Need help with a word

8letters

Writing
I'm working on a story where Thomas takes his girlfriend Rebecca on a cruise with his sister Caitlin and her boyfriend Jacob. While on the cruise, Rebecca dumps Thomas and goes off with Jacob. Rebecca and Jacob have a great time on the cruise that Thomas and Caitlin paid for. Later, Rebecca regrets her (blank) of Thomas. Betrayal? Abandonment? Leaving? Dumping? I can't think of a word that seems to match the situation.

Exploitation, or "felt guilty about having used Thomas", perhaps. Although those don't feel quite right either. 'Exploitation' would be a good fit if she'd allowed him to buy tickets while already knowing she was going to ditch him for Jacob, but it doesn't work quite as well for a "changed her mind later" scenario.

Maybe something along the lines of "trivialization," although it might take more than a word or phrase to pinpoint in context. Might have her do some soul searching on shunting him aside and denigrating who he is and what he's done for her.

Exploitation, or "felt guilty about having used Thomas", perhaps. Although those don't feel quite right either. 'Exploitation' would be a good fit if she'd allowed him to buy tickets while already knowing she was going to ditch him for Jacob, but it doesn't work quite as well for a "changed her mind later" scenario.
She changed her mind later. She had dated Jacob long before and hadn't known that Caitlin was going to bring him on the cruise.

Larceny, defraud, scam.

I might go with something more colorful, like "step on his dick," or "treat like a bitch."

Last edited:
disregard, brush-off, neglect, thoughtlessness, insensitivity, transgression, disrespect, scurrilous,

Last edited:
Betrayal, cold-cocking, dehumanization, blue-ballsing, emasculation, blowing-off

betrayal jumped to my mind even before I read it. What about dismissal? In the sense that she dismissed his feelings.

An idea came to me while I read all the suggestions. Why don't you post the story and leave a blank for that word, then a note asking the readers to fill it in.

You'd get a LOT of suggestions from the trolls.

Just a tongue-in-cheek idea. Not a serious one.

I'm leaning towards "forsaking". I'm looking for a word that combines that she dumped him while continuing to benefit from their relationship. It's not that far from the situation described in The Human League's "Don't You Want Me". I came up with a word last night, didn't write it down and have now forgotten it.

I'd keep it simple 'using' sticks in my mind.

While on the cruise, Rebecca dumps Thomas and goes off with Jacob. Rebecca and Jacob have a great time on the cruise that Thomas and Caitlin paid for. Later, Rebecca regrets using Thomas the way she did.

I'm working on a story where Thomas takes his girlfriend Rebecca on a cruise with his sister Caitlin and her boyfriend Jacob.
While on the cruise, Rebecca dumps Thomas and goes off with Jacob. Rebecca and Jacob have a great time on the cruise that Thomas and Caitlin paid for.
Later, Rebecca regrets her (blank) of Thomas. Betrayal? Abandonment? Leaving? Dumping? I can't think of a word that seems to match the situation.

regrets her insensitivity towards Thomas

Back