choice of words determination

gxnn

Really Really Experienced
I want to express the meaning that someone wants to take advantage of others, but without finding appropriate words or phrases, could you help?

The situation is like that: someone who has no TV or air conditioners of his own wants to enjoy the show or the coolness in hot weather so with or without excuses he comes to the house of whoever that has this device to fufill his goal without any scrifice of his side. Some people in my place at the end of each month, when cash is running out and unable to pay the food, visit friends or relations for free meals by outstaying their welcome, but the hosts have to entertain them because they don't want to be known as inhospitable or unfriendly or stingy.

In Chinese language, my native one, there is a word 蹭 that vividly describes this practice, something like take a lift on the way,but with a more selfish or self-centered intention.

Sponges on (colloquial)
Bludges from (Australian colloquial)
Carpet bagger
Couch cruiser
Parasite
Exploits

"Freeloader" is another one.

Some of my family used to use "botting", but I've never heard anybody else use it that way, and these days it has a different meaning.

What do I call a person who takes advantage of another's generosity without giving anything in return? Well, much depends on the time period and cultural variance of the locale. It also depends on their attitude as they rake in the largesse without giving back.

Freeloader (or Free-rider)

Mooch

Parasite

Bloodsucker

Deadbeat

His (or her) majesty.

Fair-weather friend.

Jackel

Bonds buddy. (from "savings bonds")

Hanger-on.

Leech.

Tapeworm.

Unclaimed dependent.

Idler.

Lickspittle.

Yes, but a leech can also be a lecher, they all take advantage of someone.

In that limited sense, I suppose so, but somebody who is, for instance, eating your food, drinking your booze, sleeping in your guest room and not leaving on time is definitely a leech, but unless he or she puts the moves on somebody, it would be hard to call him or her a lecher.

Oddly, most of the dictionary definitions for lecher limit the status to men. I guess the 'fair sex' never indulges in such predatory sexual hi-jinks... :rolleyes:

We all know or have known someone like this and somehow “freeloader” is not what came to mind when realising what was going down. It may have started with “arsehole” then got a way more expletive... “Freeloader” is way too polite. I suppose it is about context and who is describing the situation and their association with it.

We all know or have known someone like this and somehow “freeloader” is not what came to mind when realising what was going down. It may have started with “arsehole” then got a way more expletive... “Freeloader” is way too polite. I suppose it is about context and who is describing the situation and their association with it.

Oh! I thought we were talking about somebody freeloading from someone else.

I've never had any myself. Mainly 'cause I rarely had anything they wanted.

Although, there was that one college gal/model/pageant runner-up when she was eighteen or nineteen and I was thirty(ish) that got kicked out by three or four different roommates and needed a place to stay. But, she gave somethin' back...

In that limited sense, I suppose so, but somebody who is, for instance, eating your food, drinking your booze, sleeping in your guest room and not leaving on time is definitely a leech, but unless he or she puts the moves on somebody, it would be hard to call him or her a lecher.

Oddly, most of the dictionary definitions for lecher limit the status to men. I guess the 'fair sex' never indulges in such predatory sexual hi-jinks... :rolleyes:

A lecher doesn't necessarily have to put the moves on anyone, it could just be the way he/she looks at the other person or what he might say to that person.

Back