Have sweeps ceased?

tomlitilia

Literotica Guru
I've had a few runs of obvious 1-bombing the past months. These used to be removed through vote sweeps, but that hasn't happened in a long time. Has Literotica stopped sweeping, or did these latest bombs just fall outside of whatever criteria the site uses to identify disingenuous votes?

I've had a few runs of obvious 1-bombing the past months. These used to be removed through vote sweeps, but that hasn't happened in a long time. Has Literotica stopped sweeping, or did these latest bombs just fall outside of whatever criteria the site uses to identify disingenuous votes?

Sweeps are still going on--even for non-contest entries.

I had some obvious 1* bombs and asked Laurel for a sweep. She removed some but not all.

Contest sweeps before the announcement of the winners can be brutal but I have noticed minor sweeps on some of my older stories in the last couple of weeks.

I had an anomalously low score for one part of a multi-part story, which is now scoring similarly to the other parts, presumably due to a sweep. My guess is it was because that particular chapter referred to Trump's cordial relationship with Putin in it (the story, submitted over a year ago pessimistically assumed that Trump would be president).

I've observed very little sweeping on my stories for some time.

My recent "other" pen name stories were swept in the last few days, but nothing happened with my this-pen name stories, of which there have been several in the recent month.

Out of curiosity, how do site administrators tell the difference between genuine 1 votes from readers who absolutely hated a story and bombing?

For example, if I wrote a shockingly bad story that ran to a massive 751 words, had no dialogue, plot or character development and it ended with '... and then they had sex and it was really good and they lived happily ever after.' chances are it will get 1 scores.

Or if I wrote a Loving Wives story about a pampered 27-year-old trophy wife who shows her gratitude to her rich, much older husband by having affairs with his son from his first marriage, a group of college footballers, a low life redneck from a trailer park and a man-hating feminist lesbian, with the cheating young woman getting away with her adulterous behavior, this story will be hated with amazing vitriol and cop plenty of 1 votes.

It's unfortunate because it lacks transparency, but it's probably good that laurel keeps the sweeps protocol somewhat mysterious so it can't be circumvented too easily.

Mine continue to be unswept since August. Maybe it's because I was fortunate enough to win or place in some recent contests and the site wants to reduce the chances of winning again. Sounds like a weird motive, but no one knows what the rationale is.

Mine continue to be unswept since August. Maybe it's because I was fortunate enough to win or place in some recent contests and the site wants to reduce the chances of winning again. Sounds like a weird motive, but no one knows what the rationale is.

I asked to have mine swept a few months ago when I got one starred across the board on all my stories. I didn't get a reply but they got swept. Now? I don't worry about it except for the competitions.And even there I'm just trying to go with the flow.....

I don't know. That sounds a little paranoid to me. My Valentine's Day entry placed, and afterwards for several months the story had about as many votes swept as it had added. That has slowed down now and votes are accumulating again.

Some of my stories had votes swept over a period of a few days at the end of October, coincident with the end of the Halloween contest.

They didn't all get swept. Older stories that don't get a lot of new votes and have been swept repeatedly before generally didn't get a sweep--probably because the votes that the system can identify as suspect have already been swept and the few new votes they got weren't suspicious.

Out of curiosity, how do site administrators tell the difference between genuine 1 votes from readers who absolutely hated a story and bombing?

For example, if I wrote a shockingly bad story that ran to a massive 751 words, had no dialogue, plot or character development and it ended with '... and then they had sex and it was really good and they lived happily ever after.' chances are it will get 1 scores.

Or if I wrote a Loving Wives story about a pampered 27-year-old trophy wife who shows her gratitude to her rich, much older husband by having affairs with his son from his first marriage, a group of college footballers, a low life redneck from a trailer park and a man-hating feminist lesbian, with the cheating young woman getting away with her adulterous behavior, this story will be hated with amazing vitriol and cop plenty of 1 votes.

The site apparently does have some criteria for distinguishing between genuine 1s and bad-faith 1s, because not all 1s get swept. There are stories out there with a perfect 1.0 average.

There are various methods that might be used to do that, but Laurel has asked that we not discuss those methods in detail, presumably to avoid suggesting ways to circumvent them.

She has? I must have missed that.

I can't find it just now, but IIRC there was at least one time when Laurel edited posts and closed the thread because people started getting into too much detail about the methods that might be used to identify spurious votes.

Edit: found it, took me a while to think of the right word to search on. Here's the thread that got closed: http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1228264&highlight=methods&page=5

See in particular this post: http://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=71012284&postcount=108 and the last one in the thread.

As best I can recall, the post of mine that got edited was intended as discussion about methods for IDing cheats - I certainly wasn't trying to provide a how-to. But obviously it's hard to discuss ways to catch cheats without acknowledging the ways that people might cheat, and evidently Laurel or another of the mods decided we were giving too much detail.

Last edited:
Back