was alone and ignored. As he always was. He slowly walked up to the young woman who seemed to be staring ahead. As he approached her, he could see she was beautiful. And well kept. Someone of money. She was clean and well dressed with styled hair. Her designer clothes fashionable and fitted. He decided to approach her carefully.

“Excuse me ma’am. Did you drop some money in my cup when you walked by just now?”

She looked up and smiled a wonderful warm smile and nodded politely.

“Um, ma’am, I’m afraid there has been a mistake. I’m afraid you put the wrong money in my cup.” And with that, he reached in and grabbed the wad of money, holding his hand out to her in an effort to return it.
 
Her camel colored jacket protected her from the bitter cold, and really was glad she had a place to go. Her greyish blue eyes scanning the area, it was rather nice to do something good for a change. Life was a pain in the ass, though what she was doing she had no damn idea. Eden was lonely and it was easy to see if you looked into her eyes, she wanted to reach out to someone. With no parents, and no hope really to ever feel the whole in her heart.

Sure it may have been a rather corny thing to think about, but really all in all she was not to worried about it. She was the girl in school with no friends or boyfriends, even now. She took a couple college courses, trying to find her place in the world. But she was never happy in college doing nothing. While she was sitting she did not notice the man coming up to her, she was oblivious of him near. There were just some things in life she can not fathom.

But then she noticed a shadow coming up to her, since the sun was hitting over her at a nice angle and it made everything shiny. Though it kinda hurt her eyes so she made sure not to look onto any of the cars as not to blind herself, her black hair lay close to her body. Her stormy eyes just relaxing and curious as to what today would bring to her. She hoped it was something very good, since she did not want to let today turn into a disaster.

Then it happened she heard a voice and looked to see who it was, and was surprised to see the man. Cocking her head a little to the side, she heard what he said and gave him a rather soft smile. Looking at him with the money, she reached over to his hand, making it so he himself was hanging onto the money. She did not know how to proceed with this. She was never good with men, and she could tell he was cute under all the dirt and mud he had on.

"No it wasn't a mistake I know how much I gave you, I wanted to help you. I have enough money to do that for someone, so don't worry about it. Though I would hide it don't want anyone to pick pocket you or worse, bumping into a police officer thinking you stole that money. I would even be willing to give you more then five thousand dollars. I would give you a roof over your head, nice shower and a very nice warm meal"

Everything was coming to a head, and looking at the man she patted the spot beside her to sit. She did not care what others thought or saw, what she saw was a man under all that. Wanting so very much to get him back on his feet, and would be willing to do anything. "Hell I would even make you my personal assistant, god a record contract and wanted to share what I got. Some think I am very crazy and unstable but I don't care what they think"
 
“Um, ma’am, I’m afraid there has been a mistake. I’m afraid you put the wrong money in my cup.” And with that, he reached in and grabbed the wad of money, holding his hand out to her in an effort to return it.

As expected, the young woman reached out and Henry prepared to let go of the wad of bills. He really was not prepared for her to reach out and place her small, clean, delicate hand on his. How long had it been since someone of money and comfort had given him the time of day? Probably close to a year now. He had almost forgotten what it was like to talk to someone educated. Someone who spoke with clear diction and proper grammar. All of his homeless peers now were terribly uneducated. Way below average. And they had all regressed to a level of slang that often made it difficult to understand them. And what of her touch? The feeling of her soft, sensitive skin on his sent a jolt through him. It was not just unexpected. But it had been so long since he had felt the touch of another. Not to mention the touch of a beautiful young woman. Oh there was nothing sexual in her touch. At least not intended. But he couldn’t help but feel the stirring of some long repressed sexual tension.

His head was spinning. There was just too much unexpected information for him to process all at once. The cold had chilled him to the bone and dulled his senses. And his plight left him defeated and resigned. Yet here was a young, beautiful woman reaching out to him. Speaking to him. Offering him five thousand dollar. And touching him. It was all too much to believe. It was so far from the norm he has grown to expect that he viewed her with great skepticism. She tried to be reassuring with him, explaining her position. She could easily afford it. And she wanted to help him. When was the last time someone offered to help him? He couldn’t remember. She offered him more than the money. She offered him a roof, a shower, a hot meal and warm, soft bed. He was beginning to feel weak.

Then she patted the seat next to her and invited him to join her on the bench. Normally, he would have dismissed her as crazy or a fraud. But he needed to sit down. And he needed to settle his thoughts.

“Ma’am, I don’t know what to say. No one has ever been that nice to me. I don’t even know what I would do with five thousand dollars.” There was a long silence between them as she left her hand on his. “But I sure could use a hot shower and night out of the cold.”

He looked up and out over the cold, barren park. There were people walking here and there, but they were all walking quickly. Occasionally, he would see someone look up at them sitting on the bench. And some of those would take a quick double take. Then move on. They were not enjoying the park. They wanted to get where they had to go and get back inside where it was warm.

“Ma’am, as much as I would love to accept your generosity, I can’t just accept it. I want to offer you something in return. Do you have any work I can do around your house? I can weld and paint. And repair things around the house.”

She then proceeded to offer him a job as her assistant.

“Ma’am, I don’t know a thing about the music industry. And I wouldn’t know the first thing about being your personal assistant. But I sure would like a chance to take a hot shower and get a good night’s sleep.”
 
Life was cruel to everyone unless you were born into money, unless you had the beauty and charm to do something with your looks. All in all things happened for a reason, so her mother always told her. But here she did not see the point of it, so many people are selfish. Some just do not care, but not everyone was Eden. She knew what it was like to struggle, knew what it meant to not know where the next meal would come from. Eden was different.

Hearing what the man said and how she held his hand, she could tell he was very surprised about touching him. He may have had dirty hands but it did not upset her, or make her want to not touch him. Behind the dirt was a man, a man who was down on his luck. And that was one thing that bothered her, celebrities making millions of dollars and they don't donate any of it to charity. That upset her a lot, and was never afraid to speak out about it.

But hearing what he said about not knowing a think about the industry, Eden could not help but giggle a little bit. Sitting back she heard what he said about the offer wanting to be warm even if its for one night. But then thinking about the work he would offer her, brushing her hand against her red cheek and silently sighed. Unsure what to do at this moment, where to go with him first. Since she would help him in any way she could.

"To be an assistant well at least mine it's more really like being a companion, I don't expect you to know a thing about my work since really it would be simple job. Remind me of appointments, getting me things I need. But my place does need some fixing up, probably have a couple of months work at least, has a guest room you could have. And frankly having someone to talk to is payment enough, just because I have money doesn't mean I'm not lonely."

Well she did know that it was starting to snow and was just getting more miserable out, so this was when she would have to get a move on. Smiling a little as she looked over at the guy. "Well my place is maybe ten minute walk from here, there you can wash up. Have some clothing that should fit and once you get a nice warm meal we can go shopping and we can find ways to pay it off by work. But we should go it's going to get even more nasty out"

Slowly standing up she ran her fingers in her black hair and could not help but smile a bit, looking back at the stranger she knew this was probably foolish since she did not know the man. And did not know what more to say, but I was ready to go any way it was miserable outside and did not like feeling like this. Eden always hated the winter, she loved all other seasons but winter was the worst one of all the seasons. So she just grinned a bit.

"And what's your name? I'm Eden Wolf but Eden is fine" She said with a very happy tone to her voice. She was not afraid of anything that he could do, Eden did know self defense after all. But felt he was no threat to her, it was hard to know for sure. But his eyes had so much sadness in them it almost made her want to break down and cry herself. But she was strong and extended her hand out for him to take, not caring if he was dirty did not bother her. "Let's get you out of the cold"
 
Was it just the cold? Or was it that it had been so long since he had engaged with someone of class and stature? In any case, Henry was struggling to make sense of it all. Today started out like any other day. Cold, miserable and alone. And somewhere along the way, things turned upside down. A complete stranger slipped five thousand dollars in his cup without him hardly noticing. Then the stranger turned out to be a beautiful young woman. Surely it was a mistake. But when he approached her to return the money, she insisted it was no mistake. And she invited him to sit down and talk. She even touched him without withdrawing her hand in disgust. And now, she offered him the chance to go home with her. A hot shower. Clean clothes. A warm meal. And even a job. He looked around cynically, wondering if it were some cruel joke. Or maybe one of those TV shows. What was going on here?

It had started to snow as the woman stood to leave. She turned to look at him as if acknowledging this was no joke. It was real and she was looking for confirmation from him that he understood or would take her up on her offer. And yet, Henry just stared for along moment. This woman, this incredibly kind soul, was young. Very young. And she seemed to have not just class, but wealth of her own. Her eyes were beautiful and set. Greyish blue, they seemed so open, so genuine and so caring. And they seemed to see right through him. Her hair was long and dark and as she ran her fingers through her hair, he realized just how long it had been since he saw a woman so beautiful, so close.

He really didn’t know what to do. No one had ever shown him such kindness. Such generosity. So he decided to follow her. At least initially. That would buy him some time to gather his thoughts. Think about the offer. He followed her initially. Watching her. But she soon made it clear he was to walk with her. Not follow her like a servant. At every turn, she made him feel worthy. Equal. Human. They walked along in silence as the snow came down harder. Through the park, down the avenue and around the corner. This was the high end part of town with back to back to back exclusive residences with door men. As they walked along the sidewalk, he wondered what it must be like to live a life of such luxury. Eden stopped suddenly in front of an apartment complex in the middle of the block. Unlike the others, there was no door man. There was a substantial lock and security system along with a secondary electronic lock. But clearly, this was not one of the pretentious apartments he saw on either side. They stepped into the foyer as the door closed them behind. The complex was elegant and well appointed. There was an elevator, but Eden walked past and began climbing the flight of stairs, up to the second floor and then the third before turning back down the hallway. She stopped in front of a door and worked her keys into the lock before opening the door and stepping aside, motioning him to go ahead.

Her apartment was beautiful. There was music themed artwork on the walls, dark hardwood floors with expensive area rugs and simple but comfortable looking furniture. She followed him in and motioned for him to follow her as she turned down the hallway and opened the door to the guest bathroom. She showed him some standard toiletries she had for guests including the shampoo, soap, new tooth brush, shaving cream and disposable razor along with fresh towels. She excused herself briefly and returned with some simple clean clothes she hoped would fit. And with that, she smiled, turned and left.

The warmth of the apartment was welcome, free of the cold drafts to which he had become accustomed. Henry leaned down and started the water as he began to get undressed. His jeans were worn and filthy. His t-shirt and long sleeved sweatshirt the same. And his jacket, well, it could hardly be called a jacket for all the holes and worn lining. As the steam began rising, he turned on the shower and stepped in. The warm water felt heavenly. How long had it been? He just stood there, ducking his head and letting the hot water rain down over him. Through his matted hair, over his aching cold shoulders, and down his tired body. After several minutes of enjoying the warm massage of the shower jets, he began shampooing his hair. And then washing his body. It all felt so good. The warmth, the water, the scrubbing massage of the wash cloth. And the soap washing the dirt away. Once he was clean, he did it all over again. This time thoroughly enjoying the feel of the soap and water. It felt especially good to clean under his arms, up and down the crack of his ass, and his crotch. He had been able to wash his face from time to time at the various public bathrooms, but washing these dirtier areas was something that had been difficult if not impossible.

As he continued cleaning and cleaning again, his mind drifted back to this mysterious woman. So young and beautiful. And trusting. How he longed to find someone like that. To trust him. To share. To be a part of his life. He suddenly realized he was stroking himself. Soapy and slippery and clean. It felt so good. Like so many other sensations this day, how long had it been? But then he began to feel guilty. This woman that trusted him so much. Pleasing himself in her shower, the gift of a shower, somehow felt wrong. He shook his head back to the here and now and quickly rinsed before stepping out to dry himself with the luxuriously soft towel. Stepping up the sink, he shaved and brushed his teeth clean before reaching for the clothes on the counter and slipped into them. Some generic boxer shorts, oversized sweat pants and long sleeve shirt. He folded the towel neatly before draping it over the towel rack and opening the door in search of the young woman that had given him so much today.
 
Eden knew what a hard life was, how it put lines on your face even if you were only twenty. Being homeless it changes you, it shapes you into someone either caring or bitter. Life was beyond hard and she knew that more then most, which was why she was a simple girl. She may have millions in at her bank, she prefer to show others that just because you have money. Does not mean you have to buy a mansion with fifty bedrooms, having money does not mean buying ten sports cars.

Life was fair for a lot of people, but for someone like her and someone like the man before her. It was unfair, the wealthy did not give a shit about the poor. The homeless being looked down upon, people who think that they are just lazy that if they try hard enough they can get the job. But Eden saw things in a much better light, people were dying every day in the city. Sure Chicago had gang violence, murders of all kinds. But no one talks about the homeless.

Its almost like people were ashamed to admit they were there, but Eden paid close attention. Not just because she to was poor once, she had to go days without eating before this. And how she wished she could take every homeless person in the United States and give them a life, but unfortunately all she could do was make a homeless shelter in each state in the country. It was highly expensive and she was careful with what she was doing.

Every year that she was successful she was able to build the shelter for the homeless, to be able to show them that not all people with money are bastards. Though it was something no one understood unless you lost everything, but as it was now. Everything seemed to be thrown down at peoples feet, to Eden not everyone was treated equally. And that was enough to get her blood boiling, that was how much it honestly upset her.

Life as people knew it was changing every day, no one seemed to care to much about anyone but themselves. Human kind was not the raise it was centuries ago, before you did not have to worry about being killed. Since that kind of thing did not happen much back in the day. Sometimes Eden wished that they were living in that time, but things back then were also rather difficult. Kids saw things in a more clear light, and it was something she wished people could do.

To see things clearly one had to live the life of someone who had nothing or close to nothing, someone who got looked down upon. It would be eye opening to the rich if they really paid attention. It always amazed her how people are treated, its no surprise why the homeless could be bitter. Though she did give away a lot of her money, so much that if she thought about it all the money she gave away to the homeless would be well over half a million if not more.

But that was given over time of course, and with how much the places were she had built, cost her a few million. But she enjoyed doing it, if she died and someone told her what her greatest accomplishment was. It would have to be her helping the much less fortunate, though she would say it with pride not for a pat on the shoulder. That was not her thing, and she did not do it for publicity. Sure it helped her in the peoples eyes, but she did it to be generous.

All in all things were just to much for people at times, she wanted to do a lot of helping. To protect what other people wanted, but the more she thought about it the more upset she became. So she left the couch to make something for him to eat, she decided on some pasta. Though she had no idea if he would like it, but it would be simple. Getting the noddles from the box and put them in the water once it began to boil for her.

Then she put the timer on for ten minutes, then she began to make some white sauce to put on top of it. It was her mothers secret recipe and thought it would be nice to cook it for him. She began to set up the table as smells of food started to fill the whole place up, since most of her place was opened up. Rubbing the back of her neck as she began to toast up some Italian bread. She hoped he did not have an allergy to anything.

But as she cooked she decided to play some music, her stereo system had surround sound much as her T.V did. Speakers all over the place, but also well hidden as well. She reached behind her and smiled a bit putting her hair up in a pony tail, to get it right out of her face. And to also make sure she did not get a hair in the food, that grossed even her out. Even if it was her own hair she did not care, she wanted him to be comfortable.

Once the meal was set up she mixed it all together and put it on the back burner, so it would stay warm and not get cold. Her stormy eyes looking around, and she saw her piano and decided to play it. So grabbing her recorder that would have other musical instruments depending on what song she choose. Life was a bit easy for her but still hard at the same time. Because she had no family and no friends, her reason for living was just music.

Walking over to the piano and sat down on the black piano bench, looking around as she began to think what to sing. She did not realize the stranger was actually done with his shower and looking for her, she closed her eyes like she was lost to something. And was trying to be found, but a soft smile could be heard. She played with her recorder and played it, she knew the rest of the music would come when needed as she began to play the piano and sing.

"Oh,you can hear me cry
See my dreams all die
From where you're standing
On your own.
It's so quiet here
And I feel so cold
This house no longer
Feels like home.

Oh,when you told me you'd leave
I felt like I couldn't breath
My aching body fell to the floor
Then I called you at home
You said that you weren't alone
I should've known better
Now it hurts much more.

You caused my heart to bleed and
You still owe me a reason
I can't figure out why...
Why I'm alone and freezing
While you're in the bed that she's in

I'm just left alone to cry.

Ohhh...Ohhh...Ehhhh...Ehhh...
Ohhh...Ohhh...Ehhhh...Ehhh...
Ohhh...Ohhh...Ehhhh...Ehhh...
Ohhh...Ohhh...Ehhhh...Ehhh...

You caused my heart to bleed and
You still owe me a reason
I can't figure out why...
You caused my heart to bleed and
You still owe me a reason
I can't figure out why...

Oh,you can hear me cry
See my dreams all die
From where you're standing
On your own.
It's so quiet here
And I feel so cold
This house no longer
Feels like home."

As she played everything started to come to her, she did not care who heard her. Much took her but as she was singing a tear fell down her face, feeling empty and lonely. She was never bitter thankfully, her mother taught her that being bitter would just cause more bitterness and more loneliness. She never knew if she believed that or not, but only time would tell on that. She enjoyed the thought of doing what she could, but as she turned she smiled seeing the man.

"Feel Better?"

So Cold
 
As he opened the bathroom door, he was struck by two sensations he did not expect. First was an aroma that caused his heart to stop. He had been relegated to begging for scraps and eating the rare fast food he could afford to buy with handouts he had been given. Or the awful, consistent stink of the free soup at the soup kitchen. He had long ago resigned himself to his plight and was thankful even for the less than appetizing soup. It was warm, filling and served in a warm breeze free hall downtown, not far from where he camped with his homeless peers. Unlike the soup at the soup kitchen, this aroma was heavenly. It was filled with spices that tickled his nose and made his stomach tense up in knots. So long it had been since he had a home cooked meal. And this one smelled wonderful. Again, he closed his eyes and said a prayer of thanks for his great fortune to happen upon this wonderful young woman. Just that morning he had been tired, cold and hungry with no prospect of any change. And now look at him. Barely twelve removed from his nasty blanket under the bridge, he was showered, shaved and clean. And about to have a home cooked meal that could not smell any better.

And then he heard the piano. Sweet and sensual in tone and pace. And then, the voice. Her voice? Presumably. He stood there in the bathroom doorway listening. The song sounded so beautiful. Her voice so angelic. And yet, the lyrics were sad. Painful. Tragic. Of love lost. A precious heart broken. A dream denied. A spirit crushed. Henry slowly made his way down the hallway, pausing as he reached the living room. He could see her now, singing and playing. Her back to him so she did not know he was there. She looked different. Her hair was pulled up and back in a ponytail. She had changed into something more comfortable, more casual. She looked even more pure, more innocent.

The sweet music now dominated his senses. He had already forgotten the sweet smell of dinner as he stood there entranced by the beauty of the music and tragedy of the lyrics. He stood there again, out of her view as he listened and marveled at the talent before him. He now understood who she was and where he wealth came from. Even if he barely knew her name. He was not familiar with her music, but he knew enough to appreciate the talent she was sharing this evening. He wondered if she was playing the music, this song for him. But how could she know he would be here to listen and not still in the bathroom? And what of this song? The choice? As tragic as the lyrics, he couldn’t help but feel how it told his story in a sense. Of his wife leaving him. His love for her. Betrayed. Gone forever. On any given day, his love loss was far from the front of his thinking. He rarely thought about her anymore. Part of his learning to move on. His recovery if you will. One day at a time. But now, so much of it was flooding back.

“That is a beautifully tragic song.” He said as she finished. She jerked her head around, clearly surprised that he had been there listening.

“Thank you.” Was all she said as if embarrassed at being heard.

He could see a tear had run down her face and he wondered if she were not feeling the same sense of loss as the song implied.

“Are you OK?” he asked her gently moving towards her on the piano bench.
 
Eden sighed a little bit and looked down a bit, when he asked if she was okay she just nodded. She wasn't embarrassed but liked that he heard the song, looking at her newly found friend she slowly got up off the bench and figured he would be very hungry. So she grabbed a couple plates and scooped up some pasta and set it on the table, with the toasted bread that she put into the oven. She was a good cook and could whip up anything rather fast.

Which was good really, all in all she was rather happy. And had a feeling she should explain the song. Though she had no idea how to do that, she just did not know what to think or say then and there. But the pain could be seen behind her beautiful eyes, she had a story there and if you were lucky enough she would tell you. Though it felt as though she needed to explain herself, she knew this was a rare treat if it was even possible most of the time.

"I lost my father when I was seventeen years old, we were struggling for money. So I know what its like to be how you were, we just about lost everything. But I lost my father that day, when I was heard at a club down into the heart of the city. I rushed home to tell my father, and before me was his lifeless body. Someone had broken into our home and killed him. No one knew who had done it and the cops did not really care.

My fathers killer is out there some where, probably killing someone as we speak. But most of my songs are rather up beat and positive. But today is the third anniversary of his death, I did not let the new found money and job change me. So I actually did something good with the money I have gotten, I have actually made several places for those down on there luck to stay. Though it took me a couple years to put several homes around.

And I did not do it for a pat on the back, did not do it for any other reason then the reason I know deep down is right. Because if we do not help one another, then we are no better then the animals. I love to help people, hence why I was so willing to help you. To be the voice of reason, to give you a chance and a choice to start over with me. And I have fun helping others, its something I think I was made to do. And enjoy giving"

Some would think she was probably rather strange, but did not care what other people thought of her. If she cared about it she never would have donated money to the needy. Sitting down at the small dinning room table and crossed one leg over the other, exposing a pair of light blue jeans, wearing only socks on her feet. It was nice how things were turning around for him. And she could see the peace that was in his eyes now that he was here.
 
“I’m so sorry to hear about your father. Your loss…” His words trailed off, knowing what to say. “I can’t imagine how difficult it must be for you. Your loss is much worse than anything I have had to deal with.”

He wondered how much he should tell her about his past. Sure she had shared her loss, her story. But the song was the impetus for that moment of sharing. Did she really care about his situation? Maybe. And maybe she just wanted to help. He really didn’t understand what was going on. She had offered him so much. First the money. Then the chance to come home with her and the promise of a job. The hot shower and fresh clean clothes was more generosity than he could have imagined. And now a fresh cooked, hot meal. And a damned good one too. But maybe she was just being kind. Maybe she was happy to help any way she could but not necessarily care about his problems.

He looked across the table and could see a change in her eyes. She had moved on from her own grief and seemed genuinely interested in his. His story, his suffering.

“Well, I have not lost anyone like you did. I mean, no one died. I got married when I was young. We struggled. And then I lost my job. That was all she could take I guess. So she demanded a divorce. She was from a family with money. She became bitter and mean. Cruel. Her family helped her hire a great divorce lawyer when I couldn’t even afford a bad one. She took everything and then some. She left me and I was evicted. I had no job and no source of income. So I lived in my car which eventually broke down. I kept living in it until the City towed it away. The rest is pretty much what you might imagine. Soup kitchens, begging, sleeping in the woods in a camp with other homeless people. Hanging out in the park during the day.”

He didn’t realize until he was done that he was looking down at his plate, toying with his food the whole time he had been talking. It was difficult to share those things. Especially to someone he didn’t know. He looked up when he was done to find her sitting there, looking at him intently. There was something special in her eyes. A sincere sense of empathy. She truly cared. How could she be so compassionate, so trusting when she was so young and had been through so much family and personal suffering.

Now it was his turn to look at her. He had looked at her before of course. But he had never really looked at her. She was so small and fragile looking. And beautiful. Still. He had noticed how pretty she was out in the park. And then later when they got back to her house. And now, looking at her again, she was still beautiful. And she looked so comfortable in her jeans and socks. As he looked at her, he began thinking… How she looked so comfortable. As if they were dating or even married. And he began wondering what it would be like to live that life a again. A life of reasonable comfort. Of being with someone that makes you smile. Of being in love. Sharing and giving. And making love. Ohhhhh how long it had been since he made love. He shook his head suddenly, shocking himself back to the here and now.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to drone on and I don’t mean to stare. It’s just been so long… For so many things for me.” He let his voice tail off as he looked back down into his plate and began eating again. After a while, he looked up again.

“Look Eden, I can’t begin to thank you enough for the generosity you have shown me. It means the world to me. And this is the first time in two years that I have felt normal again. You mentioned I could help you. Around the house with repairs. And as your assistant.. I don’t really know what any of that means, but I’m willing to give it a try. I just can’t bear the thought of being back on the street again. You just tell me what I need to do, what I can do to help you and I’ll do it ok? Anything. Anything at all. I just don’t know how I will ever repay you. But I will find a way. You have my word on it.” And with that, he dropped his head and continued eating the delicious pasta.
 
Eden had no idea how bad his life was until he began to tell her, she looked at him the whole time. Even though he looked down and seemed ashamed, she tilted her head to the side as he spoke of his wife who was brought from money. And she actually growled because he lost his job his wife left? That was just something wrong there, she did not love him that much was made clear. And she hated women like that, she thought they should be shot.

But of course she would not say that to him, but seeing him looking into her eyes. Then seemed to drone out on her, she smiled as he seemed to grow rather still and figured that he was really sad about his past. Sighing a little bit she actually placed her hand on his, her eyes showing she honestly cared. But she was upset as well, not at him but as his ex for what she did to him. Sighing softly she did not know if she should say something, but would do it any way.

"I hope I do not anger you when I call your ex a gigantic bitch for divorcing you like that, I have no respect for women like that. And I have a feeling daddy gave her everything she could possibly want, including a bad ass attitude. I mean shit if you were my husband I would have helped you find something else, instead of leaving you out on your ass. That is just terrible, and I am sorry I truly am. Some people just should not ever get married.

Maybe I am the way that I am because I remember what it was like to struggle, seeing what my father did for me. How much he sacrificed for me, I dunno I miss my father but I know he would want me to move on. He use to tell me the hardest thing in this world is to live in it. And I am starting to see that point he made, but this is no trap for you. I have plans but to help not to hurt you, I got a feeling when we met you probably thought it was a trap.

But I am not that kind of person, you don't have to worry about living on the streets again. My father taught me a lot in life even though I know I am only nineteen years old, but I live the way I have dreamed. But I am not selfish with the money that I have, you will be comfortable. And once I get things set into motion you will be the first to know about it. But I promise you will be safe with me, it is nice to have someone to talk to.

Since I honestly do care about you, perhaps I am just a big sap but your problems are gone. Later on I will show you what needs fixing around here, but right now just try and relax. You have a friend in me" She wanted to say and maybe even more, but did not know if he would want a younger woman as a girlfriend. So she grew pretty silent in that moment. Sighing a bit as she sipped her drink and looked at him always showing him kindness.

She sat back as she enjoyed his company, he was everything in a man she had ever wanted. She never felt comfortable hanging out with guys her own age, because most of the time they just thought about sex and that was it. She had yet to meet a guy her own age who wasn't a pig. But she did the best she could do, and all in all everything just had to stop. Which was why she felt more comfortable with him, and she spoke again.

"If you want more to eat feel free to have a second round, I have more then enough food. Also today we can get you some of your own clothing something more your taste if you like. " She offered him, showing he did not need to be afraid to ask for anything. She was enjoying the way he looked at her, he truly was a rather sweet person and hoped he found someone that he wanted to be with. She held a high respect for him.

"And I have to say, I think your life was much more harder and more tragic then when I have been through. I lost my parents yes but you lost much more then I did, but I can see your a good man and I am glad I could help you. I should thank you really because you allowed me to help you, and I did not do this out of pity but its time for you to truly feel happy again. And if I can do that then I am very happy about it"
 
Henry wasn’t sure what to say. So much was racing through his mind, it was hard to keep listening to her. But he did. He wanted to hear her. To understand. It was difficult for his to share so much of his personal life. His struggle. His humiliation. He was not a lazy man. Nor was he unkind. Or unfeeling. And yet, look where he ended up. For no fault of his own. But facts were facts and the months leading to this moment had left him wondering if. Fault or not, this was his station in life. What was meant to be. That he would be homeless and suffer and struggle the rest of his life.

And then today happened. No way he could have imagined the last three hours when he awoke this morning, cold, hungry and resigned to another day of helplessness. How easy it would have been to take that money, accident or not. And start a new life for himself. But he assumed it was a mistake. It had to be. No one was that kind and generous with someone they did not know. Much less a homeless person. But that was not who he was. No matter what happened, he would be true to himself. He would remain kind, true and above all, honest.

It was wonderful to hear her say kind things to him. About him. Although it was still hard for him to hear her say bad things about his ex-wife. All the things she had done to him were true. Cruel, unthinkable things. And yet, there was some odd sense of feeling he had about her. It hurt him to hear Eden speak so negatively about her. He did not still love her. He knew that. It was something he decided long ago. For everything that happened to him, he would remain proud. He knew he deserved better. And he knew, he understood, her love was really never there. So he gave up that part of his heart. He no longer loved her. And yet, it hurt to hear Eden speak of her that way. Probably because he didn’t like to hear anyone speak bad of anyone else. He knew people spoke bad of him and judged him without even knowing him. He knew now that Eden never really knew him. Neither did her dad. And neither did all the people that passed him on the streets since he became homeless. But deep down, he knew who he was. He deserved better. And was worthy of respect. And he decided long ago, even if he was homeless, he would never accept anything less than what he deserved in the way of respect and kindness.

So many new sensations. Feelings he had not felt in so long. The long, warm shower was positively decadent. It felt like a shower and massage all in one. By the time he exited the shower, his knees were weak and he felt dizzy. So long he had been cold and uncomfortable. Then clean clothes. Soft and warm. A fresh, hot meal, delicious and plentiful. Eaten while sitting at a table, in a comfortable chair, with silverware! A kind, gentle woman, happy to talk and share. Someone who seemed genuinely interested in him for who he is. And beautiful too. Young and spirited, so full of life and energy and so giving.

And then, there it was. The touch. Her hand reaching out to touch his. So soft and gentle. So delicate and warm. It might have been offered as a touch of warmth given the subject of his struggles, but she left her hand on his longer than necessary. Long enough to convey a sense of compassion and sincerity. She spoke of his companionship, about his not needing to worry anymore. About the future and his comfort. Deep down, he wondered what that might mean. He found himself daydreaming suddenly of the possibility. Of more. This beautiful young woman who had befriended him. She was the kind of woman he longed for. To learn to give and love again. To find that passion he once felt.

He wanted to kiss her. How long it had been since he felt that connection. He wanted to touch her like she touched him. He wanted to hold her. To caress her. And yes, he wanted to make love to her. Sitting there, in this strange woman’s house, sitting at her table, eating her food. A woman he barely knew. And he wanted to be with her. To get lost in her. It was all too much to process.

“Eden, you have done so much for me already. You have given me so much. So much more than I could have ever expected. I can’t tell you how wonderful it feels. To feel alive again. Like a person. A man. I still can’t believe how trusting you have been to invite me into your home. And it’s so surreal for me. To realize how comfortable I feel with you here. I have come so far today. So far back to life. You make me feel alive and comfortable and relaxed.”

Henry was finished eating and the awkward silence made him feel self-conscious. Was he pushing too hard? Was he about to cross a line? He was afraid to lose all he had gained this day. He stood up suddenly from the table, grabbed his plate and walked around to her side to take her plate too. She was still sitting and it was the closest he had been to her all day. He could smell the sweet floral scent of her shampoo. And he couldn’t help himself as he looked longingly at her neck and down her shirt as he reached for her plate.

“Let me wash these real quick. It’s the least I can do.” With that, he turned away from the table and headed into the kitchen.
 
She had a feeling she perhaps went a bit to far when it came to saying what she did, saying bad things about his ex. She could tell he did not like that, and knew that she did not want him to be upset with her. Which was part of the reason why she put her hand on him. But also because she honestly cared, it was the kind of thing she could do. She honestly cared that was her character, caring about others before she cares about herself.

Now however was the kind of thing where she wanted things to go right, and knew that he did not deserve to be homeless. The rich and ruthless deserve it but not him, he may have not been in love with his wife. But still what had happened to him hurt her, like she took it personally. He acted so strangely to her now, and hoped she had not hurt him. But she gave him a kind smile and thought for a second about what to say to him.

But then he spoke and said what he did, when he got up to clean the table she smiled when he came to her and took her dish. Slowly turning in her seat as she saw him washing, and tilted her head to the side. He was sweet, Henry was the kind of guy who she would let in. But she honestly did not trust easily, she could read people and feel what people were about. She learned to protect herself years ago, even before she was left alone.

Slowly standing up as she walked behind him, placing a very gentle hand on his back. Thinking about her life where it started, she had actually wanted to die a few times in her life. Especially when her only parent had been killed, it was the kind of thing that honestly scared her. She did not want to lose sight of what was important, and thinking about her mother made her grow very angry and it was a feeling she did not like.

Eden was taught right from wrong when she was three years old, she was taught to love everyone and to respect everyone. But sometimes she thought it was a bad idea to do that, everything in her just wanted to take care of the people who wished to harm innocent people. And knew Chicago was a city full of bad cops, arresting people when they had no business doing so. She had seen it many times, and made it clear to the police years ago.

She would stand up to them, since she knew the law very well. And would not get bullied by a bunch of shit heads. Which of course angered her even more, it was frustrating to be able to do nothing. But shaking her head as she let the past go, and was paying attention to the now. She could help him and she would, she liked him being there with her. Made her feel like not every person on this planet were idiots that were corrupted.

"I am the kind of person who does not trust very easily, it may seem it to you because of how I am with you Henry. But a long time ago I taught myself to be able to get a clear picture of everyone I come in contact with. I took some classes at the college here working on human behavior. I can read much about you just with how you talk or even look at me, you feel that you deserved being homeless. But the only people that deserve your fate..."

Looking down a little bit she did not want to upset him further, and was choosing what to say carefully. Since she did not want a fall out here, she honestly wanted the company. She was afraid of being alone, she had been alone for to long. Sure it was only a couple years or so. But every day she grew more and more lonely to the point where she thought about ending her own life. But she could see the roughness he had living on the streets for so long.

"Those who are cruel that have had an easy life, I think all the rich people that are cruel. I think they should spend a month homeless, to honestly see how the other is forced to live. You have so much to give to this world, and the world has turned its back on you. But I wont you are a good man that I know very well, when we saw each other for the first time. I felt the need to do something with what I had, there is no hook her angle with my offer."

Eden grabbed her hair and put it up in a pony tail, wanting to get it out of her face. Sighing softly she did not know if this was a good idea. But she did care about his feelings and watched as he finished up cleaning the dishes. Placing her hand on his shoulder so he would look into her eyes. Henry was so much more then he realized, she would do anything in the world for people like him. She silently sighed and made sure she never looked away.

"And I owe you an apology about what I said about your Ex I know it upset you and that was not my intention at all. It just angers me that she did not see what I see in your eyes, maybe one day she will see what I do. But I meant no disrespect and I Know by trash talking her in a way I disrespected you Henry so I apologize for that" When Eden spoke to someone she always looked them into the eyes, never looking away from people.

Unless nervous and she was a little, but it was nothing personal. She was just not use to being close to a guy, who seemed interested in her. Made her want to just hide away sometimes, but when she performed music in front of people. It was her release her drug so to speak, the only way that people could fully understand her. Music was the one language everyone knew, the beat taking over the mind and body. The lyrics dancing in your mind.

But she wanted Henry which she thought was crazy, but she wondered if he felt the same thing. Just the way he seemed to stare before he took her plate, remembering every little pause. Perhaps she was just rather strange, but she did not care what people thought. Her eyes could see the truth, she was able to smell the bull shit people tried to sell her a lot. But right now all she wanted was peace, and to do some good in the city.

Eden was thinking of a new song idea, she grabbed her pad and paper and sat down on one side of the couch and began to write some things down. Stopping for a moment as she looked up at Henry, he had sparked an idea into her head. Which was rather nice to have someone who could do it. She began to harmonize a tune feeling the emotions in the room. Closing her eyes as she just visioned everything in her life, and stopped and sang.

Walking over to the piano and her musical equipment and was working of a melody that she had. It was annoying when she was stuck with song ideas, but now she got a few because of him. She sat at the piano making sure everything was set up, cracking her neck a little bit. Looking at the keys of her piano, her grey eyes scanning outside the window. Seeing the way it snowed outside, how the wind was howling very violently.

As she began to play out a song she seemed to like, she kept playing it and adding to it quickly. Her mind was working over time, and her mind was so full of ideas now. Perhaps this was what she needed, inspiration. So she could do better music, to reach out to the people to those who listened to her music. Eden was enjoying herself as she seemed to sing to Henry, trying to show him he can be open and take chances with her.

Your arms around me come undone
Makes my heart beat like a drum
See the panic in my eyes
Kiss me hold me when I cry
Cause you always want what you're running from
And you know this is more than you can take

Baby don't forget my name
When the morning breaks us
Baby please don't look away
When the morning breaks us
Oh your touch, so bittersweet
Baby don't forget my name
When the morning breaks us

Your cheek is softly by the sun
Makes my heart beat like a drum
I know it hurts you, I know it burns you
Hot and cold in a lonely hotel room
Look into me, tell me why you're crying I need to know
Cause you always want what you're running from
It's always been that way

Baby don't forget my name
When the morning breaks us
Baby please don't look away
When the morning breaks us
Oh your touch, so bittersweet
Baby don't forget my name
When the morning breaks us

Cause you always want what you're running from

Baby don't forget my name
When the morning breaks us
Baby please don't look away
When the morning breaks us
Oh your touch, so bittersweet
Baby don't forget my name
When the morning breaks us

Song
 
Walking to the kitchen with the plates, he thought again about how his life had changed so much so suddenly. It was so comfortable being with this woman. How did she do that? How could she take him off the street and within a couple of hours make him feel human again. He didn’t just feel human. He felt whole. Complete again. Comfortable. It really was so little to it. A shower, a meal, comfort from the elements. And then there was the company. Dare he say, companionship. They were little things. But they were big. He felt such an incredible sense of appreciation.

As he began running the water, he thought of her again. She was so beautiful. Her eyes were so penetrating, as if she could see his soul. He was OK with that. He had nothing to hide. He was who he was and he was proud of that, in spite of his circumstances on the street. He was thinking about what she had said. About his ex-wife. It hurt him at first, but he realized she was right. More importantly, he realized he needed to learn to live in the here and now. His ex-wife was in his past. Being on the street was in the past. He was given the wonderful gift of a warm place to sleep tonight and a great home cooked meal. He knew how good it felt. And he was desperate to not lose it. The last thing he wanted was to offend her in any way. Which is why he wanted to start earning his keep now with the dishes.

He assumed he would clean the dishes in silence while she went about her business. But instead, she came to apologize. And then she touched him. Again. A warm hand on his shoulder. Not tentative. Not afraid. But a comforting touch. And it made him melt as he leaned against the sink. Then, as soon as she came up to him, she was gone again. He turned to watch her as she walked back into the living room. His eyes drifted lower, watching her hips sway ever so slightly to and fro. Her ass so round and perfect. It had been so long since he had really looked a woman that way. And the liked the way it felt. She walked around the low coffee table before plopping down comfortably on the couch. She saw him watching her and offered a beautiful smile and a flirty wink which made him laugh and feel much better. He turned back and continued rinsing the dishes and could hear her singing softly to herself. Not loud enough to understand the words, but enough that he could sense the melody. And he knew she was losing herself in her music.

He dried the last dish as he heard the piano starting up. Turning back to look at her again, he saw her at the piano, her back to him as she looked out over the piano and out the window. She was playing a slow intense melody and singing. It was still raw and unfinished, but it was still beautiful. Much like her. He stood in the doorway watching her work, mesmerized at the process and intensity. She was so passionate, so focused in her work. Henry had never played an instrument but he loved music. And he often wondered about the process, the skill it took to produce great music. It was then that he realized he was being given another gift. He was watching an artist work. How intimate this must be for her. And she was allowing him to watch, to hear her in the process of creating her craft. She was so trusting and the emotions she was struggling with were so raw and exposed as she worked the music and lyrics.

It was a beautiful song and Henry found himself getting lost in the lyrics and the sweet sound of her piano. Listening to the song, he closed his eyes and just listened. Really listened. And before he knew it, he was singing along silently as she worked the song, replaying it over and over again. And then, he realized, he was singing the song as if were his own. About him. For him. But that couldn’t be. That was what music was all about wasn’t it? Making you feel like every song you heard, every song you sang was for you, about you? Or was it? She had been so giving. And now, she made him feel like this song was his. Theirs.

“That is so beautiful.” He said with a pause as she stopped and turned to look at him. “Almost as beautiful as the woman singing it.”
 
Normally when she was working on music she would hide herself away, and would not allow anyone to hear her. But she was breaking her own rules, because Henry was very sweet and friendly and handsome. But he seemed to be a broken soul that needed a friendly hand, to reach down and pull him to his feet. Right now everything was just really nice in that moment. She felt compelled to do this in front of him. He gave her inspiration.

And was thinking about dedicating this song to him, and would make it known to her fans it was dedicated to him. Though she would not put his full name, perhaps just his first one. Everything just seemed to stop around her as she made up the lyrics, she had her recorder on so she would be able to hear herself. And also to have a back up piece of equipment in case she lost the paper, which only happened once four years ago. And she was much careful now.

But then as she stopped completely she heard what he said, looking up at him she smiled ever so happily. And could tell by how he looked he was thinking perhaps of a dedication piece. If that was what he thought he would be rather happy to know it was, smiling a little bit more as she slowly got up and adjusted her pants and walked over to him. She had no idea how he would react to what she was about to say, and kissed his cheek.

"Thank you music at his most raw moment in its infancy, something I have never done before. But you actually helped me out of my writers block, the studio I work for has been asking me for one last song to make for my first CD. The only way people could get my songs is through the internet MP3's. And this CD will be the very first copy that will be out in stores. They have given me three months so now I will be able to fix up the song"

She had no idea if Henry knew just how much he helped her just being here, she hoped this was not to forward. But looking into his eyes she wrapped her arms around him, hugging him close. She so wanted to kiss him on the lips, but she chickened out. Though it was easy to tell she wanted to kiss his lips, she smiled kissing his cheek. She was happy her inspiration was found in a man for the first time ever.

Sighing happily she sat down on the couch as she had her lyrics and an idea on the sound, having that out of the way helped big time. Because getting the tune to become more smooth was the fun part, same thing with the lyrics. Something she enjoyed big time. Once sitting back she patted the spot beside her, to be able to relax and get to know each other better. Sure he told her a lot already, but figured that perhaps more could be shared.

Though she would never dig for information that wasn't the kind of woman she was, she kept her views on life. Never changed not even for a moment, that was what people that knew her kept saying. Well least friends of the family, though her parents friends were the friends of the family. But now there was no one left in her family, they meant nothing to her since they did not know her. And it was a rather sad thing as well.

"I do have to say this Henry that this song, since you already have put a good impact on my life already. Even though you have been here only two hours or so, it feels like I have known you all my life. Perhaps it is silly and foolish, but I think the one way you can repay me is to be my companion. I mean I am not asking for you to have sex with me, since I am still a virgin actually. So I am not good with that kind of stuff honestly.

But this song I am going to dedicate to you, and the dedication will be all over, I plan on putting it in the booklet of lyrics that will be with my music CD. And will name it Bittersweet. Which I thought is kinda nice, I know Its very raw right now. But now that I have a melody in mind and lyrics, it wont take me but maybe a week to complete it. Thank you Henry for letting me take you here, and I will think of ways for you to repay me if you still want"
 
It really was such a beautiful song. And she was being so open to him. She was so raw and sweet. So innocent. The song was beautiful, but she was even more beautiful than the melody she just played.

Henry was really struggling with his emotions. He had quickly become comfortable here in this young woman’s house. That was not the problem. The problem now was his emotions. The feeling he was having. Of wanting to be touched. Wanting to touch another. Of all the things he had missed while being divorced and homeless, it was that person connection with someone that he missed the most. More than the food or the comfort of a roof over his head. He missed the intimacy of being with someone special.

After she saw him, she came up to him and hugged him. Looking into his eyes, she was so open and inviting. He was sure she was going to kiss him. And he was hoping she would. Or maybe she was inviting him to make the first move, to kiss her. And then, she kissed his cheek. And his heart sank. Was that, an opportunity missed? A chance not taken? Or was he reading way too much into things? Would there be another chance? All this was beginning to take its toll on him. He was feeling weak and needed to sit down.

As luck would have it, she sat on the couch and invited him to sit with her. He collapsed on the couch next to her, turned slightly to face her as she nestled into the corner, pulling her legs up on the couch underneath her. He sat silently watching her. And he again, he longed to kiss her. She began to speak and he listened intently to understand her, to understand where he fit in her life going forward. She spoke of wanting him to be her ‘companion’. Time seemed to freeze as he contemplated what that meant to her or to him. Companion means so many things. A simple pet can be a companion. So can a platonic friend. Or a lover. And then she said it and his heart sank. She didn’t want him for sex. In fact, she was a virgin. Now he really was speechless.

He sat there on the couch trying to take it all in. She wanted him around. To keep her company. But she was a virgin and really not ‘comfortable’ with it all. Those were her words, not his. He thought what she meant to say was inexperienced and unsure of herself.

“Eden, I am really enjoying myself here. I like you. I like you a lot. I like you more and more the more I get to know you. But I’m still unsure of what you want from me. I will be happy to stay here. To be your ‘companion’ as you put it. And I promise not to make any advances on you. It’s OK that you are a virgin. There is nothing wrong with that. Nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, you should be proud to have kept that special gift, saving it for someone worthy.” He sat and watched her for a long while, seeing her reaction. She seemed to be taking it all in.

“And you have to listen to me when I say this. I am a guest here. I am grateful for everything you have given me. Everything you have offered. So I will be cautious. I will stay reserved. And I will need you to be very clear on what you expect from me. If you need anything, just ask. I’ll do anything you want. But I need you to tell me. Because I will not guess for fear of upsetting you. And losing all the wonderful things you have shared with me. OK?”
 
Eden knew she had to make him understand, but it was understandable when he asked what she needed exactly since companion an mean many things. She could sense in him he wanted to kiss her, but was afraid of being thrown out on his ass. Which she would never do, perhaps what she wanted was a best friend and maybe a husband. But she was thinking long term and in the very far future. But would he even want that? She silently sighed.

Taking his hand in hers, feeling the warmth how only a matter of hours ago his hand was bitter cold. She had fed him and gave him what he needed, looking into his eyes she smiled a little at him. She had no idea what was going to happen here, but she was going to take the risk of everything. Right now she was content and had no idea just how this would even go. But she had to make it very clear no matter what he did in the future or not she would never toss him out.

"You have to understand that no matter what you do, you will always have a place here. Perhaps I am looking for a friend, or perhaps someone to look at me and want me. I have always been alone, I never had friends in school. I never had a boyfriend, part of the reason I am a virgin is because I wanted to wait. But another part of that was because no boy ever saw me as anything. I am thinking long term, for you to be taken care of.

To be treated like a human being and not some thing, I will help you get a job if you like. Get you back on your feet, you will always be welcome here no matter what. But if something happens you want to leave and be alone then I will allow it. Since you are not a slave, I need a friend someone to listen to me. Someone who likes being around me, and maybe be something more. I sense you want to kiss me but are afraid to.

But if you want to then do so, I will not toss you out or even hit you. You can be free with me, kind of the person you have always wanted but never had in school or even out of school" She said with a very kind smile and leaned in close as she laid her head on his shoulder. Smiling happily as everything just seemed really nice, right now she was just happy. She relaxed a bit and kept herself open, but not to the point where she was slutty about it.
 
Her touch was warm and inviting. As were her words. Henry sat there and listened to what she said. In response to what he said.

“Listen Eden. I like you. I mean I really like you. And I’d love to kiss you. I’d love to do more than kiss you. It has been so long since I have been with a woman. And I understand you are virgin and that is what makes this unfair. To you. I know what I have been missing. And I’m telling you, it will be the most wonderful thing you can imagine when you get there.”

Henry could see in her eyes, she was wanting what he was describing.

“But it’s not fair. I would kiss you. And then I would want to touch you. And I would want you to touch me back. And… “ He paused for a long time. Her eyes asking him to finish. “And, I don’t know if I could stop. I know I wouldn’t want to. And that’s what’s so unfair. To you.”

He could see the disappointment in her eyes, the defeat in her body language, the slumping of her shoulders. She was feeling rejected. Something she had said earlier came back to him. She had said she had never even had a boyfriend. That boys would not ask her out. She was being so bold for her. She bared her soul and exposed herself. And he rejected her. Defeated her. It crushed his heart to understand suddenly what he had done to her.

“Can I ask you something?” He said.

“Of course.” She replied.

“I’d like to make you an offer. Something for you to consider.”

“What is it?” she asked.

“I’m going to ask, but you can’t answer me right away. After I ask you, I’m going to get up and get a glass of water from the kitchen to give you a chance to think about it. You can say yes. And you can say no. Either way is OK. I promise. You can say no and it will be fine. OK?”

“OK”

“Alright. I’d like to kiss you Eden. I’d like to hold you and kiss you. But that’s all OK? I can’t let it go any further. It wouldn’t be fair to either of us. If you say yes, it has to stop at a kiss. Then I will go to bed and we can talk in the morning ok?” And with that, he got up and walked into the kitchen, out of sight to leave her to think about his offer.
 
Eden heard what he said to her about things being unfair, and she tilted her head to the side. She just felt like hiding under a rock, looking down she had been rejected again. Closing her eyes as she just wanted to scream, she figured she would never know a mans love. And she had a knot in her stomach, right now she just did not know what she wanted. She was confused and knew not what was going to happen. But deep down she just wanted to cry, she had no means of anything and right now she was so lost in everything.

Watching him get up to get that drink, she ran her fingers against the back of the neck. Right now nothing seemed to really matter, sitting back she did not know what to say or what to do. She was afraid she would want more and try to take it, she had no idea what she would be like under this kind of situation. But she was collecting herself, trying her best to just relax and be herself to him.

She had been defeated again in her life, he offered her a hand she was afraid of taking much more then that. And right now she did not have that luxury and had a feeling that she may never, her hands in her lap as everything just seemed to stop to her. All in all this was the kind of thing that just made her really depressed, in that moment she heard the water stop running and knew he would be back in any second. Sighing sadly as she looked up and gave him a little smile to get him to.

"I'll take your offer" She said in a rather peaceful way. Brushing a strand of black hair out of her eye she knew all to well that things were about to get ugly. But she actually was not afraid any more, she had lived in the shadows for to long. She had been the yes girl always agreeing with what is going on. And frankly she wanted to be her own man, well so to speak her own woman she would call it. She relaxed back in her couch and just let him do what he had to do, so he could show her.
 
As Henry walked into the kitchen, he wondered if he had just screwed things up. He kept replaying the conversation in his head. She was not just inexperienced. She was a virgin. And not just a virgin, but never even had a boyfriend. Never been kissed. It seemed like a reasonable approach didn’t it? To offer to teach her. But to go slow. Not to take advantage of her. But as he was saying it, he saw her spirit being crushed. Every word came out wrong and he could see the defeat and sense of rejection in her eyes. He didn’t even want to go back in the room now. He felt so bad.

He filled the glass three times over, stalling. Delaying the dreaded trip back into the living room to the poor girl he just destroyed. How could he ever fix what he had done? He needed to face her. She didn’t deserve to be left alone there suffering on the couch. He turned with his full glass and headed back into the room. Eden was sitting back in the corner of the couch, a confused look on her face. He was about to tell her how sorry he was for what he said when she spoke first saying she would accept his offer. Henry sat down on the couch near her and tried to make it better.

“Look Eden, I’m sorry for what I said, How I said it. I didn’t mean it the way it came out.”

He could see the pain in her eyes, the fear she was being rejected again. He reached out and took her hand in his. Holding her with one hand and cupping her hand with the other.

“Eden, you are so beautiful. So kind and generous. And you have so much to offer.” He slid back into the couch, close to her still as he now reached up and touched her higher on her arm. “It’s been so long for me. Maybe we both need this.”

And with that, he leaned forward toward her. Closer still. Reaching up, his hand touched her cheek, his fingers tracing her lips. And then, his hand cupped the back of her neck and pulled her to him. His lips touched hers. Gently at first. Light little kisses. Pecks as he pulled her tighter to his chest. His lips parted slightly, his tongue wetting his lips and her. He could feel her trembling in his arms. But she was not pulling back. He could feel her pressing into him. Wanting to learn, wanting more. His lips parted and his tongue crept forward, teasing her lips as they parted slightly. She stuck her tongue out slightly a little clumsy as first as she experimented, trying to follow his lead. Their tongues danced playfully together. Henry suddenly felt her hands on his shoulders as she touched him lightly. Her hands rubbing him lightly, working their way around his back as she was pulled to him. His hands were guiding the back of her neck and running fingers through her hair.

She smelled heavenly. The sweet scent of her light perfume and floral shampoo was intoxicating. It had been so very long for him and he could feel the urges rushing back. His breathing was becoming haggard his heart was racing. And he could feel the arousal building in his loins. This felt so wrong. And yet, felt so very right. Eden was a quick learner and was kissing him back with the same fever and passion as he was giving her. And it only fueled his fire more. He pulled her tight, feeling her full breasts pressing against his chest as he rotated, pulling her into his lap. His hand working its way down her back, to her tapered waist. He came up for air and began kissing her neck and was greeted with a low guttural moan.

He was already crossing the line he promised not to cross. And there was no going back now…
 
Eden perhaps over did how she acted, but it just happened and did not mean to be so dramatic about it. She just did not like rejection it was something she hated, something she could not really stand. She spent all her life trying to figure out why she was alone, was she not good enough, pretty enough? Have the body? So many questions just hit her over and over in her head. She had kept looking down so did not see the way he looked at her, sighing sadly as everything just seemed to turn to hell.

But she heard him walk back over to her, smiling weakly as she looked at him. Rubbing the back of her neck, she felt kinda awkward now. She felt him sit down and just had a feeling that perhaps this was going to be ruined because of her. It was hard to even fathom how she felt about everything. It was the kind of thing she was not good at, perhaps that was why she never had a boyfriend, why she was still a virgin. But she made herself look up at him, gazing into his eyes a little.

But then she felt him touch her, and heard everything he said. Smiling a little bit, shaking her head showing it was okay. She just said she was sorry for being over sensitive, and right now everything just seemed to suck. But she felt the way he looked at her, something had changed in his personality. She could read people pretty well, which has kept her out of trouble many times before. But she watched what he was doing, feeling how his hands went against her. Her stormy eyes looking at him.

And then before she knew it he was kissing her, her eyes showed surprise. But she closed her eyes and returned the kiss, her first kiss was something that just about took her breath away. Her heart racing as he pulled her onto his lap. Placing her hands on his shoulders, she moaned a little in the kiss. She felt amazing in this moment, smiling a little as she just enjoyed how things took off. Returning the kiss as she got better at it, but then when their tongues met she moaned even louder. Enjoying herself.
 
Henry could feel her responding. As he rotated and pulled her to him, he could feel her crawling into his lap. Climbing up his chest, begging for his touch. The closer he held her, the more she responded. Once he kissed her, there was no holding her back. Her mouth and lips were open, searching for lips and skin to touch and kiss. The memories starting flooding back to him. Not of his ex, but of loving, being loved, making love and finding release. His touch was soft and gentle, reassuring and comforting. And yet, she could not know the internal battle he was fighting within himself. He promised himself he would kiss her and nothing more. And he had promised her. But could he really stop now? He pulled away from her as she clawed at him, trying to bring him back.

“Eden please. We agreed. A kiss. Just a kiss tonight ok?”

He could see the pain welling in her eyes. The fear of feeling rejected. Of being pushed away again.

“Please Henry. Please don’t stop.” She said sobbing slightly.

“Eden. I don’t want you to regret anything. I want to give you time to think. Your first time should be with someone special. I want you to have time to think about it. To make sure this what you want.”

“You are someone special. Please Henry. Don’t stop. Please. Make love to me. Show me how it feels. I want this and I want you to be the one.”

Truth was, he wanted it too. As much as he had ever wanted to make love to a woman before. Maybe more than when he was in love with his ex-wife. He pulled her to him again and kissed her hard and deep. She was inexperienced but she was eager and learning fast. Her arms were around him holding him tight and his hands explored her curves. He stroked her hips, her waist and then, his hands rose between them. As he continued kissing her, his hands reached up and cupped her breasts as she moaned deeply through her kiss. He began massaging her breasts and felt her start to tremble in his arms. There was no doubt in his mind, she had never been held or touched like this before. Henry rolled back to his left and laid her gently on the couch as she fell out of his arms. He then sat up and stood over her looking down into her fiery eyes.

“Henry? Don’t leave me! Don’t stop. Please!” she begged as her eyes began filling with fear again.

“I’m not leaving you Eden. I’m going to make love to you. But not here. Not on the couch.” And with that, he knelt down and scooped her up in his strong arms. Her arms wrapped around his neck in a death grip, afraid to let him go as he stood up, turned and headed to the bedroom with her comfortably in his arms…
 
Eden had no idea what she was doing any more, her heart and brain seemed to be battling each other. She promised him it would just be a kiss, but something in her just snapped. It was rather nice to have this moment with him, perhaps she was just being foolish. Or perhaps she just did not give a damn any more, he touched her in a way no man had ever done. The way his body felt against her own, she grew lost in the moments now.

Thinking of all the times she was alone, no boy ever wanted her. She may have been beautiful, but some people in school thought she was fat. Something she got into her head, and it took five years to get it out of her head. She was grateful to have what she did, and right here and now a man had his arms around her. Emotions long forgotten started to come up to the surface. How she wanted him to just make love to her now.

But when he told her he didn't want to have her make the wrong choice, a choice that would be something she would regret. But she could never imagine not wanting this with him. Sure they did not know each other really, but something inside of her felt like a piece of him was talking to her in a way. Like they were suppose to be together now, but she just shook that stupid idea out of her head. Her eyes looking into his as she pleaded.

Feeling his arms around her she felt at peace, closing her eyes in that moment she felt him pick her up. She never thought someone would pick her up, but hell she thought she would die a virgin and never knowing what certain things were. But right now things just seemed to be falling right into her lap. Her eyes opened up as she felt him going upstairs. Looking into his eyes she saw something most didn't, and she was happy.

She saw outside the box so to speak, no one told her or taught her what to do in life. Some wanted her to be judgmental like most of the population, but Eden was a free spirit. The kind of spirit that could not force itself to be cruel to people, there was no point to it. God sure as hell did not put us on this planet to kill each other, to hurt each other and to turn backs on one another. Life scared her, but right now life did not even exist.

"I wont regret a thing" She said to him with a soft voice, her voice strong yet soft and it carried her desire for him. She pointed to where her room was and watched as he laid her down, looking up into his eyes she knew she was where she wanted to be right now. With him and be free, free to love each other and to protect one another. But Eden would never regret what she wanted, she saw the good in most people and he was one.
 
Back
Top